PDA

View Full Version : ESPN notes on Scola

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 01:23 PM
- Among an estimated 100 personnel from NBA teams and the league office in attendance in Athens were GMs R.C. Buford (San Antonio Spurs), Billy Knight (Atlanta Hawks), Ed Stefanski (New Jersey Nets) and David Twardzik (assistant, Orlando Magic), along with Clippers head coach Mike Dunleavy.

- His poor semifinal showing will not have harmed Luis Scola's standing in the eyes of the Spurs, the team that drafted him 56th in 2002 but that so far has been unable and unwilling to buy him from Spanish team Tau Ceramica.

Had the Spurs wanted Scola as soon as they drafted him, San Antonio would have needed to pay a fee of $15 million for the 6-foot-8 forward. That buyout figure was understood to have dropped to $3 million this year and will be $1 million in summer 2008.

Indications are that Scola is keen to embark on an NBA career, not least of all because his original Tau contract was negotiated in U.S. dollars, meaning it has been seriously devalued because of international exchange rate changes in the years since.

In this instance, the use of a low second-round pick on Scola made his selection a no-lose situation for the Spurs, but other NBA teams might be risking more if they do not do their homework properly before spending a draft pick on a Euro who comes with a prohibitive buyout clause.

For example, FC Barcelona's All-Euroleague guard Juan Carlos Navarro was drafted 40th by the Washington Wizards in 2002 and, according to reports in Spain, still carries with him a $6 million buyout clause. In Scola's case, the midseason appointment of a new coach, Euro legend Bozidar Maljkovic, has not helped him. Maljkovic does not work the ball to Scola in the post as much as his predecessor Velimir Perasovic was prone to do and, in Friday's semifinal defeat, Scola also was visibly affected by the refereeing and fouled out after scoring only six points in 25 minutes.

Still, the Argentine should have time to work on those aspects of his game as it is extremely unlikely we will see him in Texas until 2008 at the earliest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2861992

Marcus Bryant
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
It would seem that it would be worth it to Scola to begin his NBA career soon.

Bruno
05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
For more than one year, Scola has always struggled in big games. I'm less and less sold on his ability to be a good nba player.
I will not be disapointed if Spurs trade him, even if it's not for something great.

Mr. Body
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Isn't it more a matter of coaching and how Scola is used in these situations? Last year Tau's pick and roll was blown up with good defense, hurting their chances; this year it might have been foul trouble, etc.

Scola in the 2004 Olympics: 17.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.5 bpg, 66% fg. Final game vs. Italy: 25 pts, 11 rebs.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Free Scola

Spurs>All
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Isn't it more a matter of coaching and how Scola is used in these situations? Last year Tau's pick and roll was blown up with good defense, hurting their chances; this year it might have been foul trouble, etc.

Scola in the 2004 Olympics: 17.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.5 bpg, 66% fg. Final game vs. Italy: 25 pts, 11 rebs.

Olympics != NBA

Bruno
05-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Italy frontcourt was a bunch of big stiffs.

Scola has had a lot of difficulties when he has faced good defensive teams with motivated and quite athletic players. The bad news for him is that he will face that kind of oppostion during nba playoffs.

Mr. Body
05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't favor Scola as a Spur, but do think he could have impact on another team badly in need of post scoring and where he wouldn't be the top option. I'm not sure he fits Chicago's defensive style, but in Philadelphia or New Jersey, he could be quite good, especially at the tail end of Jason Kidd's passes. Look at Mikki Moore this year; imagine that being Luis Scola.

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
to think that Scola is a CHOKER,like some people here is trying to show him as,is not fair at all for a guy who has played more finals in his carreer tham any spurs player at the moment(besides Horry).
Scola is defenetly an NBA caliper type of player,and can easily be Duncanīs buckup with the spurs.
Low post Scoring and High BBIQ are a plus in the NBA,and heīs got them.

Gros Membres!
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
More and more he just sounds like a guy who would play 3-10 minutes a game when Timmy is on the bench. He brings nothing to complement Timmy in the low post and does not have a history of coming up big in big games. I have never seen Scola as a savior and hope that his rights can be traded with our first round pick, Beno and/or Barry to pick up a quality, athletic SG, C, or SF in the draft (in no particular order yet).

WalterBenitez
05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Scola comes and what spot will he use? Elson?

