PDA

View Full Version : Should Horry's jersey Be retired?

tru2ou
05-07-2007, 10:17 PM
If the Spurs win the title this year it will be Horry's 7th ring which would be more than Jordan, Pippen, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Shaq, Kobe etc. Although he was drafted by the Rockets (2 rings), he was traded more than a decade ago and won't be recognized there, He probably won't get the recognition in L.A. (3 rings) either. Which brings up the Spurs. Although this is only his fourth season with the Spurs has he done enough to get his Jersey hung in the rafters along with Robinson's (2 rings), Elliot's (1 Ring), Gervin's (0 rings), Moore's (0 rings), and James Silas (0 rings). Now I have been a Spurs fan since their ABA days and believe these were all great players (Although I am partial to Gervin as the greatest Spur of all). But if Horry gets his 2nd with the Spurs his accomplishments should be recognized by one of the aforementioned teams. Should it be the Spurs that hangs his jersey or does he deserve to have his jersey retired at all? He has been a major contributor to every title his teams has won thus warranting the name Big shot Rob. :toast

BradLohaus
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I never thought about the fact that Horry's number almost certainly won't be retired by any of the other teams he's played for. It's really up to us. I think you've got 4 guaranteed numbers that will be retired from this crop of Spurs: Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Bowen. AJ will get his up before Horry does. So Horry's at best in 6th position. If Horry wins another one with us I say what the hell; put it up there. How many dynasties will pass through town, and I'd be proud to be the team that retired Big shot Bob's number.

SilverPlayer
05-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I say leave it up to him...The spurs should at least offer him the honor, but mainly as a formality. The Rockets or LA rafters should be where his number hangs.

Edit- If they happen to snub him, than he's always welcome to hang his jersey on our rafters.

LakerLanny
05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Elliott, Moore and Silas?

My God, if the Lakers did that we would be retiring the numbers of Kurt Rambis and Happy Hairston.

Sack up San Antonio, that is downright embarrassing.

BradLohaus
05-07-2007, 10:59 PM
^You know we haven't been around since the 40's, right?

missmyzte
05-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Y'all know I'm the biggest Horry fan around but no, his jersey shouldn't be retired. If anyone were to retire his jersey, it should have been LA, but the Lakers won't. He'll go into the HOF as a Spur though, in my opinion.

Purple & Gold
05-07-2007, 11:06 PM
The Lakers won't even retire his number.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
The Lakers won't even retire his number.

They should on that shot against Sacramento alone. :)

alamo50
05-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I hope Houston will retire his jersey.

missmyzte
05-07-2007, 11:11 PM
You'd think, but they gave his number to a guy with the nickname of "Tierr-able" and then a rookie. It's not getting retired.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Isn't hanging in the rafters at Casa De Misti though?

That is all that matters! :)

King
05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
If you do that, you diminish the honor. He doesn't deserve it. With San Antonio, or with any other team.

T-Pain
05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
i think if the spurs does win another one, i think we should retire his jersey. i wouldnt mind if other teams retire his number too along with us, just like charles barkley

King
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Y'all know I'm the biggest Horry fan around but no, his jersey shouldn't be retired. If anyone were to retire his jersey, it should have been LA, but the Lakers won't. He'll go into the HOF as a Spur though, in my opinion.

Do players even go into the NBA hall of fame with a team? I was virtually certain that they didn't. I thought only baseball did that. They'll list the teams, but they won't 'go in as a player of....'

And honestly, Robert Horry is not a hall of famer. Nowhere near it.

missmyzte
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Isn't hanging in the rafters at Casa De Misti though?

That is all that matters! :)
Yes it is, 15 times over. Well, not exactly hanging in the rafters, but does the closet count?

timvp
05-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't think Horry gets his number retired by any team, nor do I think he makes the Hall of Fame.

He'll just go down as a top five clutch shooter of all-time. Not a bad consolation prize.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Probably, but by the Lakers...

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Yes it is, 15 times over. Well, not exactly hanging in the rafters, but does the closet count?

