PDA

View Full Version : Misti's Game Report: 5/6 Spurs vs Suns Game 1

missmyzte
05-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Spurs vs Suns
Sunday, May 6, 2007

by: MistiLynn
http://www.mistilynn.com/game05-06-07.htm

I was definitely in enemy territory but had no qualms about going in there with my Spurs Robert Horry shirt. The fans around me were not amused.

When I was in San Antonio last week, they gave out silver pom-poms to all the fans. Tonight, all the fans were given metallic orange pom-poms. The thunder sticks were given to the fans in my area for the first half to try and disturb the Spurs during free throws. I didn’t join in that until the second half, I pounded my thunder sticks when the Suns players went to the free throw line. Again, the fans around me were not amused. I actually had to stop because the guy I went to the game with was a Suns fan and he made me stop.

As far as atmosphere, the crowd was incredible tonight. They were energetic, excited and they HATE Manu Ginobili. They boo’d him every time he was on the screen, every time he touched the ball, whenever he came into the game, every chance they got. I heard a variety of taunts yelled towards him, including, “I can see your bald spot from here!”. Poor Manu.

What impressed me most about the game is that the Spurs forced the Suns to play half-court offense, they had very few fast-breaks and I don’t remember any Amare Stoudemire dunks. Jacque Vaughn just disappeared, made bad decisions and got called for a foul every time he so much as looked at someone, it just wasn’t his night. Fabricio Oberto played well but I think TP was frustrated with him. I saw several plays where TP was pointing for Fabricio to come up and set a screen or telling him to back off because Oberto wasn’t in the right spot.

Speaking of Parker, tonight was his night. Every shot he took seemed to fall. The fans around me were begging for someone to play defense on him which made me laugh. Phoenix play defense? Yeah right. Defense wins championships.

What can I say about Robert Horry? Once again, he was Big Shot Rob as well as Big Block Rob. I remember two emphatic blocks during the game and I went crazy on both. At the start of the game, the fans around me were mocking him for being 50 years old but by the end of the game, they had nothing to say.

They had a “legends tour” where they had three NBA legends at the game. At the game today were Spud Webb, Cedric Cebellos and Larry Nance. In fact, Cebellos did the Suns starting line-ups announcement as well as several timeout announcements. He brought out the championship trophy and presented that at one point.

One thing I’ll say about seeing a game in Phoenix is that this team has more fan gimmicks than anywhere else I’ve seen a game. Fire rockets, blimp that dropped coupons, shirts falling from the ceiling with parachutes (three of which got caught on the wires for the ESPN floating camera), two mascots, a motorcycle, fan games and more. There’s no way I can remember all of it. Halftime entertainment was the dog that catches the Frisbee (sounds boring but it’s actually pretty cute).

The Nash/Parker collision at the end of the game was not pretty. It was hard to see what happened from there, thanks to the Angel for texting me updates on what was going on! I saw TP fall and stay down for a long time, when he finally got up the Suns fans gave him an ovation, which showed class. After the timeout, Nash came back in and had a bandage on his nose but I hadn’t realized that he was hurt at all. He was dripping blood, it was awful, in every timeout the players would point out spots of blood on the court for the ball boys to clean up.

The final couple minutes were a match up of free throws and trying to stall the game long enough that Nash could come back. Phoenix wasn’t able to pull it off and the Spurs held onto their lead to take the win. I was directly on top of the Spurs tunnel (yes, you can see me on TV at the end, thank you TiVO!) so I congratulated all the Spurs as they were leaving. Ginobili, Horry, Duncan and Parker all said hi.

Being that I was at the game with a Suns fan, people were making comments as we were leaving because he was very upset by the loss and I just couldn’t stop smiling. He drove me to the airport to catch my flight home and recommended that I change out of my Spurs shirt first but I decided not to. I was amazed at how many comments I got from people at the airport, random strangers congratulating me on the win or asking me what the final score was.

On the plane, I sat in the aisle seat with a Spurs fan next to me and a Suns fan next to him, both were also at the game. The Spurs fan used to play for Coach Pop (he called him “Pops”), they’ve kept in touch and was there thanks to some tickets from Pop and said he got to talk to him after the game. The flight attendant made sure to announce that there were two Spurs fans* on the plane, everyone boo’d us.

Incredible game and great win. Spurs in 5!!!

* I am not actually a “Spurs fan" but being that I was representing and supporting the Spurs today, I let the description slide.

