PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni: Suns have better players than Spurs

CubanMustGo
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/nba_news/sunsheart_070507.html

Suns Look for More Heart in Critical Game 2
By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
Posted May 7 2007 9:02PM

PHOENIX, May 7 (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns have better players. San Antonio has a better team, at least for now.

That was the conclusion of Suns coach Mike D'Antoni in the wake of the Spurs' bloody 111-106 victory in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals.

"I hate to say this and I hope it sounds the right way. I think we have more talent than they do, :dramaquee '' D'Antoni said after the Suns practiced on Monday. "I think that we're individually better. Collectively, they're better right now.''

The Phoenix coach was mum on what changes he planned for Tuesday night's Game 2, but Amare Stoudemire spilled the beans on one big move.

"I think we're going to start Kurt Thomas,'' he said.

That would seem to make sense.

The professed reason that Phoenix acquired Thomas from the New York Knicks in 2005 was to give the Suns a rugged defender to go against the Spurs' Tim Duncan, who dominated inside for 33 points and 16 rebounds in Game 1.

"Kurt is a good defender,'' said San Antonio's Tony Parker, who scored 32 on Sunday, "so I guess they want to slow down Timmy. I thought he did a pretty good job on Timmy last night, and I can see why coach D'Antoni wants to do that.''

Adding Thomas will slow the Suns, but will relieve Stoudemire of the burden of guarding Duncan. Foul trouble plagued Stoudemire throughout Sunday's game.

Parker and Steve Nash pronounced themselves ready to play on Tuesday after their head-on collision late in Sunday's game. Parker had a headache Sunday night and a bump on his head, but said he felt fine on Monday.

Nash missed a crucial 45 seconds in the final minute of Sunday's loss because a cut on his nose was bleeding profusely. On Monday, the cut that required six stitches was covered by a bandage.

"I'm not thinking about it,'' Nash said. "We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but I don't think I'll have any problems.''

Of more concern to the two-time defending league MVP was his belief that there were times the Suns did not play with the intensity required for a matchup of this magnitude. The 33-year-old point guard knows that the window for winning championships will not be open forever.

"This is the toughest matchup for us,'' Nash said. "They've got size, sort of a collective toughness you have to deal with. They've got experience and they play hard. They're extremely disciplined.

"I'm at a loss to explain why we think that we can go out there and not outhustle them and outwork them and win games.''

D'Antoni said the Spurs were mentally tougher than the Suns on Sunday.

"We all collectively have to pick up our energy and concentration, our mental ability to get over the hump,'' he said. "They put `champion' by their name for a reason. There's a lot of guys who will never be in this position again. I told them today `This could be your only chance in life to be a champion, so we're going to have to dig harder.'''

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich pointed out that a couple of plays at the end won the game, not some dominating San Antonio performance. The Spurs lost Game 1 at home against Denver in the opening round, then won the next four.

"It's not a desperate situation,'' Popovich said. "Good teams come back from losses in the regular season and even more so in the postseason. They'll be a heck of a team tomorrow night.''

But so will the Spurs, who have visions of their third NBA title in five years.

D'Antoni said he again will start with the bigger Shawn Marion guarding the speedy Parker. Again, the idea will be to force the San Antonio point guard to shoot jumpers rather than layups.

"I would think a 15-foot shot is better than a 2-foot,'' the Suns coach said.

That didn't surprise Parker.

"I think they're going to change nothing,'' he said. "I think they're just going to see if I can hit shots the whole series.''

Outside shooting was a deficiency for Parker when he first came to the NBA as a 19-year-old in 2001, but that's no longer the case, as the Suns know too well.

"Tony's put in the time,'' Popovich said. "That's what it takes. When a player is that dedicated to change something and to improve, it usually works for him.''

The Spurs have won five consecutive playoff games and are 12-4 against Phoenix since Nash came to the Suns in 2004.

"If we put these guys down 2-0 going back to our house, it puts some incredible pressure on them,'' Duncan said. "It's incredible pressure anyway with us up 1-0.''

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
So let's see.... their players are more talented, individually better, and yet we've historically stomped them.

Our players are less talented and only better "as a team", yet we hustle individually to get rebounds and loose balls, and outplay them?

They're better individually. Right. That's why D'Antoni is CHANGING HIS LINEUP, after just one Game against San Antonio. Does that sound like a coach who thinks he has better players?

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't understand. Why are you giving his rants a forum. Why give any thought to his lunacy? The majority of Suns fans don't.

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
D'Antoni basically admitted that Pop owns him as a coach, and Pop's system owns his.

How else do you have better players and yet keep losing?

CubanMustGo
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
He wants to give us some bulletin board material, so I posted it. And he IS the voice of your franchise.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
This dude just needs to shut up.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
And he IS the voice of your franchise.

:smchode:

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
As a Suns fan I agree, but when he says stuff like that, he is shooting himself in the foot. If you feel that you have better talent, and you cannot beat this team, then the result is all on you.

For the record, I do believe him when he says that the Suns have more talent. Do they have the better team, when the series ends, we shall see. (should be the Spurs)

lurker
05-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I like the Suns more than the Spurs, but seriously, what is Mike smoking that makes him think the Suns are individually better? :lol The rest of the team depends too much on Steve.

dknights411
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
If Thomas is such a good defender, why keep him out of Game 1?

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
If Thomas is such a good defender, why keep him out of Game 1?

I thought we already covered that D'Antoni was an idiot?!

Well, in case you missed it, he's an idiot!

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
As a Suns fan I agree, but when he says stuff like that, he is shooting himself in the foot. If you feel that you have better talent, and you cannot beat this team, then the result is all on you.

For the record, I do believe him when he says that the Suns have more talent. Do they have the better team, when the series ends, we shall see. (should be the Spurs)

Does talent count for defense, too? Because the Spurs have been the most talented defensive team in the league (along with Detroit during their title run) for about 8 years now. It's not often that a team has the two best defenders (sorry Camby, your block party isn't worth didly now) in the league.

Not trying to argue. I'm just really sick to death of hearing about talent.

Talent is what Darius Miles had coming out of high school. Talent is Trajan Langdon. Talent is Sebastian Telfair. I bet 99.999/100 people would have picked any of them to be a better player than Bruce Bowen upon entering the league, especially from a statistical perspective. But let me ask you this: For all the lack of his numbers, what would you or the Mavs give to have him on your team right now? That goes for Duncan as well, who will probably never have a 60 point game in his career, so obviously he's less "talented".

L.I.T
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Starting Kurt Thomas? Suns are screwed.

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Starting Kurt Thomas? Suns are screwed.

Helllooooooooooooooo 92 to 85 games!

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Does talent count for defense, too? Because the Spurs have been the most talented team in the league (along with Detroit during their title run) for about 8 years now.

Talent is what Darius Miles had coming out of high school. I bet 99.999/100 people would have picked him to be a better player than Bruce Bowen, especially from a statistical perspective. But let me ask you this: For all the lack of his numbers, what would you or the Mavs give to have him on your team right now? That goes for Duncan as well, who will probably never have a 60 point game in his career, so obviously he's less "talented".

