PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Press Conference Grades

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
First,

Props to Steve Nash who made no excuses. I like how he has a winner's attitude in that he concerns himself with the things that he can control. People who always lay the blame on outside circumstances often fail to recognize their own faults which they themselves could remedy. Therefore, they fail to make the necessary improvements and adjustments.

A+

Props to Pop who admitted the obvious truth that it hurt Phoenix to not have Nash out there just like it would have hurt us not to have Tim out there. He also seemed to acknowledge the fact that with Nash out there it's anybody's game.

A

Props to Tony for recognizing what Tim didn't: we need to stay on their shooters instead of collapsing on Nash and play better pick and roll defense.

A+

Perhaps Tim is just more realistic or mellow because I felt that he didn't quite see how Phoenix certainly could have won this game and the improvements that we could make to improve our chances for a game 2 win which would put us in the driver's seat in this series.

C

Phoenix is a scary team.

Comments?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I loved how Nash called out the rest of his team in terms of them not having a certain "fire" for game 1.

I think game 2 will be the toughest game of the year for the Spurs

Spurs>All
Good analysis.

Better alias.

ShoogarBear
What about D'Antoni? :lol

nkdlunch
Phoenix is not a scary team. especially to Spurs. I would not be surprised if this series ends in 4 or 5

ChumpDumper
05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Perhaps Tim is just more realistic or mellow because I felt that he didn't quite see how Phoenix certainly could have won this gameRealistic.

exstatic
05-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Perhaps Tim is just more realistic or mellow because I felt that he didn't quite see how Phoenix certainly could have won this game...
Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM

I haven't watched his press conference.

However, although mostly not as bad as Avery, I feel that he seems to make too many excuses and engages in too much complaining.

Judging from his banter on the court (from the perspective of a tv viewer), it appeared quite clear his perspective. He seemed to be blaming this loss on the refs.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Phoenix is not a scary team. especially to Spurs. I would not be surprised if this series ends in 4 or 5
When their offense was still clicking despite our D in the 3rd quarter stretch. They kind of scared me a little. Also Steve Nash was really, really good, I like the guy. But he could kill us if we let our guard down.

But then again, it's comforting to know, that we're just as scary to them, if not moreso, (and those pulling for the Suns) Can't wait for game 2.

But yeah, Nash has always been humble and class. He's one of the most respected players in the game today.

1Parker1
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
'
You're kidding right? With the level Steve Nash is playing at this season, he alone could win the series for the Suns.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I loved how Nash called out the rest of his team in terms of them not having a certain "fire" for game 1.

I think game 2 will be the toughest game of the year for the Spurs

I agree. I also believe that it is the most important game of the year for the Spurs.

If we can win game 2, it is very difficult to see how we won't win it all.

Coming back from a 2-0 deficit with 3 of the next 5 games in San Antonio would be very difficult and very unlikely.

Neither the Warriors nor the Jazz have much of a chance against us in a 7 game series, imo.

Pistons are probably the second best team in the league right now. Their defense against the Bulls was extremely impressive. They are playing some fantastic basketball and it won't be easy to beat them. However, I do feel that we are correctly viewed as the favorites over them in the Finals should we both get there.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:45 PM

They get whatever shot they want.

We have yet to figure out how to effectively defend that pick and roll. Now, we switch a lot to avoid leaving their shooters open (although we still did leave their shooters open so our strategy there wasn't that effective).

Let's review this team:

(1) they have improved significantly defensively although as a relatively small team they are vulnerable on the offensive board (but see what happens if you have your guards try to get the offensive board- that's a lay up drill). Marrion will give you 10 boards a game as will Stoudamire

(2) they have Nash, the two time MVP of the league who makes everybody better

(3) they have Marrion, a great defender, rebounder, athletic and can shoot the 3

(4) they have Stoudamire who is averaging what 20 points 10 boards a game?