Big P
05-07-2007, 04:15 PM
He would be the first PF off the bench, probably taking Obertos spot. He would not take Elsons starting center position because, 1 he is a PF & 2 his game is very similar to TD's, so he would need to be the primary big man off the bench.

Phenomanul
05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
He's Horry's replacement.... oh wait.. we have Bonner.

Ummmmm.....

We'll he's better than Elson and hustles ala Manu...

Mr. Body
05-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't see many scenarios where Scola is brought in as a Spur.

AFBlue
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Provided Scola can pick up the offense (no small feat), he would be the first big off the bench. Technically he could start with Duncan shifting to the 5, but Pop likes to play the matchup game...so I doubt this is the case.

I honestly think Scola's value to this team would be great, but whether he's a part of the Spurs next year depends on more than just his value to the team. Issues are the buyout, Scola's salary demand, and the clog at the position (Franberto and Butler)...

AFBlue
05-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I honestly think Oberto would have to get cut in order to make room.

Big P
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I honestly think Oberto would have to get cut in order to make room.

He could possibly be trades along with Barry, if we are going to get something for their expiring contracts, Barry at $5.5 & Oberto at $2.5 could possibly bring back a decent player.

thousandth
05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
He could possibly be trades along with Barry, if we are going to get something for their expiring contracts, Barry at $5.5 & Oberto at $2.5 could possibly bring back a decent player.

Elson played terrible in playoffs, but Oberto isnīt a decent player?? :wtf

SequSpur
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Scola blows.

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't see many scenarios where Scola is brought in as a Spur.

I do,and more tham one.Here they are:
1-Horry retires next year.
2-Bonner ainīt playing at all in the playoffs,probably wont be resigned.
3-Ely aint playing at all.Gone at the end of the season too.
4-Elson is not meeting the espectations(donīt know whats gonna happen to the Geico)
5-Not even ONE good PF in the draft this year.
6-Mahinmi aint meeting the spurs espectations in Europe.

Those are all the scenarios that put Scola closer and closer to be in a Spurs Uniform next year.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
1-Maybe Horry retires.
2-Bonner will be back unless Scola starts hitting the three at a 40% clip.
3-Ely might be kept if Scola wants too much money.
4-Elson will be back.
5-You're insane.
6-Ian is 21 years old.
7-If trading Scola means you won't be on this board anymore, I'll start an email campaign to help get it done.

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 06:41 PM
1-Maybe Horry retires.
2-Bonner will be back unless Scola starts hitting the three at a 40% clip.
3-Ely might be kept if Scola wants too much money.
4-Elson will be back.
5-You're insane.
6-Ian is 21 years old.
7-If trading Scola means you won't be on this board anymore, I'll start an email campaign to help get it done.

I tell you what.Go fuck your self,or if you want to,get fucked by a Donkey.Your choice bitch
As far as I concerned you can email fucking president Bush,but Horry,Bonner,Ely and maybe Elson wont be with the spurs next year.Book it.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
:lol

Scola will be a Ceramic next season.

SequSpur
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
bonner, ely, elson, mahinmini, scola, beno... I hope they are all gone next year, because they suck.

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
And you still will be an freaking asshole.thats even worst

pad300
05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I do,and more tham one.Here they are:
1-Horry retires next year.
2-Bonner ainīt playing at all in the playoffs,probably wont be resigned.
3-Ely aint playing at all.Gone at the end of the season too.
4-Elson is not meeting the espectations(donīt know whats gonna happen to the Geico)
6-Mahinmi aint meeting the spurs espectations in Europe.

Those are all the scenarios that put Scola closer and closer to be in a Spurs Uniform next year.

Either you've got a very different eye for talent, or 5 is right out...

timvp
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
What sucks is that Scola chokes and lays an egg when the whole NBA is watching. It might not have effected what the Spurs think of him, but for 99% of NBA teams in attendance, his value plummeted to zero.

There's now no chance that the Spurs are able to trade him unless they basically just give him away. No team is going to give up more than like an early second rounder for a guy who struggles in Europe versus good competition and has a multi-million dollar buyout.

For a reasonable deal, I'd like to see what Scola can do with the Spurs. But with performances like this, it's becoming more and more obvious that the Spurs can't justify making him the richest second round draft pick of all-time.

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I was going by the spurs draft picks for this year,donīt mean thereīs no good PFs on this yearīs draft

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
You mean you're backtracking.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
What sucks is that Scola chokes and lays an egg when the whole NBA is watching. It might not have effected what the Spurs think of him, but for 99% of NBA teams in attendance, his value plummeted to zero.

