PDA

View Full Version : A picture for all the media discounting Tim Duncan and the Spurs

scarab21
05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/327/timadjd7.jpg

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Who exactly is discounting Duncan and the Spurs?

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Who exactly is discounting Duncan and the Spurs?

no joke..

i wonder what his first post was...a pic of joe montana holding the lombardi trophy for all the doubters??

scarab21
05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
there seem to be a couple of posts about so called "experts" who are saying the spurs would have lost the game against phoenix had nash been in the game, inlcuding people even before the series saying that the suns will take it

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
There seems to have been a recent growth in the Perceived Disrespect department at SpursTalk. It's as if the Spurs have been disrespected if they're not in the midst of every basketball conversation taking place right now. It's as if the Spurs are being disrespected if the basketball media fails to annoit the Spurs as the likely champions.

It's remarkable, given how many around SpursTalk seem to take such great pride in the times when the Spurs are "flying under the radar."

If the Spurs win a championship, they'll get all kinds of respect. Until then, they're just like every other team left in these playoffs -- they're not reigning champions and they have to win at 11 more games to sieze this year's crown. That won't be easy with a formidable opponent like Phoenix as the immediate obstacle.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 12:04 PM
there seem to be a couple of posts about so called "experts" who are saying the spurs would have lost the game against phoenix had nash been in the game, inlcuding people even before the series saying that the suns will take it

Both of those are prefectly legitimate thoughts.

Can you say with 100% certainty that the Spurs would have won Game 1 if Nash had played the last minute of the game? Can you say with 100% certainty that the Spurs will win this series? I know that I can't, no matter how much I might root for and believe in the Spurs.

scarab21
05-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm not talking about the spurs "flying under the radar"....they do that every year and thats fine with me. I don't care if they are not in every basketball conversation. It just seems that when they are being discussed it's always "the spurs are too old, the spurs will lose...etc" or something along those lines.

longrod
05-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Skip Clueless was one. Well, he's is just that - Clueless. It is amazing that a mediocre bore like him has a gig at ESPN.

scarab21
05-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Both of those are prefectly legitimate thoughts.

Can you say with 100% certainty that the Spurs would have won Game 1 if Nash had played the last minute of the game? Can you say with 100% certainty that the Spurs will win this series? I know that I can't, no matter how much I might root for and believe in the Spurs.

They would be legitimate thoughts if they themselves had said the Suns MIGHT have won had Nash been on the court.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I always thought there was a bit of disrespect up until 1999. However, the Spurs did nothing to dissuade that until they won their first title. They took some shit for the 99 title, but any team that won it that year would have. I don't believe there is an anti-Spur bias out there in the media or the NBA. I don't believe anyone is "out to get" them. If you believe that the Spurs are getting disrespected, you are certainly entitled to your belief but think of it this way....like FWD said, if the Spurs win, the respect will come.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
They would be legitimate thoughts if they themselves had said the Suns MIGHT have won had Nash been on the court.

Huh?

So now your quarrel is with the certainty of someone else's opinion? My point is that you can't say with 100% certainty that the Suns wouldn't have won Game 1 with Nash available. If it's legitimate for you to say that the Suns wouldn't have won with or without Nash, it seems to me equally legitimate for an "expert" to say that the Suns "would" have won with Nash and lost because he wasn't available.

I might disagree with the expert's opinion, but my disagreement doesn't make the opinion illegitimate.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I think on the Nash issue, FWD and Scarab agree but from different angles. Anyone who says the Suns would have definetly won with Nash in at the end is stupid...no one knows for sure and never will.

Extra Stout
05-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Sigh... the downside to the deep playoff runs is the profileration of bandwagon takes.

samikeyp
Huh?

So now your quarrel is with the certainty of someone else's opinion? My point is that you can't say with 100% certainty that the Suns wouldn't have won Game 1 with Nash available. If it's legitimate for you to say that the Suns wouldn't have won with or without Nash, it seems to me equally legitimate for an "expert" to say that the Suns "would" have won with Nash and lost because he wasn't available.

