PDA

View Full Version : Suns look for ways to stop Duncan

THE SIXTH MAN
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050807.1D.spursADV.34306e7.html)

Suns look for ways to stop Duncan

Web Posted: 05/07/2007 10:23 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

PHOENIX — Sean Marks spent three seasons with the Spurs, and while he appeared to be affixed to a chair behind the team's bench for much of that time, his teammates knew otherwise.
For at least two of those seasons, Marks served as Tim Duncan's personal workout partner. During practice — and sometimes after — it was Marks who went 1-on-1 with Duncan, banging against the Spurs forward and giving him a 7-footer on which to test his game.

So it came as little surprise that as Marks' newest employer, the Phoenix Suns, finished practice Monday afternoon, Amare Stoudemire sought out the team's Encyclopedia Spurtannica.

For about 10 minutes, Marks demonstrated some of Duncan's moves. He told Stoudemire what to expect and how he should best position himself.

"I showed him a couple of things, but at the same time, Amare has his work cut out for him," Marks said. "Anybody does."

The Suns realize as much. After Duncan totaled 33 points, 16 rebounds and three blocks in the Spurs' series-opening victory Sunday, Phoenix is considering making a lineup change tonight when the teams resume their Western Conference semifinal at US Airways Center.

Stoudemire said he expects the Suns to start center Kurt Thomas alongside him in place of swingman James Jones. The move would give Phoenix a slower but bigger lineup.

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni wouldn't confirm the change except to say, "It's something we'll definitely look at."

Stoudemire opened Sunday's game on Duncan but picked up three fouls in the first half. Shawn Marion didn't have much success during his time guarding Duncan, making Thomas the Suns' most effective interior defender.

A sturdy 6-foot-9 forward, Thomas did a credible job of anticipating Duncan's moves and making him work to establish position.

"Kurt's an excellent defender," Duncan said. "He does a very good job against me, very physical, very smart.

"We've obviously played against each other for many years, and he understands what to bring to the table. I don't think they lose much when he's on the floor."

Duncan has often given the Suns trouble the past few seasons — he averaged 27.4 points and 13.8 rebounds against them in the 2005 Western Conference finals — and Sunday was no different. After missing all four of his shots in the first quarter, he scored 21 points in the second half.

"I can see a little bit flashbacks from two, three years ago when he used to really, really dominate," Tony Parker said. "It's good to see that."

Duncan is considerably healthier than a year ago when he was slowed much of the season by plantar fasciitis in his right foot. Even while helping lead the Spurs to the 2005 championship, he played much of the time on a pair of sore ankles.

"He's able to lift his legs up and run and plant now," Robert Horry said. "It makes a big difference on how he can spin because he has that push-off."

That was evident late in Sunday's game when Duncan spun on the baseline and buried an impressive 12-foot jump hook to give the Spurs the lead for good. The Suns didn't double-team Duncan on the possession, and they sound like they don't plan to change that strategy tonight because they don't want to risk leaving the Spurs' shooters open.

"It's almost Kobe-ish," Suns guard Raja Bell said of Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant. "If Kobe scores 40, we can still beat them. It's limiting other people's opportunities.

"So I don't think we're going to panic with Tim getting 30."

The Spurs coaches, however, think Duncan can further raise his aggressiveness and have an even greater impact. And with the Spurs having already taken one game from the Suns on their floor, Duncan understands the importance of tonight's game.

"We put these guys down 2-0 going back to our house, that's some incredible pressure," he said. "I think there's some incredible pressure anyway with us up 1-0.

"We just lost our first game against Denver and coming into that second game, there were a lot more nerves, a lot more pressing to get that game."

Which is why Stoudemire looked to Marks for advice. Duncan's wife, Amy, also noticed Marks trying to help the Suns' big men during Sunday's TV broadcast.

Duncan went to dinner with Marks, Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto after the game.

He joked with his former teammate that Amy "had a couple of choice words for him."

"She said, 'I've got a bone to pick with Sean, what's he doing giving your secrets away?'" Marks said. "I told Timmy those guys are paying the bills now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

THE SIXTH MAN
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
CIA Sean Marks?