There's now no chance that the Spurs are able to trade him unless they basically just give him away. No team is going to give up more than like an early second rounder for a guy who struggles in Europe versus good competition and has a multi-million dollar buyout.

For a reasonable deal, I'd like to see what Scola can do with the Spurs. But with performances like this, it's becoming more and more obvious that the Spurs can't justify making him the richest second round draft pick of all-time.

You know what ? I donīt like you,and you donīt like me eather,but I have to say you are right.On other hands you can kill a guy for having ONE BAD GAME, cause remembe that in Eurolegue they donīt play best of 5 or 7 series like in the NBA,it s just one game.This is an Euroleague reg season MVP candidate we are talking about,lets not forget that.

ArgSpursFan
05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
You mean you're backtracking.

NO,you are good at backtraking not me.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
NO,you are good at backtraking not me.I didn't say you were good at it.

conqueso
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM

I think he meant a PF available to the Spurs. Obviously you can't look at someone like Durant, who plays PF, and say there is no talent at that spot.

EDIT: He beat me to the punch

conqueso
05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I mean, Spurs aren't really looking to draft a big this year anyway with so many impending holes in the backcourt with Finley's imminent decline, Barry's current decline, Bowen's aging past full effectiveness, and the lack of any type of decent backup point guard.

That being said, I don't think the Spurs will get rid of Ely or Butler. They weren't signed to play this year, they were signed as long term projects. Unless one of them really screws the pooch, I don't see the Spurs bailing on them after one year. They've kept Beno on as a project for 3 years, for chrissakes. I don't see Elson leaving either, even if he hasn't been very effective in the playoffs, since he's still under contract and doesn't really have any trade value unless packaged with Barry and/or Beno. Bonner might be gone, but he's definitely the type of player that Pop likes, even if he doesn't ever really get much PT (a la Barry; he's effective sometimes against some opponents, but not most of the time).

I would like to see Scola as a Spur just because there's been so much fucking hype I'm curious to find out what he can do. But I won't lose any sleep over him staying with Ceramica or being traded.

clubalien
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I would rather sign argantinas center (OBerto) then their 4 in scola

GrandeDavid
05-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Dude's gonna be friggin 30 by the time the Spurs get wit it. :rolleyes

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I think they should just bring him over already. He's useless overseas if they keep sitting on him regardless if they're looking to use him in a deal. With each passing year, his production and value will go down.

GrandeDavid
05-07-2007, 07:25 PM
What were his game stats?

mountainballer
05-08-2007, 04:21 AM

that's right and I just to add some more informations about this player Scola, who "struggles" in big games.

Tau has been one of the top teams in Europe for some years.
they were not able to win it all, sometimes unlucky, sometimes because other teams were just this little bit better.
was it Scola, who failed at those moments? not at all. not even a bit.

2006: Tau loses the semifinals against Maccabi.
Scola was Tau's best player (17 points / 8-15 FG, 11 rebounds, 5 assists)

2005: Tau loses the finals against Maccabi.
Scola was Tau's best player (21 points / 7-11 FG, 9 rebounds, 4 assits)

2004 (no playoff round, only the winners of the 4 top 16 groups advance to the final 4): Tau very unlucky loses the 2 games against CSKA with 2 and 3 points difference. Scola's lines: 20pts/8reb/7ass and 12pts/9reb/3ass.

2003 Tau is eliminated in the top 16 round. Scola (then still only 22) is Tau's top scorer in the 6 top 16 games.(16.3 at 55%)

2002 Tau is eliminated in the top 16 round. Scola is Tau's top scorer in the 6 top 16 games (14.6 at ridiculous 75% FG)

2001 Tau advances to the Euroleague finals (back the a best of 5 series) and loses to Manu's team Bologna in a classic 5 games series. it is Scola's first Euroleague season (during the finals he just turned 21) he averages (as a bench player) 8 points and 4 rebounds (in some 17 minutes).
(just a sidenote for all who point out that Ian is just 21. back then the "unathletic" Scola was about 100 times better than Ian is at the same age)

is this the record of a player, who is constantly failing in big games?
(and I just used his Euroleague record)

to doubt Scola's ability to perform in big games, because of one bad game he played last week against Panathinaikos, is some of the most stupid and least informed stuff I have ever read about him.
no player with an above average career and consequently many big games under his belt has a perfect record. not even Tim. (remember 2004)

I'm also not happy about the Scola situation.
but downplaying Scola's abilities doesn't help and also doesn't change anything. we still have his rights and Spurs still just used a no.56 pick on him. it's still a win situation for the Spurs. it's not that they had used a high 1st rounder on him (like Magic on Vazquez for example).

