PDA

View Full Version : Jet's Gone, Dirk will be back

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
DALLAS -- Mavs lose. Season finished. Lockers cleaned.

Before we officially traipse into that thrilling paradise of Cowboys minicamps, Rangers games and Barry Bonds, I need to clean out my Mavericks notebook.

Saturday proved to be especially illuminating.

Listening to coach Avery Johnson and his players attempt to sift through the rubble from what happened is not going to be nearly as painful as deciding what has to happen for next season.

A few thoughts:

* Jason Terry is gone, if the Mavs can find a willing partner.

What became painfully obvious against Golden State was, Dallas needs a true point guard. Terry is a lot of things -- a true point guard is not one of them.

Toss in Devin Harris and his development and this becomes complicated. Also painfully obvious.

“We’re going to have to make a hard decision there in terms of, ‘Is he going to be the full-time point guard?’” Avery admitted about Harris. “And then what am I going to do with Jet? So again, I’m willing to look at it. I would love to keep both of those guys on the team ... ”

Doing so is unlikely, especially post-Golden State.

The problem with unloading Jet, of course, is twofold: a) They really like him; and, b) He is one year into a six-year, $57 million deal. So either GM Donnie Nelson needs to work his “I can unload any contract” karma, or this may become very interesting.

* Why was Kevin Willis signed?

* Piling on Dirk Nowitzki has become a full-time, full-contact sport.

Not only has he been skewered locally but nationally, with ESPN’s Bill Simmons calling him “this generation’s Karl Malone, a fantastic NBA forward and future Hall of Famer .... and someone who might be missing that extra something when it matters.”

I don’t buy the comparison. Dirk is the NBA version of Peyton Manning, pre-Super Bowl victory. All he has proven so far is that he has not done it, not that he cannot. The question now is, how does he respond to what happened?

Talking to him Saturday, my guess is, pretty good.

“You know that’s the kind of person I am, to always take stuff very hard on myself,” Nowitzki said. “I don’t need media people to tell me I did bad. I know I didn’t play my best in the playoffs, and that’s disappointing to me the most. I’ll probably take a month off, then be back in the gym in June and work on my game more, become more of a complete player.”

What was most interesting was his response to my question about what it feels like to go from everybody’s MVP to supposedly not being able to play in a span of two weeks.

“I understand the business by now. If you play well and you win, you’re the greatest, and if you lose, you’re the worst player in the league,” he said. “I understand that. I’ve been in the business for nine years now. It’s obviously not the position I want to be in, but it’s nothing I can change now.”

He knows the only place to change the perception is next playoffs, and anybody who knows Dirk knows his summer will be dedicated to figuring out how.

http://www.star-telegram.com/388/story/93803.html

mardigan
05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I don’t buy the comparison. Dirk is the NBA version of Peyton Manning, pre-Super Bowl victory. All he has proven so far is that he has not done it, not that he cannot. The question now is, how does he respond to what happened?

I agree with this, and that they need to get rid of Harris and Jet.

sprrs
05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Seems like it's going to be either Harris or JET to go, not both.

mavsfan1000
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Another damn knee jerk reaction. Dallas doesn't need to blow up this team. They just caught a bad matchup and peaked at the wrong time. Same thing that happened to the Pistons.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Seems like it's going to be either Harris or JET to go, not both.

The Mavs would be better off without JET.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
The Mavs would be better off without JET.
I really think the Mavs would be better off without both

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
seems like they'll have a harder time getting rid of terry.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
didn't terry sign a new contract at the start of this year?

if he did, anyone know the terms...i.e. did cuban overpay?
The problem with unloading Jet, of course, is twofold: a) They really like him; and, b) He is one year into a six-year, $57 million deal. So either GM Donnie Nelson needs to work his “I can unload any contract” karma, or this may become very interesting.

Cry Havoc
05-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Drop 'em both. Jet is a chucker and Harris cannot play defense. If you have to keep one, keep Harris. He's more of a PG... even though I'm not sure if that's where he should be playing, either.

Islymore
05-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Well I would prefer it would be Terry... I think Harris could develop into something that might work in the Mavs future but I dont know...

Lewis on the other hand while sexy, he... IS NOT THE FATHER! *blinked into my Maury P. side*... No reason to get him unless he comes and Terry goes.

and if Harris was to be sent somewhere else too, my feelings would not be hurt, but I would take Harris over JET anyday.

ATRAIN
05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Well I would prefer it would be Terry... I think Harris could develop into something that might work in the Mavs future but I dont know...

Lewis on the other hand while sexy, he... IS NOT THE FATHER! *blinked into my Maury P. side*... No reason to get him unless he comes and Terry goes.