SpursDynasty
05-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Can't beat the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-08-2007, 12:57 AM
doesn't mean they won't take game 2

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Please play TD straight up.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 01:16 AM
You know how you spot a mark in the playoffs? It's usually the team that is shuffling their lineup.

T Park
05-08-2007, 01:18 AM
coughdallasmaverickscough

timvp
05-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Seeing as Marks is one of the worst defensive bigs I've ever seen, him giving defensive advice is actually quite comical.

T Park
05-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Its like Melvin Sanders advising Michael Finley on jump shot technique.

dbreiden83080
05-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Can someone tell me why Marks gets on rosters in the NBA when he never plays at all virtually the entire season and the playoffs? What is he there for other than be a practice decoy?

slayermin
05-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050807.1D.spursADV.34306e7.html)
"We put these guys down 2-0 going back to our house, that's some incredible pressure," he said. "I think there's some incredible pressure anyway with us up 1-0. "

[email protected]

:smokin

timvp
05-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Can someone tell me why Marks gets on rosters in the NBA when he never plays at all virtually the entire season and the playoffs? What is he there for other than be a practice decoy?

He's a nice guy.

That's about it.

howbouthemspurs
05-08-2007, 03:00 AM
i would love to be there as a practice decoy! .. they still get paid shitloads of money for not even playin in a game! .. i would take that job anyday

mavsfan1000
05-08-2007, 03:07 AM
You can't stop Duncan. You can only hope to contain him. He plays his best in the big games as well.

Strike
05-08-2007, 03:08 AM
I almost expect Phoenix to take game 2.

Not that I want them to, but if they do I won't be worried.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-08-2007, 03:38 AM
:lol I'm watching ESPN's replay of the game. And during a timeout you can see Sean Marks "coaching" Amare.

slayermin
05-08-2007, 03:54 AM
:lol I'm watching ESPN's replay of the game. And during a timeout you can see Sean Marks "coaching" Amare.

I thought I saw Marks yelling at Finley when he was about to shoot. I might be wrong though.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-08-2007, 03:56 AM
I thought I saw Marks yelling at Finley when he was about to shoot. I might be wrong though.
:lol At D'antoni

Xylus
05-08-2007, 04:10 AM
The Suns aren't going to stop Duncan. During the 4th quarter, he threw the ball up with Amare practically bearhugging him a couple of times, and made it each time. They weren't gimme shots. Duncan is such an amazing player.

The key is stopping Parker. Allowing him to go 14-22, with 8 assists, is just unacceptable. Stick Raja Bell on his arse while Ginobili is on the bench, see how well that works. Not sure if Bell is quick enough to keep up with Parker, but Bell might pester him enough to take him out of rhythm.

Man, I should be coaching this team, not D'Antoni.

mavsfan1000
05-08-2007, 04:29 AM
The Suns aren't going to stop Duncan. During the 4th quarter, he threw the ball up with Amare practically bearhugging him a couple of times, and made it each time. They weren't gimme shots. Duncan is such an amazing player.

The key is stopping Parker. Allowing him to go 14-22, with 8 assists, is just unacceptable. Stick Raja Bell on his arse while Ginobili is on the bench, see how well that works. Not sure if Bell is quick enough to keep up with Parker, but Bell might pester him enough to take him out of rhythm.

Yeah D'antoni was considering putting Amare on Parker and Nash on Duncan but I guess he thought Marion could do a better job on Parker. :lmao

RonMexico
05-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Duncan was all-around playing incredible ball in the 2nd half... getting good position at all times, making smart passes, but also some of the shots he was making were ones I'd seen him miss in the regular season.

While some people still claim the Dallas-SA rivalry is better (maybe because Dallas actually wins a few now and then), I think this matchup is still similar to Lakers-Celtics rivalry back in the 60s... where the Lakers would be oh, so talented and flashy, but never quite get over the hump as the Celtics go on to win 8 straight titles.

Only difference is that those teams were in different conferences, which means it's time to move the Spurs back to the East...

sanman53
05-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Who actually does a good job guarding Timmy?

