PDA

View Full Version : Has the East ever sucked more?

ShoogarBear
05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Seriously, Detroit is destroying the Bulls, who swept Miami, and those are probably the best three teams in the East.

Unless Chicago comes up big at home, Detroit may not break a sweat until game one of the Finals.

Pistons < Spurs
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I expect the Bulls to win at least 1 of their home games. They're a much better team @ home this year.

FearDaFro
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
The question you need to ask is, has Detroit ever been better?

kingsfan
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Unless Chicago comes up big at home, Detroit may not break a sweat until game one of the Finals.They'll definitely be sweating when the Suns make them run:reading

resistanze
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
The East is just taking it easy after MJ's departure :smokin

Marklar MM
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
The East is just taking it easy after MJ's departure :smokin

The East is waiting for MJ to un-retire again.

JamStone
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
The Pistons basically blew out Cleveland in the first two games last year in the second round. That went 7 games. In 2004, they blew out the Nets in the second round. That series went 7 games. I'm going to wait to see how game 3 turns out before assessing this series. Right now, the Bulls look very young and inexperienced and a little over their heads. That can change quickly when they're in front of their home crowd.

jmard5
05-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Yup, Detroit is the best team out there in the east. The rest are just audience.

alamo50
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Damn, the East sucks badly!

ducks
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
The Pistons basically blew out Cleveland in the first two games last year in the second round. That went 7 games. In 2004, they blew out the Nets in the second round. That series went 7 games. I'm going to wait to see how game 3 turns out before assessing this series. Right now, the Bulls look very young and inexperienced and a little over their heads. That can change quickly when they're in front of their home crowd.
the problem is scot skiles has went public and said pistons are a bad matchup for us
IDIOT

mabber
05-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Pistons/Suns would be a decent finals. I'd enjoy that contrast in styles.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-07-2007, 11:36 PM
If and I say If we come out of the Least I want the Spurs.

mabber
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
If and I say If we come out of the Least I want the Spurs.

What's microwave up to these days? Does he live in Detroit?

bdubya
05-07-2007, 11:54 PM

'05 finals, games 1-4.

ponky
05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
when's the last time a team swept their way all the way to the finals? i could possibly see this happening with the pistons (TO the finals, not IN the finals) but i think the bulls may take one....maybe, they look like ca-ca right now...the pistons could be one very fresh team come finals time

Lp26
05-08-2007, 01:08 AM

I agree. The road games for the Pistons in this series will be telling.

Bob Lanier
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
What's microwave up to these days? Does he live in Detroit?
In the area, yes.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 01:11 AM
I seriously thought they were getting more competitive ...

It's just sad how much parity there is between conferences.

cornbread
05-08-2007, 01:23 AM

So did I. Earlier in the season I thought the Bulls had a legit chance at making to the Finals. But with the Pistons beasting the way they are now, I don't think any team over than touch 'em.

jacobdrj
05-08-2007, 03:00 AM
The series is by no means over, but DAYUM! They opened up a can of whoopazz...

Funny thing is, now that the Pistons don't have to play Shaq in the playoffs without Ben, the door to the finals seems as wide open as can be for them. The Pistons are one of only a few teams in the East that play a balance of western and eastern conference styles.

Bulls are in trouble when Ben Wallace either equals or outscores Ben Gordon, ever...

How much are the Bulls mulling over that Pau Gasol non trade right now? It is kind of exactly what they need. I agree that giving up Deng or Kirk might have been a little excessive, but I think they could have found a way to get it done...

florige
05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Seriously, Detroit is destroying the Bulls, who swept Miami, and those are probably the best three teams in the East.

Unless Chicago comes up big at home, Detroit may not break a sweat until game one of the Finals.

I've got the Pistons destroying either Cleveland. For some reason I think they may have a little more trouble with NJ due to the fact that Kidd is big enough to at least stay with Billups. I still think they make it out of the east fairly easily. They seem to be clicking on all cylinders now. Won't be an easy out for any west team.

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 09:13 AM
The question is:

Is Detroit that good?

Or,

Was Miami that bad?

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 09:14 AM

It's just sad how much parity there is between conferences.