Amen. Does talent = physical skills? Mental skills? If a player has every shot in the book but insists on making impossible shots and plays without discipline, in my book he doesn't get any points for talent.

Results = Skills + Brains + Effort + Discipline
Why talk about skills alone?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
:lol D'Antoni, needs to keep his mouth shut. You think things like that, whether true, valid or not, but don't say it! :lol

I hope Manu owns tomorrow. Because when he's on, he's on another level. It's like 5 Manus.

5 Manus > than opposing team.

Dro210
05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Kurt Thomas.... Ha... He'll be fouled out by the end of the 1st

ShoogarBear
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Actually, D'Antoni is being honest here, and I think he's right. The Suns do have more talented individual players.

Interestingly, though, he doesn't take the statement to the logical conclusion most of us have reached: the Suns' system (i.e., coaching) is inferior.

And starting Kurt Thomas, assuming that also means more minutes for him, is going to make things very, very tough for the Spurs.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Does talent count for defense, too? Because the Spurs have been the most talented defensive team in the league (along with Detroit during their title run) for about 8 years now. It's not often that a team has the two best defenders (sorry Camby, your block party isn't worth didly now) in the league.

Talent is what Darius Miles had coming out of high school. Talent is Trajan Langdon. Talent is Sebastian Telfair. I bet 99.999/100 people would have picked any of them to be a better player than Bruce Bowen upon entering the league, especially from a statistical perspective. But let me ask you this: For all the lack of his numbers, what would you or the Mavs give to have him on your team right now? That goes for Duncan as well, who will probably never have a 60 point game in his career, so obviously he's less "talented".

Talent does come into effect. However, IMO, Defense is more about coaching, execution, and being in the right positions, something that D'Antoni could learn a thing or ten from Popovich.

Extra Stout
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I am the Suns' Achilles heel.

L.I.T
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Helllooooooooooooooo 92 to 85 games!

Yup, just what the Suns excel at, rough-and-tumble grind-it-out games. Score.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Actually, D'Antoni is being honest here, and I think he's right. The Suns do have more talented individual players.

Interestingly, though, he doesn't take the statement to the logical conclusion most of us have reached: the Suns' system (i.e., coaching) is inferior.

And starting Kurt Thomas, assuming that also means more minutes for him, is going to make things very, very tough for the Spurs.

:tu

luckily, we're smarter

but game 2 will be extra interesting with d'antoni making *gasp* adjustments

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 09:40 PM

And all is right with the world...

I pray this start for Thomas rights the ship. They have no shot if it doesn't.

timvp
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM

:pctoss

This was exactly what I didn't want to happen. Thomas was effective in slowing not only Duncan, but also was effective in limiting Parker in pick-and-rolls.

If someone watched a tape of Game 1, it was the obvious move to make. I'm still surprised D'Antoni made the move because playing Thomas means that they pretty much admit the Suns' regular style won't work.

But yeah, this series just got a whole lot harder.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
And this is nothing new. The Mavs have had more talent than the Spurs since 2000, and it didn't matter until they got a coach who was more interested in winning titles than showing off a great "system".

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 09:43 PM

I didn't go as far as to say that his system is inferior. His offensive system is vastly superior. Popovich's defensive system is vastly superior. Popovich's ability to make in game adjustments, rather than watching the tape to make the adjustments makes him the better coach.

ShoogarBear
:pctoss

This was exactly what I didn't want to happen. Thomas was effective in slowing not only Duncan, but also was effective in limiting Parker in pick-and-rolls.

If someone watched a tape of Game 1, it was the obvious move to make. I'm still surprised D'Antoni made the move because playing Thomas means that they pretty much admit the Suns' regular style won't work.

But yeah, this series just got a whole lot harder.Maybe, in order to really show off his genius, D'Antoni is also going to start Marcus Banks.

timvp
And it's pretty obvious that the Suns have more talent. It's not even close.

But the Spurs have beat so many teams with more talent than them over the years that it shouldn't even be a noteworthy point.

ducks
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
pop does have some time to prepare now though since amare opened his BIG MOUTH

L.I.T
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
And all is right with the world...

I pray this start for Thomas rights the ship. They have no shot if it doesn't.

You're probably right, the Suns don't have much of a chance if they continue playing their current system.

But, is D'Antoni's players and system conducive to going toe-to-toe against the Spurs in a half-court defensive battle? Looks to me like the Spurs are firmly back in the heads of the Suns and are beginning to impose their will and style of play on the series.

Of course all this is just speculation till after the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

It's obvious the Suns have more depth and talent than us.

That said, Nash, Duncan . Amare , and Tony cancel each other out...(and I'm thinking Nash cancels out Duncan, and Amare cancels out Tony, despite how weird it sounds)

Manu and Marion cancel each other out currently too. :lol

I still think our big three, and our system > their big 3 and their system. Despite the scoring edge they have on us in terms of pieces.

"This is the toughest matchup for us,'' Nash said. "They've got size, sort of a collective toughness you have to deal with. They've got experience and they play hard. They're extremely disciplined.

"I'm at a loss to explain why we think that we can go out there and not outhustle them and outwork them and win games.''

D'Antoni said the Spurs were mentally tougher than the Suns on Sunday.
"We all collectively have to pick up our energy and concentration, our mental ability to get over the hump,'' he said. "They put `champion' by their name for a reason. There's a lot of guys who will never be in this position again. I told them today `This could be your only chance in life to be a champion, so we're going to have to dig harder.'''

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich pointed out that a couple of plays at the end won the game, not some dominating San Antonio performance. The Spurs lost Game 1 at home against Denver in the opening round, then won the next four.

"It's not a desperate situation,'' Popovich said. "Good teams come back from losses in the regular season and even more so in the postseason. They'll be a heck of a team tomorrow night.''

I hope the Spurs are ready and aware of this. The Suns are going to be scary tomorrow. Also, Nash REALLY seems more determined as a leader than he was in 2005.

easjer
I'm very curious to see what playing Thomas long minutes does to the Suns. I don't think it will necessarily impact much, actually. Make it tighter for Tim, but also play into our strength of a slower, half court game. Their offense is necessarily reduced . . . so I don't think it will necessarily kill the Spurs, though it will have repurcussions. Tomorrow should be an interesting game.

Purple & Gold
05-07-2007, 09:46 PM
He should write a book about this.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
There's two scary things worth mentioning -

1. Starting Thomas to deal with Duncan is about the smartest thing D'Antoni could have done. Things just got a lot tougher.

2. Pop has historically sucked ass at adjusting to adjustments in the playoffs.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2007, 09:50 PM

1. Starting Thomas to deal with Duncan is about the smartest thing D'Antoni could have done. Things just got a lot tougher.

Any examples beyond Smallball with our personnel?

timvp
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Starting Thomas was really a no-brainer for D'Antoni. Stoudemire can't guard Duncan. The Suns can't rebound with the Spurs when they are small. The Suns can't guard Parker off of pick-and-rolls when they are small. Thomas solves all of that.

