PDA

View Full Version : Duncan happy to see Mavs go down

zocool16
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2863651

PHOENIX -- The next dunk thrown down by Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion or any other Sun you want to name will be the Suns' first dunk of the series.

Seriously.

That's how deeply Phoenix has been suffocated by its desert drought against San Antonio.

The Suns have yet to win a single home playoff game against the San Antonio Spurs in the Steve Nash era, but they reached new depths Sunday. In the Game 1 loss that extended that dry spell to 0-4, Phoenix didn't manage a single slam, either.

Mark that down as yet another illustration of the Spurs' unrivaled ability to prevent the Suns from being who they are against everyone else.

The modern game's answer to Showtime, remember?

It's typically foolish to overreact to one game in the second round, but that's the thing. It's not just one game when you're talking Suns and Spurs. A pattern has been established over the last three years, which is why Game 1, for confidence reasons, was a virtual must-win for the Suns.

When it comes to Tuesday night's Game 2, you can go ahead and scratch "virtual."

It's such a must from a Phoenix perspective -- and for the neutrals out there counting on this series to be as good as promised -- that even Tim Duncan couldn't stifle the urge to jab the Suns about the stakes.

"If we put these guys down 2-0, going back to our house, it puts some incredible pressure on them," Duncan says.

"I think there's some incredible pressure anyway with us up 1-0."

No matter how obvious such declarations seem, you never expect to hear Duncan pile on the hyperbole. But he's a rather giddy guy these days, breaking into a wider-than-usual grin when someone asked him to react to the Dallas Mavericks' first-round exit and sounding no less pleased that the Suns largely single-teamed him in the series opener.

The Suns are indeed planning to change their Duncan strategy somewhat by inserting Kurt Thomas into the starting lineup in place of James Jones, with Thomas expected to start on Duncan to spare Stoudemire from early foul trouble.

What Phoenix really needs, though, is better defense on the other Spurs if they're going to guard Duncan straight-up. TD is supposed to produce a 33-point, 16-rebound stat line when he's going one-on-one, no matter who's trying to defend him. The problem is Tony Parker adding 31 points to Duncan's total … and Michael Finley tacking on 19.

"It's almost Kobe-ish," Suns swingman Raja Bell said.

Translation?

You can get away with getting shredded by a Duncan or Kobe Bryant, Bell went on to explain, if you're "limiting other people's opportunities."

Another potential adjustment from Phoenix is giving Bell an opportunity or two to chase Parker around. Neither Marion's length nor Leandro Barbosa's speed bothered Parker in the opener … and ditto for the Suns' willingness to give the Frenchman as many jumpers as he wanted. Of Parker's 14 field goals, only three were layups. Seven of his baskets were jumpers in the 20-foot range.

The Suns' frustrated leaders, mind you, are banking on an attitude adjustment more than anything. Back in 2005, when Joe Johnson couldn't play because of a broken face, Phoenix didn't have nearly as much firepower and could rationalize losing Games 1 and 2 at home despite taking leads into the fourth quarter both times. But now that they're 4-12 overall against the Spurs since Nash rejoined them for the 2004-05 season, having surrendered their home-court advantage so quickly again, Mike D'Antoni and Nash are openly voicing their frustrations.

D'Antoni joined Nash on the day after in publicly questioning the Suns' hunger/effort/fire … although the contention here is that Phoenix is suffering most from self-belief issues against the Spurs.

From press row, it didn't look as though Stoudemire and Barbosa conspired to shoot a combined 2-for-13 in the fourth quarter of Game 1 because they didn't want it badly enough. The Suns, when San Antonio is on the other side, simply don't share D'Antoni and Nash's confidence that -- healthier than they've ever been in the Nash era apart from their QB's stitched-up nose -- they're finally ready to overcome their deficits in the size, chemistry and championship know-how departments to topple the Spurs.

"This is the toughest matchup for us," Nash says. "They've got more experience than us. They've got size [and] sort of a collective toughness you have to deal with."

Said D'Antoni: "I hate to say this, and I hope it [comes out] the right way. I think we have more talent than they do. I think that we're individually better."

But …

"Collectively," D'Antoni continued, "they're better right now."

Can that change over the course of seven games? If Stoudemire can beat microfracture surgery in such a short span, maybe anything really is possible.

Then again …

If the Suns can't get Game 2, it's probably not even a question worth asking.

D'Antoni's post-practice address to his team won't exactly hush the growing belief that the Nash-Stoudemire-Marion triumvirate will be dunked and dismantled if the Suns can't win this series.

Or at least make it a series.

Said D'Antoni: "I told them today, 'This could be your only chance in life to be a champion.'"

Extra Stout
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
So... not getting a slam dunk is worse than losing? C'mon, Marc, you're better than that.

judaspriestess
05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
for D'antoni to state this may be their ONLY chance to win a title is asanine.

They've got some young guys and in the process of building a decent bench.
The way Phoenix respects the Spurs speaks volumes about the class these players have. Good luck in game 2 Suns. Of course I'm still hoping for a win for the Spurs. We shall see :toast

itzsoweezee
05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
i'm not convinced that the suns are actually going to start paying more attention to duncan by putting thomas on him more. if finley and bowen are making their shots, the suns are going to ditch that plan quick and resort back to trying to outscore the spurs.

