PDA

View Full Version : I hate the blood rule

baseline bum
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
The blood rule is stupid, and a direct result of piece of shit Karl Malone's ignorance and whining when Magic returned. There's no risk of HIV infection in playing a basketball game not involving Baron Davis and Dirk Nowitzki. I felt really bad for Nash having to sit out those couple of critical possessions. I'm ecstatic about the win, and I think we take it regardless of whether Nash is playing, but you hate to see them not get the chance.

Dingle Barry
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I agree. The rule shows extreme ignorance of the facts re: HIV transmission.

MmP
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
The blood rules is right. It's not out there just because of HIV, if you're in contact with someone else's blood you may get other diseases as well.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 05:36 PM
It sucks that the Suns lost Nash for critical end-of-games possession, but the blood rule is a perfectly sound one.

It's not just about HIV. Hepatitis is much bigger risk.

E20
This game really reminded me of Rocky, Mark Jackson mentioned it as well and I agree.

Nash is a baller thought with that phat gash and still trying to get in.

sribb43
The blood rule is stupid, and a direct result of piece of shit Karl Malone's ignorance and whining when Magic returned. There's no risk of HIV infection in playing a basketball game not involving Baron Davis and Dirk Nowitzki. I felt really bad for Nash having to sit out those couple of critical possessions. I'm ecstatic about the win, and I think we take it regardless of whether Nash is playing, but you hate to see them not get the chance.

ignorant statement, and classes jab at Dirk and Baron

WalterBenitez
I agree. The rule shows extreme ignorance of the facts re: HIV transmission.

In FIBA's world is about protecting the one who is bleeding besides that HIV

Tek_XX
Yeah i'll bet ya'll feel fine going out with cuts and bruises and some guy is gushing blood. And yes it's not just about HIV

Borosai
05-06-2007, 05:37 PM
It is a good rule. I wouldn't want to get someone else's blood on me...sweat is bad enough. It's not just about HIV...hepatitis, nodefensus...all those things are transmittable by blood. Also, I don't want blood on the ball or my eyes or on the floor. The team doctor failed at his job today...congrats.

baseline bum
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
There's no blood rule in any other sport. It's straight up ignorance just because the NBA is the only league to have someone play in it who was known to be HIV positive. It was somewhat justifiable 15 years ago when we didn't know as much about HIV, but it's an antiquated rule that has no rational reason for being applied now.

sribb43
05-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah i'll bet ya'll feel fine going out with cuts and bruises and some guy is gushing blood. And yes it's not just about HIV
Couldnt agree more, no one wants somone else's blood on them especially at the extent Nash was bleeding

ALVAREZ6
The rule is understandable...the thing is that it's most obvious in the sport of basketball. In football and other sports with all the equipment and the types of uniforms, blood can be a little less obvious, especially with a larger team on 11 people.

I just think they should have done it differently. They should have taped the shit out of his nose with your typical white sports tape on top of a few bandaids. These dumbfucks kept putting on and taking off several bandaids. Every 5 seconds, Nash had a different band aid on his face.

Aggie Hoopsfan
When medics respond to accidents, they use gloves to prevent contact with bodily fluids (including blood).

If a medical EMT has to worry about it, why the outrage over the NBA doing the same? Weak take.

baseline bum
ignorant statement, and classes jab at Dirk and Baron

111-86

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I think the bottom line is the Suns go out and hire a new team doc tomorrow :lol That guy who couldn't stop the bleeding is going to get canned.

WalterBenitez
There's no blood rule in any other sport. It's straight up ignorance just because the NBA is the only league to have someone play in it who was known to be HIV positive. It was somewhat justifiable 15 years ago when we didn't know as much about HIV, but it's an antiquated rule that has no rational reason for being applied now.
Í assume your world have 2 square feets, right? :rolleyes

sribb43
111-86

ya, thats a good one
:rolleyes :rolleyes

thispego
a player cant be on the court if he's dripping blood all over the place. thats a hazard.
it was just stupid of phoenix to keep using butterfly bandaids and not completely drying his face whenever they put them on. the blood kept pouring out the sides and the bandaid kept coming off.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
This is the first time I can recall where the blood rule might have made the difference in the outcome of the game.

