PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a Shakeup? Should Manu start?

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Manu's played pretty bad for the entire postseason (even though he fought through it tonight). His impact on the Suns in 2005 started with stealing the jump balls. Is it time to start him? If he has a bad game 2 do you do it in game 3?

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Didn't we win?

Amuseddaysleeper
if it aint broke, don't fix it

but manu needs to do somehting out there

i mean it's one thing if he keeps taking it to the rim and is missing shots, but completely something else if he hardly bothers to take it to the rim in the first place.

he did have an almost double double with 8 points and 9 rebounds for whatever that's worth

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
Why fix it if its not broken? We have won 5 in a row

Tippecanoe
05-06-2007, 06:17 PM
i dont think pop'll do anything to the lineup as long as we keep winning. but if we drop a couple games, it may happen

PM5K
Michael Finley, GF 36 6-11 3-7 4-5 0 3 3 1 0 0 1 2 19

samikeyp
No. Stay with what works. Not doing that killed the Spurs last postseason.

Ginofan
I don't know what the hell is up with him. He seems almost scared to drive the ball. But I'm not sure shaking up the starting line-up now would solve his problems.

upTD
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Manu's played pretty bad for the entire postseason (even though he fought through it tonight). His impact on the Suns in 2005 started with stealing the jump balls. Is it time to start him? If he has a bad game 2 do you do it in game 3?

we are for win, not for someone. you see?

dknights411
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Finley's getting it done right now, so why even worry?

jmard5
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey, Finley is playing good lately with his clutch shots. Manu was just saddled with foul trouble.

No lineup fixing since it ain't broken.

ALVAREZ6
05-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Didn't we win??

No.

But he should start. He needs more minutes to run wild against PHX.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Didn't we win?
It's just a question. Do you ever answer them?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Manu plays with both Tony and Tim, so there's no point in using him as a spark off the bench since both Tim and Tony overlap with the bench anyway

but Finley starting makes me reluctant to see Manu in the Starting lineup. Because he's a good catch and shoot guy.

Pop shouldn't have to wait til the six minute mark to put Manu in though. Manu definitely isn't in Rhythm in these playoffs, and the fact that he had amazing regular season performances of 30 + points and scoring binges of 25 or 15 in quarters makes me disappointed in Manu's crappy no-show appearance. He brings the Spurs up to ungodly levels when he's on. So it sucks to see him play like shit.

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 06:22 PM
It's just a question. Do you ever answer them?No.

But to answer your question, no.

traitoravery
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I predict breakout game for Manu this Series!!!

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
No.

But to answer your question, no.
I just spit soda across the room. :lol :lol

Tek_XX
05-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Today Manu wasn't playing well, it was either good defense or just Manu not having a good game. There's no need to change what isn't broken. Manu just needs to step up.

Borosai
05-06-2007, 06:28 PM
He needs to make his free throws...starting won't help that either.

Everyone is expecting him to have a great series, so I hope he shows up next time.

my2sons
05-06-2007, 06:28 PM
spurs scored 110 points, can make stops and overcome questionable calls as could phoenix and some lightbulb wants to shake up the starting lineup. This is a typical spurs suns game, amare is allowed to dominate and try to stop the others....

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I just asked the question. Nobody else wondered about it? It's not like the move is without precedent, folks.

Tek_XX
05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I just asked the question. Nobody else wondered about it? It's not like the move is without precedent, folks.

We pondered and answered your stupid question, time to move on bitch.

NEXT

GrandeDavid
05-06-2007, 06:35 PM

You raise an interesting question, my friend. My dominant instinct is to leave things as is...however, my weaker instinct says it might be interesting to throw a different look at the Suns.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:37 PM
We pondered and answered your stupid question, time to move on bitch.

NEXT
Um. Fuck you.

powerpower
05-06-2007, 06:38 PM
we are for win, not for someone. you see?

well...yes...but we did for finley why not for MANU

TMTTRIO
05-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I have to admit it's crossed my mind. I remember when he used to get the ball at tip-off and go ahead and go to the basket and score right away. I miss those days :depressed . Now all he does is stand around and watch and when he gets the ball he shoots instead of being aggressive and driving to the hoop :depressed

easjer
05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Don't start fucking with it until we lose.

He gets the minutes. There is something inside him holding him back and if it comes down to not being a starter (though for all intents and purposes he is), then fuck him. He's a pro getting paid big bucks. He needs to deliver. At least he's trying.

aaronstampler
05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't think he's scared to drive, but it bothers me how fashionable it has become to hit him in the face during a drive. He missed a couple of lay-ups today and the three FTs. He should have had about 15-18 points. He missed some opportunities there.

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Nah.
He'll snap out of it eventually.
I prefer him as a spark off the bench.
The person who has me worried the most is Finley.
As nice a stretch as he's had, he's bound to go cold, probably sooner than later.
Granted, I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but past history shows that he can't possibly stay this hot for 11 more victories.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Teams shade their whole D towards him when he's on the court. They've basically decided to let anyone but Manu beat them (Denver did it and Phoenix was playing the same way today).

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I have more faith in Manu's ability to bounce back than I would Finley's ability to continue playing at this level after going back to the bench.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I have more faith in Manu's ability to bounce back than I would Finley's ability to continue playing at this level after going back to the bench.
Yep, with Finley shooting well, he's one that you don't mess with. Manu probably has the fortitude to just bring himself out of it, and he played really well in other phases of the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't think he's scared to drive, but it bothers me how fashionable it has become to hit him in the face during a drive. He missed a couple of lay-ups today and the three FTs. He should have had about 15-18 points. He missed some opportunities there.
He's not getting the benefit of the calls I noticed.