I might disagree with the expert's opinion, but my disagreement doesn't make the opinion illegitimate.

Its the ferocity of the pomposity of the frustration over the situation which behooves and bewitches as well as similtaniously deceives yet overacheives the curiosity of the colostomy....if that's your bag.

:)

scarab21
Huh?

I never said that they would have lost had Nash still been on the court. Hell, anything could have happened either way. All I'm saying is that the media (some people not all), have been saying for certain that they would have won had Nash still been on the court.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
WTF is with the newbies showing up whining about respect?

Damn, I think it happens every year in the playoffs. A couple of beat writers aren't all over SA's nuts early in the playoffs and some rooks show up to cry about us not getting respect.

Who cares? It's round 2. Spurs win 11 more games and we'll have the respect we deserve.

TampaDude
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Its the ferocity of the pomposity of the frustration over the situation which behooves and bewitches as well as similtaniously deceives yet overacheives the curiosity of the colostomy....if that's your bag.

:)

Man...you just straight up metamucil! :lol

scarab21
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Sigh... the downside to the deep playoff runs is the profileration of bandwagon takes.

Oh, so because i've only just started posting here I'm a bandwagon fan?

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I think on the Nash issue, FWD and Scarab agree but from different angles. Anyone who says the Suns would have definetly won with Nash in at the end is stupid...no one knows for sure and never will.

Sure. My quarrel isn't necessarily with scarab -- it's more with those who get upset with an unequivocal opinion ("The Suns would have won with Nash.") while being absolutely certain in expressing just the opposite opinion ("The Suns would not have won, even with Nash.").

As a broader point, I think the effort to derive disrespect from the national media is ridiculous. For every "expert" who is even suggesting that the Suns would have won with Nash in the game late, I can find another (Marc Stein, for instance) who's perfectly willing to pimp the Spurs. While the Spurs aren't the reigning champions they (and the Pistons) are big bullies left in these playoffs, and it makes sense to me that some media-types would be willing to openly root against those teams for a variety of reasons. The opinions of those media guys are absolutely meaningless; but the writers have done their jobs, I guess, by getting some people riled up into a feeling of disrespect.

scarab21
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Sure. My quarrel isn't necessarily with scarab -- it's more with those who get upset with an unequivocal opinion ("The Suns would have won with Nash.") while being absolutely certain in expressing just the opposite opinion ("The Suns would not have won, even with Nash.").

As a broader point, I think the effort to derive disrespect from the national media is ridiculous. For every "expert" who is even suggesting that the Suns would have won with Nash in the game late, I can find another (Marc Stein, for instance) who's perfectly willing to pimp the Spurs. While the Spurs aren't the reigning champions they (and the Pistons) are big bullies left in these playoffs, and it makes sense to me that some media-types would be willing to openly root against those teams for a variety of reasons. The opinions of those media guys are absolutely meaningless; but the writers have done their jobs, I guess, by getting some people riled up into a feeling of disrespect.

That's absolutely fine for other members of the media to root for other teams, I don't see why everyone has to be a Spurs fan, but to not look at the game objectively is what annoys me.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Man...you just straight up metamucil!

You got the reference....excellent! :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
That's absolutely fine for other members of the media to root for other teams, I don't see why everyone has to be a Spurs fan, but to not look at the game objectively is what annoys me.

Again, that's the point FWD is trying to make. Everyone's biased. Let me guess, you're in HS still right? Get used to it, we live in a biased world.

FromWayDowntown

But who says they have to? Most of the "experts" whose views are being challenged are guys who aren't paid to be objective. They write columns that are intended to be controversial.

Again, I'm responding here just because I'm tired of seeing groups of threads and posts within threads complaining about a lack of respect. Wherever it might be lacking, the Spurs need to earn that respect.

