PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Steve Kerr?

Man of Steel
05-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Of course--he has to be "objective."

But I read somewhere on a Suns weblog that Kerr gave an interview in Phoenix before the game this weekend and supposedly remarked that Tim Duncan is the worst, most whinnying player in the league and that Manu is the all-time flopper.

Anyone hear any of this?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2007, 01:41 AM
hmmm... I don't know about that...

I'll admit I liked Steve Kerr in his little run in 2003 for the Squad. But I don't really care for how he contributes to his day-job-- as far as sports analysis (and even commentating!) goes.

Dave McNulla
05-07-2007, 01:41 AM
what if steve had said that tim communicates his feelings the most about non-calls, and that ginobili is the most successful at enhancing the representation of physical contact from other players? would that be OK?

mabber
05-07-2007, 01:44 AM

But I read somewhere on a Suns weblog that Kerr gave an interview in Phoenix before the game this weekend and supposedly remarked that Tim Duncan is the worst, most whinnying player in the league and that Manu is the all-time flopper.

Anyone hear any of this?

He played with Duncan so he'd know. From this fan's perspective it would be tough to top Duncan in that category although he seems to have got a little bit better lately. What I've never understood about Duncan is that he's such a class guy and great player I'd think that if he didn't whine about calls all the time it would work out for him much better (with the refs). You'd think he'd be smart enough to realize this. Refs would absolutely love a player that good not bitching about calls all the time.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 01:49 AM
i'd need to see/hear proof

spurs always talks highly of the spurs organization so i'd be very surprised to hear him make such comments

Josh810
05-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Umm yeah, I highly doubt he said that, or anything close to it.

Kibic
05-07-2007, 03:11 AM
So he should lie?

Strike
05-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Anyone who pays attention to the sport as a whole would know that compared to people like Rasheed Wallace, Allen Iverson, etc., Timmy doesn't even come CLOSE to being one of the top whiners in the league.

Yes Timmy does complain about some calls and/or non-calls. Everyone does. In the players' minds, none of them ever commit fouls. But anyone saying Duncan whines more than anyone else is retarded.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 03:41 AM
duncan definitely whines more than Iverson, and I may even go as far as to say whines more than wallace on some occassions

the difference between wallace and duncan is that the refs actually T wallace up for his whining.

I think tim's whining has gone down a little bit this year, but as evidenced by today's game, he still needs to tone it down

Strike
05-07-2007, 03:44 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Sure Duncan whines. But nearly every time AI gets a call against him or thinks a non-call went against him, dude looks like he's gonna collapse to the floor and starting kicking the hardwood and crying, 6 year-old style.

Although to be fair, living in Portland I don't get to see many Spurs games on tv.

But I'm not gonna argue with a fellow Spurs fan. Plenty of Spurs haters on this board for that.

Sec24Row7
05-07-2007, 06:03 AM
LOL about people talking about Tim's "whining"

He is a veteran superstar player who is entitled to talk to the officials...

Kobe does the same thing...

Nash does the same thing...

Dirk does the same thing...

Shaq does the same thing (with expletives like a moron)...

Timmy isnt any worse than any of these other players...

Tim also is justified on many of the no calls... he gets mugged ALL THE TIME on the block without getting fouls called... did you see how much he "whined" in game 4 vs Denver? Not very much... yet he plays through it and wins the game...

The only thing I dont like about Tim worrying about the officiating is that while he is doing that, he is worrying less about the game...

jmard5
05-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Can you provide the link?

Man of Steel
05-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Supposedly this was an interview on a local Phoenix radio or TV station, so there was not a link provided.

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2007, 06:28 AM
someone should give kerr that anti-hatorade drink

Gaddabout
05-07-2007, 06:30 AM
I don't know if he divested when he got into broadcasting, but I know Kerr was part of Sarver's group when they first bought the team from the Colangelo's. He's also, of course, a Tucson resident and maintained ties to the Suns organization since they drafted him. I believe the Suns unsuccessfully tried to recruit him to the front office before, but it was definitely a friendly conversation. Lots of speculation that Sarver is waiting for Brian Colangelo's (left over) group to get jobs elsewhere or mess up so he can give Kerr the GM job. It should be noted that whenever the Suns front office is up to something, Sarver has been reported to seek Kerr's opinion before he makes up his own mind whether he agrees or not.

That will be a sad day, because BC left a lot of talent here in the front office.

Kori Ellis
05-07-2007, 06:41 AM

Anyone hear any of this?

Why does he have to be objective? He owns part of the Suns:lol

Anyway, I don't think Kerr would say anything in that manner exactly, but I don't doubt he commented on the whining and flopping. I've heard him talk about Duncan's whining before.

timvp
05-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Maybe one day Spurs fans won't consider Kerr a top ten player to wear the Silver and Black.

Sec24Row7
05-07-2007, 06:47 AM
When Dale Ellis comes back and saves our ass in a game in the Western Conference finals I'll put him ahead of Kerr...