One game in fifteen years.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I dislike the rule typically, but I've never seen an NBA player bleed that much. That had to be a safety issue. I wish they could have given them time for Nash to get back in, but that isn't fair to the Spurs. Fortunately, Nash initiated the contact that resulted in the cut. It would suck to win if a Spur had caused the cut.

sribb43
05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
if the yankees can fire there strength coach, suns should do the same with that guy

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's amazing that the trainers don't keep steptic pencil on the sideline.

word
05-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I'll say this. Suns trainer is no good at his job, imho.

Aggie Hoopsfan
And it wasn't just about him bleeding. They would have been stopping play every two seconds when Nash bled on the court to wipe it up.

ALVAREZ6
if the yankees can fire there strength coach, suns should do the same with that guyThat guy definitely blew.

Ginofan
05-06-2007, 05:46 PM
BaselineBum, you are way off base on this one buddy. The blood rule should be enacted in every physical sport. HIV isn't the only disease out there transferrable by blood, there's numerous types of Hep C out there as well. I'm sorry if I was out there playing I wouldn't want to be near any dude gushing blood all over the place. Get with the program.

some_user86
05-06-2007, 05:46 PM

That's just dumb. The blood rule is perfectly sound. Its standard precautionary procedure to treat all blood as potentially infective until proven not.

The CDC clearly states that, although less frequent, HIV can be transmitted via presence of contaminated blood in an open cut or through mucous membranes (eyes, etc).

As someone else said, hepatitis is by far the greater risk I would be worried about.

Jeez, your post is perhaps the most asinine thing I have ever read.

What a moron.

sribb43
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Is that trainer on the Spurs payroll bc he did an awful job just piling up bandaids one on top ofthe other

TampaDude
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's amazing that the trainers don't keep steptic pencil on the sideline.

Nah, styptic wouldn't have helped...he was really bleeding...if this had been a boxing match, the ref would've stopped the fight.

ALVAREZ6
05-06-2007, 05:49 PM
:ttiwwp:

PM5K
05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
If it was a small cut it would be one thing, but this was a gusher, blood would have been everywhere, including the floor...

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Nah, styptic wouldn't have helped...he was really bleeding...if this had been a boxing match, the ref would've stopped the fight.
I should have picked one thread to mention this in. :) I hadn't seen this thread yet. It probably wouldn't have worked, especially on a nose cut, but it seems like, when stopping bleeding is a priority, it would be part of the trainer's kit.

I betcha it will be from now on in Phoenix.

ATXSPUR
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
shiiit you cant feel bad when you are up against a baller like nash....its not like this is the oralando magic we are talkin about. the same thing could happen to us next game...idk but against the suns you have to take everything you get.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
The nose and scalp are amazingly vascular. You can actually bleed out from a scalp laceration if it's not controlled.

Does anyone know if that was just a superficial cut or did Nash break it?

Tek_XX
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't know. What could of the trainer done differently to stop the bleeding. I'm no doctor but i would assume their are limitations when dealing with the nose besides totally wrapping the head which wasn't an option here.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
The nose and scalp are amazingly vascular. You can actually bleed out from a scalp laceration if it's not controlled.

Does anyone know if that was just a superficial cut or did Nash break it?
Looked broken to me.

temujin
05-06-2007, 05:55 PM

1) Most other sports with contact -rugby, soccer, waterpolo, handball- have the rule.

2) The risk of getting infected is minimal -hepatitis B and C>>>>>>>>>>>>HIV- but it is perfectly rationale to keep it at ZERO by preventing a bleeding player to play.

SilverPlayer
05-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Feel bad for Phoenix on this particular loss, I would not have minded the Suns cutting power "accidentally" to pause the action for a while. They do need to give the team a little more time for clot action, especially in the playoffs.