I agree about Harris, I see potential

mavsfan1000
05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I really think the Mavs would be better off without both
Well I think you're an idiot than. I'd much rather have Harris than Terry. Harris is a great defender and is willing to attack the basket unlike everyone else. Stackhouse is the one to go.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM

and if Harris was to be sent somewhere else too, my feelings would not be hurt, but I would take Harris over JET anyday.
Yea, Harris had potential, but he hasnt seemed to improve in 3 years in the league. He still isnt a good distributor, and he still cant shoot. He gets to the rim well, but isnt a good passer once he gets their. He plays good d, but relys on his flopping way to much to be a really good defender. I just think a prototypical point guard could take this team to a title.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Well I think you're an idiot than. I'd much rather have Harris than Terry. Harris is a great defender and is willing to attack the basket unlike everyone else. Stackhouse is the one to go.
Umm ok, well then I think your a joto. I didnt say that the Mavs wouldnt have to replace the point position, just that Terry and Harris are not the answer. If you could combine them into one player, then yea, but that player already exists, his name is Chauncy Billups

AFBlue
Another damn knee jerk reaction. Dallas doesn't need to blow up this team. They just caught a bad matchup and peaked at the wrong time. Same thing that happened to the Pistons.

Mavs may have run into a bad matchup, but it's those losses that push teams to make adjustments in the off-season. It's the same reason the Suns got Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell after 2005....they weren't tough enough.l

A key reason the Mavs lost because they didn't have an offensive low-post presence to make the easy bucket. That's something they will remedy this off-season, whether or not they use Terry or Harris to get it done.

Obstructed_View
Well I think you're an idiot than.
You are so incredibly stupid that it boggles the mind how you get the web browser to launch.

SpursDynasty
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
The only guys worth keeping for Dallas are Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris.

Throw out the so-called "big three" of Dirk, Howard, and Terry.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
You are so incredibly stupid that it boggles the mind how you get the web browser to launch.
:lol

AFBlue
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Tough to say which is better, Harris or Terry. All things considered, I'd go with Harris.

He does play better defense, seems to have a better understanding of how to run an offense, and isn't a horrible shooter. I know he's up for an extension soon as well, but I doubt it will be for as much as Terry currently makes ($10M per season).

The only question is what they get for Terry in return. His stock is extremely low after a letdown this playoffs, and his contract isn't the cheapest.

AFBlue
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Gone Too Far Forum....

Dirk isn't in the MVP discussion for no reason...dude has skills.

I would kill to have Howard's defensive tenacity and overall offensive game on the Spurs.

And Terry is a gunner who can make shots from anywhere on the court. I'm less sold on Terry, but he could be a great scorer on a less-than-stellar team.

ball_gyrl
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
booo on Harris. He can't even stand on his feet for a full minute during the game. As many "charges" as he tries to take.... they should buy him an ass pad and ship him out.

to21
05-08-2007, 03:22 PM
What's all this talk about the Jet being gone?

He's been on TNT for years now. You guys barely noticed?

mabber
05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Yea, Harris had potential, but he hasnt seemed to improve in 3 years in the league. He still isnt a good distributor, and he still cant shoot. He gets to the rim well, but isnt a good passer once he gets their. He plays good d, but relys on his flopping way to much to be a really good defender. I just think a prototypical point guard could take this team to a title.

Actually, he's improved in each of his 3 years (and it's quite apparent). He's still not far enough along for a 5th pick as he probably should be but he's definitely improved different parts of his game each year.

mavsfan1000
05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
:rolleyes Ok grammar police.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Actually, he's improved in each of his 3 years (and it's quite apparent). He's still not far enough along for a 5th pick as he probably should be but he's definitely improved different parts of his game each year.
His shot hasnt gotten much better, his points improved .3 in 4 extra minutes this year, his free throw attempts went down by one a game, his turnovers and fouls both went up (fouls by almost an extra 1 a game). His assists barely went up, and his assist to turnover ratio wasnt very good. Maybe he is progressing, but at this rate, your going to have to wait till he is 30 before he is a good all around point guard.

zrinkill
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM

I'm interested what's better for the team. Not what will make SpursDynasty sleep better at night. We have heard everything you have had to say. Mavs are overrated, 67 wins was a fluke, Dallas should have been the 8th seed if not for some lucky games, etc, etc, etc... stop saying the same things over and over. You sound like a damn robot....

LEONARD
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't see Jet going anywhere...or Harris. I just can't envision them blowing this team up really...and I'd be perfectly happy with that. George and Buckner are about the only 2 I wouldn't care too much about losing...

Thanks for chiming in, dipshit... :lol

zrinkill
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
It does not matter ..... The Mavs will never win the big series.

Karma is a bitch.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM

:dramaquee Your an idiot and your posts are shit. You would keep Stack over Howard and Dirk, right. Great insight retard

Karma is a bitch.
I really dont agree with this. If they get a leader on the court they could win it all as soon as next year.

LEONARD
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Karma is a bitch.

What does Karma have to do with anything??

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
What does Karma have to do with anything??

not a damn thing.

it's what people say when they can't form a coherent thought and type at the same time.