You mean, how little parity there is between conferences.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM
You mean, how little parity there is between conferences.
Sorry, my bad.
That's an insult to the Western Conference.:lol
(Thanks, I probably was intending to use disparity at the time but stopped myself mid-sentence using the positive sense of the word)

But yeah, I think the Heat had one great immediate Contender/Championship team, with veterans, wade, and shaq, etc. last year.

And then, there were the Pistons who peaked too soon. Obviously Pistons are still a complete team.

But NJ sucks. Lebron's team sucks. Arenas' team sucks. And the Bulls blew the opportunity to fill their hole at the 4 spot.

Sure there are a lot more stars in the East, but beyond that, it's more of a management thing in the East. Only Dumars has gotten it right.

And I guess Pat Riley got some results by getting the fat man. But other than that, the East still hasn't gotten out of its funk since Jordan left it. :lol

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
It almost seems unfair. Detroit is coasting in the East and all the teams in the West are having major battles (well, all teams except Golden State and Phoenix in their 1st rounds).

baseline bum
05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
when's the last time a team swept their way all the way to the finals? i could possibly see this happening with the pistons (TO the finals, not IN the finals) but i think the bulls may take one....maybe, they look like ca-ca right now...the pistons could be one very fresh team come finals time

The 2001 and the 1989 Lakers are the only teams that I know of to do it, with LA going 4-1 in the 2001 Finals and 0-4 in 1989 Finals.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
It almost seems unfair. Detroit is coasting in the East and all the teams in the West are having major battles (well, all teams except Golden State and Phoenix in their 1st rounds).
It's definitely unfair to Sports fans as well.

Half the games are snoozers.

I actually think last year's Eastern Playoffs were just as interesting. With Wade killing (and Lebron threatening to kill the Pistons.)

Now Lebron's team is still a bit shitty, I mean, does Lebron really deserve to get to the Finals so soon, by a fluke chance, if the Pistons weren't back to their determined selves? Pistons road to the Finals, will be a shell shock even :lol

Though I doubt it, since they can hang on either coast. But still, I hate that the West has teams battling it out in the second round, that could very well be both match ups on a Finals stage level.

ShoogarBear
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Sucky sucky suck.

ploto
05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Only one team from the East makes it to the Finals, so who cares how bad the rest are. Didn't we hear the exact same thing the last time Detroit won the title.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Sucky sucky suck.

As the number 1 seed in the west got outed in the first round
:lol

ShoogarBear
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
The number 8 seed in the West is head and shoulders above the number 3 seed in the East.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2007, 12:23 AM
The number 8 seed in the West is head and shoulders above the number 3 seed in the East.

Okay but lets see if the west can win the whole thing.

SpurForLife
05-11-2007, 06:02 AM
As the number 1 seed in the west got outed in the first round
:lol

Just shows how strong the west is over the east. Certainly wouldn't see Orlando doing the same to Detroit. Of course come finals only one East team plays a West team so anything can happen.

Testing
05-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm just very surprised. I knew the Heat weren't going to go far, but the Bulls are a mystery to me.

Throughout the regular season and the first round, I seriously had them ranked as #1...thinking they had a legit chance to take the Pistons to 7 games and even get to the Finals. They are looking incredibily bad out there last 3 games while the Pistons are looking completely separate from everyone in the East. Even the Cavs aren't looking impressive to me considering they're playing a Nets team that basically has 3 scorers, they should be dominating them.

Are the Pistons that good or is the rest of the east just that bad? That's the real question...

Spurminator
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I've never been all that impressed with the Bulls to begin with... I've never trusted their ability to score consistently. I think their sweep of Miami says more about Miami than Chicago.

But I do think Detroit is playing at as high a level as anyone in the Playoffs right now, East or no East.

Amare_32
05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I wonder if any team in the East would pull the trigger on a major trade this summer. The East playoffs have been as fun as a root canal. Miami is a team to watch this summer. I wonder if they can find a way to rid themselves of Walker and Jason Williams.

JamStone
05-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Just shows how strong the west is over the east. Certainly wouldn't see Orlando doing the same to Detroit. Of course come finals only one East team plays a West team so anything can happen.

No, but had Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler been playing, would you have been surprised if #7 seed Washingont beaten #2 Cleveland?

EastsBeasts
05-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Another thing the 8th seed for the west is misleading. If the Warriors never made the trade with the Pacers theres no way the Warriors would have even made the playoffs. So your whole theory as 8th seed superiority in the West is a wash.

