PDA

View Full Version : Clemens to the Yankees...

sa_butta
05-06-2007, 02:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2862088

NEW YORK -- Roger Clemens (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3340) returned to the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy), making a dramatic announcement to fans from the owner's box during Sunday's game against the Seattle Mariners (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=sea).

Tippecanoe
05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
big surprise

(sarcasm if you really couldnt tell)

RogerIsEatingASandwich
05-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Welcome Back to NY, Roger. :)

SrA Husker
05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I hope the 44 year old, attention whoring, money grabbing, drama queen, liar, gay lover for andy pettite gets hit by a line drive.

I'm tired about having the Rocket side show each season. And he won't solve they Yankees pitching problems, and they will STILL miss the playoffs.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
05-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I hope the 44 year old, attention whoring, money grabbing, drama queen, liar, gay lover for andy pettite gets hit by a line drive.

I'm tired about having the Rocket side show each season. And he won't solve they Yankees pitching problems, and they will STILL miss the playoffs.

:rolleyes Classy..... :donkey

GrandeDavid
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Roger Clemens is an even bigger a-hole than Andy Pettitte. F- those jerks.

leemajors
05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
i think he will have a tougher time of it in the AL than the NL. i think this will leave the stros much more flexible to make a trade if they do so.

v2freak
05-06-2007, 07:55 PM
For all the people who made fun of Cat Mobley and Steve Francis, here's your next assignment.

And I don't expect Clemens to pull an ERA lower than 4.00 in the AL

Horry For 3!
05-07-2007, 01:23 AM
George Steinbrenner is a pathetic desperate person.

Clemens is going to make 4.5 mil a month.

Fuck you Roger Clemens for betraying the Astros and going back to the gay Yankees.

P.S. Fuck the Yankees

RogerIsEatingASandwich
05-07-2007, 01:28 AM
George Steinbrenner is a pathetic desperate person.

Clemens is going to make 4.5 mil a month.

Fuck you Roger Clemens for betraying the Astros and going back to the gay Yankees.

P.S. Fuck the Yankees

:dramaquee

Betraying the Astros?!!! Are you fucking kidding. LOL.
Bullshit. The Astros didn't wanna spend the money to give Andy or Roger any run support, I don't blame either of them for leaving Houston. Both Roger and Andy won Championships and had the most success of their careers while playing for The Yankees, they both owe Houston jack shit. Deal with it, get over it already.

:donkey

Horry For 3!
05-07-2007, 02:06 AM

Bullshit. The Astros didn't wanna spend the money to give Andy or Roger any run support, I don't blame either of them for leaving Houston. Both Roger and Andy won Championships and had the most success of their careers while playing for The Yankees, they both owe Houston jack shit. Deal with it, get over it already.

It is just the fact that I hate the Yankees. I hate the Yankees more than any sports organization in the world.

v2freak
05-07-2007, 05:19 AM
The Red Sox are racist?

Extra Stout
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 2006. 1/3 of his quality starts wasted with little/no run support. And this year the Astros' offense is even worse.

Gee, who could turn that down?

Jimcs50
05-07-2007, 08:54 AM
7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 2006. 1/3 of his quality starts wasted with little/no run support. And this year the Astros' offense is even worse.

Gee, who could turn that down?

I could not turn it down. If the Astros want to give me 11 million, I will sign for sure.

ducks
05-07-2007, 09:14 AM
rodger gets 1.25 million each time he pitches if he pitches once a week
yankees are way over the cap
How are they allowed to do this?

degenerate_gambler
05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
yankees are way over the cap
How are they allowed to do this?

to the best of my knowledge, baseball has no cap...yet.

leemajors
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
i'm disappointed he went to the yanks, but with as much money and fan support as he brought to houston the last few years, he doesn't owe houston anything. i am a little disappointed he didn't at least talk with houston (purpura said they hadn't talked since spring training), but NY was so desperate they bid too much for him. the stros would be better served spending that type of money elsewhere, and one of the young kids will get more starts now - which they need.

ATRAIN
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
As much as people say they sold out, I mean come on who wouldnt take that kind of money.

Burn531
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM

They gave Carlos Lee 100 million.

Spurminator
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I assume that if the Astros were truly interested in bringing Clemens on again, they probably have a "Roger Budget" that they can now put to better use. If that helps land another bat or two (who might also be around in April of next year) then this is just fine with me.

Trainwreck2100
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
They gave Carlos Lee 100 million.

Thats great, but where's the run support

v2freak
05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
si. http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/oct/redsox/

In accordance with the article, they're about as racist now as the Germans are

K-State Spur
05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
It's not enough. The Red Sox have too much pitching not to win the east and the wildcard is coming out of the central again.

Besides, who knows how effective Clemens will be. I know that he was good last year and I have no doubts that his arm is still in pretty decent shape.