(5) they are extremely efficient on offense, first in almost every category that matters

(6) they have Barbosa, the best 6th man in the league

(7) they have Diaw, a very versatile, multi-dimensional forward with an unusual skill set

(8) they had the second best record in the entire league this year

We can't stop them consistently in Phoenix. We seem to do somewhat better at defending them when they come to our place.

Nevertheless, Phoenix is a good road team that will play the same way anywhere and can win on the road.

Bottom line: This really is a team that should scare us and any other opponent they face.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Seems like Nash said something like, "You kind of have to give the Spurs some of the credit". Didn't sound terribly gracious to me. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Clutch20
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Quote from Tony Mejia:
"Duncan turned his game up to a level not even Stoudemire could touch, and his eight offensive rebounds matched Phoenix's total as a team, contributing to a commanding 49-35 edge on the boards. Duncan outplayed Stoudemire one-on-one by consistently getting better positioning on both ends of the floor. Certainly, Stoudemire's 20 points and 18 rebounds are proof of his activity, but he shot 6-for-19 and it was obvious Duncan was the more polished performer, and indicated through his 33-point outburst that he's getting serious. Duncan didn't score more than 23 points in any one of the first-round games against Denver."

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Pistons are probably the second best team in the league right now. Their defense against the Bulls was extremely impressive. They are playing some fantastic basketball and it won't be easy to beat them. However, I do feel that we are correctly viewed as the favorites over them in the Finals should we both get there.
Out of curiosity, who's better right now?

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM

MAVS!? :lmao

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Well, who would you pick?

After game 1 of the Nuggets series, I felt none too confident about my Spurs. Five straight wins, a dominant Tim Duncan, 3 straight wins on the road in the playoffs against some pretty good teams, and I feel that the team seems to be playing better.

The Mavs are out.
The Spurs have won 7 of the last 9 games against the Suns.
Who's left?
The Warriors? The Jazz? The Nets? The Cavs? The Bulls? Only so many teams.

It is, therefore, puzzling why the question was posed.

But you tell me who your pick is.

The only other reasonable contention is that the Suns are better than the Pistons (with the Spurs being second - Pistons being third), but after watching the Piston defense and knowing how versatile they are (ie switching does not hurt them), I would give the edge to Detroit.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
MAVS!? :lmao

One wonders.

8 teams left.

Or maybe we need to qualify the remarks by saying we are only considering the teams that are left in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I asked the question legitimately. BTW, you failed to answer it. You think the Spurs are the best team right now, I presume?

I think the Pistons are playing better than anyone right now. I'd be puzzled that a Spurs fan would think the Spurs are playing particularly well as a team. They are hitting timely shots and Duncan and Parker played great, but they got a couple of fortunate bounces and won by five. Sorry, I've seen the Spurs play well this year, including a dominating performance over Detroit. That team has yet to show up, and the Pistons look to have ramped it up a notch. They completely dismantled a Chicago team that was playing great ball.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I asked the question legitimately. BTW, you failed to answer it. You think the Spurs are the best team right now, I presume?

I think the Pistons are playing better than anyone right now. I'd be puzzled that a Spurs fan would think the Spurs are playing particularly well as a team. They are hitting timely shots and Duncan and Parker played great, but they got a couple of fortunate bounces and won by five. Sorry, I've seen the Spurs play well this year, including a dominating performance over Detroit. That team has yet to show up, and the Pistons look to have ramped it up a notch. They completely dismantled a Chicago team that was playing great ball.

I thought that you were being sarcastic to me.

My apologies. Seriously, I do apologize for misinterpreting your post.

Considering the other possible teams, who would we pick?

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
You have high standards, as you should as a Spurs fan.

However, the first two victories in Phoenix in 05 were only by a few points also.

Phoenix has a way of making your defense look bad.
This year's Nuggets were much better than the 05 team.

Five straight playoff victories and three straight on the road against some pretty good teams and I feel better than I did.