ForestBrain
05-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I sure as heck wouldn't want some guy's blood on me.
The starter of this thread is an idiot.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Can't agree with you on this one.

Most physical contact sports have a blood rule - rugby league, rugby union, AFL, etc. I'd be surprised if the NFL doesn't have one, but they do wear a lot of padding.

With the number of sexual partners some of these guys have, no way I want to go near their blood!

It's a good rule. Bad luck for Nash today, but a good rule.

JsnSA
05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Its unfortunate that Nash had to sit out at the most critical time of the game...but that rule is necessary.

That being said...you would think they could wrap some gauze strips around his head a few times to keep the blood from flowing too much.

some_user86
05-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I think they should have used SuperGlue. I kid you not. It had been used in one of the World Wars or perhaps Vietnam War, and is remarkably effective in sealing up wounds.

Cyanoacrylate (what's in SuperGlue) is even sold as a medical adhesive, as far as I know.

Yup... just checked Dermabond.

God, I love chemistry. :)

clubalien
05-06-2007, 06:00 PM
they need a new blood guy! he sucked at that. I wouldn't fire him since I assume that isn't his opnly job. I thoght maybe they should of put a big patch or a towel and then cover it with one of those mases that covers the nose, was it ricky davis that wears one of those of detriot?. Then the refs couldn't see any blood.

Tek_XX
05-06-2007, 06:01 PM
The blood rule is sound and usually doesn't really effect the game when a player does have blood on them. But in this case there's no way you let a blood gusher back in the game. Blood would be everywhere.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
Oh, and to all those who have called BB an idiot, HE IS NOT. He's one of the smartest posters in Spurstalk, just not on this particular topic. ;)

Obstructed_View
I can't imagine that a big jagged cut across the nose could be closed up with CA. You've gotta have surfaces to join. There was too much blood and swelling across his nose.

Obstructed_View
Oh, and to all those who have called BB an idiot, HE IS NOT. He's one of the smartest posters in Spurstalk, just not on this particular topic. ;)
+1. I disagree with his take in this case, but he always brings good stuff.

King
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I think the funniest part of this thread are all the people questioning the manner of medical attention by the guy who went to f'ing medical school. He's probably dealt with at least one cut in his career. Maybe, maybe two cuts.

Question coaching moves all you want, but this is probably one situation where you should shut up and defer to the guy who makes at least six figures doing what he does.

PM5K
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I think the biggest problem with Dermabond is that you have to stop the blood first, it's not a miracle worker, it's just less painful than stitches and I think is less likely to leave a scar...

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah, once that sucker started swelling it was over. Nothing you could do without stitches.

Oh, and cut BB some slack. Have you ever tried posting from a VT100?

Danny
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
What a frustrating way to lose. The rule is legit, but in a big time game something like that shouldn't keep a team's best player off the floor. There should be a set time limit to get the blood to stop coming out, say 5 minutes, even though that might not have been enough time to get him back in immediately, he could have got in for the last few possessions.

PM5K
05-06-2007, 06:07 PM
What a frustrating way to lose. The rule is legit, but in a big time game something like that shouldn't keep a team's best player off the floor. There should be a set time limit to get the blood to stop coming out, say 5 minutes, even though that might not have been enough time to get him back in immediately, he could have got in for the last few possessions.

I agree in that it would be nice to be able to avoid a situation like this in the future, although it doesn't happen very often.

In this sport pace is very important, that's why we don't have instant replay like football, but at the same time we do have it at the end of the game and for the same reason it would be nice to have a rule for players who are bleeding at the end of the game because having a guy like Steve Nash in at the end of the game is that important...

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Only trouble is, it isn't fair to the other team, particularly since Nash sustained the cut committing a foul.

Supergirl

Dude, back to HIV Education 101 with you.