Yes it does! :tu

jcrod
05-07-2007, 11:22 PM
No, why just for some clutch shots. I think you need to do more than that.

samikeyp
05-07-2007, 11:25 PM
To paraphrase "Coming to America"...

"Robert Horry 137 years old!" :)

Mr. Black
05-07-2007, 11:32 PM
I think his number should be retired as a Rocket. Unless we win another c-ship...then its up for grabs.

Purple & Gold
05-08-2007, 12:39 AM
That was a damn nice shot. :clap :clap

conqueso
05-08-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't think Horry gets his number retired by any team, nor do I think he makes the Hall of Fame.

He'll just go down as a top five clutch shooter of all-time. Not a bad consolation prize.

I agree, and it's for the same reason that Bowen won't ever sniff the Hall of Fame, and it makes me pissed.

Just because a player doesn't have stellar statistical numbers in one category or another does NOT mean they aren't ESSENTIAL to a team's success, or that they aren't great players in their own right.

The only reason people don't want to induct them into the HOF is because you can't put their stats on a plaque and have visitors say, "Wow, that guy was good."

But from an equitable standpoint, both Horry and Bowen deserve spots in the Hall of Fame because they were some of the best of all time in areas for which statistics are not kept. How do you quantify "clutch plays"? Or "lock down defense"? It shouldn't matter, but it does, and that's sad.

jcrod
05-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I agree, and it's for the same reason that Bowen won't ever sniff the Hall of Fame, and it makes me pissed.

Just because a player doesn't have stellar statistical numbers in one category or another does NOT mean they aren't ESSENTIAL to a team's success, or that they aren't great players in their own right.

The only reason people don't want to induct them into the HOF is because you can't put their stats on a plaque and have visitors say, "Wow, that guy was good."

But from an equitable standpoint, both Horry and Bowen deserve spots in the Hall of Fame because they were some of the best of all time in areas for which statistics are not kept. How do you quantify "clutch plays"? Or "lock down defense"? It shouldn't matter, but it does, and that's sad.

Totally disagree, you can't be just good in one area and get in. You need to be a great player and all around player.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Another performance like Game 5 of the 05 Finals and you can paint #5 on the top of the at&t.

BradLohaus
05-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Another performance like Game 5 of the 05 Finals and you can paint #5 on the top of the at&t.

I think that's why you have to seriously think about it. What a performance that was. He misses ANY of those shots and we lose the title. He totally bailed Duncan out in his worst clutch playoff performance ever. Horry was the go to guy in that game. I know it's one part of one game, but that performance equals one title. At least worth considering

T Park
05-08-2007, 01:20 AM
He totally bailed Duncan out in his worst clutch playoff performance ever

30 points 20 rebounds

yeah Duncan sucked ass.

If Horry is a significant part of another title run? You seriously consider it.

Saying that, it should be the Lakers that retire it.

SilverPlayer
05-08-2007, 01:26 AM
One of his teams should really hang his number up in the rafters, and if Houston and LA drop the ball, we should be there to do it. I don't really care where his number is hanging so long as it is up somewhere.

There will never be another Robert Horry. Ever. If you can say that about a guy, he should be commemorated in some fashion.

Hall of fame. Retired Jersey. Anything. Robert Horry has had too much impact on the game. 6 rings all of which he had a huge role in obtaining.

Coaches can be fired for leaving Robert Horry open in a playoff game. He's a fucking legend, and deserves some recognition for it.

toosmallshoes
05-08-2007, 01:39 AM
No, why just for some clutch shots. I think you need to do more than that.

So, if you are responsible for earning three different teams six and possibly seven nba championships you don't deserve to make the Hall of Fame? So someone with more rings than Jordan shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame? Would you rather have an NBA scoring champ (Gervin, Iverson, Anthony) on your team, or would you rather have someone with a ton of rings and very small cred (Horry, Sam Jones....) wait... You know the funny thing is I can't think of another player who has won so many championships without having been an all-star. Horry is THE BEST ROLE PLAYER OF ALL TIME! If you don't think Horry belongs in the HOF, my best guess is that you have a very small penis. Horry's penis is probably longer than your shinbone.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Sometimes I think fans take this shit a bit too seriously. Horry obviously has had a major impact on the game and has been a regular force in the postseason.