I also set really high standards (artificially high probably) and when they prove to be mere mortals, for a couple of days I vent and go on the Spurs ledge zone before they make a course correction, when I come back inside, off of the ledge.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
It's hard to say that the Warriors aren't playing pretty good ball right now. New Jersey was playing pretty well, and they had to play on one day's rest. The Jazz are rolling into form and won two games in a row, including a closeout game on the road. And Chicago was playing really well until they ran into Detroit, just as Phoenix was until they ran into the Spurs. Like I said, the Spurs are winning games without playing well. I don't think they have had an outstanding game yet. They beat Denver by playing for the last 12 to 14 minutes of the games. I think they have the Suns' number, so I'm not impressed with this win, either.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
You have high standards, as you should as a Spurs fan.

However, the first two victories in Phoenix in 05 were only by a few points also.

Phoenix has a way of making your defense look bad.
This year's Nuggets were much better than the 05 team.

Five straight playoff victories and three straight on the road against some pretty good teams and I feel better than I did.

I also set really high standards (artificially high probably) and when they prove to be mere mortals, for a couple of days I vent and go on the Spurs ledge zone before they make a course correction, when I come back inside, off of the ledge.
Perhaps. I don't think the Nuggets of this year are better than the Nuggets of 2005. Iverson did a better job of taking the ball out of Carmelo's hands than the Spurs ever could.

I need more time to see the Suns defense to decide if this year's team is better than the 2005 team as well. I know this year's Spurs team could be better than they were in '05. The Spurs had a ten point lead at the end of the first quarter of each of the first two games in Phoenix back then, IIRC.

As a Spurs fan, I'm certainly not looking five playoff victories in a row in the mouth, I'm just saying as a basketball observer that the Spurs can play better. I think they played better during their streak than anyone in the league this year. If that team shows up for the rest of the playoffs they don't lose another game.

Make no mistake, I'm enjoying watching the games, unlike last year watching smallball give up layup after layup.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
It's hard to say that the Warriors aren't playing pretty good ball right now. New Jersey was playing pretty well, and they had to play on one day's rest. The Jazz are rolling into form and won two games in a row, including a closeout game on the road. And Chicago was playing really well until they ran into Detroit, just as Phoenix was until they ran into the Spurs. Like I said, the Spurs are winning games without playing well. I don't think they have had an outstanding game yet. They beat Denver by playing for the last 12 to 14 minutes of the games. I think they have the Suns' number, so I'm not impressed with this win, either.

You make legitimate points.
I can see what you are saying.

However, I feel that there is more room to criticize the other teams than there is to criticize the Spurs, relatively speaking. And this is a comparison.
(I could point out the weaknesses that I see in other teams and make a pretty good argument that whatever the Spurs weaknesses in their recent games, they appear to be more impressive than any other team- with the possible exception of the Pistons who played the Magic (who are not as good as the Nuggets).

Perhaps you disagree.

The Truth #6
05-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Denver was a worse matchup.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Perhaps. I don't think the Nuggets of this year are better than the Nuggets of 2005. Iverson did a better job of taking the ball out of Carmelo's hands than the Spurs ever could.

I need more time to see the Suns defense to decide if this year's team is better than the 2005 team as well. I know this year's Spurs team could be better than they were in '05. The Spurs had a ten point lead at the end of the first quarter of each of the first two games in Phoenix back then, IIRC.

As a Spurs fan, I'm certainly not looking five playoff victories in a row in the mouth, I'm just saying as a basketball observer that the Spurs can play better. I think they played better during their streak than anyone in the league this year. If that team shows up for the rest of the playoffs they don't lose another game.

Make no mistake, I'm enjoying watching the games, unlike last year watching smallball give up layup after layup.

We both probably agree that last year was a terrible year for a Spurs fan.

I hated it.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
We both probably agree that last year was a terrible year for a Spurs fan.