The concept it very simple: "Universal precautions." Assume EVERYONE you encounter is HIV positive and protect yourself accordingly. That means, always wear a condom, and no blood contact whatsoever.

Pro ball players have a million little cuts on them from all the hits they do/take, and there's no reason to assume anyone isn't HIV positive.

easjer
Sorry - it's better off the way they played it. At one point he was dripping blood on the court. It was all over his jersey and hands. He was only out for 45 seconds of that last minute. Sucky - it just seemed like a lot longer than it was.

temujin
05-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Even for scalp or nose the bleeding seemed to go on for a long time.

Way too long.

I wonder whether Nash was on some anti-inflammatory drugs.

Tek_XX
05-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I would have been in favor of calling the game at that point if he couldn't come back in.

easjer
05-06-2007, 06:13 PM

Way too long.

Eh. I think it had more to do with never staunching the flow in the first place. The bandages were never properly affixed, because of blood and sweat that wasn't properly dried.

Although they said that they tried a lot of stuff (including the mixture that burned his eyes - remember him washing them out?).

timvp
05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
The blood rule should be even tougher. There's no way a player should have been allowed on the court with blood pouring like that.

Trainwreck2100
05-06-2007, 06:14 PM
If it was used in football b, if something like this happened, they would just use duct tape

ShoogarBear
Taking a Motrin might make some difference, but probably not a lot.

I got a head lac running into a wall while playing hoops and bled for 45 minutes until I got to an ER.

That scar was huge, and with the swelling it was just going to be tough to stop.

Gaddabout
I think it's a good rule, and I was screaming for the Suns to just take Nash to the locker room and get stitches. I felt it was D'Antoni's fault for not giving the team better direction -- "Hey, we're going to win this without Nash. We can do it." At the very least, I thought the Suns had a chance to set themselves up for OT, and Nash might've returned with a stitched up nose ready to make some big shots.

No excuses here. Good rule. Spurs beat the Suns and, I think, the refs. On to Game 2.

jmard5
Only trouble is, it isn't fair to the other team, particularly since Nash sustained the cut committing a foul.

Very true. I hate it that this happened in the closing minutes of the game, especially to Nash since he is a classy player.

Wonder if they would ever allow the blood rule in UFC? :lol

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I would have been in favor of calling the game at that point if he couldn't come back in.:lol

Yeah, that would have gone over well.

SilverPlayer
05-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Way too long.

A) Everyone in the NBA is on an anti-inflammatory over the age of 30...nothing wrong with that.

B) His blood pressure went up as soon as he would step back on the court causing it to start gushing again.

C) Removing and replacing the band aids probably exacerbated the bleeding.

ALVAREZ6
05-06-2007, 06:17 PM
C) Removing and replacing the band aids probably exacerbated the bleeding.retarded trainer

I'm telling you, adhesive tape would have done it. Fucking idiots.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
I think the bottom line is the Suns go out and hire a new team doc tomorrow :lol That guy who couldn't stop the bleeding is going to get canned.
I think that wound required stitches.

Danny

Not having the MVP in the game in crunch time because of a bloody nose isn't the fairest thing either. This rule is a delicate one, but when it comes down to it the best players should be on the floor if they can and Nash could have been if he was given time.

The pause might not have benefited the Spurs, but it wouldn't do much for the Suns shooters either.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I didn't read the thread but ...

1. D'Antoni should have sent him to the locker room immediately, then they could have gotten the blood stopped and the trainer stitched him. I'm not sure who f'd up - but he would have missed a lot less time if that happened, instead of trying to dab it with a tissue and sending him right back in.

2. The Suns were probably just as good today with Barbosa on the floor as they were with Nash on the floor, so if Nash was in, it probably wouldn't have changed the game's outcome.

3. The Spurs were already up when he got hurt - so it's not like the Suns lost a lead because he was out.

Overall my thoughts are that the Suns must have a crap training staff.

