PDA

View Full Version : So Far who has been our Xfactor.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I know Manu is usually referred to as our Xfactor, but who do you guys think so far in the playoffs has been our Xfactor? I am saying if Finley has 25+ we have a good shot on winning. With our regulars doing what they do of course.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Tony's forehead. After all....isn't that the only reason the Spurs won?

[sarcasm/]

:)

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 09:30 AM
hahaha

RiverwalkParade
05-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Robert Horry, hands down. He has made all of the hustle plays, hit the big shots and played above and beyond his ability to this point. Second place would be Michael Finley. I'm glad he finally arived in San Antonio. I always thought if we were going to put Manu in the 6th Man role that Fin should stat over Barry. Finley has been a career starter and needs to get into the flow of the game.

Our xxx factor goes to Parker fo his horror film headbutt to Nash. I hear that Vince McMahon from the WWE is calling him now.

Cry Havoc
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Robert Horry, hands down. He has made all of the hustle plays, hit the big shots and played above and beyond his ability to this point. Second place would be Michael Finley. I'm glad he finally arived in San Antonio. I always thought if we were going to put Manu in the 6th Man role that Fin should stat over Barry. Finley has been a career starter and needs to get into the flow of the game.

Our xxx factor goes to Parker fo his horror film headbutt to Nash. I hear that Vince McMahon from the WWE is calling him now.

Not sure a starter can be an X factor, but definitely Horry. He's been massive.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
After going back and rewatching the past 7 or 8 games for the Spurs, I nominate Michael Finley.

As someone who stated at the beginning of the series that he was only a factor in game 5, rewatching gave me a different outlook.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Not sure a starter can be an X factor, but definitely Horry. He's been massive.

Well I was thinking that, but even though he is a starter he isnt the "key" to our offense.

Jimcs50
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Finley by a mile. If Fin played like this last year in playoffs, the Spurs would be going for the 3 peat right now.

FreeMad Dan
05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Tony's forehead. After all....isn't that the only reason the Spurs won?

[sarcasm/]

:)

:lmao

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 09:52 AM
FinDawg. That dude is having a very good playoffs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Definitely Finley. After last year's playoffs and his strong finish this year I figured he'd be good but I never expected this.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Definitely Finley. After last year's playoffs and his strong finish this year I figured he'd be good but I never expected this.

I was a little worried about him during the season, but now that he got his groove on, im excited. My boss, (a Mavs fan) said it was sad that we had to depend on a old guy like Finley to win. I dont think we depend on him, but he is doing what he was brought here for and what he wasnt in Dallas.... A role player. If Duncan does what he does, Parker does what he does, Gino gets his rhythm back, and Finley and Big Shot Rob stepping up, there is not one team that can hold us down. Well that is until we play Vaughn.

NASHville
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Tim Duncan. Period.

Darkwaters
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
And the oscar goes to....Finley

Darkwaters
05-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Tim Duncan. Period.

Typically what they mean by this question is who has been the reserve that has stepped up the best. While Finley technically starts, he is generally regarded as a reserve with Gino being the starter.

Tim Duncan is obvious. Without Duncan this team goes nowhere.

nkdlunch
05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Finley Xfactor.

Dominant factor, Duncan.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I am saying if Finley has 25+ we have a good shot on winning. With our regulars doing what they do of course.

Wow -- now that's going out on a limb: if Finley can score 10 points above his current playoff average, and go over 25 points in a game (which he's done once all season long) and the rest of the guys do what they normally do, the Spurs have a good shot on winning.

John Wooden . . . Red Auerbach . . . ATRAIN.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I think Finley is undoubtedly a difference for these Spurs. I think it's been a great move by Pop to stick with Finley in the starting lineup and to relegate Barry to the bench, if only because Finley seems to be a much better fit with the first group -- the attention that Timmy and Tony command allows Finley to be a spot-up shooter and his willingness to take the shot and his ability to make the shot have spread the floor to open up the offense a bit. I also think that Finley has found a commitment to playing at least some defense that has made the first group better defensively than it was with Barry. Finley did a credible job at times on Carmelo, who is one of the toughest matchups in the entire league.

It would be impossible, too, to ignore the difference that an involved Horry makes for this team on both ends of the floor. People become enamored with his clutch 3's, but on Sunday, he provided 7 rebounds and 2 blocks to go along with the 10 points that he added. Horry was gigantic for the Spurs in the 2005 WCF against the Suns, putting up a difference-making 10 ppg and 7 rpg to compliment what the Big 3 were doing. He got 10 and 7 on Sunday. I'm not sure, with Finley's added scoring punch, that the Spurs need the 10 ppg from Horry, but they sure can use the 7 rpg.

boutons_
05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
what's an x-factor?

tmtcsc
05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
what's an x-factor?