Scola might never be a Spur. Scola might never ever play in the NBA. Scola might also fail in the NBA, if he joins the Spurs or another team. we just can't know it.
but nothing is changing the fact, that this player Scola is constantly contributing on a very high level in any significant competition outside the NBA. and he has proved to have the ability to step up big time in big games.
to claim the opposite is just a false allegation.

Bruno
05-08-2007, 05:57 AM
:lmao @ people who can't even read posts and who start insulting people (poor timvp and Chumpdumper :lol )

I will back up with facts what I've said in my first post :

For more than one year, Scola has always struggled in big games.

Euroleague 06 :
Tau and Scola owned in the semifinal against Maccabi. Maccabi destroyed Scola/Prigioni PnR. Scola finished with a good 17 pts and 11 rbds but you shouldn't forget that almost all the second half was garbage time.
Scola was average in the game for the third place but I don't blame him for that because he wasn't very focused (his fahter was at teh hospital with a heart problem).

ACB final 06 :
Tau swept (3-0) by Malaga. Scola was a non factor (11/6, 8/6, 14/3).Hhe was in foul trouble in almost all games and was badly outplayed by Garbajosa.

WC in Japan :
Scola was a non factor in the big game (the semifinal against Spain) : 8 points, 8 rebounds. Scola played well against a non motivted US team.

Copa del rey 07 :
Scola was very average in the semifinal loss against Madrid : 15 points, 5 rebounds and fouled out in 25 minutes.

Euroleague 07 :
6 points, 7 rebounds and fouled out in 25 minutes against Pana in Semifinal.
14 points, 5 rebounds and owned in the clutch by Pietrus in the loss against a Malaga team plagued by injuries.

And I know Scola has been slowed by a PF last year but he isn't better this year in big games. I've never said that Scola was a choker or that he has done nothing good in his carreer but FACTS are here : Scola struggles in europe during games that are the most nba relevant. You had to wonder if Scola is only a great player against euro big stiff or if he can be good in nba where he will face athletic players.

Spurs Brazil
05-08-2007, 07:03 AM
:lmao @ people who can't even read posts and who start insulting people (poor timvp and Chumpdumper :lol )

I will back up with facts what I've said in my first post :

Euroleague 06 :
Tau and Scola owned in the semifinal against Maccabi. Maccabi destroyed Scola/Prigioni PnR. Scola finished with a good 17 pts and 11 rbds but you shouldn't forget that almost all the second half was garbage time.
Scola was average in the game for the third place but I don't blame him for that because he wasn't very focused (his fahter was at teh hospital with a heart problem).

ACB final 06 :
Tau swept (3-0) by Malaga. Scola was a non factor (11/6, 8/6, 14/3).Hhe was in foul trouble in almost all games and was badly outplayed by Garbajosa.

WC in Japan :
Scola was a non factor in the big game (the semifinal against Spain) : 8 points, 8 rebounds. Scola played well against a non motivted US team.

Copa del rey 07 :
Scola was very average in the semifinal loss against Madrid : 15 points, 5 rebounds and fouled out in 25 minutes.

Euroleague 07 :
6 points, 7 rebounds and fouled out in 25 minutes against Pana in Semifinal.
14 points, 5 rebounds and owned in the clutch by Pietrus in the loss against a Malaga team plagued by injuries.

And I know Scola has been slowed by a PF last year but he isn't better this year in big games. I've never said that Scola was a choker or that he has done nothing good in his carreer but FACTS are here : Scola struggles in europe during games that are the most nba relevant. You had to wonder if Scola is only a great player against euro big stiff or if he can be good in nba where he will face athletic players.

I agree with that but in the Olympic game final he played well

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
The thing with Bruno is that,He is in love with Mahinmi,thatīs why He downplays Scola every time He gets a chance.Too bad Mahinmi is gonna have to wait until He grows some hair on his balls,and Scola will finally make it next year.

thousandth
05-08-2007, 07:29 AM
I agree with that but in the Olympic game final he played well

Olympic games? 2.004.
2005-2.006-2007? Scola have troubles in big games.