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 03:49 PM

Karma is a bitch.

All of your 96 posts look just about like this one.

Thanks for your input, though. :blah

stretch
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Harris cannot play defense.

You're fucking retarded.

LEONARD
05-08-2007, 04:02 PM
You're fucking retarded.

I thought that was funny too...Harris' defense certainly isn't his problem area...

ponky
05-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Umm ok, well then I think your a joto. I didnt say that the Mavs wouldnt have to replace the point position, just that Terry and Harris are not the answer. If you could combine them into one player, then yea, but that player already exists, his name is Chauncy Billups

:lol :lol :lol

anyway, mavsfan1000 or whatever, no one is talking about blowing up the team and it's pretty obvious that terry nor harris is getting done at the pg position....harris MAYBE because he's not far along in his development, although how much freakin' time does he need? didn't take parker this long but i'm more inclined to keep him over jet because he does provide some semblance of defense and if he could just actually take care of the ball and finish a lot more often with his layups that would be cool. stack, if the right offer came along, could be moved but i'm inclined to say keep him if you can. he has a lot of veteran experience, he's tough as nails which is why a lot of fans of other teams hate him, provides a spark off the bench and he's the only thing that kept us close in two of those games against the warriors. avery has done a good job of sitting him when he starts to go a little nutz with the one-on-one bball crap.

leemajors
05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
ponky, isn't stackhouse a FA?

mardigan
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
:lol :lol :lol

anyway, mavsfan1000 or whatever, no one is talking about blowing up the team and it's pretty obvious that terry nor harris is getting done at the pg position....harris MAYBE because he's not far along in his development, although how much freakin' time does he need? didn't take parker this long but i'm more inclined to keep him over jet because he does provide some semblance of defense and if he could just actually take care of the ball and finish a lot more often with his layups that would be cool. stack, if the right offer came along, could be moved but i'm inclined to say keep him if you can. he has a lot of veteran experience, he's tough as nails which is why a lot of fans of other teams hate him, provides a spark off the bench and he's the only thing that kept us close in two of those games against the warriors. avery has done a good job of sitting him when he starts to go a little nutz with the one-on-one bball crap.
I agree with everything stated in the above. I think that the Mavs just need a playmaker, and they dont have one. They have a bunch of guys that can score if set up, but not many that can create on their own. If they had Jason Kidd they would win a title next year

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
ponky, isn't stackhouse a FA?

<~~~~not ponky, but yes he is.

Amarelooms
05-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Your opinion is worth about as much as the shit I just took. You might be the dumbest motherfucker EVER...congrats :elephant

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree with everything stated in the above. I think that the Mavs just need a playmaker, and they dont have one. They have a bunch of guys that can score if set up, but not many that can create on their own. If they had Jason Kidd they would win a title next year

Getting Jason Kidd back would be insane.

mFFL03
sorry....Harris isn't Lebron James or Carmelo...

but damn he has improved over the last 3 years...his jump shot is looking better and better every year.

HE HAS ONLY BEEN IN THE LEAGUE 3 YEARS PEOPLE.....AND WE WANT SO MUCH MORE OUT OF HIM? get the hell outta here....

ratm1221
You're opinion is worth about as much as the shit I just took. You might be the dumbest motherfucker EVER...congrats :elephant

Too much info. Thanks for the visual though.

leemajors
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
SD/Looms cage match for worst poster?

Amarelooms
05-08-2007, 04:23 PM
SD/Looms cage match for worst poster?

Haha I am far from the worst poster genius....I act dumb to get a reaction out of people...SD is just a stupid cunt :elephant

mardigan
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Getting Jason Kidd back would be insane.
Right? Adding him at point on the Mavs would probably make even me a fan. He would add the leadership, playoff experience, and point skills that would make the Mavs just sick

leemajors
05-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Haha I am far from the worst poster genius....I act dumb to get a reaction out of people...SD is just a stupid cunt :elephant

keep telling yourself that - DARE TO DREAM!

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM

but damn he has improved over the last 3 years...his jump shot is looking better and better every year.

HE HAS ONLY BEEN IN THE LEAGUE 3 YEARS PEOPLE.....AND WE WANT SO MUCH MORE OUT OF HIM? get the hell outta here....

Yeah, he's no Parker either. But you're right, he has gotten better every year. He's definitely worth keeping around for at least 2 more years to see how he develops. He makes some bad choices sometimes, but Avery said he's going to work on that this offseason. Get that boy some smarts and if it doesn't sink in... THEN we might have to get rid of him.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM

3 years is a long time. I would expect a whole lot more than 10 and 3 assists from a 3rd year 5th pick in the draft. They either need to give him all the point minutes next year or get rid of him. They need to see what he can do with extended minutes because he didnt improve much at all statistically last year playing close to 4 more minutes a game

Dirk Nowitzki
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
:madrun :madrun I bet Stackhouse wont stay! He will make a bitch move and sign with the Rockets or Suns. I feel in my gut he will do that. Houston isnt too far from Dallas and they need a stackhouse type of player since Bonzi didnt work! God I hope I am wrong. :depressed :depressed

gtownspur
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Its funny to watch Mavfan defend a choker like dirk who squatted a huge terd in the playoffs, and then throw away Stackhouse who was the only one who had balls.