I remember Robert Horry doing a good job on him when Bobby was with LA.

It seems like Rasheed does a good job guarding Timmy too.

RonMexico
05-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Anderson Varejao

MI21
05-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Yeah, Rasheed is the best I have seen. Horry was pretty damn good. Both defenders who don't bite on fakes to much, and have a long reach and surprising atheticism.

So basically, you need to be disciplined, have good length and be athletic :lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2007, 07:02 AM
double agent sean marks? fuck him, CIA POP looms mofo

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Kick him in the crotch like in 05?

boutons_
05-08-2007, 07:49 AM
"Who actually does a good job guarding Timmy?"

Rasheed, and of course, Karl Malone bitch-slapped Timmy out of B2B rings in the 04 playoffs.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Antonia McDykes gaurded him well in the 05 finals.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 08:35 AM

As much as I hate saying this Malone did a good job against Tim, he used to pull the chair out on Tim all the time.....DROVE me crazy!

jmard5
05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Only difference is that those teams were in different conferences, which means it's time to move the Spurs back to the East...

:lol Pistons-Spurs rivalry then?

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 09:10 AM

Sure. Let's just change it. Put Bell on Parker and he will still get lit up for 25ppg because Bell doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with him. Meanwhile Ginobili and his new found freedom goes off for another 30. Doesn't sound like a good strategy to me coach.

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
it'll be a good one

Taco
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Just heard on PHX Sports Radio, Kurt Thomas will get the start

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I think its funny that Sean Marks is coaching to help "guard" Duncan. I personally forgot he was even on the Suns. I saw him during game 1 and was thinking, who is that guy I know him but forgot all about him, guess that happens when you never play.

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Meanwhile Ginobili and his new found freedom goes off for another 30. Doesn't sound like a good strategy to me coach.

that's exactly what's gonna happen.

manu made his first two shots sunday, looked good doing it, then got two quick fouls and never really got back into any rhythm.

won't be the case tonite.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
that's exactly what's gonna happen.

manu made his first two shots sunday, looked good doing it, then got two quick fouls and never really got back into any rhythm.

won't be the case tonite.

Maybe, maybe not. 3 out of the 4 games this year, Bell has gotten the best of Manu. If Bell continues to keep Ginobili in check, and we can hold Parker under 20, the Suns should win.

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Maybe, maybe not. 3 out of the 4 games this year, Bell has gotten the best of Manu. If Bell continues to keep Ginobili in check, and we can hold Parker under 20, the Suns should win.

i agree bell can offset alot of what ginobili likes to do. but tonite, at least for some stretches, i expect to see raja checking parker which should hopefully open up some things for manu.

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
They can't stop Duncan.

Apparently, they can't stop TP either.

FreeMad Dan
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
You can't stop the Train!!! WHOOO!!! :makemyday

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
i agree bell can offset alot of what ginobili likes to do. but tonite, at least for some stretches, i expect to see raja checking parker which should hopefully open up some things for manu.

It is possible, but that is not what D'Antoni is saying in the media. He expects Marion to rise up to the challenge and is going to give Marion another chance in Game 2. With Marion complaining (like he always does) about not being the DPOY, or on either of the defensive teams, games like Sunday's is why. If Parker goes off on Marion again, We could see Bell on Parker and Marion on Ginobili.

Mavs<Spurs
05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Of the Suns bigs, I suppose that Kurt Thomas does play Timmy the best.
However, I don't think that Thomas can't significantly detract from Duncan's play.

To have forced D'Antoni to alter his starting lineup (akin to admitting that they can't beat the Spurs playing small) is quite a feat.

They have Bell and Marion who are both good defenders. Adding Thomas do their team does improve their team defense, but this does come at a cost.

The Suns do one thing well, run on offense.
They are compromising that strength as everyone here has pointed out.

If I were a Suns fan, I'd be worried seeing this as a panic move on the part of D'Antoni.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Shit,Amare is gonna need Mark to work with him for another 10 yrs to stop Duncan.keep trying Dántoni!

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Antonia McDykes gaurded him well in the 05 finals.

Who???

You mean, Antonio McDyess?