Bruno
05-08-2007, 07:43 AM
The thing with Bruno is that,He is in love with Mahinmi,thatīs why He downplays Scola every time He gets a chance.

:wtf
There are no links between Scola and Mahinmi.
If Mahinmi sign with Spurs, it will be as the 6th PF/C aka the PF/C who spend the year on the inactive list.
If Scola sign with Spurs , it will be as the 3rd, 4th or 5th PF/C.
The choice for SA isn't between Scola or Mahinmi, it's more between Scola or Bonner.

Too bad Mahinmi is gonna have to wait until He grows some hair on his balls,and Scola will finally make it next year.

:rolleyes
What you and I think is meaningless. What is important is what Spurs will do. Like it or hate it but it looks like Spurs will sign Mahinmi this summer.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 08:03 AM
If Mahinmi sign with Spurs, it will be as the 6th PF/C aka the PF/C who spend the year on the inactive list.
The choice for SA isn't between Scola or Mahinmi, it's more between Scola or Bonner.

What you and I think is meaningless. What is important is what Spurs will do. Like it or hate it but it looks like Spurs will sign Mahinmi this summer.
Here is where Iīm coming from:If they sign Mahinmi to put him in the inactive players list or send him to the Dleague,they could use that money to sing a player who can jump to the floor and play next year.Mahinmi can wait another year in Europe,and will get more experience there tham in the Dleague,to keep on developing his game.The Dleague is just gonna keep him where He is right now BBwise.

Mr. Body
05-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Scorecard: mountainballer.

Sorry, Bruno, you got beat. His statlines in losses look pretty much fine.

I don't know why timvp flies off the handle when players perform poorly. Sure, it's not the best when a guy underperforms when scouts are there, but this is hardly the first time American scouts have seen Scola play. This is like when Brent started playing poorly around the New Year - team executives have long memories, banks of games on videotape, and a single game or hiccup in performance is not going to sway a major decision. Affect it, sure, but it's not like interest in his has just been torpedoed. Last I looked, he's doled out for years, thick and thin, and last I looked, this draft and this free agency market are thin on post scorers.

Bruno
05-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Here is where Iīm coming from:If they sign Mahinmi to put him in the inactive players list or send him to the Dleague,they could use that money to sing a player who can jump to the floor and play next year.

Even money wise, it's not Scola or Mahinmi.
Mahinmi is a late first round pick, his salary is defined by the CBA and is low (less than $1M per year).
Money wise, Spurs will have to decide to spend the MLE on Scola or on other free agents.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I donīt see the need of another center.Thereīs Elson,Oberto,Duncan(PF/C)Butler and now Mahinmi.
And honestly,by this playoffs games so far:Oberto>Mahinmi

Mavs<Spurs
05-08-2007, 12:23 PM

Bruno, how do you know that the Spurs will sign Mahinmi this summer - or what are the signs that this will take place. I thought that he still had way too much development to do prior to coming to the NBA.

If he did come, would we send him to the D League ?

Bruno
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Bruno, how do you know that the Spurs will sign Mahinmi this summer - or what are the signs that this will take place.

1- Ludden has said in two of his maibags that Mahinmi will likely be a Spurs next season.
2- Some articles in France says that Mahinmi is on his way out to SA.
3- I've translated last week a french article about Mahinmi about his future with SA : http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1618824&postcount=809

I thought that he still had way too much development to do prior to coming to the NBA.

If he did come, would we send him to the D League ?

Mahinmi is far from being nba ready but what his the best solution for his development : playing in europe or playing in DLeague + Spurs pratice and training ?
For a raw athletic player like Mahinmi, I'm not sure that staying in europe is the best solution.
he should spend a lot of time in Dleague.

ducks
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
mahinmi needs court time
in euro they play vets over there
so he is not gettign much
like I said last year best to bring him over now

had he been here all year he could do no worse then ely

ChumpDumper
05-08-2007, 01:17 PM
There have been many indications in the press that Ian will be signed this summer -- Bruno just posted two of them. I don't see why anyone has a problem with his not playing much for the Spurs the first year. The Spurs have done this so often, a person would have to be pretty ignorant to think this is somehow a bad thing or undesirable for a young player. Ian will get alot of minutes in the D-League, just look at Mouhamed Sene, Amir Johnson, Patrick O'Bryant and Pops Mensa-Bonsu. Do their teams consider those players complete wastes? Absolutely not.