Just let them keep the dickless in dallas.

Amarelooms
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
:madrun :madrun I bet Stackhouse wont stay! He will make a bitch move and sign with the Rockets or Suns. I feel in my gut he will do that. Houston isnt too far from Dallas and they need a stackhouse type of player since Bonzi didnt work! God I hope I am wrong. :depressed :depressed

No way man...he'll either sign with the Mavs or a team that can win...ie Spurs, Pistons, etc :elephant

Amarelooms
05-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Its funny to watch Mavfan defend a choker like dirk who squatted a huge terd in the playoffs, and then throw away Stackhouse who was the only one who had balls.

Haha love people who jump on Dirk...Dirk did not choke...he is a tall UNATHELETIC WHITE GUY...you can't him expect to dominate when you double him with athletic 6'8" players who are quicker....just not his game. Not choking when you physically can't matchup. Mavs need a low post presence to punish teams from playing that way on Dirk. Also a good PG who could actually get the ball to Dirk when he's open would be ideal. :elephant

ratm1221
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM

It's called standing by your team. Dirk is my man as long as he wears a Mavs Jersey and last I checked he's still a Maverick. I haven't heard anyone say get rid of Stack. The question is, since he is a free agent can we keep him around.

dallaskd
05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Dirk was Peyton before his Super Bowl Ring
Phil Mickleson before his first major

longrod
05-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Dallas can shuffle their players around all they want but...if a team cannot do any better in the play-offs with that crew, somebody needs to look at the coach. Avery may become a great coach one day but at the moment he is not. Dallas better be prepared to wait at least 2-3 years until they have a shot again unless they get really LUCKY with their matchups.

dallaskd
05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Billiups would be an awesome replacement for terry if we were to ship off the jet in a deal for jermaine oneal or garnett..

schadenfreude52
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Billiups would be an awesome replacement for terry if we were to ship off the jet in a deal for jermaine oneal or garnett..

Billups would be more than an awesome replacement. He and Jason Kidd are the two players I'd really like to have playing for the Mavs.

sprrs
05-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Now that would be a bad move. Unless they seriously need the money, or he gets a huge offer from someone else, they should keep him. He's the only one I saw that seemed to give a damn against the Warriors.

sprrs
05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Haha love people who jump on Dirk...Dirk did not choke...he is a tall UNATHELETIC WHITE GUY...you can't him expect to dominate when you double him with athletic 6'8" players who are quicker....just not his game. Not choking when you physically can't matchup. Mavs need a low post presence to punish teams from playing that way on Dirk. Also a good PG who could actually get the ball to Dirk when he's open would be ideal. :elephant

Duncan had a bad matchup with Rasheed in '05. He didn't shy away from the ball, he downright demanded it even. Whether the shots went in or not, he wasn't afraid to take control. Dirk just plain old dissapeared.

AFBlue
05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Then Mavfans wake up....

Billups is a FA that will ask for max-type dollars from a team willing AND ABLE (which the Mavs are not) to pay.

And the Mavs would have to give up a hell of alot more than Jason Terry to get a superstar post player like O'Neal or Garnett...though the legit post player is exactly what the Mavs need.

confined
05-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Duncan had a bad matchup with Rasheed in '05. He didn't shy away from the ball, he downright demanded it even. Whether the shots went in or not, he wasn't afraid to take control. Dirk just plain old dissapeared.
imagine if portland did that deal that dallas proposed to them in 2004....jaimison for sheed...we wouldnt be having this convo right now

confined
05-08-2007, 05:47 PM
...and yeah get kidd in here now...anyone but dirk and howard....dirk + howard + kidd = balla greatness :clap

spurastic
05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey --maybe _allas could get Nash as a PG--ohhhh------ never mind.

mardigan
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
...and yeah get kidd in here now...anyone but dirk and howard....dirk + howard + kidd = balla greatness :clap
The salaries almost match up. Something like Terry+Diop for Kidd+Collins would work salary wise

confined
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
The salaries almost match up. Something like Terry+Diop for Kidd+Collins would work salary wise
where do we sign? :spin

Suns>Spurs
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
where do we sign? :spin

Crap>>>>>>>Collins

ducks
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
cuban is looking like an idiot letting nash walk

confined
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
imagine the dallas and suns games....nash vs kidd...its what stern would want

aaronstampler
05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
why are we talking about some loser team?

dg7md
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Clearly Spurs fans know the Mavs more than Mavs fans.

confined
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
why are we talking about some loser team?
ok....

Findog
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Clearly Spurs fans know the Mavs more than Mavs fans.