Now perhaps the Spurs can use this and double off of Thomas on the defensive end to help slow down the pick-and-rolls. If the Spurs do that, perhaps the move can be negated.

But overall, I see this is bad news for Spurs fans.

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I think Pop is prepared for this one. In fact, I was surprised Thomas didn't get more minutes in game 1, especially when a foul-prone Amare wasn't working.

This had to happen. Diaw/Marion/Amare are sitting ducks for Duncan.

I think Duncan will struggle for at most 1 game with Thomas. After that, he figures him out. After all, he's been toe-to-toe with Nene and Camby pretty recently. If Manu comes to play tomorrow, the reduced productivity from Duncan can be made up for. And Pop has to play more pick-and-roll and dribble penetration instead of 4-down, which I think he will.

jmard5
05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Works well for the Spurs since Duncan is Duncan. Not sure with the Suns since definitely they will slow down playing straight into the Spurs' type of game.

slayermin
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
So if he starts Thomas, doesn that mean Marion slides to the three?

That kind of limits them on the offensive end. Stoudemire and Thomas aren't three point shooters so they can't really space the floor as well as if Marion was at the four. Plus James Jones is a better three point shooter than Marion so that further diminishes their three point shooting.

Thomas did play well on Sunday but this move benefits the Spurs, imo.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Any examples beyond Smallball with our personnel?2004 WCSF

I think Pop will come up with adjustments. I just hope it doesn't take a loss or two for him to do it.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM

How many 1st team all defenses has Thomas played on exactly? Some of you guys are giving him way too much credit. It is a lot easier to look good against Timmy for a few possessions than it is to try and do it for 40 min. Tim has got a lot of height on him. He will just have to face him up and go around or fight harder for position and shoot over top of him.

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Starting Thomas was really a no-brainer for D'Antoni. Stoudemire can't guard Duncan. The Suns can't rebound with the Spurs when they are small. The Suns can't guard Parker off of pick-and-rolls when they are small. Thomas solves all of that.

Now perhaps the Spurs can use this and double off of Thomas on the defensive end to help slow down the pick-and-rolls. If the Spurs do that, perhaps the move can be negated.

Doubling off Thomas doesn't guarantee success. He has a steady 18-footer that can hurt us if we double off him. I'd rather mix it up, stay on him sometimes, leave him open others, don't let him get into rhythm. Get the rebound and push the other way, as he is the slowest of the pack. Make more transition buckets.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
That kind of limits them on the offensive end. Stoudemire and Thomas aren't three point shooters so they can't really space the floor as well as if Marion was at the four. Plus James Jones is a better three point shooter than Marion so that diminishes their three point shooting significantly.This is why I think D'Antoni has been so resistent to playing Thomas, because it messes up his precious offense.

Like scoring in traditional sets would be a problem with Nash running the point.

K-State Spur
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Manu doing his thing would more than negate that. It's gonna be tough to beat them again with him shooting that poorly.

Thomas is not a "Tim Stopper", but 33/16 is looking less likely.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
This is why I think D'Antoni has been so resistent to playing Thomas, because it messes up his precious offense.

Like scoring in traditional sets would be a problem with Nash running the point.

Two for two... good stuff.

2centsworth
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Let's look at the comparison:

Steve Nash versus Tony Parker: Nash is better on offense, but Tony is light years ahead on defense.

Raja Bell versus Michael Finley: Only reason Bell is in Phoenix is because Fin didn't sign. Also, Fin had Bell sitting on the bench in Dallas.

Marion vs Bowen: Again defensively it's not even close, but offensively advantage Marion

James Jones/Diaw vs Elson/Oberto: They all suck, but atleast Oberto steps up.

Amare vs Duncan: Duncan hands down.

I don't see where the talent disparity is obvious?

Is it their thin bench that makes up the difference?

Spurs have more well rounded talent, better coaching, more experience, and bigger balls. Antoni is begging.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Manu doing his thing would more than negate that. It's gonna be tough to beat them again with him shooting that poorly.

Thomas is not a "Tim Stopper", but 33/16 is looking less likely.

If Manu and Tony both play well Tim will not need 33 and 16 but he can get it if he has to. Thomas is not going to stop Timmy for a whole game. Camby was the D player of the year and Tim pretty much had his way with him.

ducks
05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
the big three need to get between 60-70
if suns score over 100 closer to 70
finley has been part of the big three not manu in scoring
to keep manu homers happy
I will say the big 4 need between 80-90

J.T.
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't think this will affect Tim as much as it will our penetration. It'll be harder for Tony and Manu to drive to the hole with Thomas in the lineup. Manu hasn't been himself lately, but I expect him to snap out of it.

Finley and Horry have been great in this postseason, though. If they can continue to play at the level they're at, and Manu snaps out of this funk, I think we'll still win this series in 5 or 6.

lefty
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
D'Antoni basically admitted that Pop owns him as a coach, and Pop's system owns his.

+10000

Mitch Cumsteen
05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Starting Thomas works right into the Spurs hands. It's going to slow the game down considerably. Big deal if Duncan doesn't get 30. He won't need to. And Phoenix isn't going to have all those great looks from the 3 point line either.

Everybody was railing on Avery for going small against GS, saying that it sent his team the wrong message. This is the exact same thing. D'Antoni is telling his team that they aren't good enough at playing their brand of basketball to beat the Spurs. After 88 games of run and gun, all of the sudden they are going to starting grinding it out? Perfect. Bring it on.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
D'Antoni is telling his team that they aren't good enough at playing their brand of basketball to beat the Spurs.

But they are not. As for Thomas, reread some of the more well regarded posters here for his potential impact.

As far as slowing the pace down, the Suns scored 53 in the first half when Thomas played big minutes and 53 in the second when Thomas played just a handful.

He helps on rebounds, defense and toughness, three areas Phoenix needs.

slayermin
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Starting Thomas works right into the Spurs hands. It's going to slow the game down considerably. Big deal if Duncan doesn't get 30. He won't need to. And Phoenix isn't going to have all those great looks from the 3 point line either.

Everybody was railing on Avery for going small against GS, saying that it sent his team the wrong message. This is the exact same thing. D'Antoni is telling his team that they aren't good enough at playing their brand of basketball to beat the Spurs. After 88 games of run and gun, all of the sudden they are going to starting grinding it out? Perfect. Bring it on.

Yep, that is what I was thinking. Their team is not built to grind it out.

J.T.
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM

I think we'll do better if we try to get 5 guys in double figs and some gravy points from Vaughn and Bowen. Oberto and Horry can get 10ppg if they keep playing the way they have. Counting on 4 guys to carry the load on the offensive end won't cut it against Phoenix. I'd love to see Barry hit some big 3s like he did against the Suns last time we played them, too.

Honestly I think the key to negating this adjustment by the Suns is for Parker to hit his jumper consistently. His shot is better now and he's got to be used to teams trying to stop his penetration. But if they don't respect his jumper, he can still unload high 20s in ppg. I'd also look for Tim to take over the post again like he did to the Mavs last year. He can put Thomas in foul trouble easily, and send the Suns right back to their usual lineup.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Yep, that is what I was thinking. Their team is not built to grind it out.