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Umm yeah, I highly doubt he said that, or anything close to it.

Agreed. Don't believe rumors like this. If you have a concrete report, fine. Otherwise, don't waste your (our our) time with crap like this. It's nonsense.

ATRAIN
05-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Everyone whines, complains, bitches!!! There is no one player that does it more. Tim does it yes, but he does also get a lot of non calls. Gino a flopper, thats like almost every SG in the league. Even if Kerr said it, what has he done for us lately!!!

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-07-2007, 07:39 AM
I can see Kerr saying that---with his tongue planted firmly in cheek.

MajorMike
05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
He played with Duncan so he'd know. From this fan's perspective it would be tough to top Duncan in that category although he seems to have got a little bit better lately. What I've never understood about Duncan is that he's such a class guy and great player I'd think that if he didn't whine about calls all the time it would work out for him much better (with the refs). You'd think he'd be smart enough to realize this. Refs would absolutely love a player that good not bitching about calls all the time.

Altho, I trust Barkley's opinion more than I do Kerr's, and he has said, in several different ways on many an occasion, that Duncan is the most fouled and least called player in the league.

I remember him saying, "Hell, you would whine too if you got beat on as much as he does with no calls."

conversekid
05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
He's still bitter at Pop for not getting enough playing time. He was very bitter against Pop during his stay here.

Oh, Gee!!
05-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Manu is a flopper, so what?

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 08:41 AM
And when he has praised the Spurs...he has been called a genius here. So it goes.

LilMissSPURfect
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Manu is a flopper, so what?

so is nash, barbosa, bell and their new found DEFENSE

Oh, Gee!!
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
so is nash, barbosa, bell and their new found DEFENSE

but manu is better at it than those guys, that's why we love him

ATRAIN
05-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Speaking of Flopper did anyone see when Jacque Vaughn got a foul called on him on a pick n roll and knocked down Amare.....I mean come on do you think he could knock down a guy twice his size. PUUUHHHLEAZZZEEE!!

conversekid
05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
It's not always flopping. Fouls happen and could be called on every possession in the NBA. The pace of the game is so quick, many times you have to sell the foul to get the call. Like when amare hooked Tim's arm on the rebound... It was a foul and probably wouldn't have been called unless Tim sold it. Does that make Timmy a flopper? The foul was there... he merely made sure the Ref was in a position to have to call it.

spursfan09
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
If Tim is so whiny then why doesn't he lead the league in techs? I admit he is pretty good atwhining, but alot of non-Spur fans like to point it out even though its not that bad. I'm sure in thier minds they wish thats How Tim would be remembered. The whining is not going to over shadow what he's done in his career no matter what so sorry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2007, 10:09 AM

Anyone hear any of this?

So, we're going off third hand info (at best) from some (obviously) biased Suns fan weblog?

Nice.

kps0001
05-07-2007, 05:35 PM
So, we're going off third hand info (at best) from some (obviously) biased Suns fan weblog?

Nice.

I heard it on the way to work the other morning. KTAR 620 AM had Kerr on in the morning. I couldn't believe what I heard either coming from Kerr. The hosts, Doug and Wolf, were wanting Suns fans to bring diapers and baby rattles to the game which I thought was a really really ghey idea. I can't seem to find a clip of it though.

Bob Lanier
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
duncan definitely whines more than Iverson, and I may even go as far as to say whines more than wallace on some occassions

the difference between wallace and duncan is that the refs actually T wallace up for his whining.
:tu

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

SsKSpurs21
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM

duncan has a psychology degree. what he is doing is putting doubt in the refs minds if they made the right call or not...then the next time they will feel obligated to make up for the call they thought they got wrong, even if it was the right call.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I heard it on the way to work the other morning. KTAR 620 AM had Kerr on in the morning. I couldn't believe what I heard either coming from Kerr. The hosts, Doug and Wolf, were wanting Suns fans to bring diapers and baby rattles to the game which I thought was a really really ghey idea. I can't seem to find a clip of it though.

I don't know what more confirmation we all need for a randomly cited post on a random Phoenix Suns fan web log with no link provided than a rookie poster that is a fan of the Phoenix Suns with 3 posts showing up to tell us all it is so.

:wakeup

Guess that settles that.

kps0001
05-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't know what more confirmation we all need for a randomly cited post on a random Phoenix Suns fan web log with no link provided than a rookie poster that is a fan of the Phoenix Suns with 3 posts showing up to tell us all it is so.

Guess that settles that.

What do I care if you believe it or not. Kerr called out two of your guys and you can't seem to "handle the truth". What do I or anyone else who has stated this fact have to gain by making something like this up? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things anyway?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
What do I care if you believe it or not. Kerr called out two of your guys and you can't seem to "handle the truth". What do I or anyone else who has stated this fact have to gain by making something like this up? Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things anyway?

Where is this truth you speak of? Third hand info., that one poster says he read on a blog that he can't even produce a link to?

Here's my problem - Kerr has written all kinds of articles on Yahoo! Sports about how great the Spurs and Duncan are.