Way to paint with a broad brush there, buddy.

ducks
05-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Then Mavfans wake up....

Billups is a FA that will ask for max-type dollars from a team willing AND ABLE (which the Mavs are not) to pay.

And the Mavs would have to give up a hell of alot more than Jason Terry to get a superstar post player like O'Neal or Garnett...though the legit post player is exactly what the Mavs need.
why the hell would the pistons give you billups :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

SpursDynasty
05-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Dirk has to go. Terry has to go. If you must, keep Howard. Keep Stackhouse and Harris.

Dirk cannot and will not win a championship unless the other team is injured. I mean...you had Miami in a 2-0 deficit. You won 67 games and got the #1 seed. It doesn't get any easier than having Miami in the Finals, or getting the #1 seed. If you fail on both occasions it means you're just not good enough. Failed on both occasions. It's not gonna happen with Dirk leading the team.

How about: Dirk for Kobe. Then you'll get a championship. I'm sure the Lakers would be glad to trade Kobe for Dirk. Dirk is the MVP after all, right?

dg7md
05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Way to paint with a broad brush there, buddy.

Hey, I'm on your side in this case!

Findog
05-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey, I'm on your side in this case!

It's hard to tell sometimes. Us Mavs fans tend to be a defensive bunch these days. Our team is getting shat upon constantly, and not exactly without merit.

Amarelooms
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Dirk has to go. Terry has to go. If you must, keep Howard. Keep Stackhouse and Harris.

Dirk cannot and will not win a championship unless the other team is injured. I mean...you had Miami in a 2-0 deficit. You won 67 games and got the #1 seed. It doesn't get any easier than having Miami in the Finals, or getting the #1 seed. If you fail on both occasions it means you're just not good enough. Failed on both occasions. It's not gonna happen with Dirk leading the team.

How about: Dirk for Kobe. Then you'll get a championship. I'm sure the Lakers would be glad to trade Kobe for Dirk. Dirk is the MVP after all, right?

Since you repeats yourself every post...here's to you douche bag:

Your opinion is worth about as much as the shit I just took. You might be the dumbest motherfucker EVER...congrats :elephant

Findog
05-08-2007, 10:33 PM
cuban is looking like an idiot letting nash walk

Hindsight, yes, very much so, but not for the reason you think. It was a defensible decision at the time. I don't think he would be a much different player than he was when he was here, which was a borderline All-Star, not a two-time MVP. That system in Phoenix is the perfect vehicle for him. Instead of penetrating and kicking it out to jumpshooters, he's running a fastbreak with forwards going to the basket like they were guards. And yes, caveats apply about how horrible Dirk was against Golden State, but he's a much better player now than he was with Nash. Without him, he's had to learn how to create for himself without Nash setting him up. Face it, our point guards are not good distributors. Dirk is the best passer on this team, and that's saying something.

Nash was 31 years old, he had a history of not being durable, and he had been repeatedly schooled by Mike Bibby and Tony Parker in the playoffs. What has come back to bite us in the ass is not his potential lost contributions to Dallas, but the fact that he strengthened a conference competitor from playoff bubble team to elite championship contender. And if the Suns fall short against San Antonio, their 3-year run will pale in comparison to ours, which of course will pale next to San Antonio's.

I'm beginning to think that the playoffs are all about matchups and a case of rock-paper-scissors. Golden State was put together specifically to beat a team like Dallas, whereas Dallas was engineered and put together to beat Detroit, San Antonio and Miami. I fear that the Mavs will do something rash and completely retool their roster to beat the Golden States of the NBA, when they need to keep in mind that the roster they had DID win 67 games and did what it was supposed to, which was beat San Antonio in a seven game series. Had we advanced to the conference finals, I think a series with the Spurs would've once again gone seven games and we stood a good chance of repeating last year.

Still, after what happened, we can't just stand pat.

SpursDynasty
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Since you repeats yourself every post...here's to you douche bag:

So you don't want Kobe on your team? Kobe for Dirk. Kobe won't win with his current team, and Dirk won't win with his current team. It's an even trade.

Amarelooms
05-09-2007, 12:35 AM
So you don't want Kobe on your team? Kobe for Dirk. Kobe won't win with his current team, and Dirk won't win with his current team. It's an even trade.

Kobe >>> Dirk genius...Kobe is a GUARD he can create his own shots. I want you to stop posting your garbage takes about the Mavs :elephant

Islymore
05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Well... I think Stack plans to be in Dallas next year *at least another year*. He has voiced it in most media outlets and I see him really enjoyin' his playin time and what he brings to the court. *Plus, it makes him look hella good the way he's comin off the bench and lightin it up like he does and that always makes other teams interested, smart of him*

Anyway - I agree with Mardi and Ponky on Harris. I think the dude could become something, but do the Mavs really want to wait for him to blow up? My only concern is that maybe it's Avery's system that he doesnt want to adjust to...? And maybe that is why he isnt developing like a #5 pick would. Jumpshot - unreliable at best. Defensively - yeah he picks up a needed charge here and there and sometimes gets ways with a steal, but for the most part he picks up more fouls in a smaller amount of time than any other player I have seen. And he needs to work on his brakin' bc he gets runnin and seems like he cant stop sometimes, needing another player to brace his fall. Just IMO tho. But I would still take him over Terry.

