PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I need to erase Windows Vista from my new notebook. I wish to install WinXP instead. Someone told me I might have to partition my harddrive again. I'm clueless as to how to do this...

In addition to this, there is a HP QuickPlay feature that comes with the notebook that I'm not sure, but think I would lose if I erase Vista and everything along with it.

Can anybody help?

leemajors
05-07-2007, 10:41 AM
you would just need to format the hard drive, and put XP on. no partitioning needed unless you wanted to dual boot.

dougp
05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Chances are, you'll lose the quickplay feature because it comes with the "Restore" which I would assume is Vista.

Honestly, I'd say stick it out with Vista ... formatting is such a pain.

DannyT
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
just know that you need to back up all your stuff that you have on vista....not programs but all you files...if all you have is a xp cd and not the orignal hp disc then you can just put in the cd rom restart the computer and hopefully your computer is set to put off your cd rom and then you will install xp...also about your system features like quickplay and other special key buttons all you would have to do is download the drivers or software from the hp site for your specific model

boutons_
05-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I assume you know about backing up data.

Boot the XP install disk, and follow the instructions, which will include partitioning and formatting (use quick format).

As I posted in the Vista thread, MS is getting complaints how quickly Vista discharges laptop batteries. As usual, predatory, vicious, price-gouging monopolist MS has suckered the market into buying a beta-test prodcut that is a still-insecure, buggy.

I suggest you use more than one partition, such as having a partition for the OS and apps, and another partition for all the other stuff. This speeds de-fragmenting and backup/restore.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Make sure HP has all the XP drivers for that specific model of laptop or you might end up taking alot of time tracking them all down.

to21
05-07-2007, 02:03 PM
You should visit some of the HP forums that are out there. Here is their official:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=970117&admit=-682735245+1178563756443+28353475

In fact, I think the process is written out by someone on there.
There are some pros and cons to keeping or getting rid of the Quickplay feature.

Also good luck in reloading drivers.

leemajors
05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Chances are, you'll lose the quickplay feature because it comes with the "Restore" which I would assume is Vista.

Honestly, I'd say stick it out with Vista ... formatting is such a pain.

not so bad on a desktop with two drives. i just keep all my current drivers and files on one, format the other when it needs it. i just wish vista didn't take so long to load on my wife's laptop.

CubanMustGo
05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Vista (other than Basic) needs 2GB and a big honkin CPU. A separate video card is a help too. Yes, you can run it with less but it is a PIG.