He who performs above what is expected and/or at crucial times during games.

I vote Finley. Horry has been great too. But Michael Finley has been exceptional. He has allowed Manu to have some tough games and not get blasted for it....

What's great is that you Manu may just go off tonight. He's due. He's a competitor and puts winning above everything else. He was not doing well on offense but he grabbed 9 rebounds. He finds ways to contribute.

I've heard some rumblings that Raja Bell may be assigned to TP. If that happens, Manu will take the lead from the guard spot. You can expect alot of switching around by Phoenix.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Kurt Thomas

Hey maybe Sean Marks is our xfactor, after all he is teaching Amare how to guard Duncan and we all saw how that ended up.

TampaDude
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Finley...he's on fire right now.

TampaDude
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
He who performs above what is expected and/or at crucial times during games.

I vote Finley. Horry has been great too. But Michael Finley has been exceptional. He has allowed Manu to have some tough games and not get blasted for it....

What's great is that you Manu may just go off tonight. He's due. He's a competitor and puts winning above everything else. He was not doing well on offense but he grabbed 9 rebounds. He finds ways to contribute.

I've heard some rumblings that Raja Bell may be assigned to TP. If that happens, Manu will take the lead from the guard spot. You can expect alot of switching around by Phoenix.

If Manu has a breakout game tonight, Game 2 could be over quickly...

wildbill2u
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I know Manu is usually referred to as our Xfactor, but who do you guys think so far in the playoffs has been our Xfactor? I am saying if Finley has 25+ we have a good shot on winning. With our regulars doing what they do of course.
Finley has been playing great. No longer Findog, but Mr. Finley, the shootist.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Wow -- now that's going out on a limb: if Finley can score 10 points above his current playoff average, and go over 25 points in a game (which he's done once all season long) and the rest of the guys do what they normally do, the Spurs have a good shot on winning.

:lmao Beat me to it.

I don't know where this forum would be without the insight of the 'new gen' of posters.

SAGambler
05-08-2007, 12:42 PM
I think Fins dead eye has been the difference so far. He made some tough shots with someone hanging all over him Sunday.

I can only hope he keeps up this performance.

FreeMad Dan
05-08-2007, 01:09 PM
:lmao Beat me to it.

I don't know where this forum would be without the insight of the 'new gen' of posters.

:lmao You are the douche of the day. Where would you be without the "new gen"? Same place you are now in your basement sitting in front of your computer waiting for somone to say something that you may not find insightful so you can bash them. I'll admit i'm pretty new to being a spurs fan. I moved to Texas 4 years ago and hadn't watched the NBA regularly before, thought this would be a cool place to learn about them. Apparently it's just a place for cum stains like you to bash people with your apparent superiority. :stfu

Oh yeah...the aggies suck too!!!

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 01:13 PM
:lmao You are the douche of the day. Where would you be without the "new gen"? Same place you are now in your basement sitting in front of your computer waiting for somone to say something that you may not find insightful so you can bash them. I'll admit i'm pretty new to being a spurs fan. I moved to Texas 4 years ago and hadn't watched the NBA regularly before, thought this would be a cool place to learn about them. Apparently it's just a place for cum stains like you to bash people with your apparent superiority. :stfu

Oh yeah...the aggies suck too!!!

hahaha DAAAAYMMMMM

VaSpursFan
05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
finley's timely shooting and d have been critical. since it's unexpected, he's the x factor.

strong consideration given to horry, but we come to expect him to deliver in the playoffs. other teams are just too stupid to realize how clutch this guy is on both ends of the court. the guy just understands the nuances of the game and has such a high b-ball IQ.

longrod
05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
No one. Yet. Everyone's played up to expectations. On the positive side, that is...

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Same place you are now in your basement sitting in front of your computer waiting for somone to say something that you may not find insightful so you can bash them.

So...if you disagree with someone...its bashing?

J.T.
05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Finley has hit some huge shots and made a solid contriubtion to this playoff run. Horry hit the dagger in Game 4 of the first round, but he has also played very well in areas that don't show up in the box score. But I would say Finley has been the X factor for us. I don't consider Horry's good play recently to be a surprise...he always turns it on in the postseason.

FreeMad Dan
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
So...if you disagree with someone...its bashing?

