PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Jermaine Asks For Trade To New York

ducks
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
O'Neal already has told the Pacers he wants to be traded to the Knicks and former Pacers coach and close friend Isiah Thomas. Would the Pacers take Stephon Marbury or maybe a package with Steve Francis, Jared Jeffries and Channing Frye and the Bulls' first-round pick, which the Knicks own in the swap?http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070506smithinside,1,4008387.column?page=2&coll=cs-bulls-headlines

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Apparently he is not all that interested in winning a title

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I doubt that they would trade him to the Knicks. The Lakers seem to me like the best scenerio. They could get a package of Odom, Bynum, and maybe a pick.

Cry Havoc
05-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I doubt that they would trade him to the Knicks. The Lakers seem to me like the best scenerio. They could get a package of Odom, Bynum, and maybe a pick.

I doubt the Lakers would trade Bynum. They love him and are heralding him as the next great big.

BacktoBasics
05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Apparently he is not all that interested in winning a title
Thats the first thing I thought.

AZLouis
05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I doubt the Lakers would trade Bynum. They love him and are heralding him as the next great big.

And they already have shown they aren't willing to part with him during the Jason Kidd talks.

O'Neal should demand a trade to the Mavs, Warriors, Suns, or even the Bulls.

If I were the Pacers, I wouldn't see the incentive in acquiring Franchise or Starbury. Their contracts end 1 year before O'Neal's.

I'd ask for Curry, Lee, and Frye just to discuss the possibility.

NoMoneyDown
05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Never mix business and friendship. Isiah is possibly one of the worst coaches and GM's the NBA has ever seen.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM

I guess you missed the part where he said he wanted to go to NY.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Why would anyone want to go to the Knicks.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Why would anyone want to go to the Knicks.
Isiah's his old coach. On top of that, New York's a much bigger market than Indy. Maybe he wants more spotlight, or just a better shot at big endorsement deals.

Texas_Ranger
05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Because of Isiah. :lol That is really is stupid.

AFBlue
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
In case some of you didn't know....

Jermaine O'Neal signed that mammoth contract with Indiana in 2003, avoiding overtures from the Spurs in the process might I add, under the pretense that Isaiah would remain the coach.

Isaiah was fired less than a year later, and I don't think it ever sat right with O'Neal....

So it doesn't seem that farfetched that he'd want to be re-united with the coach that he felt comfortable enough with to sign a 7yr deal.

Having said that....there's no way the Pacers want to take back the pieces that New York has, unless they agree to throw in their #1 this year and the ability to swap a #1 next year.... :lol

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
In case some of you didn't know....

Jermaine O'Neal signed that mammoth contract with Indiana in 2003, avoiding overtures from the Spurs in the process might I add, under the pretense that Isaiah would remain the coach.

Isaiah was fired less than a year later, and I don't think it ever sat right with O'Neal....

So it doesn't seem that farfetched that he'd want to be re-united with the coach that he felt comfortable enough with to sign a 7yr deal.

Having said that....there's no way the Pacers want to take back the pieces that New York has, unless they agree to throw in their #1 this year and the ability to swap a #1 next year.... :lol

I dont know if I would base that much of my contract on a coach. Just me though.

AFBlue
05-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I dont know if I would base that much of my contract on a coach. Just me though.

Well, there was the $120M to go along with it, which was more than any other team could offer, but his loyalty to Isaiah was a big reason he decided not to defect. For J-Kidd that same summer, it was his now-estranged wife that convinced him SA wasn't the place to be.

Each player has motivations beyond the money to stay or go....it just so happened that a big motivation for Jermaine was Isaiah.

Marklar MM
05-08-2007, 01:55 PM
as Tony said...the only reason O'Neal re-signed was that he was assured that Thomas would remain coach. They signed O'Neal, then fired Isiah a little more than a month later.