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs01.jpg
Duncan gets ready to shoot a free throw

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs02.jpg
Tony Parker looks to pass

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs03.jpg
Tony Parker takes the shot

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs04.jpg
Tim Duncan on Leandro Barbosa

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs05.jpg
A crowd shot of the arena

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs06.jpg
Robert Horry and Tony Parker

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs07.jpg
Bruce Bowen preparing to guard Steve Nash

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs08.jpg
Robert Horry and Tony Parker

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs09.jpg

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs10.jpg
A timeout near the end of the game

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs11.jpg
Bruce Bowen boxing out as Amare Stoudemire shoots a free throw in the final minute

http://www.mistilynn.com/game/05-06_spurs12.jpg
Spurs with a one-point lead

Chris
05-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Good stuff! :tu

Kori Ellis
05-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for posting, as always!

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 12:45 AM
why do so many people hate manu?

and i mean hate him to th epoint fo booing him on every possession

i think there are a lot of players who can be disliked on the road but ot the extent that manu gets boo'ed is ridiculous.

i mean, yeah he flops (which he has toned down) but I don't get what he's done to warrant so much hatred. if it's because he usually plays so well then duncan should get jeered everytime he holds the ball as well

wtf

anakha
05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Sweet pics. Great timing on the Parker jumpshot - you caught the form perfectly. :toast

missmyzte
05-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I actually asked the Suns fans around us why they hate Manu as well. They all told me it's because of the flops and because of how he complains every time he's called for a foul. I countered that there are a lot of players that do that. Then they relented that it's because he's a Suns killer. Every one of them said the same thing.

angel_luv
05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Wonderful update- great to text with you as always. I think it's lucky- Spurs seem to win when we do.
Way to represent us! I am sure Rob was proud. :)

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I actually asked the Suns fans around us why they hate Manu as well. They all told me it's because of the flops and because of how he complains every time he's called for a foul. I countered that there are a lot of players that do that. Then they relented that it's because he's a Suns killer. Every one of them said the same thing.

thank you for that misty, i guess it really is jeering as a sign of respect.

and great photos as always :)

OldDirtMcGirt
05-07-2007, 01:09 AM

i think there are a lot of players who can be disliked on the road but ot the extent that manu gets boo'ed is ridiculous.

i mean, yeah he flops (which he has toned down) but I don't get what he's done to warrant so much hatred. if it's because he usually plays so well then duncan should get jeered everytime he holds the ball as well

wtf

I'm sure that the hate for Suns fans is more exagerrated because of the Barbosa incident and him kicking STAT in the balls. Not saying it's right, but that's probably the reason.

Man of Steel
05-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Misti--I think I saw you on TV! You were wearing a really low-cut blouse and were hanging down from the stands giving our guys high-fives as they went into the tunnel, right?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 01:18 AM
what happened with barbosa and manu again?

OldDirtMcGirt
05-07-2007, 01:22 AM
what happened with barbosa and manu again?

Back in '05 Manu flopped and fell (unintentionally IMO) into Barbosa's knee and Barbs sprained it.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 01:42 AM
oh yeah i forgot about that

Fernando TD21
05-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Nice text and great pictures MistiLynn.

missmyzte
05-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Misti--I think I saw you on TV! You were wearing a really low-cut blouse and were hanging down from the stands giving our guys high-fives as they went into the tunnel, right?
I was wearing a black t-shirt (not at all low-cut) but yes, I was leaning over the tunnel as the players were walking down the tunnel after the game.

DannyT
05-07-2007, 02:11 AM
good shit girl....if they were killing you like that i wonder how mr parker was holding down on her end....

Spurs Brazil
05-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks Misti!

alamo50
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
They had a “legends tour” where they had three NBA legends at the game. At the game today were Spud Webb, Cedric Cebellos and Larry Nance.

:lol

Feels good being booed on in a hostile environment while wearing the classy silver and black, doesn't it?

KEDA
05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
since when is Cedric Cebellos a legend?

Tigole Bitties
05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Great shots and nice review of the game! :tu

boutons_
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
thanks again, Misti. great report and pix

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

wtf

Well, Suns fans hate Manu as he has flopped into hurting two different Suns players. (Barbosa the most recent)

I agree that if he were on the Suns, we would probably like him. I equate it to the Raja Bell/Kobe situation. Kobe gets booed everytime he touches the ball in Phoenix, and the same with Raja in LA.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh, that was a great report hearing it from a Spurs fan.

I am surprised that you couldn't get a shot of Nash's nose. (realize it was the opposite side of the bench)

Supergirl
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
"Jacque Vaughn just disappeared, made bad decisions and got called for a foul every time he so much as looked at someone, it just wasn’t his night."