I hated it.
I made an analogy one day about watching a dog wander onto the freeway. You know something bad is probably going to happen but your hope makes you keep watching. That's the way I felt last year.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I made an analogy one day about watching a dog wander onto the freeway. You know something bad is probably going to happen but your hope makes you keep watching. That's the way I felt last year.

Exactly. Nazr and Rasho were playing so bad that Pop didn't have confidence in playing them. Tim's PF was trouble and he couldn't cover the paint completely by himself.

Despite our record, I think that we all knew that this team was very beatable.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
You make legitimate points.
I can see what you are saying.

However, I feel that there is more room to criticize the other teams than there is to criticize the Spurs, relatively speaking. And this is a comparison.
(I could point out the weaknesses that I see in other teams and make a pretty good argument that whatever the Spurs weaknesses in their recent games, they appear to be more impressive than any other team- with the possible exception of the Pistons who played the Magic (who are not as good as the Nuggets).

Perhaps you disagree.
Possibly so, but I know the Spurs far better than any other team, so I have more criticisms. For better or worse, I've seen them play their best this season and it's above where I've seen anyone else play this year. They certainly have the potential to be the best team, and they are so good they could win it all playing at less than their best. I think they are playing much smarter than last year's team or the '03 championship team so far, which is an advantage.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Exactly. Nazr and Rasho were playing so bad that Pop didn't have confidence in playing them. Tim's PF was trouble and he couldn't cover the paint completely by himself.

Despite our record, I think that we all knew that this team was very beatable.
Nobody showed up for game 2 except Duncan, yet the coach only saw fit to bench the centers. Huge mistake. I'll never be convinced otherwise. Of course, I can point to the fact that the Spurs lost to defend my point. I don't want to get into that again. It just makes my stomach hurt. The Spurs won't win the championship this year without Elson and Oberto playing.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Possibly so, but I know the Spurs far better than any other team, so I have more criticisms. For better or worse, I've seen them play their best this season and it's above where I've seen anyone else play this year. They certainly have the potential to be the best team, and they are so good they could win it all playing at less than their best. I think they are playing much smarter than last year's team or the '03 championship team so far, which is an advantage.

For me, that 03 team was a team of destiny - example-Horry's shot in 03 could have gone down, Stephen Jackson was somewhat unpredictable, Manu could be great or terrible, Tony was up and down.

A lot of things fell into place for that team.

I feel that the 99 team was unbelievable in terms of the front line, obviously.

The 05 team was really Tim, Manu and Horry, and excellent defensively.

This team has weaknesses at the center position especially, rotation, rebounding, keeping the defense honest...

If Manu can get on track and Finley, Parker and Tim maintain, then we should win it all.

If not, we can still get there, but it will be much harder.

The other thing, though, about Manu's game is as Sean Elliot reminds us, "Manu Ginobili's game is all about winning. Yeah, maybe you can get a guy to give you the same amount of points and rebounds. But Manu's Game is all about Winning" I think that the point he is getting at is the hustle, the defense, the fact that Manu can so strongly influence a game without having to score and that he will do whatever it takes to win, regardless of whether it shows up on the stat sheet or people credit him for it.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I really liked what I heard and I saw from Tony Parker after the game.

His comments portend good things from him in game 2.

lefty
05-06-2007, 10:35 PM

http://angry-cat.freeonlinegames.com/images/4995.gif

Purple & Gold
05-06-2007, 11:11 PM
That's what I caught. He definitely called his teammates out.

thousandth
05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Nobody showed up for game 2 except Duncan, yet the coach only saw fit to bench the centers. Huge mistake. I'll never be convinced otherwise. Of course, I can point to the fact that the Spurs lost to defend my point. I don't want to get into that again. It just makes my stomach hurt. The Spurs won't win the championship this year without Elson and Oberto playing.

The Spurs won´t win the championship with Vaughn :p:
Elson makes me miss Nazhr. and Rasho. and Malik. and...But, I like Oberto.