Yet I'm supposed to take your word on it because you're pouting on a message board.

If I get some audio proof of it, I'll be happy to eat some crow. Until then, I call bullshit.

kps0001
05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Where is this truth you speak of? Third hand info., that one poster says he read on a blog that he can't even produce a link to?

Here's my problem - Kerr has written all kinds of articles on Yahoo! Sports about how great the Spurs and Duncan are.

Yet I'm supposed to take your word on it because you're pouting on a message board.

If I get some audio proof of it, I'll be happy to eat some crow. Until then, I call bullshit.

I here you with the Kerr thing which is why i said I couldn't believe it either. Look man I heard it with my own ears on the radio. I searched for a few minutes and couldn't find any archive of it so I am not gonna waste anymore time looking for it. I could care less if you call bullshit and I could care less if you eat some crow. I heard what I heard and a lot of other Phoenix listeners did as well. I ask again does it really mean anything in the grand scheme of things?

Here is Doug and Wolf's email addresses...drop em a line and see if they have an archive of it as you probably won't believe them if they told you either and it was on their show.
[email protected]
[email protected] ( i think that is correct)

bigfish22
05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
His mind hasn't been quite as sharp since MJ popped him one in practice.

ambchang
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
And yet Duncan is at a career high in FTA/FGA this year, if this is working, I say whine away until it stops working.
Go Duncan Go (whine).

ambchang
05-07-2007, 09:22 PM

I think tim's whining has gone down a little bit this year, but as evidenced by today's game, he still needs to tone it down
Dude, seriously, you have got to stop this. You admitted that you watch mostly Spurs game, thus see more of Duncan whining in the past, but you can't help but continues to put your opinions as facts.
I just think that you are trying too hard to appear impartial on the board, and continue to pick up the most minute details of the Spurs fault, exaggerate them, such that other posters will respect what you say in the future.
But all this does it propagate some the myths surrounding the Spurs.
Does Tim whines, sure he does, but name me one player who doesn't. He doesn't have many Ts because he does not whine as much as people says he does. It is a fact that he is tied for 15th in Ts this year, that's below Kobe, Dirk, Amare, Carmelo, Jermaine and AI.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:36 AM
The most vivid memory of Steve Kerr I have is during Game 2 of the '99 WCF (yes, MDM) when the Blazers left his ass wide open behind the arc with the rock. His Spur career was absolutely unremarkable up until Game 6 of the '03 WCF and then he Bogarted the credit for that comeback from Jack.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 02:35 AM
His mind hasn't been quite as sharp since MJ popped him one in practice.
:lol My problem with Steve Kerr the commentator, is when he starts calling games when the ballgame is far from over. He ends up eating his words. (He's worse than Tpark on the gameblogs--no offense, Tpark)

Then, in his little yahoo-journals, whatever, where he makes predictions, he seems like he's pandering for an acceptable prediction or whatever.

Anyway, I think if he made those comments about Timmy and Manu, they were tongue-in-cheek, ribbings of them. Timmy does whine, and Manu's the best at selling fouls.

Man of Steel
05-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Guess that settles that.

The Suns weblog also stated the bit about the hosts stating that the fans should bring baby rattles to the games, so yes--this does confirm it since I did not mention this in the original post that I made.

Man of Steel
05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
BTW--

Here is the weblog link--

The Phoenix writer confirms this since I did not mention anything about the baby rattles in the original posting--

http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90225

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Speaking of Flopper did anyone see when Jacque Vaughn got a foul called on him on a pick n roll and knocked down Amare.....I mean come on do you think he could knock down a guy twice his size. PUUUHHHLEAZZZEEE!!

When one guy is standing still and the other had a head of steam in front of him, yeah it is more than possible. You said it yourself that Vaughn knocked down Amare, but now you wonder why he was called for the foul? :rolleyes

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I Havent had the pleasure of reading the whole thread, but in the last couple post i hear about rattles and diapers.....are those for SUNS or SPURS?

my guess (to the ones that would need it more) but i figured tampons for nash and a pogo stick for d'antoni.....I mean you guys did see the SHOW of whinnnnnniiiness all afternoon come outta the suns right? Are the fans blind?

kps0001
05-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Here is the interview where Steve certainly calls Manu a flopper and while he doesn't say that Tim is a whiner straight out he doesn't disagree and says the original comment is not far off. Its about 2/3 of the way through the clip and continues thorugh the end.

http://sports.ktar.com/emedia/19958.mp3

zrinkill
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Suns fans are already resorting to making crap up .... :lol :lol :lol :lol

kps0001
05-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Suns fans are already resorting to making crap up .... :lol :lol :lol :lol

a couple of days late with that comment. you guys asked for audio proof and I gave it to you.

4001 STEREO SPUR
05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I can't believe nobody heard him say it. He said it before the game, I think. On T.V.

He said that Tim's a good..great (whatever) friend and he's one of his favorite teammates blah blah blah...that he has played with and then said he's one of the bigger whiners.