LOL. Yeah - the Suns were able to push the pace when Vaughn was in, and I noticed to that he more than ANYONE from either team was not getting any calls.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
"Jacque Vaughn just disappeared, made bad decisions and got called for a foul every time he so much as looked at someone, it just wasn’t his night."

LOL. Yeah - the Suns were able to push the pace when Vaughn was in, and I noticed to that he more than ANYONE from either team was not getting any calls.

Let's be real. Vaughn didn't deserve any calls. He played about as bad as he could. During his brief stints he missed two open jumpers, traveled, charged twice, threw a lazy pass that was easily intercepted, and was obliterated by high S/Rs.

I haven't followed the Spurs enough to know why Beno Udrih isn't getting any PT, but after the game from Vaughn, I'd reconsider.

bdictjames
05-07-2007, 11:40 AM
From Misti's pics, I thought it was Tim Thomas doing the freethrow with the Suns uniform.

Supergirl
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Let's be real. Vaughn didn't deserve any calls. He played about as bad as he could. During his brief stints he missed two open jumpers, traveled, charged twice, threw a lazy pass that was easily intercepted, and was obliterated by high S/Rs.

I haven't followed the Spurs enough to know why Beno Udrih isn't getting any PT, but after the game from Vaughn, I'd reconsider.

I agree Vaughn made a number of bad decisions, but I also saw him get mauled in there a couple times, with no foul called. The commentators even noticed - they were saying how Vaughn is "usually a gentleman" and even he was irate about not getting any calls from the refs.

Against Denver, Vaughn proved to be valuable in that he played much better defense when Parker was out, and knocked down a couple j's. Beno has been turnover prone, especially in the playoffs.

But overall, the backup PG spot remains the biggest hole in the Spurs line up, really. When Parker sits, the Spurs often struggle. Barry and Manu have had the most success as backup PGs, and I suspect to see more Barry in future games, esp since he usually excels against Phoenix (and other teams that don't play much D).

Jules
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM

wtf

The Suns fans were so much nicer, in contrast to the Denver fans. The Denver fans booed me constantly during game 5 because I was wearing a Manu jersey. I wore it again yesterday and was actually received quite nicely... the Suns fans bought me several cocktails and I partied with them long after the game was over.

duncanchick21
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Great Pics Misti! :toast

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM

I haven't followed the Spurs enough to know why Beno Udrih isn't getting any PT, but after the game from Vaughn, I'd reconsider.Just imagine the same play as Vaughn's yesterday but add a complete inability to bring the ball up the court.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Just imagine the same play as Vaughn's yesterday but add a complete inability to bring the ball up the court.

Ok, point well taken. :lol

Our fans (Suns) are too damn nice. We constantly yell at our OWN fans for standing up and cheering for our team. It is ridiculous.

lefty
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Great pics !:toast
Great story !
And you had a good seat too. I hate you ! :p:

Ya Vez
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
great pics... but the boyfriend wanting you to change shirts.. yikes... lol

Fabbs
05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Nice report thanks Misti.

judaspriestess
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM

thats what I figured it was, I call him "the tank killer". That is why so many fans from opposing teams hate the Spurs, we beat their teams.

Then those same fans come out with the Spurs are boring, blah, blah, blah because that is all they can grasp on too.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
thats what I figured it was, I call him "the tank killer". That is why so many fans from opposing teams hate the Spurs, we beat their teams.

Then those same fans come out with the Spurs are boring, blah, blah, blah because that is all they can grasp on too.

To most fans, I can see why they think that it is boring.

I actually like Duncan, and can appreciate what he does on the court. Fundamentals are a lost art in today's game, so the common fan has no idea what they are. They just want to see the flashy dunk, or the wicked crossover. They have no respect for moving without the ball, or team defense.

The Spurs are my second favorite team. I just hate it that the
Suns : Spurs = GS:Mavs

Matchup made in hell.

judaspriestess
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
To most fans, I can see why they think that it is boring.

I actually like Duncan, and can appreciate what he does on the court. Fundamentals are a lost art in today's game, so the common fan has no idea what they are. They just want to see the flashy dunk, or the wicked crossover. They have no respect for moving without the ball, or team defense.

The Spurs are my second favorite team. I just hate it that the
Suns : Spurs = GS:Mavs

Matchup made in hell.

It ain't over yet by a long shot!! It was just game one and Phoenix can win on the road. Its going to be a tough series for both teams.