No it's not...I'm sure you read the rest of the post also. He didn't disagree he belittled. There is a difference, what's the point of it. If you disagree with someone then give why you disagree with them, don't berate them and make them feel like they don't belong. Same thing with the post from "FromWayDownTown", he did the exact same thing. Instead of welcoming people they are being condescending and insulting. The post below is what he was responding to and drew my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN

I am saying if Finley has 25+ we have a good shot on winning. With our regulars doing what they do of course.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
all timers vs the NEW GEN of spurstalk users.Iīm loving it!
Hopefully all timers will finally realize they donīt own this board,they are just part of it as everybody else

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 03:16 PM
all timers vs the NEW GEN of spurstalk users.Iīm loving it!
Hopefully all timers will finally realize they donīt own this board,they are just part of it as everybody else

So who exactly is who? After a certain number of posts does one change from a "new gen" to an "all timer" or does one have to be a registered user for a certain length of time? Does age come into play? Do people have a choice to be one or the other or do have no say at all and you are just going to arbitrarily pick for people without their consent? Or is it just people who disagree with you? ;)

Damn..now you need a program at the ball game and in the forum now too! :spin

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
No it's not...I'm sure you read the rest of the post also. He didn't disagree he belittled. There is a difference, what's the point of it. If you disagree with someone then give why you disagree with them, don't berate them and make them feel like they don't belong. Same thing with the post from "FromWayDownTown", he did the exact same thing. Instead of welcoming people they are being condescending and insulting. The post below is what he was responding to and drew my response.

You're right, I should have welcomed ATRAIN and politely asked him to re-think his take, rather than blasting its absurdity.

I don't care how long ATRAIN (or anyone else for that matter) has been here or hasn't been here -- I've got no old school/new gen thing going on here; I don't ever look at a post count in responding to someone's opinion.

But if somebody posts something that's stupid, I'm not just going to disagree with it. I'm not sure why I should change my posting style just because someone is new to the forum.

What makes this place great is that it is largely internally regulated. Bad takes get flamed. It's not just me -- as things go around here, I'd think I'm generally pretty forgiving.

ATRAIN's take about the Spurs being fine if Finley gets 25 and everyone else does just what they should is absurd because it has no basis in fact. It's little different than saying that the Spurs will be fine as long as Timmy drops 50 and the other guys do what they normally do. I think it's absurd; I said so. If you think that I'm erroneously discounting ATRAIN's thoughts, then explain why. But don't give me any of this "but we're new around here" crap and expect to get any slack. I'd like to be sure that this forum remains a great place to talk hoops realistically and reasonably with those who know and understand the game. I don't think that's asking too much.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
So who exactly is who? After a certain number of posts does one change from a "new gen" to an "all timer" or does one have to be a registered user for a certain length of time? Does age come into play? Do people have a choice to be one or the other or do have no say at all and you are just going to arbitrarily pick for people without their consent? Or is it just people who disagree with you? ;)

Damn..now you need a program at the ball game and in the forum now too! :spin

donīt act like you donīt know what happens Here to the new posters Mr.17,303 posts.

Testing
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Horry is your x factor. Finley played this good last season against the mavs also and it didnt really get you anywhere. If horry had played this well against the mavs last season, who knows what would have happened...

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
donīt act like you donīt know what happens Here to the new posters Mr.17,303 posts.

So you are saying that everyone with as many posts or me or more treats all new posters badly.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM

A new poster who brings a good thought or an argument is always treated well, I think. Post counts are irrelevant to whether someone's position is a good one. But I also don't think that those who have lower post counts should expect that they can just get away with posting anything without having a bad argument ridiculed.

For crissakes, I've been here (and elsewhere with the old time crew) for years and timvp and others still put me in my place . . . sometimes.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
So you are saying that everyone with as many posts or me or more treats all new posters badly.

Yes I am,and Iīm not the only one.Cause you know what?they fact that Myself or other posters here are new,donīt mean that we are NEW SPURS FANS,or new in Basketball,we are just new posters here,and Me or other new posters here might know more of BB tham you or anybody else here.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
For crissakes, I've been here (and elsewhere with the old time crew) for years and timvp and others still put me in my place . . . sometimes

Very true....hell, FWD and I have argued a time or two. Nothing wrong with good debate. FWD and I have argued and had margaritas out in the real world!

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Horry is your x factor. Finley played this good last season against the mavs also and it didnt really get you anywhere. If horry had played this well against the mavs last season, who knows what would have happened...