Honestly - both of them could go if you asked me. I could care less about gettin Kobe - I am not a fan, never have been, never will be. Even if he became a MAV, he still would not be a player I rooted for. While I'm not denyin his skills - I just plain dont like Kobe. So he can stay a Laker til the day he dies. But thass just me. Kidd - hey if the Mavs could get him, I'll take him as long as he doesnt bring all that drama from the wife with him *ha*. At least then we could have someone who could run down the lane, draw some defenders, and kick it back out... WHICH WE DONT HAVE AT ALL NOW!!!!! Terry plain sucks at passing, Harris is a turnover machine... so what do Mavfans really want done? Nothing? Outside of keeping Dirk, Howard, Stack... who else? I would keep Diop. Uhm, from there tho - everyone is tradeable in my book... but again, thass just me. And we still need someone who can get it done low post... But who am I?

LEONARD
05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
SpursDynasty reaches new heights every day... :lol

NBA Junkie
05-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Nash probably would have been the guy that got the Mavs over the Warriors, but I'm not sure they ever would have won a title had he stayed.

johngateswhiteley
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Kobe >>> Dirk genius...Kobe is a GUARD he can create his own shots. I want you to stop posting your garbage takes about the Mavs :elephant

are you 8 years old?

ratm1221
05-09-2007, 09:44 AM
are you 8 years old?

Speaking of... is that the age of the boy in your avatar picture?

z0sa
05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I just think a prototypical point guard could take this team to a title.

What do you think Nash was? The problem is Dirk. If he comes through and carries that team on his back like he should of, Golden St. does not win the series, and Miami doesnt win in the Finals.

MajorMike
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
They wanna PG? I hear Smush is available.

BigBeezie
05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Dallas should sign Jason kidd and trade Jason Terry for Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar and a Snickers bar.

That's my only advice for Cuban. Kidd is old, but is still very good.

Islymore
05-09-2007, 10:45 AM
What do you think Nash was? The problem is Dirk. If he comes through and carries that team on his back like he should of, Golden St. does not win the series, and Miami doesnt win in the Finals.

Okay... Nash obviously was not the player he is now for Dallas. I'm not certain Nash would have fit into the style they developed anyway and I doubt Dirk would have developed like he did if Nash was still here.

While Nash may be the perfect point guard NOW... who's to say he would have made those same changes in Dallas. Nobody. He's gone now. And I still say good riddance. Nash was always fallin apart at the end of the season in Dallas, he got to PHX and decided to fix himself to fit that system... And kudos to him for doin so - but I doubt he would have done the same in Dallas.

fitzgerald
05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Okay... Nash obviously was not the player he is now for Dallas. I'm not certain Nash would have fit into the style they developed anyway and I doubt Dirk would have developed like he did if Nash was still here.

While Nash may be the perfect point guard NOW... who's to say he would have made those same changes in Dallas. Nobody. He's gone now. And I still say good riddance. Nash was always fallin apart at the end of the season in Dallas, he got to PHX and decided to fix himself to fit that system... And kudos to him for doin so - but I doubt he would have done the same in Dallas.

Maybe or maybe not. One thing is for sure, we don't have a decent point guard! Do you not remember how our turnovers were very low while Nash was here? How our assists were high? Our defense sucked but we have more defenders now and a coach who demands defense. Makes you wonder what could have been.

baseline bum
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't like Stackhouse at all. He has the right attitude of wanting to take big shots and all, but he never hits them, and always makes dumb-ass plays that cost his team (for example, the flagrant on Shaq or the late travel in game 4 in Oakland). He's being overrated because he looked good in comparison to the star players who didn't show up, kind of like how we all overrated Antonio Daniels in 2001, when Duncan and Robinson laid down against the Lakers.

I don't get all the Terry bashing. He wasn't the problem in the GS series, and he's always shown up for Dallas in big games. He was a big part of them coming back from 0-2 against Houston in 2005. He iced game 4 of the series against the Spurs last year. He stepped up in a major way in game 5 of last year's Finals in a must-win when his boy Dirk was a no-show again. Terry's not the star player, so he's not expected to be great every night, but he's incredibly dangerous, and someone any team in the league would want in a supporting role.

mabber
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Dallas should sign Jason kidd and trade Jason Terry for Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar and a Snickers bar.

That's my only advice for Cuban. Kidd is old, but is still very good.