Why, because they rarely do it? Isn't Thomas built for grind it out, rebounding, defensive games? Bell? Can't Nash run his pic-n-rolls in the halfcourt set after ten seconds have run off the shotclock just as he could if only five had? Sure, it limits a player like Marion, but by going small, it could allow Marion more rebounding opportunities, so he'll at least regain that value. It's not like he's much of a scoring threat vs. the Spurs anyways.

Just because they don't often, doesn't mean they can't. With Thomas they are far more likely to do so well than without. Thomas is the grind-it-out key.

He seems to have played well vs. Duncan this year. Maybe with bigger minutes, lesser rest and more responsibility on the offensive end he shrinks? Who knows... what is known is he brings aspects to Phoenix's game that they lack. I welcome it.

Even if it slows them down a bit.

MI21
05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
All the points I wanted to bring up have been covered by other posters, but I do want to say one thing; with Thomas out there, the Spurs need to go right at him, because he WILL foul. It should allow the Spurs more of a chance to get the Suns into the penalty which they hate because it slows the tempo of the game down.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Thomas can guard Tim well but in small stretches, not for the majority of the game. D'Antoni is being foolish.

Who will Thomas start in place of?

ducks
05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
get thomas in foul trouble
attack manu attack tp
attack duncan

td4mvp21
05-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm not going to worry about it, because if the Spurs are truly capable of winning a championship, they will overcome anything that Phoenix throws at them. Duncan is a HOF player and should be able to abuse Thomas; TD needs to throw some pumpfakes and get Thomas in the air. I can tell you right now that Thomas will be eager to play good defense against TD due to him starting. I still like our chances even with Thomas starting. He's not going to play the whole game and who says he will even get big minutes. It's going to be an interesting game tomorrow, but I have faith in the Spurs that they can win not only this game, but the series.

dbreiden83080
Thomas can guard Tim well but in small stretches, not for the majority of the game. D'Antoni is being foolish.

Who will Thomas start in place of?

That is what i think as well. Like Tim is not going to go in with a different plan tomorrow knowing that Thomas has had success against him. Tim will probably score on him early and often and Thomas will be on the bench quickly.

ShoogarBear
They need to go at him, but I hope they don't try to do it just by dumping it in to Tim and standing around. Thomas has shown he's pretty good at stripping the ball or forcing Tim into one of those TV remote-throwing turnovers.

Game 2 would be a nice time for Super Manu to finally make an appearance.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Any examples beyond Smallball with our personnel?

Well, if I can't count last year, howabout '01, '02, and '04?

My lasting mental image of the 2002 playoffs was one Robert Horry laughing in the press before game 4 in response to a question about why they were giving us so many problems, responding that they had just made one adjustment defensively that they were still waiting for us to adjust to.

td4mvp21
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Im guessing it will be Nash, Bell, Marion, Stoudemire and Thomas. Put Bowen on Marion and watch the disappearing act begin. Put Parker on Nash (not that Parker will stop him anyway), Elson on Stoudemire to start (I do NOT want Tim picking up quick fouls, as Stoudemire will be aggressive to start), Tim on Thomas (Not too much hard work there for Tim), and Finely on Bell.

Warlord23
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Here's the other thing. The Spurs played 10 guys in the last game, and I expect them to keep a 9-man rotation throughout the series. The Suns played 8, with James Jones logging 9 minutes. Now his minutes will probably go entirely to Kurt Thomas, meaning a 7-man rotation. D'Antoni did the same thing in 2005, with a short rotation that ended up in huge 4th quarters for the Spurs against a relatively tired Suns team.

The Suns may start well tomorrow; the Spurs have to be patient and wait for their moment.

Mitch Cumsteen
05-07-2007, 10:30 PM
But they are not. As for Thomas, reread some of the more well regarded posters here for his potential impact.

As far as slowing the pace down, the Suns scored 53 in the first half when Thomas played big minutes and 53 in the second when Thomas played just a handful.

He helps on rebounds, defense and toughness, three areas Phoenix needs.
I've been following Thomas since he led the nation and scoring and rebounding at TCU. I know exactly what he can do. And usually, it involves an injury to one of his lower extremities. Look, he's a tough player and good rebounder and a pretty good defender, but he's not going to shut down Tim Duncan for an extended period of time, especially without any help. It's just not going to happen. I don't have the breakdown of his minutes, but if you don't think that removing one of your perimeter players for him is going to slow down the game, you're nuts. It's also one more defender for the Spurs who doesn't have to extend to the three point line, which means more help on the Nash/Stoudemire pick and roll.

For my money, the Suns would be better served going even smaller against the Spurs. That's how Dallas beat 'em.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
If Thomas is going to be getting more PT out on the court, The Spurs will definitely need Manu to show up. Game 2 is gonna be rough. Hopefully KT will get into some foul trouble and have to sit most of the game.

judaspriestess
05-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Oh boy, this years "Joe Johnson"

What does someone expect D'antoni to say? Of course he is going to defend his team :rolleyes

ducks
05-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Bring It On Spurs Will Fire And Destory These Suns

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
so is this gonna turn into a series where we will live and die by tony's jump shot?

OldDirtMcGirt
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM

As long as Thomas is knocking down his jumpshot, it doesn't really hinder us offensively. He's excellent at the pick and roll and can bring the defense and rebounding.

And this is completely different between the GS/Dallas situation. Dallas was bowing down to the eighth seed before there was even one game in the books. The Suns are pretty evenly matched with the Spurs, and Thomas clearly showed his value in the first game.

slayermin
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Just because they don't often, doesn't mean they can't. With Thomas they are far more likely to do so well than without. Thomas is the grind-it-out key.

And it doesn't mean they can.

Starting Thomas limits your three point shooting. That is a huge part of your game or did you not know that. The Suns led the league in 3pt attempts, 3pt makes, and 3pt pct.

The Suns would have to make up that offense by shooting an incredible pct. in the halfcourt. Spurs halfcourt defense > Suns halfcourt offense

Mitch Cumsteen
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM

........I welcome it.

Even if it slows them down a bit.
So let's get this straight. Your team has the second best record in the league playing a very unique and particular brand of basketball. You've committed your entire organization to drafting and obtaining players who fit this brand of basketball. You destroyed your first round opponent playing this brand of basketball. And now, after a tightly contested loss at home in a game where your best player had to sit out the final crucial minute, you're willing to scrap all of this in order to grind it out with a team who is built specifically for grind it out games.

Okay. Makes perfect sense to me. Throw out the baby and bathwater.

OldDirtMcGirt
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
And it doesn't mean they can.

Starting Thomas limits your three point shooting. That is a huge part of your game or did you not know that. The Suns led the league in 3pt attempts, 3pt makes, and 3pt pct.

