PDA

View Full Version : probably discussed here before, but where does Tim rank all time?

gaKNOW!blee
05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
If this is an old topic, I apologize, but where does Tim Duncan rank in your mind among the best players of ALL TIME. I know he is the greatest PF, but what about overall.

I gotta say top 10.

He will get atleast 15 all star games.
13 All Nba Teams
13 All Nba defensive teams
2 MVP's
perhaps 5 rings
5 finals Mvp's
ROY
DPOY
All Star MVP
Olympic Team member
and the list goes on.......

and thats not even counting the actual numbers, countless points, rebounds, and blocks. Not to mention a bunch of assists for his position.

These numbers are what Im predicting.

Kobulingam
05-07-2007, 08:32 PM
top 10

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Sec24Row7
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Giving him 166% of the championships he has currently is a little much...

heh...

DarrinS
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Best power forward of all time. That's good enough for me.

Leetonidas
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
As the best PF of all time, I think that automatically puts him in the top 10.

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, let's rank em, shall we?

Note that this list is up for a few changes.

1. Jordan
2. Chamberlain
3. Russell
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Kareem
7. Oscar
8. Duncan?
9. Erving
10. West

How does that look?

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Right now IMO he's #10 behind:
MJ, Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Oscar, Hakeem, Bird, Shaq

I think (hope) he has 1, maybe 2 more championship runs. If so, when he hangs it up he leapfrogs over Shaq, Bird, Hakeem and Oscar to finish #6.

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, let's rank em, shall we?

Note that this list is up for a few changes.

1. Jordan
2. Chamberlain
3. Russell
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Kareem
7. Oscar
8. Duncan?
9. Erving
10. West

How does that look?

Pretty close to my list, only I think Shaq and Hakeem with 6 rings between them and being absolute monsters in their respective primes have achieved more than West and Doc have. Although West and Doc have the consistency/longevity factor in their favor, I'd give higher points for peak performance, especially if it results in rings.

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM

I think (hope) he has 1, maybe 2 more championship runs. If so, when he hangs it up he leapfrogs over Shaq, Bird, Hakeem and Oscar to finish #6.

I already put him over Shaq, who was nothing but a huge center to inhale rebounds and kick it to Wade or make dunks in the lane for his fourth ring. Duncan will do 10x more for his team this playoff run, even sans ring, than Shaq did for the Heat last year.

Compare the games of Duncan and Shaq, and it's not a comparison. Duncan is better on offense, defense, and intangibles. Shaq is the equivalent of a bulldozer and is now a liability because his massive frame is slowing down.

Duncan is so much more complete of a player than Shaq, and always has been, that you have to give him the nod, IMO.

Obviously biased, but I don't care. Shaq anointed himself the MDE yet never led the league in rebounds or blocks -- an atrocity for a man of his size.

Pretty close to my list, only I think Shaq and Hakeem with 6 rings between them and being absolute monsters in their respective primes have achieved more than West and Doc have. Although West and Doc have the consistency/longevity factor in their favor, I'd give higher points for peak performance, especially if it results in rings.

Yeah. It's so difficult to compare eras. I guess I might have Hakeem in West's place... though man it feels so wrong to leave him off a top 10... Dr. J as well.

It's going to get crowded up at the top, too, with LeBron, Wade, Duncan... Monta Ellis..... :drunk

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
He is definitely in my top 10. My top 10 may change, depending on my mood, but he should always be in my top 10.

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I already put him over Shaq, who was nothing but a huge center to inhale rebounds and kick it to Wade or make dunks in the lane.

Compare the games of Duncan and Shaq, and it's not a comparison. Duncan is better on offense, defense, and intangibles. Shaq is the equivalent of a bulldozer and is now a liability because his massive frame is slowing down.

Duncan is so much more complete of a player than Shaq, and always has been, that you have to give him the nod, IMO.

Obviously biased, but I don't care. Shaq anointed himself the MDE yet never led the league in rebounds or blocks -- an atrocity for a man of his size.

I'd normally tend to agree with you as a Spur fan but at the end of the day, if I'm really honest, as of right now, Shaq has a greater body of work. Also, like I said, in Shaq's prime (the 2000 and 2001 seasons) he was unstoppable. He's always been a lazy bum and a classless person, but his physical gifts combined with playing for Phil and with all-star SGs really brought out the best in him.

Having said that, I have little doubt that Tim surpasses him when it's all said and done.

gaKNOW!blee
05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Giving him 166% of the championships he has currently is a little much...

heh...

well what if they win this year? thats already 4( not trying to predict anything) and you gotta believe he will play atleast 5 more years and the spurs will be title contenders each of those years.

ducks
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
why not wait tell the playoffs all over and duncan gets mvp award in finals?

slayermin
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I think you have to look at TD's play at both ends of the court. It's a very short list of players that did it at both ends better than Tim Duncan.

If he wins number four, he's top five all-time, imo.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Bird > Magic

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Bird > Magic

That would be a stretch.

Magic: 5 rings, Bird: 3
MVPs: 3 apiece
Finals MVPs: Magic 3, Bird 2
Head to head: Magic 2, Bird 1

Magic had the better career. Suits up as center in game 6 of the NBA Finals as a rookie and gets 42/15/7 ... the most amazing Finals performance ever

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
i like magic, but bird never had a true dominating big man the way magic did. while it might be unfair to negate magic's skills b/c he had kareem by his side, I think larry bird had the highest basketball IQ of any player in nba history.

i could see why people would put magic over bird, but personally, based on individual talent, I go with Bird

OldDirtMcGirt
05-07-2007, 10:44 PM

That list looks really solid. Probably where I'd put him too, and as others have said he's the best PF of all time.

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I think larry bird had the highest basketball IQ of any player in nba history.

Higher than Beno's? :wtf :dizzy

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Higher than Beno's? :wtf :dizzy

oh, whoops

#2 basketball iq of all time :toast

BradLohaus
05-08-2007, 12:37 AM
If he wins number four, he's top five all-time, imo.

If Tim wins another Finals MVP he will join Jordan as the only 2 players with more than 3 Finals MVP's. That's automatic top 5, at the the very least.