Anyways, look at who they let into the Hall of Fame these days...

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/bhof-joan-crawford.html

Surely there is a spot in Springfield for Big Shot Rob.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:47 AM
http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/bhof-calvin-murphy.html

Of course Horry will make the Hall.

toosmallshoes
05-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Totally disagree, you can't be just good in one area and get in. You need to be a great player and all around player.

Howzabout great defense, clutch shooting and clutch leadership.
They should make up a "clutch" categroy and Horry will be up there along with Kobe, and Jordan, and Larry Bird, and Jerry West, and whoever else. Maybe they should make a "Biggest SacK" category. Horry... inducted into the NBA HOF as possesser of the biggest sack.

toosmallshoes
05-08-2007, 01:54 AM

Horry wins championships. Calvin Murphy made some free throws and was a horrible television color commentator. hmmm......

jcrod
05-08-2007, 02:06 AM
So, if you are responsible for earning three different teams six and possibly seven nba championships you don't deserve to make the Hall of Fame? So someone with more rings than Jordan shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame? Would you rather have an NBA scoring champ (Gervin, Iverson, Anthony) on your team, or would you rather have someone with a ton of rings and very small cred (Horry, Sam Jones....) wait... You know the funny thing is I can't think of another player who has won so many championships without having been an all-star. Horry is THE BEST ROLE PLAYER OF ALL TIME! If you don't think Horry belongs in the HOF, my best guess is that you have a very small penis. Horry's penis is probably longer than your shinbone.

Dude, was smart and played a role on GREAT teams with GREAT Players (Hakeem, Drexler, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan). He was not the reason they won. He just made timely shots. NOT even close to the same thing, Horry does nothing great or good. Clutch yes, but thats about it. No way he deserves to have is shirt hung, none the less be in the HOF.

whottt
05-08-2007, 02:14 AM
I think Horry already belongs in the HOF...the jersey is different...he's not really considered a career or franchise player for any of the teams he's played for...so I can kinda see why none of them would retire his jersey...even though it seems kind of odd.

Anyway...he's definitely a HOF'er...I think he's nearing the point now where he's not just a top 5 clutch shooter either...he's arguably the clutchest shooter of them all, at least when it comes to big shots in the playoffs. He does other stuff besides shots too...Horry is unusual because he's not a SuperStar, at the same time, he is one hell of a championship role player, and a case could be made that none of his teams win championships without him...maybe the first Rocket title or the first of the Shaq Kobe titles, he wsn't th at big of a help...but all the others he won, he was definitely a factor.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Dude, was smart and played a role on GREAT teams with GREAT Players (Hakeem, Drexler, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan). He was not the reason they won. He just made timely shots. NOT even close to the same thing, Horry does nothing great or good. Clutch yes, but thats about it. No way he deserves to have is shirt hung, none the less be in the HOF.
it's not like he just stands in the right spot at the right time. He comes alive in the playoffs. How many hustle plays has this guy done to turn the ball in the favor of his team? He has a basketball IQ off the charts, and has made key steals and taken key offensive charges. It's not even about him riding the coattails of great players. He plays right there with them, when he's determined to win a 'ship.

Like another poster has said, this guy is UNIQUE, and there'll never be a Robert Horry. There's been so many times where I've seen him give his championship teams their playoff edge. Not just in a clutch three, but in critical plays, intangibles, and decisions. "Horry againnn...." They just never show up on the boxcore.

Strike
05-08-2007, 02:52 AM
The thing I like about Horry is not only does he really not care about the regular season, but that his teammates and the league as a whole knows it too. That's just freaking awesome.

Even Timmy said it after game 5 in 05 when Bob made that shot in Detroit (Thanks Rasheed for that great defensive blunder, by the way). I don't remember his exact words but he so much as said Horry doesn't really care about playing the season, he doesn't really want to be there, but come playoff time he brings it every year.

Granted, his last couple of playoff runs with LA were not good (thankfully for the Spurs in 03!) but no one is perfect all the time.

I think he belongs in the hall after he retires. And I would be proud to see his name and the number 5 hanging the rafters with David, George, Johnny, James and Sean.

