PDA

View Full Version : Truth or Fiction - Suns more Talent than Spurs

Rummpd
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
"Said D'Antoni: "I hate to say this, and I hope it [comes out] the right way. I think we have more talent than they do. I think that we're individually better."
(He does go onto say that collectively Spurs were better)
Widely quoted this is from ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2863651 (also posted on another part of site)

True or false that Suns really have more "talent'. If they do, it is not by much, and it comes down to the presumption that "pure jumping or mobility" in an athlete is talent. Sadly, for Suns fans = not true!

Spurs have the best big man in the game in Duncan period, and Amare, while very good is simply no Tim Duncan. Amare is still a physical beast, but Duncan has talents that just cannot be measured - being in the right place, long arms, soft touch on jumpers and the ability to read defenses.

Bowen is a defensive stopper par none and a fine 3 point shooter and although Marion is always considered such a great player by many - to me he is one of the over-rated players in the NBA, including his supposed defensive prowess.

Jones or Thomas get press but Oberto's savy play and Elston are competent and in these playoffs, I will take Robert Horry over either Jones or Thomas all day long.

Nash probably deserves a nod over Parker, but history shows that versus the Suns, Parker explodes and he is a far better defender than Nash. Almost a wash.

Raja Bell is a talent but in my opinion his first team NBA defensive selection was a joke. Night in and night out he is not as strong as some other perimeter defenders in the league. He is a good three point shooter but so is Finley who has revived his game and people forget how scary good of an all star Michael Finley was for years.

Manu Ginobili vs. Barbosa is a close call due to the latter speed and improved offensive game, but Manu has the inate "talent" of a winner and has proven over and over again he is clutch. He also can contribute in far more ways than Barbosa.

Perhaps the Suns have a little more left on the bench than the Spurs but in the playoffs rotations only really go 8 deep and before this series is over I would also not be surprised to see Brent Barry come in a reign some threes on the Suns.

Moreover, when all is said and done the Spurs will also win this series due to the greater talent of the coach to keep his emotions in check - Pop's talent will outcoach D'Antoni, as the system of the Spurs is superior and it is due in large part, to Pop.

MannyIsGod
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
The Suns have more pure talent on their team than the Spurs do and its not very close. If Amare were to be put into an enviroment where defense was required, the Suns would be a scary ass team.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Who cares? The Mavericks are the deepest team in the NBA. The Pistons had the most talented starting five in the league last year.

Rummpd
05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Why? What talents are you talking about????? "lack of defense" comes to mind.

Maybe Amare just doesn't also have the basketball IQ of Tim Duncan = that is a rarer talent than a pure jumper and dunker!

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
The Suns have more pure talent on their team than the Spurs do and its not very close. If Amare were to be put into an enviroment where defense was required, the Suns would be a scary ass team.

Absolutely agree. You put Popovich, on the Suns and you have a Lakers/Celtics type dynasty.

Oh, Gee!!
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
nash is a waaaay better all around PG than parker, and amare is way more athletic than duncan. other than that, I think the teams are pretty evenly matched

nkdlunch
05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
offensively yes. defensively they are miles behind Spurs

Rummpd
05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Watch the series and see who is again Nash's equal as a point guard. Put Parker on the Suns his assists would go up big time but they would not win more and vise versa.

nkdlunch
05-08-2007, 01:48 PM
once again D'antoni is not taking defense into account. smart coach.

twincam
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, people ask too many questions about comparisions. People in general will always be biased, and say that their favorite team is more talented than others. I'd say, let the best of 7 series answer everyone's wonders.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Why? What talents are you talking about????? "lack of defense" comes to mind.

Maybe Amare just doesn't also have the basketball IQ of Tim Duncan = that is a rarer talent than a pure jumper and dunker!

Again, defense is more about coaching, fundamentals, and being in the right position. Offense is much more talent based if you will.

There is a reason why you have a good defensive team, it most of it falls on the coaching scheme. Dallas went from being a terrible defensive team, to a pretty good one in a short time, with the same players by changing coaches and strategies.

ATXSPUR
05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I dont give a damn as long as we win.

George Gervin's Afro
05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Suns have more talent.

SAGambler
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
nash is a waaaay better all around PG than parker, and amare is way more athletic than duncan. other than that, I think the teams are pretty evenly matched

And yet Parker seems to always put up just as good if not better numbers. Go figure.

Oh, Gee!!
05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
And yet Parker seems to always put up just as good if not better numbers. Go figure.

Nash averages 6 more assists per game. That's not "just as good if not better numbers" by any stretch of the imagination.

leemajors
05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
this is hoopsworld worthy!

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't know. According to some, Tony Parker can rap.

Does Nash know how to tap dance or something?

Is Marion an accomplished ventriloquist?

What is meant by "talent"?

If, by talent, you mean basketball SKILL, then I'd say NO, the Suns are not any more talented than the Spurs.

nkdlunch
05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
D'antoni is talented at bitching

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 02:17 PM

:toast

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 02:18 PM

HHHIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
http://www.nba.com/media/euro_dantoni_122205.jpghttp://www.crestock.com/images/judgeross/247-worst.jpg

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 02:18 PM
HHHIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
http://www.nba.com/media/euro_dantoni_122205.jpghttp://www.crestock.com/images/judgeross/247-worst.jpg
:lmao

Mr. Peabody
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Nash averages 6 more assists per game. That's not "just as good if not better numbers" by any stretch of the imagination.