I think they're both x factors in different ways. Finley gives the Spurs a credible floor stretcher (to go along with Bowen) in the first group, but he also is a guy who can do some other things on both ends of the floor. Finley can give that boost in the boxscore -- additional scoring when needed -- and provide some intangibles that are crucial to winning.

I agree, though, that Horry's production tends to be more closely tied to the Spurs' fate. In 2006, he struggled through the playoffs and so did the Spurs. Like 2005, to this point at least, he's been quite productive and the Spurs have, remarkably enough, had team success.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes I am,and Iīm not the only one.Cause you know what?they fact that Myself or other posters here are new,donīt mean that we are NEW SPURS FANS,or new in Basketball,we are just new posters here,and Me or other new posters here might know more of BB tham you or anybody else here.

Ok...lets be fair...show me where I treated you badly just because you were a new poster.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Ok...lets be fair...show me where I treated you badly just because you were a new poster.
I really donīt want to start a war or something like that,but I have to say that:every time I donīt agree with an all timer here,Iīve been bashed,and I thought It was something personal with me or my way of express myself being English my 2nd lenguaje,but It happened not only to me,but to every other new poster here who disagrees with an all timer.
All Iīm saying is:if you(all timers or anybody here) donīt like or disagree with what I have to say,ignore me or just say you donīt think like I do,but donīt treat me like a retarded cause that IīM NOT.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I really donīt want to start a war or something like that

Yet you run around like its West Side Story with the whole "All-timers vs. New Gen" thing.

I really donīt want to start a war or something like that,but I have to say that:every time I donīt agree with an all timer here,Iīve been bashed,

Now you are wrong.

I am (according to you) an "all-timer" and I have never bashed you. I disagreed with you on the Gervin/Ginobili thing but that wasn't because you were new, its because I didn't agree with your premise.

I have no problem with new opinions or takes and I know that others feel the same. I can tell you though if you are looking for somewhere that you will never get bashed, this is not the place. I have been to GTG's where I get a hug when I get there, and one when I leave and told i'm full of shit inbetween...It just happens...its not personal....its all in good fun. You are going to get popped from time to time and its not going to be just because you are new. Ive seen you talk shit here...nothing wrong with that...but you are going get it back from time to time as well. Its just the way things are. Again...its not personal and you shouldn't take it that way. There were times when I did back in the day...and its just not the case.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
You're right, I should have welcomed ATRAIN and politely asked him to re-think his take, rather than blasting its absurdity.

I don't care how long ATRAIN (or anyone else for that matter) has been here or hasn't been here -- I've got no old school/new gen thing going on here; I don't ever look at a post count in responding to someone's opinion.

But if somebody posts something that's stupid, I'm not just going to disagree with it. I'm not sure why I should change my posting style just because someone is new to the forum.

What makes this place great is that it is largely internally regulated. Bad takes get flamed. It's not just me -- as things go around here, I'd think I'm generally pretty forgiving.

ATRAIN's take about the Spurs being fine if Finley gets 25 and everyone else does just what they should is absurd because it has no basis in fact. It's little different than saying that the Spurs will be fine as long as Timmy drops 50 and the other guys do what they normally do. I think it's absurd; I said so. If you think that I'm erroneously discounting ATRAIN's thoughts, then explain why. But don't give me any of this "but we're new around here" crap and expect to get any slack. I'd like to be sure that this forum remains a great place to talk hoops realistically and reasonably with those who know and understand the game. I don't think that's asking too much.

No Basis on fact, how would you figure. Taken from the SPURS official site, you can add up the players Point Per Game during the playoffs which comes out too 97. Since Finley is averaging 16.5, tack on another 10 since I said 25+, add that up and that makes 107. Given our team has allowed 91.2 points this off season, that gives us the lead and the potential win. I didnt even say that we WOULD win, I said we had a good chance AT WINNING again in case you missed it A GOOD CHANCE.Yeah there are what If's but there is no way to be sure so before you decide to TRY and make someone look small, make sure you have facts to back it up. Even if Finley performs at AVG. we still have the lead. You could have just said, no I think Finley wont do that in game 2 or game 3 or whatever, but no you had to try to impress everyone and help your ego by trying to put me down.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Yet you run around like its West Side Story with the whole "All-timers vs. New Gen" thing.

Now you are wrong.

I am (according to you) an "all-timer" and I have never bashed you. I disagreed with you on the Gervin/Ginobili thing but that wasn't because you were new, its because I didn't agree with your premise.

