PDA

View Full Version : Can a zone slow down their pick and roll?

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I noticed that Dallas went with a zone to defend against the pick and roll.
It didn't work, obviously, in their series with the Warriors.

Nevertheless, it is a possible option to try to defend against a pick and roll and avoid switching whenever they want. Of course, we must box out and it must be a good zone if we use it.

Comments, thoughts?

I'm not saying that we should or that it is necessarily a good idea, but I would like to hear other people's perspective on this?

td4mvp21
05-06-2007, 08:53 PM
No, I don't think so. The zone gives teams MANY outside jumpers/three point opportunities and that's just poison against the Suns. You do not want them shooting many threes at all. I say stick with what we had in Game 1 until it does not work. Then maybe change it up. Even then, I don't think man-to-man against this team would be the problem.

timvp
05-06-2007, 08:53 PM
No. You zone them and their three point shooters murder you. Zone in the NBA is only effective against teams that can't shoot (like Denver).

You play zone against the Suns, you'd have to pray that the best three point shooting team in the league will miss wide open looks.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I just hate having Tim be forced to attempt to guard against Steve Nash 1 on 1 on the perimeter and it seems like it happens a million times a game, leaving Nash a lay up or an open 10-12 foot shoot. Also, that bounce pass to Stoudamire is a direct result of the pick and roll, of course.

Purple & Gold
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
They will kill you with jumpers. Not a good idea.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
No. You zone them and their three point shooters murder you. Zone in the NBA is only effective against teams that can't shoot (like Denver).

You play zone against the Suns, you'd have to pray that the best three point shooting team in the league will miss wide open looks.

True.

Two weaknesses of a zone: leaves 3 point shooters open and causes problems on the defensive boards.

Perhaps against a team like the Nets or the Cavs or the Nuggets (all of whom are not good 3 point shooting teams).

Oh well.

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Zone against shooter doesn't make any sense, probably in part of the game used as surprise, but no a key defense.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Zone against shooter doesn't make any sense, probably in part of the game used as surprise, but no a key defense.

I agree.

You all are right.

I just hate that pick and roll. But this would only make things worse.

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I agree.

You all are right.

I just hate that pick and roll. But this would only make things worse.

In some ocasions I imagined our defense as solid statues and Suns using skates :dizzy

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
In some ocasions I imagined our defense as solid statues and Suns using skates :dizzy

So, it is not just me?

You console me some.

I am grateful.

WalterBenitez
05-06-2007, 09:23 PM
So, it is not just me?

You console me some.

I am grateful.

At least we were there ... and your teams is .... :rolleyes

timvp
05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
You are right though that the Spurs need to defend the pick-and-roll better. Zone defense is usually one way to do that. But it isn't an option in this series.

Basically what it'll come down to is the bigman helping ... but still being able to get back to Stoudemire/Marion before the dunk.

exstatic
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Nash shooting a whole bunch of 12 foot to the edge of the 3 point line shots is my dream. Gets the rest of the team standing around.

In addition to raining down 3 pointers all over our heads, a zone also opens offensive rebounding lanes for PHO. Oh, happy day.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
At least we were there ... and your teams is .... :rolleyes

I still remind my algebra students that the alligator is hungy, so he is facing towards the bigger meal.

My name is Mavs less than Spurs.

By far my favorite team is the Spurs.
I hate the Mavericks.

Hopefully, we won't keep having to go through this since I believe that I had to have this discussion with you before.

Mavs<Spurs
05-06-2007, 09:47 PM
You are right though that the Spurs need to defend the pick-and-roll better. Zone defense is usually one way to do that. But it isn't an option in this series.

Basically what it'll come down to is the bigman helping ... but still being able to get back to Stoudemire/Marion before the dunk.

Thank you Timvp.

E20
05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Suns have shown in the 4Q that they can run P'n'R 5 times in a row and get a basket. Duncan doesn't have the foot speed to help with the pick and get back to his defender, so the only thing left is for the person getting picked is too fight through that screen much harder or go under it giving Nash the jumper, I think Bowen can play this with his long arms and give Nash a contested shot. Another way would be is to overplay the side in which the pick is getting set and let Nash drive away from the pick and have ballside help come in or I guess you could play the P'n'R straight up, but have a third defender come and help and rotate to the wings to cover the 3 shot.