But let's be honest, he'll be 45 before the end of the season and he's not exactly a work-out warrior.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Bill Simmons
~~~~~~~~

As for Clemens signing with the Yankees, I was surprised by my lack of emotion as I watched him pull a Jimmy Chitwood and address his forgiving lapdogs at Yankee Stadium (who seemed perfectly willing to forget that Clemens screwed them over a few years ago by fleeing to Houston). I didn't really care. I swear, I didn't care.

In fact, here are 10 reasons I'm happy the Rocket signed with the Yankees.

1. There's finally a villain on the 2007 Yankees. Just like the good old days. I was tired of talking myself into despising A-Rod and Posada.

2. Since he didn't sign with Boston, I wasn't put in the position of (A) having to boycott his starts and (B) feeling constantly sick because so many Red Sox fans would have been perfectly willing to forgive him if he came back. This would have been awful. I would not have handled it well. Now I get to look forward to the possibility of Clemens pitching in Fenway in three weeks while the entire crowd chants, "H-G-H! H-G-H! H-G-H! H-G-H!" Much better.

3. He burned his bridges with yet another city (Houston). Love when that happens.

4. Watching the inevitable "Brokeback Mountain" parody trailer on YouTube with Clemens and Andy Pettitte. It hasn't happened yet, but you know it's coming.

5. If he'd signed with Boston, between Dice-K Mania, Beckett's quest for 30 wins and the return of the greatest Red Sox pitcher ever, Curt Schilling might have snapped from a lack of attention -- we could have seen him break a baseball bat over a Japanese photographer's head just to grab the spotlight again. Glad we avoided this.

6. Honestly? I don't think Clemens will be that good for the Yanks. He turns 45 in August and has been pitching in an inferior hitting league for the past few years. Physically, it just doesn't add up. He's defying the career paths of every other pitcher in the the history of baseball … I mean, even a freak of nature like Nolan Ryan started to break down in his mid-40s. How is Clemens still chugging along? How? I just feel as though the odds of Clemens either breaking down or becoming involved in a massive scandal seem to be much greater than the odds of him continuing to be an elite pitcher. And if he stinks … it's going to be glorious. Just glorious.

7. The Yankees' clubhouse is already fragile enough … now they're adding a guy who abides by his own sets of rules, flies back home after every start, drags his kids around with him like Michael Jackson, and comes and goes when he pleases? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn't it? If he struggles out of the gate, the Yankees' fans will turn on him faster than the WWE fans turning on John Cena during a pay-per-view.

8. We're coming closer and closer to my dream of Clemens' Hall of Fame plaque featuring a cap with a dollar sign on it. I feel as if that's a genuine possibility at this point.

9. The Red Sox spitefully giving No. 21 to someone else this season, preferably the worst pitcher on the team. In fact, I vote that they bring Rich Garces back, feed him burritos until he passes the 400-pound mark, then squash him into a No. 21 jersey and hire him as the bullpen coach.

10. Looking forward to an entire season of e-mails like these …

RC in Guatemala City: "So let me get this straight … we're supposed to be scared of the Yankees hiring a 45-year-old fat dude with groin problems? Really?"

Jason T. in Maine: "I'm happy Roger is going to the Yankees. Trying to bring him back to Boston made me feel like Forrest Gump at the end of the movie. You know, when Jenny, the used-up coke fiend, came back to Forrest to die of AIDS after screwing half the continent. After the last two series, the amount of hate for the Yankees, at least in my heart, was in serious decline. Now I feel reinvigorated, full of hate for all things pinstriped."

Gary in Somerville, Mass.: "I thought you were nuts last year when you were openly hoping that Roger didn't come back to Boston. But after he dangled himself in front of the Yanks, Sox and Astros AGAIN this year I snapped out of it and realized that some things just aren't worth another championship. That grotesque display today IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME told me I made the right choice. Am I the only one that finds this Clemens/Pettitte thing more than a little odd? I can imagine that when Roger told his wife that he was going back to the Yankees she had the same look on her face that Michelle Williams did when Heath Ledger told her he was going 'fishing' with Jake Gyllenhaal."

John F. in Kansas: "This is historic … who ever heard of a rat jumping ON a sinking ship?"'

hahahha love the Cena reference.

Jimcs50
05-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Clemens makes more money in 4 months than the entire 25 man roster on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays whose payroll is 24 million....unbelievable.

dmac
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
big surprise

(sarcasm if you really couldnt tell)
So The Rocket will help the Yankees win the World Series, like he helped Houston?

ATRAIN
05-10-2007, 10:01 AM
So The Rocket will help the Yankees win the World Series, like he helped Houston?

That still hurts man. I still honestly believe that if we would have signed Beltran we would have had a better chance that year.