There are many scenarios where Ian and Scola could both be signed. Arrrrghfan is too myopic to understand that Scola is AN option, not THE option. We aren't saying Ian is better than Scola, just that it's much easier for the Spurs to decide to bring him over at this time. It will also be much easier to keep Bonner and to a lesser extent Ely without blowing the MLE on them like they would have to do with Scola. There are many holes on this team that Scola simply doesn't fill.

yavozerb
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
It all comes down to $. I personally do not know how much it will take to sign scola, but I keep reading posts that it could take as much as mle. I for one rather treat mahinmi like butler was treated this year and spend the year learning american basketball through playing in the d-league or simply practicing with the spurs. Lets remember that elson's contract is up next year so mahinmi could step right in and take his spot while saving mllions to re-sign him. I also believe that the spurs will carry at least 2-3 young players (1-2 year) on the roster due to contracts being done in 2008 (finley, horry, elson,barry, oberto). This would be the perfect draft and offseason to fill the roster with back-up young players to learn the system and figure out who has long term potential and in the process save millions on FA.

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
unleash fuckn scola now!!

temujin
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Scola is probably going to be traded.
It would start by game 30 in any team below .500.
Would play 20 minutes by Game 40 in about any team above.

Including the Spurs.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Thatīs for sure.Scola will never be a Ginobili,as far as popularity,but He can be a VERY DECENT PF for any team in this league.Including the spurs

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Scola is probably going to be traded.
It would start by game 30 in any team below .500.
Would play 20 minutes by Game 40 in about any team above.

Including the Spurs.

Thatīs exacly what happened to Walter Herrmann this year.And nobody belived in him,same thing with Scola.

yavozerb
05-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Thatīs exacly what happened to Walter Herrmann this year.And nobody belived in him,same thing with Scola.

Herrmann was signed for 1.8 million, do you think Scola would do the same?

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Herrmann was signed for 1.8 million, do you think Scola would do the same?

He would play for free if he has to,but his buyout is killing him.He is not asking for a contract for money to himself,he just need to pay his buyout.thats all.

temujin
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Lots of the people on this board never watched him play.
They don't have the foggiest idea what the euroleague level is about.
There is no way an NBA < .500 team can even come close to make it to the euroleague finals.
Scola has been one of the best this year in Euroleague.

To think that he would sit watching Oberto or Elson play is simply ridiculous.

It's just too expensive.
That's the basic point.

velik_m
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
There have been many indications in the press that Ian will be signed this summer -- Bruno just posted two of them. I don't see why anyone has a problem with his not playing much for the Spurs the first year. The Spurs have done this so often, a person would have to be pretty ignorant to think this is somehow a bad thing or undesirable for a young player. Ian will get alot of minutes in the D-League, just look at Mouhamed Sene, Amir Johnson, Patrick O'Bryant and Pops Mensa-Bonsu. Do their teams consider those players complete wastes? Absolutely not.

There are many scenarios where Ian and Scola could both be signed. Arrrrghfan is too myopic to understand that Scola is AN option, not THE option. We aren't saying Ian is better than Scola, just that it's much easier for the Spurs to decide to bring him over at this time. It will also be much easier to keep Bonner and to a lesser extent Ely without blowing the MLE on them like they would have to do with Scola. There are many holes on this team that Scola simply doesn't fill.

Screw Bonner, go after Slokar.

yavozerb
05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=ArgSpursFan]He would play for free if he has to,but his buyout is killing him.He is not asking for a contract for money to himself,he just need to pay his buyout.thats all.[/QUOTE

I think he has 3 mil buyout this year (quoted from page 1), so I am sure the spurs or someone else would give him 2-3 mil, but I ahve a feeling he is asking for his buyout to be payed and to make 2-3 mil. on top of that..

leemajors
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
He would play for free if he has to,but his buyout is killing him.He is not asking for a contract for money to himself,he just need to pay his buyout.thats all.

as has been discussed many times previously, he could take out a loan like everyone else to pay it off.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=ArgSpursFan]He would play for free if he has to,but his buyout is killing him.He is not asking for a contract for money to himself,he just need to pay his buyout.thats all.[/QUOTE

I think he has 3 mil buyout this year (quoted from page 1), so I am sure the spurs or someone else would give him 2-3 mil, but I ahve a feeling he is asking for his buyout to be payed and to make 2-3 mil. on top of that..

even if the spurs want to pay his buyout,they cant,by NBA rules they only can pay 500k for the buyout.
So the rest of the money of his 1st yr. with the spurs or any other NBA team, He should use it to pay TAU back.

yavozerb
05-08-2007, 04:01 PM
even if the spurs want to pay his buyout,they cant,by NBA rules they only can pay 500k for the buyout.
So the rest of the money of his 1st yr. with the spurs or any other NBA team, He should use it to pay TAU back.