Washington for the east had 2 of their best players out for the series, another wash.

Its all good though, keep talking shit about the east and we'll have a repeat of 2004. Pistons in 5 v.s whoever comes out of the West.
Then after that happens the west fans will find some excuse to tarnish a Piston's championship.
I don't think the Piston's will sweep the Cavs only because of Lebron rules where he's allowed to drive to the basket and push off with his forearm on every possession. That warrants at least 1 if not 2 bs wins.

SpurForLife
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Another thing the 8th seed for the west is misleading. If the Warriors never made the trade with the Pacers theres no way the Warriors would have even made the playoffs. So your whole theory as 8th seed superiority in the West is a wash.

Washington for the east had 2 of their best players out for the series, another wash.

Its all good though, keep talking shit about the east and we'll have a repeat of 2004. Pistons in 5 v.s whoever comes out of the West.
Then after that happens the west fans will find some excuse to tarnish a Piston's championship.
I don't think the Piston's will sweep the Cavs only because of Lebron rules where he's allowed to drive to the basket and push off with his forearm on every possession. That warrants at least 1 if not 2 bs wins.

You're smoking some good crack if you really think that.

To answer Jamstone while I don't think Cleveland is that great of a team I do believe they still would have beaten the Wiz because the Wiz don't play any defense whatsoever even though that series would not have been a sweep. I think the argument some on this board are making is that the west has more quality teams than the east and why mid-tier teams in the west could challenge for a top seed in the east. But come finals time its just one west team vs. one east where either team can win as shown by the east the last few seasons.

bdubya
05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Has the East ever sucked more?

I should think so. There were a coupla years there we sent the Nets to the Finals.

'Nuff said.

JamStone
05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Yep, 2002-03 was particularly bad for the Eastern Conference. Only one 50 win team, Detroit, and they didn't even go to the NBA Finals. Nets went to the Finals winning only 49 regular season games.

JamStone
05-11-2007, 03:33 PM
You're smoking some good crack if you really think that.

To answer Jamstone while I don't think Cleveland is that great of a team I do believe they still would have beaten the Wiz because the Wiz don't play any defense whatsoever even though that series would not have been a sweep. I think the argument some on this board are making is that the west has more quality teams than the east and why mid-tier teams in the west could challenge for a top seed in the east. But come finals time its just one west team vs. one east where either team can win as shown by the east the last few seasons.

Is that the same Cleveland Cavaliers team that beat the San Antonio Spurs twice this year? Yeah, not that great at all. :rolleyes

The Western Conference is obviously deeper and has overall better quality teams. But, that doesn't mean the better teams in the conference can't compete with the Western Conference elite teams. Detroit was the only team in the NBA that beat both the Mavericks in Dallas AND the Suns in Phoenix. And, if Miami were healthy, I'm sure they would be in the mix and could compete with any team in the West.

So, sure, granted the West is deeper and has better quality top to bottom. But, if the Eastern Conference wins the NBA title again, that would be three out of the last four years. And, who cares which conference is stronger if the team that ultimately wins is in the "weaker" conference? Who cares if Dallas has the best regular season record, if it doesn't win a title?

Who cares which conference is stronger anyway? It's each team for itself. The NBA title isn't determined by the Western Conference all stars and the Eastern Conference all stars.

SpurForLife
05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Is that the same Cleveland Cavaliers team that beat the San Antonio Spurs twice this year? Yeah, not that great at all. :rolleyes The Western Conference is obviously deeper and has overall better quality teams. But, that doesn't mean the better teams in the conference can't compete with the Western Conference elite teams. Detroit was the only team in the NBA that beat both the Mavericks in Dallas AND the Suns in Phoenix. And, if Miami were healthy, I'm sure they would be in the mix and could compete with any team in the West.

So, sure, granted the West is deeper and has better quality top to bottom. But, if the Eastern Conference wins the NBA title again, that would be three out of the last four years. And, who cares which conference is stronger if the team that ultimately wins is in the "weaker" conference? Who cares if Dallas has the best regular season record, if it doesn't win a title?

Who cares which conference is stronger anyway? It's each team for itself. The NBA title isn't determined by the Western Conference all stars and the Eastern Conference all stars.