The Suns would have to make up that offense by shooting an incredible pct. in the halfcourt. Spurs halfcourt defense > Suns halfcourt offense

Three point shooting is hardly the key to our success. Easy points in the paint is our bread and butter, and it'll be easier to get out in transition if we have Kurt's rebouding.

timvp
05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I really hope the Spurs fans are right that this move works to the Spurs' favor. Although there are some aspects of the move that will help the Spurs, overall I think it's a great move by D'Antoni.

Oh and thanks to Stoudemire for leaking it to the press. The Spurs will be ready for it now.

I wonder if this means Bowen will move back to Marion, or will Bowen guard Nash, Finley guard Marion and Parker guard Bell.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Hopefully Nash can be benched for 45 seconds in the 4th quarter so the Suns can lose again.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
i love the bowen on nash matchup, i was surprised we didn't go to it more often

nash seem frustrated as hell with bowen on hm in that last regular season matchup

anakha
Not an unexpected move on the Suns' part.

However, despite the matchup problems this may give the Spurs offensively, I'd say this can also be seen as a good sign. Why?

Because the Spurs are forcing the Suns to adjust to them.

IMO, San Antonio was constantly scrambling to adjust to Dallas last year, because Dallas dictated the matchups. This year, it seems that the Spurs are dictating the matchups that Phoenix is forced to use against them. Because the Suns are scrambling to adjust, it makes them even more vulnerable to any other surprises the Spurs may have in store.

Besides, who's to say that Pop hasn't had this change anticipated? Thomas seems to be at his most effective defending the low post, so perhaps moving Tim to the high post for more screen/roll action or letting him get the ball more on the move instead of just posting up may negate the defensive pluses Phoenix gains by playing Thomas more. Forcing KT to move his feet more when he switches off to a guard on screen/rolls or when Tim is on the move will also make him more susceptible to fouls.

Either way, making your opponent play you on your terms is an advantage the Spurs did not have last year and should exploit to the fullest this time around.

OldDirtMcGirt
I really hope the Spurs fans are right that this move works to the Spurs' favor. Although there are some aspects of the move that will help the Spurs, overall I think it's a great move by D'Antoni.

Oh and thanks to Stoudemire for leaking it to the press. The Spurs will be ready for it now.

I wonder if this means Bowen will move back to Marion, or will Bowen guard Nash, Finley guard Marion and Parker guard Bell.

Seriously, Amare is a great player and it's a rarity to have a dominant young center... but it would be nice if he wasn't such a retard.

ducks
Hopefully Nash can be benched for 45 seconds in the 4th quarter so the Suns can lose again.
he will be benched do to a blowout in favor of spurs :drunk :drunk :drunk

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:46 PM

nash seem frustrated as hell with bowen on hm in that last regular season matchup

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
You who act as if Phoenix has much of a choice are fooling yourselves. The Suns are now 4-15 vs. San Antonio in the Nash/D'Antoni era.

I'm not saying Thomas is the savior. But him getting more minutes can only help.

Those who think the Suns won't be able to score are being rediculous. Thomas will hit enough jumpers and grab a few extra offensive rebounds to aallow for Phoenix to get enough points to compete. Gimmick ball just doesn't work when you can't get rebounds and the Suns can get enough of them to create an advantage vs. San Antonio.

That's what it comes down to.

That's why Thomas's defense and rebounding, for any added time, will be welcome.

Though, I'm less concerned about him starting as I am him playing significant minutes in the second half of games.

That's the adjustment that needs to be made.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Tim played pretty well against both Wallaces in the 05 finals on 2 bad ankles and they are both great defenders so can we stop with this whole fantasy that Thomas will give him any serious problems.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Does this mean that Amare will be benched to start the game or Kurt Thomas will take the place of some other starter?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:49 PM
i think thomas will give him problems at first, but duncan will adjust by the 2nd half

thomas will limit the suns running game, and frankly, i'm not sold on nash in a half court offense.....or rather, his teammates in a halfcourt offense

RussN
05-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Talent does come into effect. However, IMO, Defense is more about coaching, execution, and being in the right positions, something that D'Antoni could learn a thing or ten from Popovich.

They had the mic in the Suns hudle yesterday and this is how D'Antoni was coaching Dfence.....Ok guys, you've got to hustle, play hard on defense, keep playing hard, stay tough on the boards, blah blah blah. Anyone who played on a B team 7th grade basketball team could say that crap. How about coaching them on the defensive schemes or things they have practiced. Oh...maybe they haven't practiced defense. It's a little late now.

slayermin
Three point shooting is hardly the key to our success. Easy points in the paint is our bread and butter, and it'll be easier to get out in transition if we have Kurt's rebouding.

Bullshit. It's a huge part of what you do.

Why do you think Pop is so concerned about running your shooters off the 3pt line?

The Suns shot 40% from three averaging 24 attempts and almost 9 makes a game during the regular season. That is the equivalent to shooting 56% two point field goals in the same amount of shots.

You scrap your three point shooting and your high powered offense is just good.

timvp

Bowen on Nash didn't really make a difference in Game 1. I think Parker guarded Nash as well, if not better.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Tim played pretty well against both Wallaces in the 05 finals on 2 bad ankles and they are both great defenders so can we stop with this whole fantasy that Thomas will give him any serious problems.

well......games 3&4 people were already doubting his legacy b/c of how bad he was playing in detroit at that point.

had horry missed that 3 (and spurs most likely losing the series if that shot hadn't fallen), tim woulda been shat on by everybody and their mother.

FromWayDowntown
05-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Does this mean that Amare will be benched to start the game or Kurt Thomas will take the place of some other starter?

I don't think it's too hard to figure out that James Jones won't be starting tomorrow night; unless, of course, Amare is trying a turn as the Zen Master and trying to play mind games.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Bowen on Nash didn't really make a difference in Game 1. I think Parker guarded Nash as well, if not better.

but how come it worked so well int hat regular season matchup? did nash just have a bad game back then? i was hoping bowen on nash would be some new found secret in limiting the suns, but so much for that

timvp
05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I remember this time last year when AJ put Devin Harris into the starting lineup and Spurs fans said it would make no difference.

This is almost the exact same situation. Harris was effective in Game 1, much like Thomas. When given a bigger role, Harris killed the Spurs.

While I don't think this change will make quite the impact, it'd be foolish to disregard it.

Russ
05-07-2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/nba_news/sunsheart_070507.html

Suns Look for More Heart in Critical Game 2
[SIZE=1]By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer

"I hate to say this and I hope it sounds the right way. I think we have more talent than they do, "

First and foremost a coach needs to be a motivater. After a team steals Game 1 on the road they may be satisfied and need motivation.

Some motivate by design or contrivance. Some don't need tricks -- they motivate naturally by their innate feel for what to say and when.

Coach D'Antoni is one great motivater. :)

samikeyp
Disregard? no. Disagree? yes.

slayermin

If they do that, that could give the Spurs problems. They would be able to keep their three point shooters on the floor and they would have a better defender on TD.

timvp
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
but how come it worked so well int hat regular season matchup? did nash just have a bad game back then? i was hoping bowen on nash would be some new found secret in limiting the suns, but so much for that

Not sure why it worked originally. Whatever the reason was, Nash figured it out. Bowen was constantly behind him on plays when they were matched up.