PM5K
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I don't know, maybe it would have helped to just put some gauze and a lot of pressure for as long as possible then bandage it, seemed like he underestimated the ammount of blood that was going to come out...

dmac
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM

The best cut man in boxing couldn't stop that gash. I'd think he'll need a few stitches.

timvp
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I got a head lac running into a wall while playing hoops

Shoog Frerotte.

temujin
05-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Eh. I think it had more to do with never staunching the flow in the first place. The bandages were never properly affixed, because of blood and sweat that wasn't properly dried.

Although they said that they tried a lot of stuff (including the mixture that burned his eyes - remember him washing them out?).

Under these circumstances there is nothing the physicians could have done.

It's just back luck.

If the Suns even faintly think that this is reason why they lost, they are in trouble.
And I really wonder whether D'antoni is the best man to erase that thinking.........

THE SIXTH MAN
05-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I think it's a good rule, and I was screaming for the Suns to just take Nash to the locker room and get stitches. I felt it was D'Antoni's fault for not giving the team better direction --
Well not just that, but at that point it became a distraction. The whole time everybody on the Suns bench is paying attention to Nash. Meanwhile the Spurs are talking about the game plan and staying focused. If I'm a suns fan I'm pissed at D'antoni for not sending him to the locker room after assessing the situation and getting my squad focused and in the game.

ALVAREZ6
05-06-2007, 06:22 PM
The best cut man in boxing couldn't stop that gash. bullshit

I could have gotten Nash in with a band aid and a few layers of adhesive tape.

Tek_XX
05-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I doubt our man could've stopped that bleeding. I don't think that cut was made to be bandaged and sent on it's way. It needed stitches.

SilverPlayer
05-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Well not just that, but at that point it became a distraction. The whole time everybody on the Suns bench is paying attention to Nash. Meanwhile the Spurs are talking about the game plan and staying focused. If I'm a suns fan I'm pissed at D'antoni for not sending him to the locker room after assessing the situation and getting my squad focused and in the game.

very good point.

temujin
05-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Locker room immediately?

If the guy is on some anti-iflammatory for something, the nose is STILL bleeding.....

If he is not, the game would have been over anyway.

PM5K
05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Again, I don't know that Dantoni realized how much it was going to bleed, I think we all initially thought they'd be able to patch him up quickly...

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/26/images/medium/FLO_1_td26jack_215180_0526.jpg

Borosai
05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I just saw some pictures of the doc treating the cut, and I think I spotted the problem...it was those ridiculous purple rubber gloves. WTF was that trainer thinking?!

SpursDork
05-06-2007, 06:35 PM
No f'in way.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070506/capt.d6ce105fc3344d75b72be1b8860ac0aa.spurs_suns_b asketball_pnu109.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070506/capt.f5cf1c6947914e54a10964f85e318c87.spurs_suns_b asketball_pnu110.jpg

bonesinaz
05-06-2007, 06:35 PM
It sucks that the Suns lost Nash for critical end-of-games possession, but the blood rule is a perfectly sound one.

It's not just about HIV. Hepatitis is much bigger risk.

Bingo.

easjer
05-06-2007, 06:37 PM
They just said it required 6 stitches to close.

Seriously doubt there was anything the guy on the sidelines could have done to stop it if it required that much work.

Granted they thought it would staunch up a bit, but when it didn't and he's bleeding on to the court - take him back, clean it up and stitch it up.

Cherry
05-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Can you stop that bleeding with a pach? :wtf

Kori Ellis
05-06-2007, 06:40 PM
They just said it required 6 stitches to close.

Seriously doubt there was anything the guy on the sidelines could have done to stop it if it required that much work.

Granted they thought it would staunch up a bit, but when it didn't and he's bleeding on to the court - take him back, clean it up and stitch it up.

Well he should have immediately gone to the locker room, stopped the blood and then stitched him.

Bringing him back in after a couple minutes, letting him bleed all over, distracting everyone, then putting him back and forth in and out of the game was a pretty bush league way to handle it.