He absolutely sucked last night.

baseline bum
05-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Dirk was always a big postseason guy when Nash was on Dallas. Nowitzki has disappeared at bad times every year since he's been gone. First, he didn't show up at the beginning of the Rockets series in 2005, and blamed Dampier for it. Then there was the Finals... and now, this was a pathetic choke against the Warriors. The guy played like a bitch the whole series.

mabber
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Dirk was always a big postseason guy when Nash was on Dallas. Nowitzki has disappeared at bad times every year since he's been gone. First, he didn't show up at the beginning of the Rockets series in 2005, and blamed Dampier for it. Then there was the Finals... and now, this was a pathetic choke against the Warriors. The guy played like a bitch the whole series.

True, but he's had several really good playoff series during the same stretch.

The fact of the matter is that until/unless Dirk gets a low post game there are some matchups which will slow him down. He's 7ft tall and not good enough to create his own shots (other than shooting long jumpers over people). Some Spurs fans really struggle with this as they see him abuse their team most times they play. That's just because the Spurs are a good matchup for him. The Mavs either need to get a really good low post scorer to compliment Dirk or he needs to get a good low post game (which I don't see happening).

Islymore
05-09-2007, 11:21 AM
^I dont see that developin' either Mabber... altho - he might shock the world next season. *Might be a bit of wishful thinkin*

I'm not sayin Nash wouldnt make this team better - but if we had Nash *just for shits*... do you think we would be the team we are? does anyone think the Mavs style of play would be the same? I don't. I don't think Nash fits into the system AJ wants. Maybe he would - you never know.

Of course I remember how low our turnovers were and how high our assists were - but again, were we playin the same offensive/defensive style then? You cant factor in what used to be into this system they play now - it wouldnt be the same. Who knows, it could be better, it could be worse.

Dirk still upped his game when Nash left. They both became two completely diff players. Makes me wonder were they hindering each other here in Dallas. He may disappear in the post season but... I would take Dirk still. He just needs to get some low post skills....

BillsCarnage
05-09-2007, 12:06 PM
The Dallas "big three"

Nash era - Dirk, Nash, Finley

Today - Dirk, Terry, Howard

Who is the one person common to both big three's? I"m not blaming Dirk for this choke job, but they've put a variety of supporting cast around him and still zilch.

Findog
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
The Dallas "big three"

Nash era - Dirk, Nash, Finley

Today - Dirk, Terry, Howard

Who is the one person common to both big three's? I"m not blaming Dirk for this choke job, but they've put a variety of supporting cast around him and still zilch.

Winning 8 playoff series and going to the Finals isn't "zilch." If your goal is to win a title, then so far, it's ultimately a failure, but let's keep things in perspective here. He's been clutch in the postseason before. Dirk's record in Game 7/best of five Game 5: 5-0.

We have 18 million threads bashing Dirk and none bashing Zach Randolph, Stephon Marbury or Vince Carter. We're holding Dirk to a pretty high standard.

Islymore
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
^ but do you compare Randolph, Carter, and Marbury to Dirk? Just askin... Not meant to be funny... =

Findog
05-09-2007, 12:24 PM
^ but do you compare Randolph, Carter, and Marbury to Dirk? Just askin... Not meant to be funny... =

I'm just stating that the amount of criticism and vitriol directed Dirk's way is a little out of proportion. He deserves plenty of criticism for his disappearing act against Golden State, but last I checked, he's humble, he works hard on his game, he's a good teammate, he doesn't demand all the credit when things go well, or throw his teammates under the bus when it doesn't, nor does he draw attention to himself or provide opposing teams with "bulletin board" material...maybe you need to be a bit of an asshole or have an "alpha dog" temperment to lead a team to a title, and Dirk is definitely a nice guy.

But the bash Dirk incessantly meme is getting a little tiresome, especially when you neglect his entire body of work.

mardigan
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm just stating that the amount of criticism and vitriol directed Dirk's way is a little out of proportion. He deserves plenty of criticism for his disappearing act against Golden State, but last I checked, he's humble, he works hard on his game, he's a good teammate, he doesn't demand all the credit when things go well, or throw his teammates under the bus when it doesn't, nor does he draw attention to himself or provide opposing teams with "bulletin board" material...maybe you need to be a bit of an asshole or have an "alpha dog" temperment to lead a team to a title, and Dirk is definitely a nice guy.

But the bash Dirk incessantly meme is getting a little tiresome, especially when you neglect his entire body of work.
Dude, Im sorry, I really do like Dirk, but when you are the leagues MVP leading your team to one of the best records in league history and you go out in the 1st round, you are going to get shit talked about you. Randolph and Carter and those guys are on shit teams and everyone knows it, Dirk is on a powerhouse. When your the best player on the best team and you fall apart, you are going to get torn a new asshole no matter how nice of a guy you are

Islymore
05-09-2007, 12:32 PM
^I agree.