Phenomanul
05-08-2007, 12:37 PM
So... not getting a slam dunk is worse than losing? C'mon, Marc, you're better than that.

It was moreso a point of emphasis.... one that illustrates how the Spurs' style of play truly stiffles the Suns' style.

nkdlunch
05-08-2007, 12:41 PM

it's plain stupid. D'antoni does not know what the fuck he is doing.

SpursFanInCO
05-08-2007, 12:42 PM
I LOVE TIM! BTW they can stick whoever they want on him, it's that time of year and Timmy is clicking! There's no stopping #21!

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Wrong.

There are a lot of Suns fans that feel that this year is the best year for them to win a title. After this year, maybe one more good year is what you can count on for Nash. Nash is not getting any younger. Once he retires, the entire offensive system will have to be revamped, because it is built around him. That will take time, and close the window.

Phoenix is also looking at being over the luxury tax at least 10 million after this season. If Sarver does not want to pony up the extra 20 million, (which he wont, unless the Suns win the title) someone will get traded.

There may be some sweeping changes for the Suns if they don't win, so yeah. This may be their last year.

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Wrong.

There are a lot of Suns fans that feel that this year is the best year for them to win a title. After this year, maybe one more good year is what you can count on for Nash. Nash is not getting any younger. Once he retires, the entire offensive system will have to be revamped, because it is built around him. That will take time, and close the window.

Phoenix is also looking at being over the luxury tax at least 10 million after this season. If Sarver does not want to pony up the extra 20 million, (which he wont, unless the Suns win the title) someone will get traded.

There may be some sweeping changes for the Suns if they don't win, so yeah. This may be their last year.

they should start with the cOOOach..

Kobulingam
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Nash is getting old and his contract is running out. Suns payroll is ballooning. D'antoni is right.

G-Nob
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I know the suns have had a hard time with us in the playoffs the past few years but does Tony and Tim really need to be providing bulletin board material right now?

Phil Hellmuth
05-08-2007, 01:33 PM
in other news,

the grass is green

MannyIsGod
05-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Are Tony's teardrops counted as jumpers?

ducks
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
jumbers are 6 foot and more I think

Capt Bringdown
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Spurs can kill this franchise's title hopes for a long time. What an opportunity! It seems like just a minute ago, the media was lecturing us about how the Suns were re-inventing NBA basketball. Let's murder these creeps.

LEONARD
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Of course the Spurs players are glad the Mavs are out...why wouldn't they be???

phxspurfan
05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Spurs can kill this franchise's title hopes for a long time. What an opportunity! It seems like just a minute ago, the media was lecturing us about how the Suns were re-inventing NBA basketball. Let's murder these creeps.

Suns have re-invented. Just take a look at what the Warriors have done with a similar system.

Borosai
05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Said D'Antoni: "I told them today, 'This could be your only chance in life to be a champion.'"

Great coaching. :dramaquee

In life? What a loser.

exstatic
05-08-2007, 06:41 PM

They've got some young guys and in the process of building a decent bench.
The way Phoenix respects the Spurs speaks volumes about the class these players have. Good luck in game 2 Suns. Of course I'm still hoping for a win for the Spurs. We shall see :toast
People call us old, but their key pieces are 33 (Nash), 29 (Marion) and 24, with one 50 year old knee (Amare). Barbosa is a nice young piece, but he showed that he can't run the team in crunch time in the playoffs. He is not the Nash replacement, or at least they should hope not.

BillsCarnage
05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
This is the last time for this team.

With an estimated $10mil over the cap, 4 draft picks in one of the deepest drafts in years, Diaw, Jones and Marion/Amare trade bait - not to mention they'll beg KT not to take his player option, but he will.

So, yet another episode of the Suns merry-go-round off season is on the horizon.

I've mentioned this in other threads that if the Atl pick is 3-6 I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them package Amare or Marion AND the Atl pick to make a run at Oden.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Great coaching. :dramaquee

In life? What a loser.
Definitely lame. I wonder if Steve Nash rolled his eyes. He's got a little bit more perspective on what it means to be the ultimate competitor, and still understanding it's just a game. What is D'Antoni good for?

Nash should overthrow this figurehead/cheerleader's ass and be the first player/coach.

Marcus Bryant
05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
What's Duncan's handle here?

BigBeezie
05-08-2007, 09:13 PM

You're absolutely right. He is basically setting them up for failure. Hopefully they realize their coach is an idiot by now.

BigBeezie
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Nash should overthrow this figurehead/cheerleader's ass and be the first player/coach.

Sorry, Bill Russell was the first and last player/coach.

milkyway21
05-08-2007, 09:38 PM
this article shld have been titled "Suns Making It or Breaking Out Season" not "Duncan Happy to See the Mavs Go Down:read:
You don't know how happy Duncan is except the GRIN.

bonesinaz
05-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Suns have re-invented. Just take a look at what the Warriors have done with a similar system.

Nellie has been coaching run and gun and no D for years.