I'm pretty sure he could have been back on the court much faster if he would have gone to the locker room and got stitched. Brent Barry got five stitches a couple times and was back in just a couple minutes.

easjer
05-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Well he should have immediately gone to the locker room, stopped the blood and then stitched him.

Bringing him back in after a couple minutes, letting him bleed all over, distracting everyone, then putting him back and forth in and out of the game was a pretty bush league way to handle it.

I'm pretty sure he could have been back on the court much faster if he would have gone to the locker room and got stitched. Brent Barry got five stitches a couple times and was back in just a couple minutes.

Agreed.

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 06:43 PM
No f'in way.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070506/capt.d6ce105fc3344d75b72be1b8860ac0aa.spurs_suns_b asketball_pnu109.jpg

wow, It is allowed to use adhesive in NBA's world ?... in soccer it is very common to use that, I got my little nose kicked once and the doc stopped the blood in 1 minute, but I couldn't think for a week :D
:fight

1Parker1
05-06-2007, 06:44 PM

:tu

Exactly, during the ensuing time out, I saw both Amare and Boris Diaw amongst others standing around Nash and the trainer instead of following D Antoni and his game plan. And instead of D Antoni gathering his players around and actually using the timeout successfully, he spend some time bitching to the refs about the away from the ball foul committed by Barbosa earlier.

D Antoni cost the Suns this game. If he could learn to keep his composure and calm, instead of getting easily rattled by bad calls...which is bound to happen in the playoffs, he'd get a lot more respect as a coach from me.

PM5K
05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Boxers also often need stitches to close cuts, their corner guys get one minute to stop it and then their guy gets punched in the face for three minutes after that, and they get to use bandages which they don't in boxing, I wouldn't be surprised if a good boxing cutman could have taken care of it...

Borosai
05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree that the gash was quite large...probably an inch long running down the bridge of his nose. The trainer, at that point, should have made the right call and stitched it up. He kept applying bandages (wrong shape at first) over and over again, and on top of other bloody bandages. The corners of the bandages were bothering his eyes, and to make it worse, I'm pretty sure he got some blood and/or whatever they were applying to the cut in his eye as well.

There's no way he goes out on the court like that, dripping blood all over the place.

JPB
05-06-2007, 06:50 PM

I like the way the doc's gloves and shirt are harmonised !

Maybe he should have care more about the nose than his total look !

td4mvp3
05-06-2007, 06:51 PM
in one of those pics, nash looks a bit like hannibal lecture.

SALegacy
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
If a small artery is cut, it has got to be stitched up. And the nose is covered with small superficial arteries. No "cutman" in the world can stop it without stitching it. He needed five minutes of direct pressure on the wound followed by suturing it closed. The bandaids were a joke and the team doctor knew it. He was just being pressured to get Nash back in the game.

SpursDork
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Not for the queesy :lol

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0506/nba_a_bloodynash_412.jpg

ashbeeigh
05-06-2007, 06:53 PM
The worst thing that happened that sending him back out there with new bandages, it's been said several times. The trainer was a complete dumbshit not to realize that the cut needed stiches. Even in such a high intensity, high profile game like this, the health of the player should be more important than winning the game (and I'm not just saying that because it was Steve Nash, if it had been Tony, I would have been wondering the same thing).

As for the blood rule, it's a necessary rule and I'm shocked that more sports don't have it. It's necessary because blood isn't a common side effect, like in soccer, hockey, or football. I say that because in soccer and football you get scarpped and banged up, whereas hockey there are blades involved. The only thing I can honselty see blood being involved in in basketball, on a common basis, is running into someone who may have too long of nails or some crap like that.

Some may say the game may have turned out differently is Nash had played, and my rtesponse is, "Shit happens."

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 06:53 PM

And they got the Sun's colours :p:

exstatic
05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
The refs should never have let him back in the first time. We were discussing this at the GTG. If they refused to let him back in, maybe the Suns run him into the locker room, take 3 quick stitches, and have him back out there for the last 1:30 or so.