Bottomline is Nash is just that good.

BradLohaus
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't think the Suns have more talent than the Spurs. Who on the Suns has all this natural ability besides Amare? Wasn't Parker basically a child basketball prodigy? Ginobili and Duncan aren't as talented as Nash, Marion, etc.? I find that hard to believe. This is D'Antoni's sad attempt at mind games. I can't believe some of you are agreeing with him.

And I'm not too worried about the Kurt Thomas adjustment. I think the pluses and minuses even out for both sides. The Suns could definitely win tomorrw night, but if they do it will be because Amare played more like he did in '05 than he did on Sunday.

timvp
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Disregard? no. Disagree? yes.

So the Suns should have kept starting James Jones?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I remember this time last year when AJ put Devin Harris into the starting lineup and Spurs fans said it would make no difference.

This is almost the exact same situation. Harris was effective in Game 1, much like Thomas. When given a bigger role, Harris killed the Spurs.

While I don't think this change will make quite the impact, it'd be foolish to disregard it.

but with thomas in the lineup doesn't this somewhat diminish the suns run and gun game?

he can hit the J, but while this improves the suns defensively, could this offensive negation help the spurs in a way?

(sorry that I always bombard you with questions timvp :lol)

FromWayDowntown
05-07-2007, 10:59 PM

The same thought occurred to me. But I think there might be a difference in that Thomas playing extended minutes isn't going to force the Spurs into doing things they haven't done all season. Harris for Griffin in Game 2 forced Nazr and Rasho off the floor and, I think, compelled Pop to go small if his team was to have any chance of staying in that series.

I see the argument that Thomas could make a big difference, but I also think that the Spurs can offer some combinations to exploit problems that will exist elsewhere. More of a Manu/Finley combination alongside Parker will force Nash to guard someone who can make a real difference offensively -- of course, it will also take Bowen off the floor and compel Manu or Finley to play Marion straight up.

I'd expect the Suns to win Game 2 anyway -- though I certainly think that the Spurs can get Game 2 -- and I'd think that Thomas will make a difference in accomplishing that goal. But I don't know that he presents the same sort of negative paradigm shift in the series that Harris did last year.

samikeyp
So the Suns should have kept starting James Jones?

Something was working for them to get this far. I am not convinced that this change will ensure a win. Then again....I thought Alfredrick Hughes was going to be an all-star. :)

OldDirtMcGirt
Bullshit. It's a huge part of what you do.

Why do you think Pop is so concerned about running your shooters off the 3pt line?

The Suns shot 40% from three averaging 24 attempts and almost 9 makes a game during the regular season. That is the equivalent to shooting 56% two point field goals in the same amount of shots.

You scrap your three point shooting and your high powered offense is just good.

Of course we can't sacrifice our three point shooting, but penetrating, getting points in the paints, and drawing fouls is more important IMO.

RonMexico
05-07-2007, 11:00 PM

Ask George Steinbrenner, The 1980 USSR Olympic Hockey Team, 1985 Georgetown Squad, the 1991 UNLV Runnin' Rebels, every Aggie squad that Fran has coached, 1969 Los Angeles Lakers, the 2004 LA Lakers... the list can go on.

This Suns team is more talented than the one in 2005, but they have yet to show how well they can play as a team. The Spurs stick to proven strategies, they have veteran players, and they possess multiple leaders out on the court. You saw that the Suns run around with their heads cut off without Nash out there and Pop even said that they won the game at the end. It's not simple coincidence that Nash goes out and Pop says that's when they won the game.

CubanMustGo
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
So CAN Thomas play extended minutes? Dude averaged like 18 mpg in the regular season, 11 in the playoffs so far ...

Findog
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Amare plays on one end of the court only, Shawn Marion bitches and whines about not getting enough respect, and what does Boris Diaw do besides eat? Nash is right, his supporting cast is just not disciplined and mature enough to overcome a championship team that knows what it has to do come nut-cutting time.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes, the Suns are (maybe) changing their strategy to adjust to the Spurs.

Before Spurs fans get too happy about that, there is very little evidence to suggest that the Suns' style can be successful in the playoffs. It's effective in the regular season, where you see it one game at a time, but in the playoffs, where you see it multiple games in a row, it's not all that hard for a well-coached team to adjust to.

I would have much preferred that D'Antoni been stubborn and said "we won this way during the regular season, we'll win this way during the playoffs, we're not going to give in to them". He would have gone down in flames.

slayermin
05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Something was working for them to get this far. I am not convinced that this change will ensure a win. Then again....I thought Alfredrick Hughes was going to be an all-star. :)

:lol

Me too. But that's because one night, he played a pickup game on the court I used to play on in Emerald Valley. He was hitting near half court shots so I thought he was a can't miss.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
well......games 3&4 people were already doubting his legacy b/c of how bad he was playing in detroit at that point.

had horry missed that 3 (and spurs most likely losing the series if that shot hadn't fallen), tim woulda been shat on by everybody and their mother.

20pts a game 14 reb a game on 2 bad ankles and finals MVP was the result. The Wallaces are ten times the defenders that Thomas is so please let's stop acting like this guy is Bill Russell.

samikeyp
Me too. But that's because one night, he played a pickup game on the court I used to play on in Emerald Valley. He was hitting near half court shots so I thought he was a can't miss.

I think we may have been in that area around the same time. I remember him and Alvin Robertson and other playing out there. One time in the middle of the summer, they left the lights on until like 2a....we played for hours then jumped over the fence into the pool. :)

T Park
Spurs are fucked....

ducks
05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Spurs are fucked....
good post now I know spurs win thanks

Trainwreck2100
05-07-2007, 11:09 PM
team usa has better players than other teams too.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:10 PM
The Spurs have been pretty successful against the Suns no matter who is in the lineup. Phoenix will play well, but I like the Spurs chances.

Russ
05-07-2007, 11:10 PM

But how would this force the Spurs to change their lineup? If it doesn't, I don't think Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas or Danny Thomas will help.

ducks
05-07-2007, 11:11 PM
The Only Think That Could Help Suns If Eva Walked On The Court And Told Tp She Wanted Sex Now!

slayermin
05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I think we may have been in that area around the same time. I remember him and Alvin Robertson and other playing out there. One time in the middle of the summer, they left the lights on until like 2a....we played for hours then jumped over the fence into the pool. :)

I think I jumped into that pool a couple of times. But yeah, we used to play until late.

Some real ballers used to play on that court some nights. You never knew who might show up.

ducks
05-07-2007, 11:13 PM
The Spurs have been pretty successful against the Suns no matter who is in the lineup. Phoenix will play well, but I like the Spurs chances.
suns have a 33.3% chance at winning tomorrow
spurs have 66.7%

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
I think I jumped into that pool a couple of times. But yeah, we used to play until late.

Some real ballers used to play on that court some nights. You never knew who might show up.