Big Whoop de Freakin Doo if they swept us, hell so did Milwaukee. They still aren't that great to me. Detroit for this year and the past few seasons have been in a league of their own and they along with a healthy Miami were the only two teams that I could see winning a title out of the east.

Who cares whose league is stronger you say. My point exactly which is why I stated that come finals time only one east team faces off with one west team in a winner take all scenario.

ShoogarBear
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
How Detroit does in the Finals has absolutely zero relationship to the fact that no other team in the East at this point looks like they even deserved to be in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
It's gotta suck to be Detroit. They played so well last year and then let off the gas at the wrong time. Now it looks like they are playing well at the right time of the year and they're going to end up with WAY too much rest just when they've got it together.

loveThe23
05-11-2007, 09:57 PM
payback's a bitch this year ain't it. :stirpot:

Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2007, 10:09 PM
It's gotta suck to be Detroit. They played so well last year and then let off the gas at the wrong time. Now it looks like they are playing well at the right time of the year and they're going to end up with WAY too much rest just when they've got it together.

Detroit was banged up last year they let the cavs take them seven and sheed got hurt. I would much rather sweep on through and have rest then have a dog fight with the Suns then go up and have to play this GS team.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Detroit was banged up last year they let the cavs take them seven and sheed got hurt. I would much rather sweep on through and have rest then have a dog fight with the Suns then go up and have to play this GS team.
I completely disagree. The Pistons had nothing to play for at the end of the season and did the exact same thing Dallas did two weeks ago, which is exactly why they allowed the series to go seven games. They somehow managed to escape the choker labels that they probably deserved to a certain extent.

I'm not saying they should tank games to extend the series; closing out the opponent as quickly as possible is a good thing, but the Pistons absolutely have to prove they can get their momentum back after a long layoff, and only a fool would think it's just a given that they are going to be able to turn it on at will once they steamroll through the east. I'm rooting for the Pistons, but it's a legitimate question that they have to answer this year.

I'm being respectful to you because you have the incredible good taste to honor a Baylor Bear.

ShoogarBear
05-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Tell you what, if Flip Saunders can't get this team to the Finals through that field, he needs to never be allowed near an NBA team again.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I completely disagree. The Pistons had nothing to play for at the end of the season and did the exact same thing Dallas did two weeks ago, which is exactly why they allowed the series to go seven games. They somehow managed to escape the choker labels that they probably deserved to a certain extent. The Pistons absolutely have to prove they can get their momentum back after a long layoff, and only a fool would think it's just a given that they are going to be able to turn it on at will once they steamroll through the east. I'm rooting for the Pistons, but it's a legitimate question that they have to answer this year.

I'm being respectful to you because you have the incredible good taste to honor a Baylor Bear.

My point is that the longer and more games you play the higher the risk of injury or something bad to happen. The Pistons had like 7 days off and came out in game 1 and shot lights out and played great. I know they will not sweep their way trough the whole east. That being said I sure hope we get to play the spurs in the finals if we both can get there. I want to play and try to beat the best team in the West.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 10:28 PM
My point is that the longer and more games you play the higher the risk of injury or something bad to happen. The Pistons had like 7 days off and came out in game 1 and shot lights out and played great. I know they will not sweep their way trough the whole east. That being said I sure hope we get to play the spurs in the finals if we both can get there. I want to play and try to beat the best team in the West.
I agree that you don't want any series to go longer than possible. That won't be a problem for now because the Pistons are playing great. You have to admit that you wondered about them when they were getting blown out in the first half of game 3 though, right? I think the only thing keeping them from going fo fo fo through the east is that they are bound to take a game off at some point. Might actually be good for them if, like you said, nobody gets hurt as a result.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I agree that you don't want any series to go longer than possible. That won't be a problem for now because the Pistons are playing great. You have to admit that you wondered about them when they were getting blown out in the first half of game 3 though, right? I think the only thing keeping them from going fo fo fo through the east is that they are bound to take a game off at some point. Might actually be good for them if, like you said, nobody gets hurt as a result.

I agree I didn't know for sure they would win last night but knew they would not quit. When sheed hit the three I knew it was over. I think when you have a long layoff it can hurt you in the first game. SA and Detroit are so battle tested I don't think it's a bad thing to have rest.