He'll get his due I'm thinking. I don't think Manu likes having a bad game either.
So if Spurs fans are concerned...i don't know. Hopefully he adjusts and plays through.

There's only so much excuse you can have about Defenses Keying him up. If he's smart/great player he'll figure out how to "let the game come to him" eventually. He still not might be used to the newest Team strategies against him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Yep, with Finley shooting well, he's one that you don't mess with. Manu probably has the fortitude to just bring himself out of it, and he played really well in other phases of the game.

Agreed.

Also, remember he had a shocker in game 1 v Nugs, then came out and dominated in the 3rd and 4th of game 2. Here's hoping for a repeat performance.

ducks
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Teams shade their whole D towards him when he's on the court. They've basically decided to let anyone but Manu beat them (Denver did it and Phoenix was playing the same way today).
throwing matrix at tp was a suprise today
suns coach is an idiot but he was trying to slow tp down against them
he said the key to beat spurs was to stop tp

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
throwing matrix at tp was a suprise today
suns coach is an idiot but he was trying to slow tp down against them
he said the key to beat spurs was to stop tp
key to spurs is to pick your poison. :spin

ducks
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
well stoping manu did not stop spurs
finley,tp and duncan went off

if they stop finley
manu will go off or even bowen(he can hit threes)

heck they doubled tp once and he threw it to duncan for a dunk

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM
well stoping manu did not stop spurs
finley,tp and duncan went off

if they stop finley
manu will go off or even bowen(he can hit threes)

heck they doubled tp once and he threw it to duncan for a dunk
That's why there is no real key to stopping the Spurs when our bench is doing well. One of the big three will take advantage of whoever else is focused on.

Once they spend their energy on taking on Tony, Tim and Manu will get breaks.

Manu getting all the attention leaves Horry and the rest of his guys with open plays. (particularly Oberto and Duncan I saw today.)

It's very cool to have TP giving coaches nightmares so far, even though they seemed to be trying their best to stopping Manu, Parker goes in to do his thing.

VaSpursFan
05-06-2007, 07:49 PM
no starting for manu. finley is playing great ball and we need him to stay hot. manu will figure it out and get it going.

bigfan
05-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Do not change anything right now. We've won five playoff games in a row. Maybe Manu will rip off 30 points on Tuesday.

Cherry
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM

:lol me too

sprrs
05-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Manu was such a good bench guy earlier in the season, but he started regressing towards the end of the season. I think moving him back to the starting lineup would be a good move, especially if Finley keeps playing out of his mind coming off the bench. But I also think it shouldn't be done until it absolutely has to, i.e. losing games.

timvp
05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
One of the weirder stats I've ran into is that Duncan and Manu aren't playing well when on the court together.

That just tells me that Manu is out of rhythm. The team playing worse with Duncan and Manu on the court makes no sense.

Plus/Minus when paired with Tim Duncan
Parker +26
Oberto +24
Finley +22
Bowen +13
Horry +12
Barry +9
Ginobili +1

(Those stats were prior to this game, but it was more of the same for Manu in Game 1)

So basically, there's nothing to show that putting Ginobili in the starting lineup will help him or the team at this point. I think that he just needs to hit a few threes, get a few layups to fall and he'll be back to normal.

smeagol
05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
No.

He has to get out of this funk on his own.

Nikos
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
For some reason Manu is missing drives he usually makes. Yeah maybe the defenses are paying more attention than before, but I don't really think thats the reason. He seems content with trying to create a jumper these days. He usually doesn't have good success with that unless he starts hitting the jumper early.

Hard to complain though considering the Spurs are winning. I'll take an awesome Duncan and Parker with a slightly subpar Ginobili as long as the Spurs win. Actually I will take all big three playing subpar, if it means the Spurs win (although that is almost impossible, unless Finley keeps hitting his jumper :lol).

I look to see Manu improve in the scoring department. He is doing a decent job at setting others up at times, but he just has no scoring confidence right now.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
As long as he gets in his dirty work and we're winning riding two of the big three , we can't really complain, just have to be patient. It's just weird because Manu LOVES the playoffs. And it's not even a true confidence/mental issue this year even like it was last year! It's really just a mechanical funk/out of rhythm thing.

Because I noticed during his game 5 Denver game post-interview, he seemed pretty much jokey and happy about the team win, despite playing horribly. He'll figure it out hopefully.

NBA Junkie
05-09-2007, 06:50 AM
After three bad games, it happens on Saturday.

And, Manu will give us a repeat performance of that great game 5 he had two years ago against Seattle when Pop inserted him back into the starting line-up.

powerpower
05-09-2007, 06:57 AM
After three bad games, it happens on Saturday.

And, Manu will give us a repeat performance of that great game 5 he had two years ago against Seattle when Pop inserted him back into the starting line-up.

Man how badly i wonna believe you but....

WalterBenitez
05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Don't start fucking with it until we lose.

He gets the minutes. There is something inside him holding him back and if it comes down to not being a starter (though for all intents and purposes he is), then fuck him. He's a pro getting paid big bucks. He needs to deliver. At least he's trying.

Easjer, I heard you have a phone call :wakeup

WalterBenitez
05-09-2007, 07:00 AM
No.

He has to get out of this funk on his own.

I think Manu miss Rasho, that's it!