True. That was 20 years ago when I had some skills.

Oh wait...that never happened. :lol

alamo50
05-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Why would he say this?
He must came up with this to "motivate" his own guys before game 2 against the superior Spurs, but does he realy fail to see that this will get especialy Manu fired up and that he will play his best game of the post season tomorrow?

Cry Havoc
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Ask George Steinbrenner, The 1980 USSR Olympic Hockey Team, 2004 LA Lakers

HORRIBLE examples.

The Yankees are the complete opposite of the Spurs. They buy a huge number of high $ players every year without bothering to worry about chemistry.

The USSR hockey team had the best players AND the experience.

The Suns may or may not have the best players -- they certainly don't have a big game experience advantage against the Spurs.

The Lakers were a primary example of what happens when the best players (past tense) meet a solid team who matches up well against them.

An old Malone, an aging Payton, and whoever else you'd like to stick in the 5th spot does not mean you have the best players.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:19 PM
To be fair....D'Antoni needs to do something or else his tombstone will say "Those damn Spurs!"

If this works, D'Antoni suddenly becomes a genius, Suns fan will proclaim "we've got you where we want you" and timvp will enhance his reputation as a basketball prophet (see "10-10" and "no..we will still win" down 13 going into the 4th Q in the 2003 WCF). :) If the Spurs get the win.....D'Antoni may have to switch jobs with the Gorilla.

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
antoni should stfu seriously, better talent? = overrated players

everyone talkd about marion being a beast on defensive, tell me wtf has he ever shut down? the only thing ive seen from him is getting shut down from other players.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
The Only Think That Could Help Suns If Eva Walked On The Court And Told Tp She Wanted Sex Now!

"Plenty of time for that honey after the wedding, now i have to hand the Suns their asses again".

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Why would he say this?
He must came up with this to "motivate" his own guys before game 2 against the superior Spurs, but does he realy fail to see that this will get especialy Manu fired up and that he will play his best game of the post season tomorrow?

manu hasn't been fired up in weeks. i hope he does tomorrow, but i don't think this article will affect him, coupled with the fact that he probably hasn't even read it anyway

ducks

everyone talkd about marion being a beast on defensive, tell me wtf has he ever shut down? the only thing ive seen from him is getting shut down from other players.
everyone says marion is overrated
he sucks in the postseason

dbreiden83080

One could easily argue that with AI and Melo the Nuggets have more talent than we do. Spurs are the best TEAM in the NBA, PERIOD!!

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 11:22 PM
everyone says marion is overrated
he sucks in the postseason

Especially against Bowen who has made him his personal whipping boy.

SPURS vs NBA media
05-07-2007, 11:30 PM
I like the Suns more than the Spurs, but seriously, what is Mike smoking that makes him think the Suns are individually better? :lol The rest of the team depends too much on Steve.

mavs,fans :elephant :elephant :elephant

lrrr
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Suns starting Thomas is akin to the Mavs trotting out Devean George ( :lol ) in game one against the Warriors. D'Antoni is changing the identity of his team to match up with his opponent, evidence that the Spurs are in his head, like Don Nelson was in Avery's.

The Suns aren't used to this starting lineup, so it'll be an adjustment for THEM, and as if Thomas can 'shut down' Duncan, the best he will be able to do is make things a little more difficult for him, but he will still get his.

If D'Antoni thinks slowing things down (which playing Thomas morewill do) will work against the Spurs, Pop must be laughing somewhere...

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Somebody mentioned it earlier...I think Thomas will have early success on Tim but only until Tim figures him out.

RonMexico
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
HORRIBLE examples.

The Yankees are the complete opposite of the Spurs. They buy a huge number of high $ players every year without bothering to worry about chemistry.

The USSR hockey team had the best players AND the experience.

The Suns may or may not have the best players -- they certainly don't have a big game experience advantage against the Spurs.

The Lakers were a primary example of what happens when the best players (past tense) meet a solid team who matches up well against them.

An old Malone, an aging Payton, and whoever else you'd like to stick in the 5th spot does not mean you have the best players.

Exactly, the Yankees are the opposite. But to say that they haven't had the better players throughout the years when they've gotten bounced in the Playoffs is insane.

I'm saying the Suns are a better example of the Yankees because they have extremely talented players, but they're not gelling like they should... unlike the Spurs do... hence, the Spurs have the better TEAM.

Next up, that Pistons squad was the much better TEAM again... put Finley in place of Payton and you don't think he would have played better than him? It's all about will, desire, and chemistry... and chokers like Payton (until last year) and Malone didn't have that.

The USSR team is more like the Spurs, actually, in terms of their experience, but I needed to fill it up with a few more examples. Hell, I could even throw the 92-93 Fab 5 Squads on there... to make back-to-back title games as Freshmen and Sophomore and NOT win? That's an example of having more talent, but not getting the job done.

Hell, how about the Colts - everyone would highlight how much more talent they had, but they kept losing in the POs to the better coached, more finely-tuned squad of veteran players... until this year.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Jones only started the last 8 or 9 games or so.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Somebody mentioned it earlier...I think Thomas will have early success on Tim but only until Tim figures him out.

Am i the only one here that is scratching his head as to how Timmy could put up 33 and 16 in game 1 and have anyone questioning his abilities to own everyone of the Suns in game 2?

leemajors
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
i think jmarkjohns is correct here - the suns didn't have much trouble guarding duncan in the first quarter - the second half is where he really started to assert himself.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Am i the only one here that is scratching his head as to how Timmy could put up 33 and 16 in game 1 and have anyone questioning his abilities to own everyone of the Suns in game 2?

It is just like everyone saying that Duncan owned Amare, when he went for 20 points, 18 board, and 5 blocks.

I do concede that Duncan had the better game, but it's not like he had a bad game like Ginobili.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2007, 11:50 PM
It is just like everyone saying that Duncan owned Amare, when he went for 20 points, 18 board, and 5 blocks.

I do concede that Duncan had the better game, but it's not like he had a bad game like Ginobili.

Well Amare did not shoot it well from the field though. He does not have the same explosion he did in 2005 so 37 a game won't happen this time around. Amare is a great offensive player not as complete a one as Tim but still great so he will get his numbers nomatter who is guarding him.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Well Amare did not shoot it well from the field though. He does not have the same explosion he did in 2005 so 37 a game won't happen this time around. Amare is a great offensive player not as complete a one as Tim but still great so he will get his numbers nomatter who is guarding him.

I do agree with this. The Suns also don't want Amare going off for 37 in this series, unless he is scoring on fast break points, or second chance points. The Suns want to move the ball around, especially to the 3 point shooters.

Why do you think Pop has made it a huge point to stop the 3 point shooters, and make Nash a shooter? Amare is an afterthought to those two points.

slayermin
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
The lineup that would scare me is Nash, Barbosa, Bell, Marion, and Thomas. Then bring Amare off the bench.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 11:53 PM
The lineup that would scare me is Nash, Barbosa, Bell, Marion, and Thomas. Then bring Amare off the bench.