But Nash is on the other team, so he can't be better than TP.

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2007, 02:22 PM
But Nash is on the other team, so he can't be better than TP.
i dunt care who's better either way.....you measuring his offensive production on an offensive producing team .....can't compare apples with oranges...

BigBeezie
05-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I just listened to an UN-BIASED sports radio show today, and they said, "I think the Spurs just have more talent than the Suns. Period."

That being said, I kind of agree...but I think we're evenly matched. This could be a long series and could wear on the Spurs. Conversely, if the Suns lose tonight then it's pack your fucking bags, you can't win the big one buddy!!

D'antoni annoys me a lot. He isn't as bad as Phil Jackson but he needs to get over himself. He hasn't accomplished a whole lot with a two-time MVP running his offense. Take a lesson from the Spurs and d-up as a team. Don't bring in two guys (Bell and K. Thomas) and think that solves your problems.

bdictjames
05-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Its not about talent, rather effort and coaching.

DarrinS
05-08-2007, 02:24 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39672000/jpg/_39672335_head_coach200.jpghttp://duplexdude.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/chimp02.jpg

OldDirtMcGirt
05-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I think that talent wise both teams are about even. I'd give a the nod to the Suns first six players, but the Spurs have a much better bench and better roleplayers. The biggest disparity between the two teams is that the Spurs have the best coach in the game right now whereas the Suns have a retarded douche who runs around bitching at the refs and screaming random shit about energy and hustle.

sprrs
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Team USA had more talent than any of the competition. Did they win?

Obstructed_View
05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
David Robinson was the most talented person in the NBA in the last 20 years. Too bad he wasn't the best basketball player.

Mr. Peabody
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM

I would disagree with that statement. Teams USA was certainly more athletic than the rest of the teams, but they couldn't hit a jump shot to save their lives. Unfortunately, the other teams had talent that was more applicable to the international game, hence the bronze.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
David Robinson was the most talented person in the NBA in the last 20 years. Too bad he wasn't the best basketball player.

That point will be argued. I love David Robinson and everything about him. Are there really that many people that would argue that Robinson had more talent than Jordan or Magic?

mardigan
05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
That point will be argued. I love David Robinson and everything about him. Are there really that many people that would argue that Robinson had more talent than Jordan or Magic?
I think a lot of Spur fans would, he had as much talent as any basketball player Ive ever seen

sprrs
05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I would disagree with that statement. Teams USA was certainly more athletic than the rest of the teams, but they couldn't hit a jump shot to save their lives. Unfortunately, the other teams had talent that was more applicable to the international game, hence the bronze.

That can be applied to this series. The Suns don't have the right kind of talent (defense) to beat the Spurs on a regular basis.

Obstructed_View
David Robinson played a number of musical instruments, scored 1320 on the SAT, scored higher than anyone else at the naval academy in gymnastics (despite being 6'7" tall), walked on his hands the length of the basketball court on a dare and holds a degree in mathematics.

My point is that talent doesn't mean anything in a basketball game.

Oh, Gee!!

and probably attack you if they meet in you in person

Mr. Peabody
05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
David Robinson played a number of musical instruments, scored 1320 on the SAT, scored higher than anyone else at the naval academy in gymnastics (despite being 6'7" tall), walked on his hands the length of the basketball court on a dare and holds a degree in mathematics.

My point is that talent doesn't mean anything in a basketball game.

Sure it does. Robinson's athleticism is what separated him from the other 7-footers in the league. And the ability to shoot the ball with accuracy would be a hell of a talent to have during a game. Ditto for being quick and jumping high.

41times
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
The Suns have a slight edge man for man vs. the Spurs in regard to talent and individual abilities.

Where the Spurs excel and pass the Suns is with Coaching and playing better team defense.

And that is why the Spurs will win the series in 6 games.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
The Suns have a slight edge man for man vs. the Spurs in regard to talent and individual abilities.

Where the Spurs excel and pass the Suns is with Coaching and playing better team defense.

And that is why the Spurs will win the series in 6 games.

I completely agree with this post, and has been my statement the entire time.

NASHville
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Talent - Yes, I give the edge to the Suns.

2centsworth
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM

please elaborate.

05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I think you are reaching for something that isnt there. I dont think D'Antoni was trying to slight the Spurs. He went on to say...

"Collectively," D'Antoni continued, "they're better right now."

Borosai
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
The Suns have better scorers, not more talent (unless that's all talent is these days).

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/5279/stsunsclownsentow6.jpg

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM

great post my friend.BB is not about Individuals,its about coaching desicions and Teamīs chemestry.

ArgSpursFan
05-08-2007, 03:30 PM
to be honest the lakers have the most talented Individuals in the whole NBA.but they are fishing already.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
The Suns have better scorers, not more talent (unless that's all talent is these days).

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/5279/stsunsclownsentow6.jpg

Some of the photoshops on here are good. Not this one though.