TampaDude
You got the reference....excellent! :lol

It's a conspiracy, mah bruthah...a C-O-N.....spiracy! :lol

SAGambler
05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Well, barring another head butt incident, the Suns should have Nash for the entire game tonight. So let's see how the Spurs handle Nash for 48 and if they win or not.

Now with those stiches in place though, how much of a lick will it take to open that nasty gash back up again? BB can be a pretty rough sport, especially in those scrums for loose balls and rebounds. What's the chance Nash takes a lick on that nose and starts bleeding again?

scarab21
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Again, that's the point FWD is trying to make. Everyone's biased. Let me guess, you're in HS still right? Get used to it, we live in a biased world.

Actually I'm 3rd year university. I get that we live in a biased world, but there are just somethings that I don't see how people can't look past their bias to actually see the truth. But now this is just getting into personal views of things.

MoSpur
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I know Bill Walton said before the series started that Phoenix was the most complete team in the league and would beat the Spurs in the Western Conference semi-finals. He kept spitting when he was going on and on about the Suns. I know the series isn't over. Far from it, but he didn't have too much good to say about the Spurs. However, as a Spurs fan I'm use to not hearing about the Spurs. It doesn't upset me like it use to back in the mid-90's.

TampaDude
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Like Joakim said..."Keep hatin'!"

thispego
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, barring another head butt incident, the Suns should have Nash for the entire game tonight. So let's see how the Spurs handle Nash for 48 and if they win or not.

Now with those stiches in place though, how much of a lick will it take to open that nasty gash back up again? BB can be a pretty rough sport, especially in those scrums for loose balls and rebounds. What's the chance Nash takes a lick on that nose and starts bleeding again?
i guess it depends on what kind of bandaging they have on it. can't be too much or it will distract him.. too little and it'll start flowing again.... Nash just needs to be careful

KEDA
05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
that was an ADIDAS ad from 05

old news

conversekid
05-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Shouldn't be any intentional smacking of the nose going on... but if he drives to the lane, hard playoff fouls, hands/arms flying... good chance he will get whacked again. Good thing their not playing Denver or they'd be aiming for that honker.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
No one has talked about a forehead this much in the playoff's since the 2003 Finals and TJ Kidd. :)

duncan2k5
05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
the poster is right. teams like detroit get more props for being "champions" than the spurs do...and they only won one title since their bad boy days. every team we play in the playoffs, charles is the only one who expects us to win. i love it tho

Amare_32
05-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Who exactly is discounting the Spurs? If anything the Spurs are likely the favorites of the sports media to win the series. Of course the same people who are picking the Spurs to beat the Suns had Dallas beating Golden State.

Suns>Spurs
05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3420/spursgu2.jpg

T-Pain
05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/327/timadjd7.jpg
nice picture, but thats old...

sandman
05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Actually I'm 3rd year university. I get that we live in a biased world, but there are just somethings that I don't see how people can't look past their bias to actually see the truth. But now this is just getting into personal views of things.

Don't know any Americans who are in "3rd year university", so I'll assume that you are simply not undertanding the American media mindset in relation to your foreign sports "ethnocentricity". Don't forget that the Spurs are a small market team in the same playoffs with one of the biggest Cinderella teams in history (Warriors), the White Boy Super Squad team (Utah), the always exciting Suns, the street cred Pistons and the Annointed One on the Cavs. Frankly, there is just not much that can be written about the Spurs right now that can rival some of these other story lines. It's not disrespect, but rather a simple case of not being the story right now. Get through PHX and you'll see some love tossed their way.

Don Quixote
05-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure who's giving the Spurs all this "disrespect." Most of the talking heads are picking us to win it all. There are a couple of people (e.g, Vandeweghe) who are picking Phoenix, but whatever. I don't care.

And who cares who anyone's picking anyway? That's why we're in the playoffs, to determine who the better team is.

exstatic
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
You think the press writes the truth? That they even WANT to write the truth?
:lmao

They want to sell coverage, whether it's papers sold, or viewership.