I have no problem with new opinions or takes and I know that others feel the same. I can tell you though if you are looking for somewhere that you will never get bashed, this is not the place. I have been to GTG's where I get a hug when I get there, and one when I leave and told i'm full of shit inbetween...It just happens...its not personal....its all in good fun. You are going to get popped from time to time and its not going to be just because you are new. Ive seen you talk shit here...nothing wrong with that...but you are going get it back from time to time as well. Its just the way things are. Again...its not personal and you shouldn't take it that way. There were times when I did back in the day...and its just not the case.

Yeah I can relate, it just seems (although might not be everyone) like we get bashed cause we are new to the board. I can see it if we bring up a topic that has been covered, but for us its new. Yeah I know you have prob seen it before and are tired of it coming up, but its really simple, let us newbs discuss it, you dont have to put your 2 cents in and say its dumb, or that was all 2 weeks ago. SO WHAT... Dont read that thread, and dont show how high and mighty you are by trying to make us feel like we dont belong. I am not personally attacking you, im just showing you how I see it. Like a lot of threads on here, they are opinions and everyone is entitled to thiers, but stop trying to be a buzzkill.

FreeMad Dan
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah I can relate, it just seems (although might not be everyone) like we get bashed cause we are new to the board. I can see it if we bring up a topic that has been covered, but for us its new. Yeah I know you have prob seen it before and are tired of it coming up, but its really simple, let us newbs discuss it, you dont have to put your 2 cents in and say its dumb, or that was all 2 weeks ago. SO WHAT... Dont read that thread, and dont show how high and mighty you are by trying to make us feel like we dont belong. I am not personally attacking you, im just showing you how I see it. Like a lot of threads on here, they are opinions and everyone is entitled to thiers, but stop trying to be a buzzkill.

Exactly...I've been on other forums where the older member will tell you "hey we covered that already. check out this link or this thread yada yada yada" not required, but nice of them.

ALVAREZ6
05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Robert Horry.

I consider Finley too big of a factor to be the X factor these days.

AnkleBreaker21
05-08-2007, 06:29 PM
damn finley has back spasms hope he will be alright to play tonight

Deb
05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I was a little worried about him during the season, but now that he got his groove on, im excited. My boss, (a Mavs fan) said it was sad that we had to depend on a old guy like Finley to win. I dont think we depend on him, but he is doing what he was brought here for and what he wasnt in Dallas.... A role player. If Duncan does what he does, Parker does what he does, Gino gets his rhythm back, and Finley and Big Shot Rob stepping up, there is not one team that can hold us down. Well that is until we play Vaughn.
The Mavs fan (boss)just wishes he had hadFinley back in their loser series :blah

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 07:09 PM
No Basis on fact, how would you figure. Taken from the SPURS official site, you can add up the players Point Per Game during the playoffs which comes out too 97. Since Finley is averaging 16.5, tack on another 10 since I said 25+, add that up and that makes 107. Given our team has allowed 91.2 points this off season, that gives us the lead and the potential win. I didnt even say that we WOULD win, I said we had a good chance AT WINNING again in case you missed it A GOOD CHANCE.Yeah there are what If's but there is no way to be sure so before you decide to TRY and make someone look small, make sure you have facts to back it up. Even if Finley performs at AVG. we still have the lead. You could have just said, no I think Finley wont do that in game 2 or game 3 or whatever, but no you had to try to impress everyone and help your ego by trying to put me down.

Well, again, you might as well have said, if Tim gets 40 . . . .

Your original post made it sound like you thought it was realistic that Finley would be rolling up 25+ point games. I pointed out that: (1) you weren't exactly going out on a limb with your statement; and (2) your statement lacked much foundation in fact, since Finley has exceeded 25 points in exactly one game since the start of the 2006-07 regular season.

I'm not trying to put you down, but your contention wasn't a very strong one, given that it's highly unlikely that Finley is going to be putting up a slew of 25+ point games. I also don't think that I have any need to impress anyone around here -- at least I hope I don't.

I thought your argument was silly (ala, if Tim averages 40 ppg . . . .) and warranted a silly response. Don't be so freakin' sensitive. I'm civil compared to what those sorts of takes will get you from most of this board.

Back to the point of the discussion, at this point, however, Finley's injury might be enough to make him THE x factor -- regardless of whether he gets 25 ppg or not.

Nbadan
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Finley and Horry, in that order.

Spursfan101
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Finley and Horry, in that order.
:clap

Glad to see somebody got it right

NASHville
05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Oh yeah. Tim is the X factor.

Kobulingam
05-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Tim Duncan proving that he always pulls an Horry during the Regular season.

Man this fucker is the real MVP.