Aud21946
05-08-2007, 04:01 AM
IMO, Horry is one of the best clutch 3 point shooters of all - time but a HOF ... NO WAY!

As of March 2007, Horry averages 7.2 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.

That is not a HOF Numbers.

J.T.
05-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Didn't Horry say that if he could scrap his whole career...all the clutch shots and rings...he would be a superstar player with no rings rather than a role player with six? I seem to remember him saying that on ESPN or something after we won '05.

IMO, he's a lock for HOF. BBall HOF is so easy to crack, and Horry has a nice resume. His clutch shots are what he's famous for but he's made solid contributions on defense as well, at least from what I have seen from the time he's been with us and a little on LA. His Game 5 performance was legendary...without Horry we would have lost that game and the series. He was a huge key to one of our championships, but I just don't see him getting his jersey retired here. It deserves to be retired after a career like his, but the fact that he's played for three teams and was successfull with all of them, makes it hard to say where his number should be hanging in the end.

Maybe Houston can retire 25 and we can retire 5. But I think if his number is retired anywhere, it will be here.

J.T.
05-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Horry probably scores 25, 3 of those being a game winning triple, in Game 2, just because of all the doubters saying he's not HOF material.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 07:05 AM
As long as it isnt with LA and with either Houston or SA im good with that. It will still be some time from now though.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 07:31 AM
The guy deserves it.He is a winner and made the spurs win another ring.

Borosai
05-08-2007, 07:48 AM
I can see Horry in the HOF, and I believe he deserves the honor and recognition for a great career... a career that didn't consist of riding coattails to 6 (possibly 7) titles. He earned them.

I don't feel his number will be retired by the Spurs. He's not a franchise player in SA, and hasn't played long enough with the Spurs (even if he does get his 7th).

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Here's an idea: why not put up a "ring of honor" in the SBC Center, similar to the Cowboys? You could add Horry, Elie, Malik Rose, and others who were so critical to our various championship runs, and save the jerseys for the "Hall of Fame" types.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
^^^ I like that!

Phenomanul
05-08-2007, 08:35 AM

Game 5 vs Detroit was not just a timely shot it was an entire 4th quarter barage of threes an amazing dunk, a timely block, critical rebounds not to mention the dagger in OT.

It was a clutch performance only the best could ever dream of having. Horry came through. He knows when he is needed and steps up to the plate repeatedly.

Horry already belongs in the HOF despite whatever he may do this post-season.

Darkwaters
05-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I think his number should be retired as a Rocket. Unless we win another c-ship...then its up for grabs.

Which players' jerseys have the Rockets retired already?

Mixability
05-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Rob is CLUTCH, but to have his # retired? Where are those old threads calling for Avery's # to be retired..... :rolleyes

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
What about Malik?? I wish he would come back and retire a spur.

PlaneFast
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Interesting note about Kerr and Horry:

Steve Kerr and Robert Horry alternated NBA Championships for a decade, and combined to win 11 championships over a twelve-year period. Either Kerr or Horry was on the roster of every NBA Championship team from the 1993-94 season through the 2002-03 season. Kerr's teams were winners in the NBA Finals in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2003. Horry's teams were victorious in the NBA Finals in 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2005. Each won 3 titles playing for Phil Jackson-coached teams (the Lakers and Bulls), and every other championship with a team from Texas (the Spurs and Rockets).
---
Kerr is also the only non-Celtic to win 4 consecutive championships. Does he deserve to be in the hall of fame? I think he'll make it based on 5 championships and his broadcasting career. His jersey won't be retired though, despite being a major part of 3 Bulls championships.

Horry will get into the Hall of Fame for winning 6-7 championships. But he too won't get his jersey retired by anyone except maybe the Spurs, who seem to retire jersey's like giving gold stars.

baseline bum
05-08-2007, 10:21 AM

How in the fuck did Calvin Murphy make the Hall of Fame? He was an all-star once.

How can freaking Calvin Murphy and his 4.4 assist per game average in a 120-ppg era be in there over a far better point such as Kevin Johnson? KJ's career average is 18 and 9, and he had a season of 22.5 and 11.4 and another of 20 and 12.