I feel bad for the folks that had to watch that in HD. Gross.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
:lol Those purple gloves are the latex-free ones. The match to the shirt and PHX colors just happens to be a coincidence.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
The refs should never have let him back in the first time. We were discussing this at the GTG. If they refused to let him back in, maybe the Suns run him into the locker room, take 3 quick stitches, and have him back out there for the last 1:30 or so.

I feel bad for the folks that had to watch that in HD. Gross.

True the first time he came back in, he was dripping on the floor and then wiping his face with his jersey.

:vomit:

JPB
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0506/nba_a_bloodynash_412.jpg

DOC : HERE !... So, what do you think about your new nose, Mr Nash ? The same as Sarah michelle Gellar's one as you asked !

Nash : HUMMM...

bonesinaz
05-06-2007, 06:59 PM
:tu

Exactly, during the ensuing time out, I saw both Amare and Boris Diaw amongst others standing around Nash and the trainer instead of following D Antoni and his game plan. And instead of D Antoni gathering his players around and actually using the timeout successfully, he spend some time bitching to the refs about the away from the ball foul committed by Barbosa earlier.

D Antoni cost the Suns this game. If he could learn to keep his composure and calm, instead of getting easily rattled by bad calls...which is bound to happen in the playoffs, he'd get a lot more respect as a coach from me.

You are right, D'Antoni should keep his composure, but he won't.

schadenfreude52
05-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Those are just purple nitrile gloves. We use them all the time in the lab I work in. They're not your normal gloves in that they are more puncture resistant and don't contain latex, which causes allergic reactions for a number of people.

As far as the purple color--that actually has a purpose. For one thing, it makes it easier to distinguish between other varieties of gloves. Plus, it makes it easier to spot holes in case they do puncture.

Can't believe I dedicated a post to gloves on a basketball forum...

ShoogarBear
05-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Can't believe I dedicated a post to gloves on a basketball forum...Yep, that's the mark of a real lamer.

word
05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I sure as heck wouldn't want some guy's blood on me.
The starter of this thread is an idiot.

Don't play in the NFL.

ploto
05-06-2007, 07:14 PM
For all the medical experts in this thread- there is no way they could have stopped the bleeding and sewn his nose up in the time they had. Not the kind of cut he had and where he had it. A cut of that sort was not going to stop bleeding with a couple of minutes of pressure or with some super glue or anything else.

jmard5
05-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Can't believe I dedicated a post to gloves on a basketball forum...

Hey, but a nice piece of info anyway. We are one day wiser. :clap

ducks
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I wanted nash on the court
but nash did do on the court and make a big three and he was bleeding then
had the game been in sa no sure if nash would have every seen the court again

ducks
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
what bugged me about nash making the three was if the rule says you can not be on the court
why did he get on the court and make the three
I wanted no excuses but if it is the rule you have to follow them

J21
05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Thats stupid. first maybe Nash had to sit out, becuase he was losing so much blood. It would not stop bleeding. Also what player would want to get someone else's blood on them HIV or not. I'm sure you wouldn't.

DDS4
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
For all the medical experts in this thread- there is no way they could have stopped the bleeding and sewn his nose up in the time they had. Not the kind of cut he had and where he had it. A cut of that sort was not going to stop bleeding with a couple of minutes of pressure or with some super glue or anything else.

1. That gash needed sutures. Period.

2. Bandage + not enough pressure = no fucking way the bleeding stops. Even worse, taking an inadequate bandage on and off multiple times.

3. With his heart rate up and blood vessels dilating, blood pours more than usual.

Trainer(s) made one mistake after another.

SpursWoman
05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Eh ... he needed medical attention. I believe his machismo is safe.

sprrs
05-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Not having the MVP in the game in crunch time because of a bloody nose isn't the fairest thing either. This rule is a delicate one, but when it comes down to it the best players should be on the floor if they can and Nash could have been if he was given time.

The pause might not have benefited the Spurs, but it wouldn't do much for the Suns shooters either.