Sounds good to me..If he was as simple minded as you or I he would already be in NBA..I hope I am wrong but I still think he thinks shouldn't have to pay a dime and is trying to get a larger contract to compensate

Mitch Cumsteen
05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
It's always been about the buyout and contract with Scola. I don't think anybody has questioned the talent, outside of the typical, "Yeah... but can he play in the NBA?" line that you hear about all foreign players.

I'm not sure why, but I get the growing feeling that we're never going to see Scola in a Spurs uniform.

Drive Like Jehu
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
You would think Scola could reduce the buyout on his own.

Why not tell Tau he is willing to sit out the season? They may be more willing to get a reduced buyout amount as opposed to getting nothing.

yavozerb
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Just saw on cnn/si that Tau lost their final game. here are scola's stats:
14 pts (6-11)(2-5 FT),5 rbs, 2 ast, 1 bk in 33 min.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
We need help rebounding and Scola does jsut that. i wouldnt mind bringing him in at all.

i dont know how good he would be in the post but after years of people whining about how anyone with a post game cannot coexist with Duncan we suddenly have noone down low when Duncan goes out of the game.

I like the idea of Scola coming in for us.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
You would think Scola could reduce the buyout on his own.

Why not tell Tau he is willing to sit out the season? They may be more willing to get a reduced buyout amount as opposed to getting nothing.
Cause Scola wouldnt do that to the team who putted him in the International Scenario.The guy is a real pro and I belive after this season,the TAU owners will realize that his time with the team is up.NBA time for Scola,hopefully the spurs.who knows.

mountainballer
05-09-2007, 05:15 AM
maybe some are interested:

Scola has just been voted popular MVP of the Spanish league by the fans. (he got about 60.000 out of 190.000 votes). the fans choice also counts for the election of the official league MVP, so no doubt that Scola will win the official MVP this season. (his 2nd after he also won 2005)

well, we all know now, how much overrated Scola is and that he will for sure be a bust in the NBA, but in Spain there are still some left, who think he is a good player. ridiculous. they should stop watching him week by week and start to learn a bit from the ST.com analysis.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2007, 06:14 AM
maybe some are interested:

Scola has just been voted popular MVP of the Spanish league by the fans. (he got about 60.000 out of 190.000 votes). the fans choice also counts for the election of the official league MVP, so no doubt that Scola will win the official MVP this season. (his 2nd after he also won 2005)

well, we all know now, how much overrated Scola is and that he will for sure be a bust in the NBA, but in Spain there are still some left, who think he is a good player. ridiculous. they should stop watching him week by week and start to learn a bit from the ST.com analysis.

HTF can you be a bust when u havnt set foot in the league yet???

i prefer to have scola over here than ian mahinmi, the longer ian stays in europe not getting any minutes, is not doing him any good.

scola should just accept 3-4million a year, take it or leave it.

mountainballer
05-09-2007, 06:43 AM
HTF can you be a bust when u havnt set foot in the league yet???

maybe by recognizing the irony factor?

ArgSpursFan
05-09-2007, 07:56 AM
I think Scola will be talking to the Tau owners about his future and buyout anytime soon.Itīs clear that when a player is not happy in a team(or league)wont perfom as He should,and I think thatīs what happened to Scola this year.

A.H 21-50
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
with no considerations to the buyout ect......

i think the spurs want scola next year and from what i saw on the international scene it makes sense

people want to trade him to move up on the draft or something else but he might be better than all the projects...

ArgSpursFan
05-09-2007, 08:04 AM
with no considerations to the buyout ect......

i think the spurs want scola next year and from what i saw on the international scene it makes sense

people want to trade him to move up on the draft or something else but he might be better than all the projects...

No doubt,I reather bring Scola tham Gambling with a 21 yrs old 2nd rounder in this yrīs draft.