When your the best player on the best team and you fall apart, you are going to get torn a new asshole no matter how nice of a guy you are

And you deserve to be called on it as well.

mabber
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Dude, Im sorry, I really do like Dirk, but when you are the leagues MVP leading your team to one of the best records in league history and you go out in the 1st round, you are going to get shit talked about you. Randolph and Carter and those guys are on shit teams and everyone knows it, Dirk is on a powerhouse. When your the best player on the best team and you fall apart, you are going to get torn a new asshole no matter how nice of a guy you are

Yeah, Dirk deserves to be called out on this latest failure but to totally disregard his career playoff record (success) is ridiculous. He's had great success in the playoffs (particularly in game 7's).

Islymore
05-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Dirk deserves to be called out on this latest failure but to totally disregard his career playoff record (success) is ridiculous. He's had great success in the playoffs (particularly in game 7's).

i agree with this too. And while it may be great to consider his playoff success in the past - you have to wonder how this most recent failure will factor into his future success/failures. it's a given now that any team in the NBA knows how to expose him now for sure and that many teams will try to throw the same defense at him next season...

but i'm with most of you guys. i think he needs to be called out on it, but i dont think his past should be forgotten. but... can we continue to think about the past and how it relates to now?

mabber
05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
i agree with this too. And while it may be great to consider his playoff success in the past - you have to wonder how this most recent failure will factor into his future success/failures. it's a given now that any team in the NBA knows how to expose him now for sure and that many teams will try to throw the same defense at him next season...

but i'm with most of you guys. i think he needs to be called out on it, but i dont think his past should be forgotten. but... can we continue to think about the past and how it relates to now?

That's easier said than done. NBA teams already knew this but most don't have the players to be able to do it successfully.

Islymore
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
hey... you may be right. and i will just have to wait and see how it all plays out... i still think it may be a bigger issue going into next season if he doesnt come up with something...

and who are you? i been tryna figure it out for the longest. are you on MT?

JamStone
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
The chances of Dallas getting Jason Kidd or Kobe are obviously next to zero if not completely zero. I don't think New Jersey trades Kidd to Dallas for anything short of Dirk Nowitzki, and then that trade would make no sense for Dallas.

If what many say is true that Dallas needs some mental toughness, then they need to pursue players that can provide that but are also realistic trade acquisitions or free agents.

The guys Dallas should go after are guys like Ruben Patterson, Bonzi Wells, and Desmond Mason. Patterson is especially tough mentally and will mix it up inside. The Mavs don't need another shooter. With Dirk, Terry, Stack, and Howard, they have outside shooting covered. Patterson is a small forward that gets offensive rebounds, backs down players in the paint, and runs the floor. He doesn't need plays called for him to make an impact on the game. And, despite his short stature, he could play the power forward spot in a small ball line-up. Bonzi Wells, if he's kept himself in shape, plays big in big games. He rebounds well for a guard, and he mixes it up in the lane as well. Desmond Mason can't shoot well, but he does all the little things to help a team win. All three are solid to very good defenders. They would complement both Dirk and Josh Howard very well, in my opinion. Plus, they would not cower in the face of challenge and defensive pressure in a playoff game.

The Mavs also need a big combo forward who can play with Dirk if the team went smaller. Someone like Danny Granger would fit the bill, though he's not available. Dallas needs that Shawn Marion, Gerald Wallace guy who can defend the 2-guard and either forward position and still be a force on the glass. Ironically, free agent Matt Barnes would be the type of guy Dallas could use. Perhaps they could work something out to get Hakim Warrick from the Grizzlies or get Eduardo Najera back. Devean George did not work out with that role.

JamStone
05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
That's easier said than done. NBA teams already knew this but most don't have the players to be able to do it successfully.

The players or the ability to coach that style of play Don Nelson taught his team to employ. Golden State was successful also because his perimeter players played tough on defense and his guards rebounded well. It wouldn't have worked if the Warriors couldn't have rebounded defensively.

Islymore
05-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I would definitely take Matt Barnes @ JAMSTONE

mabber
05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
hey... you may be right. and i will just have to wait and see how it all plays out... i still think it may be a bigger issue going into next season if he doesnt come up with something...

and who are you? i been tryna figure it out for the longest. are you on MT?

You talking about me? I'm not on Mavs Talk.

Islymore
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
You talking about me? I'm not on Mavs Talk.

man, you sound like this guy from that board... sorry. just wondering.

ducks
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
shawn marrion would be avaible soon

StylisticS
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Desmond Mason can't shoot well, but he does all the little things to help a team win.

I think that's basically a done deal right now. Dallas wants him and he wants to go back home to the Dallas area. I like Desmond as well for the things you just said. But I will turn away from the tv when he shoots free throws. :lol

Dirk Nowitzki
05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Desmond Mason, Patterson etc etc is nice and cute but it doesnt fill our biggest need....A CONSISTENT LOW POST SCORER! None of those guys provide that. We need that more than anything. Zach Randolph, Chris Wilcox, someone of that caliber

jmard5
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
What would happened to "Harris as the best defensive point guard" project?