Did you see how long it took for him to come out and do the post-game interview? It was a good 15-20 minutes after the game at least. No way he would have been able to make it back. At least not the way they were treating him on the floor.

As other people said, he should have been taken to the locker room immediately and the Suns should have tried to kill as much time as possible. The application and reapplication of band-aids was only making his entire nose bloodier and dirtier which was making it even more difficult to stop.

MajicMan
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Why is it stupid? Basketball is a contact sport. All you have to do is get a cut or a nick and you could be infected with whatever. Aids is a liftime sentence. Don't be a tool bag.

Useruser666
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.studio8.net/images/Ebay/Funny_Nose_glasses.JPG

Case closed!

Kori Ellis
05-06-2007, 08:07 PM

So since you are the medical expert, then you are advocating letting him run around the court spewing blood and then dabbing it with dirty bandaids? :lol

Getting him to the locker room ASAP was the best way they had a chance to tend to him properly and try to stop the blood and stitch him.

Brent Barry was pouring, just pouring blood from near his eye this season. And he got the blood stopped and stitched and back on the court very quickly. I'm not saying that Nash was the same situation, but I don't have to be a frickin doctor to see with my eyes that it wasn't handled in the best way possible.

MajicMan
05-06-2007, 08:16 PM
The Phoenix trainer just sucked. I've seen cutmen in boxing and mma that would have stopped the bleeding within minutes. Phoenix physician =douchebag. I bet all his colleagues were laughing their asses off at him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I don't have to be a frickin doctor to see with my eyes that it wasn't handled in the best way possible.

Hell after a few years of playing intermural sports in college I've seen enough people busted open in enough ways to tell that thing was going to need to stitches.

The Suns could have hit a few more shots or gotten the right calls and forced OT and Nash still would have been bleeding on the sidelines through it all. Sucks the way it happened but you have to respect Nash for being one tough bastard through it all.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Anyway, Nash was -12 today and Barbosa +4. So maybe they were better off without him :)

Nash will be fine. Hopefully Parker is okay too.

nkdlunch
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
that doctor needs to get fired. he sucks! but anyway that cut was bad, maybe noone could have done any better.

and having a stupid blood rule > someone getting aids on the court

Purple & Gold
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Anyway, Nash was -12 today and Barbosa +4. So maybe they were better off without him :)

Nash will be fine. Hopefully Parker is okay too.
I might have agreed if I hadn't seen those two fouls Barbosa committed.

TampaDude
05-06-2007, 08:49 PM
True the first time he came back in, he was dripping on the floor and then wiping his face with his jersey.

:vomit:

Yeah, I saw that...I'm surprised the refs didn't stop the game and get him off the court then.

SpursWoman
05-06-2007, 08:57 PM

There are a couple of medical experts in this thread. :lol

DampierAmGod
05-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Yea, lets just allow players to bleed all over the place and get the court slippery and endanger everyones lives. There are more bloodborne diseases than HIV you know.

Marcus Bryant
05-06-2007, 09:04 PM
1-0.

TampaDude
05-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Scoreboard...'nuff said...

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
At this point I assume Suns lost because a band aid? ...just kidding ... I hope Steve get better soon ... new mask is coming, right?

sabar
05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Problem is they tried to rush him out with the bandaids, but by the time they realized the bleeding wasn't going to stop without stitches, it was too late to do that and get him back in-game, so the only options were either stitching him and missing the last possessions, or do a hack-job barely passable by the rules to get him in the court.

They obviously tried the latter. Oh well.

Blood rule is good, Nash was dripping all over the place and blood is slippery.

possessed
05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I'll say this. Suns trainer is no good at his job, imho.
Super glue is your friend in this case.

SequSpur
05-07-2007, 12:11 AM
lmao.. Nash is bleeding profusely.... and you're pissed about Magic Johnson.. :lmao

WTF?

lefty
05-07-2007, 12:12 AM
:donkey