PDA

View Full Version : Nash not so valuable?

biba
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Nash not so valuable?
Valley fan doubts Suns' title shot with 2-time MVP at the helm
Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
May. 7, 2007 12:00 AM

He is a back-to-back Most Valuable Player of the NBA and an All-Star.

We just read where he shows up at hospitals in the middle of the night after a big game and hugs strangers.

He helped build a pediatric wing at a hospital in Paraguay.

His mom told us once that he always ate his vegetables, even as a little kid.

He works hard, he plays hard, he comes through in the clutch.

And if you don't think he is tough, you did not see him trying to play with his nose hanging off his face in Game 1 on Sunday.

So how can anybody who loves the Suns hate on Steve Nash?

OK, to be fair, Marc McCain, a Valley attorney and lifelong Suns fan who sits not far from the Suns bench, does not really hate Nash.

He said he does not dislike coach Mike D'Antoni, either, although he often snipes at him about his game strategy.

But he is not convinced that Nash and D'Antoni are headed toward a championship, either.

"I'm 39, and the Suns came here in 1968," he said. "In my mind, we're no better than the Cubs. We're still looking for a championship. I want to win a championship.

"My point on Nash, if you look at the stats - and I did a whole statistical analysis on it - he tends not to outplay the opposing team's point guard when they're a good point guard.

"When you're a two-time MVP, you can't break even on your matchup. Dirk Nowitzki is taking all this crap right now for the Mavericks' loss because he didn't rise to that level.

"My point is, in this series, we're going to rise as much as Steve Nash does."

We pointed out that Nash is considered a Most Valuable Player-caliber player because he makes other players around him better, something, incidentally, that Larry Bird pointed out to Republic columnist Dan Bickley.

"I don't understand that whole argument," McCain said. "Is he making Joe Johnson better now? Is he making Dirk Nowitzki better right now? He doesn't play with them anymore.

"I understand his ability. He's the Peyton Manning of the NBA, and I love all that. But there's a reason he's not guarding Tony Parker.

"To me, there's two sides to the court, and why can't a guy bigger than Parker play him straight up? It forces our whole team to play out of position.

"We have a power forward playing center and a small forward playing power forward. I don't know everything, but it's untraditional basketball. It's fun. It's 60 wins. But I want to win a championship.

"I'm still not quite sold. I love Mike. And if Nash outplays Tony Parker at the level he should as the two-time MVP, I think we'll win the series. If not, I think we're going home."

We'll give McCain his statistics, his opinion and the Spurs Game 1.

But we'll take Nash every time.
------------------------------------------------

If Phoenix fan(s) doubt their own team and 2 time MVP ...

Amare_32
05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I take it he is already jumping off the bandwagon. :lol

Durruti
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
:dizzy

In 2003-04 the Phoenix Suns won 29 games. They had Stat. They had Marion. They had coach D and his beloved system. In the summer of 2004 the Suns signed free agent point guard Steve Nash. With Nash on board the Suns improved to 62 wins in 2004-05, one of the biggest leaps made by an NBA team in the history of the league.

Without Nash it's doubtful the Suns would even make the playoffs. Maybe an 8th seed.

The only interesting thing about this article is that it was published. Shows what douche bags some sports writers are and how ungrateful some fans are. They'll turn on you quicker than a rabid dog. Shameful.

Amare_32
05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
:dizzy

In 2003-04 the Phoenix Suns won 29 games. They had Stat. They had Marion. They had coach D and his beloved system. In the summer of 2004 the Suns signed free agent point guard Steve Nash. With Nash on board the Suns improved to 62 wins in 2004-05, one of the biggest leaps made by an NBA team in the history of the league.

Without Nash it's doubtful the Suns would even make the playoffs. Maybe an 8th seed.

The only interesting thing about this article is that it was published. Shows what douche bags some sports writers are and how ungrateful some fans are. They'll turn on you quicker than a rabid dog. Shameful.

Exactly and even with Nash coming back to Phoenix alot of people did not expect much from the Suns much less win 62 games and make it to the West Finals. Even Sports Illustrated had the Suns not even making the playoffs.

timvp
05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe Ludden should interview rascal.

Durruti
05-08-2007, 06:37 PM
And let's not forget -- even with Amare injured all last year -- Nash managed to take the Suns to the WCF, something NO ONE predicted. When Amare went down virtually every expert wrote the Suns off. The Suns didn't have much of a chance of winning without Amare but just getting there was astonishing. It's a team game, Nash is just one piece but he's a vital piece. His teammates deserve the highest credit but to think that the Suns would be better off without him is pure lunacy and surely the sign of a demented mind with zero bball IQ.

samikeyp
05-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Nash is a stud. I actually think he is better than he was in Dallas.

As long as Nash is in the game, the Suns always have a chance.

dreamcastrocks
05-08-2007, 07:15 PM
They forgot to mention that the person being interviewed already had a half a dozen drinks.

Seriously, I don't know if he had anything to drink that night, but if not he is definitely smokin' something.