Man of Steel
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Hell yes we should retire his number, regardless if other teams do so as well.

Without Horry's big shot against the Pistons, the Spurs would be battling for its third trophy this year instead of its fourth!

Mitch Cumsteen
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
We should only retire #5 for Horry if they do it in a co-ceremony to honor Billy Paultz. All hail the Whopper!!!

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
We should only retire #5 for Horry if they do it in a co-ceremony to honor Billy Paultz. All hail the Whopper!!!

Hell yes! :tu

MoSpur
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I would not mind the Spurs retiring Horry's jersey if he helps the Spurs win another championship. W/out him, the Spurs don't win the whole thing in 2005.

He was very important to the Rockets and Lakers when they won the championship. He was obviously important to the Spurs in '05 and has been very important to the Spurs so far in '07. If the guy wins another ring, he has to be considered as a Hall of Famer. The guy would have more rings than Michael Jordan. He doesn't come close to Jordan when it comes to stats, but its not like Horry was at the end of the bench those years he was a part of a championship.

Extra Stout
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
If we're retiring numbers for clutch playoff shots made as a Spur, I guess Jaren Jackson's #2 has to go up in the rafters.

Robert Horry should not have his jersey retired.

Retiring Johnny Moore's was already absurd enough.

The discussion of Avery Johnson is equally silly.

At some point, San Antonio is going to have to stop acting like a small town in the middle of nowhere with regard to its basketball team, and realize that the Spurs are among the premier franchises in the league, and that the standard for hanging numbers in the rafters should be very high.

They don't hang division championship banners anymore, do they? They have gone above and beyond, and so must we. The grounds for entry should be a minimum of seven years with the Spurs, and at least one All-Star appearance. Those criteria should not be guarantees, but rather just a starting point for discussion.

I don't want to hear this, "But we're the fans, and we want to see them retired because we liiiiiiiike them." Go suck your thumb. There are standards to uphold here. The Spurs are elite. Be elitist.

At least James Silas was one of the two or three best guards in the ABA during his prime.

Texas_Ranger
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
No.

Phenomanul
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
If we're retiring numbers for clutch playoff shots made as a Spur, I guess Jaren Jackson's #2 has to go up in the rafters.

Robert Horry should not have his jersey retired.

Retiring Johnny Moore's was already absurd enough.

The discussion of Avery Johnson is equally silly.

At some point, San Antonio is going to have to stop acting like a small town in the middle of nowhere with regard to its basketball team, and realize that the Spurs are among the premiere franchises in the league, and that the standard for hanging numbers in the rafters should be very high.

They don't hang division championship banners anymore, do they? They have gone above and beyond, and so must we. The grounds for entry should be a minimum of seven years with the Spurs, and at least one All-Star appearance. Those criteria should not be guarantees, but rather just a starting point for discussion.

I don't want to hear this, "But we're the fans, and we want to see them retired because we liiiiiiiike them." Go suck your thumb. There are standards to uphold here. The Spurs are elite. Be elitist.

At least James Silas was one of the two or three best guards in the ABA during his prime.

Fair enough argument... what about HOF credentials? Does Horry qualify in your book?

Extra Stout
05-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Fair enough argument... what about HOF credentials? Does Horry qualify in your book?
No.

The HOF has several categories. Some are there for the sake of political correctness.

NBA players have to be among the immortals to get in.

Horry is not an immortal.

Extra Stout
05-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Just because they let in one joker doesn't mean they have to open the floodgates.

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Retire 5 WHEN we get 5!!!!

tru2ou
05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I started this thread before this series began in hopes of another Big performance from Horry to persuade the naysayers to change their minds. Well hopefully this was not it. Personally I don't think the foul was as hard as Nash made it seem. He flopped like he had been shot and then suddenly jumped up and tried to get at Horry. Well anyway I for one want to beat a team at full strength and disagree with the suspensions and hopefully the Spurs will move on and Horry will get a chance to redeem himself.

Fillmoe
05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
they should retire his jersey.... he single handedly just gave them the upper hand in this series