It would scare me too... :grim

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2007, 11:55 PM

The problem with Barbosa right now, is that he hasn't learned how to score without the basketball. (nobody say anything) Right now, he is like Iverson, Carmelo and Kobe where he has to have the ball in his hands to create for himself. Barbosa is not going to get the ball all the time, in lieu of the MVP, so that takes away from his effectiveness.

There is a reason why the Suns can build leads when Nash goes to the bench for his customary rests. Barbosa is free to dominate the ball.

RonMexico
05-07-2007, 11:56 PM
The lineup that would scare me is Beno, Oberto, Barry, Elson, and Bonner

That means the Suns are getting blown out.

RonMexico
05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
The problem with Barbosa right now, is that he hasn't learned how to score without the basketball. (nobody say anything) Right now, he is like Iverson, Carmelo and Kobe where he has to have the ball in his hands to create for himself. Barbosa is not going to get the ball all the time, in lieu of the MVP, so that takes away from his effectiveness.

There is a reason why the Suns can build leads when Nash goes to the bench for his customary rests. Barbosa is free to dominate the ball.

For those same reasons, Barbosa is ineffective when Nash is on the bench because he's bleeding profusely in the last 45 seconds.

slayermin
05-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Then start Jones and bring Barbosa and Stoudemire off the bench.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Then start Jones and bring Barbosa and Stoudemire off the bench.

I'd rather start Amare and bring Marion off of the bench.

Nash, Barbosa, Bell, Amare, Thomas.

When Diaw plays like he played in last year's playoffs, that is our normal starting lineup. He has struggled this year.

Nash, Bell, Diaw, Marion, and Amare.

slayermin
05-08-2007, 12:03 AM
I'd rather start Amare and bring Marion off of the bench.

Nash, Barbosa, Bell, Amare, Thomas.

You lose three point shooting at the four spot.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 12:03 AM
You lose three point shooting at the four spot.

Our 4 spot (Marion) is not a good 3 point shooter. Diaw is horrible as well. Marion, like Bowen, is only good in the corners.

Our 3 best 3 point shooters would be on the floor.

RonMexico
05-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Marion 31%

Diaw 33%

Not consistent enough... Tim Thomas was best 3pt shooting 4 we rented for the PO's last year.

slayermin
05-08-2007, 12:11 AM
The threat of Marion spotting up behind the arc opens it up for Nash in the halfcourt offense. Even though he doesn't shoot a great percentage, the Spurs must account for him. They can't just leave him wide open to shoot the three.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 12:17 AM
The threat of Marion spotting up behind the arc opens it up for Nash. Even though he doesn't shoot a great percentage, the Spurs must account for him. They can't just leave him wide open to shoot the three.

Marion staying out at the 3, is worse for the Suns. He needs to be cutting and slashing to the basket where he can get rebounds and second chance points.

slayermin
05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Marion staying out at the 3, is worse for the Suns. He needs to be cutting and slashing to the basket where he can get rebounds and second chance points.

The lineup I am suggesting would only have one big in the lineup which means it's small ball. Marion would be at the four. I agree. Marion at the three would be great for a team like the Spurs but not the Suns.

RonMexico
05-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Me at the 3... I'm Mike Vick, bitch.

Kevin Blackistone
05-08-2007, 12:32 AM
D'Antoni doesn't know what he's talking about because he's making the same mistake - equating talent for athletic ability. When will he realize that athletic ability, run and gun, and flashy offense with no substance means absolutely nothing in terms of BASKETBALL TALENT.

duncanchick21
05-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Someone give D'Antoni his Dasani!!! :lol :bang

RonMexico
05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
D'Antoni doesn't know what he's talking about because he's making the same mistake - equating talent for athletic ability. When will he realize that athletic ability, run and gun, and flashy offense with no substance means absolutely nothing in terms of BASKETBALL TALENT.

And being on Around the Horn does not make a good journalist.

Kevin Blackistone
05-08-2007, 12:43 AM
And being on Around the Horn does not make a good journalist.

Do you think D'Antoni is a great coach?

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
So the Suns start Thomas, run primarily half court sets, and the Spurs win Game 2 87-83.

RonMexico
05-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Do you think D'Antoni is a great coach?

I'm a coach killer, so I must abstain from administering such an opinion.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-08-2007, 12:57 AM

Xylus
05-08-2007, 01:01 AM
With Nash, Amare, Marion, and Bell all starting, I don't think the game is automatically slow way down just because Thomas is in. The game'll slow down only if the Spurs impose their will, otherwise Nash will keep the tempo going.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:01 AM
The problem is that the Suns built that team around Nash, primarily for the open court. You need more than 'oh, we'll just slow it down and play Thomas more in the playoffs.'

AnkleBreaker21
05-08-2007, 01:04 AM
330 post a day, got damn marcus bryant. is this all u do all fuckin day:lol

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:05 AM
330 post a day, got damn marcus bryant. is this all u do all fuckin day:lol

Only on Sundays.

AnkleBreaker21
05-08-2007, 01:06 AM
:lol:lol

dbreiden83080
05-08-2007, 01:06 AM
With Nash, Amare, Marion, and Bell all starting, I don't think the game is automatically slow way down just because Thomas is in. The game'll slow down only if the Spurs impose their will, otherwise Nash will keep the tempo going.

Suns will lose this series in 5 maybe a sweep if they do not play fast. Spurs are the best half court team in the NBA and the Suns are no match for them if they play they them slow.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
:lol

heh, this may surprise you but I think all Spurs fans will be happy if Manu starts playing well to help us win games.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Suns will lose this series in 5 maybe a sweep if they do not play fast. Spurs are the best half court team in the NBA and the Suns are no match for them if they play they them slow.

Suns' transition D is horrid. They expect to push the rock and attack the rim quickly yet somehow manage to get back and set up their half court D with Thomas on TD. Rather unlikely. This is why frauds like the Suns, Nuggets, et al garner regular season hype yet are dismissed again and again from the postseason with nothing to show for it.

T Park
05-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Only on Sundays

nice thank you for smoking reference

Kobulingam
05-08-2007, 01:18 AM

90% sure it's a sweep for Spurs

8% Spurs in 5

2% Spurs in 6 or 7

Xylus
05-08-2007, 01:50 AM
D'Antoni, listen up. This is what you need to do defensively...

Parker is clearly in more of a rhythm right now than Ginobili is, so take Bell off of Manu and put him on Tony. Bell is a complete pest and may actually frustrate Tony, or at the very least, keep him from shooting 14-22 from the field. Marion is a good on-the-ball defender, but he's not as good of an off-the-ball defender as Bell is, and Marion simply isn't fast enough to keep up with Tony. You're starting Kurt Thomas, which is good. That's a step in the right direction.

Nash --> Bowen
Bell --> Parker
Marion --> Finley/Ginobili
Amare --> Elson
Thomas --> Duncan

The Spurs clearly present a shitload of matchup problems for us. If you put Bell on Parker and Marion on Finley/Ginobili, we might actually stand a better chance.