PDA

View Full Version : My First Post

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Hello guys. This is my first post here. I've always liked the Spurs since their Avery Johnson, Vinnie Del Negro, Sean Elliot, Cadillac Anderson And David Robinson teams back in the early to mid 90s. (even if Olajuwon totally outplayed that group) And I became more of a fan since Duncan and Manu joined the organization.

I hope I'm welcome here and I wish the Spurs win the title again this year.

Thanks. :toast

Dizzle
05-07-2007, 05:05 AM
welcome. my name is dizzle. i am considered by many to be the top dog around here. you fit in with me, you'll fit in with anyone. learn your trade, treat others with respect, and dont get loose with your goose. i look forward to posting with you in the future.

:king

WalterBenitez
05-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Welcome to the most exciting forum in NBA's field... even the most sincere :toast

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys. You know, I always wanted to ask Spurs fans, is the Spurs the "small town team" of the NBA? A good team coming from a small place, that beats overhyped and overpaid teams from big cosmopolitan, urban cities, where the players and the fans have a close bond, everybody knows everybody and the whole organization feels kinda like family?

Like the old Greenbay Packers teams before. (of what I've read)

Is San Antonio the smallest NBA city in terms of population and city size?

Clutch20
05-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Welcome to this place and I for one would like for you to contribute your ideas and take on Spurs and NBA news.
SpursTalk, where the coffee pot is full and someone's always waiting to agree or disagree, pon cuidido!

Sec24Row7
05-07-2007, 06:09 AM
San Antonio is the 9th largest City in the US

timvp
05-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Welcome. :tu

This forum has only one rule -- spell Sean Elliott's name right. :)

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Really? I thought the city was a little smaller since NBA writers sometimes say SA doesnt have as good marketability compared to big cities like LA, NYC, Detroit, Chicago. That if SA didnt have such a good team, the US national media wouldnt cover the Spurs as much, not like the Lakers & Knicks. Those teams would get headlines even if they sucked.

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 06:59 AM

Sorry about that. Im not a spelling bee contestant :oops
I like Sean ELLIOTT. :p: He always tried to do his best for the team. His NBA comeback from kidney transplant surgery, that "Miracle Shot" in the playoffs were so inspiring.

Texas_Ranger
05-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Welcome and have good time.

TheTruth
05-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Really? I thought the city was a little smaller since NBA writers sometimes say SA doesnt have as good marketability compared to big cities like LA, NYC, Detroit, Chicago. That if SA didnt have such a good team, the US national media wouldnt cover the Spurs as much, not like the Lakers & Knicks. Those teams would get headlines even if they sucked.
San Antonio the City has the 9th biggest population in the country. But the surrounding areas aren't as populated as some smaller cities (denver and detroit for example). This makes San Antonio one of the smallest markets in the league. That is probably what you are talking about.

SpurYank
05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Dizzle, it's posts like yours ("... top dog around here...") that makes everyone smile when they come here.

About SA's market value. Take it from someone who lives in a major east coast city, it's much more than that. We got a hint of it when Steinbrenner "bought" the Rocket to the tune of 4 1/2 million dollars a month for the rest of this year. Money rules, really. On top of that, writers, newscasters, and the media in general, want to write about Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, and other so-called superstars. Kobe's exit from the playoffs brought gloom and tears for everyone up here and the demands for the NBA to do something about such a travesty. There were no demands that Phil "build" a team, like Sloan, Pop, or D'Antoni. "We want our gratification NOW."

Waaa, Waaaa, Waaa.

longrod
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM

Official city population figures are considered somewhat misleading when assessing professional sports markets, the commonly used measure is "media market". Media market consists of a population that has access to the same media offerings. San Antonio, for example is the #29 radio market and Dallas is #5 although both cities have almost identical populations within their city limits. Dallas market of course includes Fort Worth for starters.

The politicians in San Antonio like to flaunt the city population figure and rank because it gives the appearance of a bigger and more important metropolis than it really is.

LilMissSPURfect
05-07-2007, 08:37 AM

The politicians in San Antonio like to flaunt the city population figure and rank because it gives the appearance of a bigger and more important metropolis than it really is.

actually , the numbers are for "political" reasons ....(state & fed funding etc)

SA is atop the GROWING cities list along with PHX. SA expands (incorporates surrounding areas) slowly....thats why we've surpassed _allas. Dallas has no more room for growth while SA does! I even think they are the 7 or 8 th largest in the usa

smeagol
05-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Not true.

The one rule is to never diss Manu (I'm assuming you wont because of your name) and hate on TP as soon as his performance is shy of flawless :spin

longrod
05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
actually , the numbers are for "political" reasons ....(state & fed funding etc)

And getting corporations like Toyota to come to town. I guess you can call that "political" too...

DarrinS
05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
OMG, I forgot about Cadillac Anderson. Boy, did he suck.

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Cadillac was lumbering and had limited skills. What I remembered not liking about the Spurs back then were those ugly warm ups they had, with those flourescent collage things. And the pink colored free throw circle aint too macho. (Or was it the paint?) :)

Did the Spurs have Dale Ellis, Andrew Gaze and Moses Malone in the line up late in their carreers? I have a vague memory that they suited up for a while.

TheTruth
05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Did the Spurs have Dale Ellis, Andrew Gaze and Moses Malone in the line up late in their carreers? I have a vague memory that they suited up for a while.
Yes on all three.

Jimcs50
05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Mouse

spursfan09
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
the media adore the west and east coast teams because those teams are close to where the reporters live. the media don't like the spurs because they are racist against hispanics.

LA has a strong hispanic culture. And New York with Puero Ricans. It just has to do with the fact that SAn Antonio is a small fry when compared to those other cities.

alamo50
05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
(even if Olajuwon totally outplayed that group)

Thanks. :toast

Not the best way to start in here MP.
Good luck saving yourself.

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
ok. :) I hope Manu gets going starting next game. That guy reminds me of Pete Maravich when he plays. THeyve got the same height,build and high basketball IQ. Theyre naturals. Manu passes great, although theyre not quite as flashy and magical as the Pistols though. Still my favorite current player.

SequSpur
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
bandwagoner forum.

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Not the best way to start in here MP.
Good luck saving yourself.

Being a fan doesnt mean being blind to what you see right? :) I seriously hated the Rockets that time, Olajuwon I was pissed but you cant hate a player with a performance like that.

But I seriously hated all the other Rockets. Cassell, Elie, Horry, Maxwell, Chuckie Jones, Kenny Smith (Hated watching him smile on court) the ball boy. everybody else. I thought those guys were so lucky hitting jumpers off those kick outs from Hakeem.

Manu Pacquiao
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
bandwagoner forum.

Ouch. :(

Thats OK. I gotta sleep now, its 11:30pm here in the Far East. Thanks,guys.