PDA

View Full Version : Eerily reminiscent of 2006?

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM
To this point, the complexion of the series is fairly similar to where we stood after 2 games against Dallas in 2006. The Spurs eek out a gutsy Game 1 win with some good 4th quarter execution and some poor decision-making by the opponent. The opposing team coach makes a fundamental change to his starting lineup in Game 2. Duncan gets in foul trouble before the half of Game 2. The Spurs play a non-competitive 2nd half of Game 2 and end up getting run out of the building. The series is tied.

One major difference for the Spurs might be the fact that they're coming home with a split, rather than going out on the road with a split. And to their credit, the Spurs actually did bounce back pretty well in Games 3 and 4, and really could have won either of them. Still, close isn't going to cut it this time around.

Budkin
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Coming home is going to be much easier... and if it weren't for the bail out calls we would have taken Game 3 and 4 against the Mavs last year.

DarrinS
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Manu needs to show up.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-09-2007, 12:38 AM
yeah, if we had hca it woulda bene eerie, but considering the next 2 are in SA we'll be fine

Tek_XX
05-09-2007, 12:39 AM
We're in a better position than last year

boutons_
05-09-2007, 12:42 AM
5 games left, 3 @ATT, Spurs need to go back to PHX up 3-1. They absolutely must deny the Suns a split.

L.I.T
05-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Superficially...yes. But, as others have pointed out, we're coming back home with a split.

What's most worrying is that we're 7 games into the post season on we still haven't gotten the big three on-track. Brrr.

timvp
05-09-2007, 01:39 AM
This is what has me wondering whether this is the beginning of the end for the Spurs. Before last year, I'd have confidence that this team would be fine with 1-1 start to a series against a powerhouse team. But this is so deja vu it's not even funny.

Spurs squeak out a win in Game 1 that could have gone either way. Last year, if Stackhouse hits that three, the Mavs could have won it. This year if Nash doesn't get hurt, the Suns could have won it.

After the game, there was talk of a lineup change. In both years Spurs fans celebrated and laughed at the other team saying that it was a desperation move and how it'd never work.

Then in Game 2, the Spurs got their azz blown away with the lineup change paying immediate dividends.

Last year, Pop probably overreacted to the Game 2 loss and the Spurs never recovered. Could that happen this year?

I'm not sure but it seems like I've seen this movie before.

timvp
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
This has no other Spurs fans concerned?

Interesting.

dbreiden83080
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Interesting.

Come on in the first half how many easy shots did the Spurs miss like a million. They came out in the 2nd half and played lackluster from the start. Nobody thought we were winning both in Phoenix. If i told you before the series we will win a close game 1 and lose big in game 2 you would not have taken that.

baseline bum
05-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Interesting.

Answering a thread like this is akin to bandwagon jumping to the Church of Manu. I hope to hell you're wrong here.

SpursDynasty
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
To this point, the complexion of the series is fairly similar to where we stood after 2 games against Dallas in 2006. The Spurs eek out a gutsy Game 1 win with some good 4th quarter execution and some poor decision-making by the opponent. The opposing team coach makes a fundamental change to his starting lineup in Game 2. Duncan gets in foul trouble before the half of Game 2. The Spurs play a non-competitive 2nd half of Game 2 and end up getting run out of the building. The series is tied.

One major difference for the Spurs might be the fact that they're coming home with a split, rather than going out on the road with a split. And to their credit, the Spurs actually did bounce back pretty well in Games 3 and 4, and really could have won either of them. Still, close isn't going to cut it this time around.

The Suns don't play defense. The Mavs played more defense than the Suns do.

Guys, stop living in 2006.

td4mvp21
05-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Interesting.

I am now. Mostly because Pop never makes in-series adjustments because for some reason sticking with something that doesn't work makes a ton of sense. The Spurs can beat Phoenix, there's no doubt about it. The adjustments I would make for Game 3 would be put Parker back on Nash and put Bowen on Marion. Spurs need to quit chasing Nash around the court with two or three players. That's bullshit. As for getting Parker going? Tell him to drive; we are at home and the refs won't swallow their whistles nearly as much when Parker drives. I'm not really sure how to negate Marion's defense (for some reason it worked?!?!?). Thomas didn't contain Duncan. Nothing to worry about there. Spurs need to get Thomas away from the basket, so I would run plays to get him out of position, that way Parker can drive and he should be able to get past Stoudemire and Marion. Mainly, the role players need to hit their damn shots. The Suns played horrible defense on everyone but Parker. We missed so many open shots and were often playing one on one anyways. Horry was right; there needs to be better ball movement. However, shooters must hit their shots. Ginobili needs to get it together and play like a star. If he doesn't step up soon, there may need to be some changes in the offseason. It's unacceptable not to get past the second round because of your shooting guards when our frontcourt is so weak. Ironically enough, Horry, Duncan, and Oberto have played better than we all thought.

dbreiden83080
05-09-2007, 08:11 PM
The Suns don't play defense. The Mavs played more defense than the Suns do.

Guys, stop living in 2006.

The Suns play better D than they did in 2005 but it is not even close to the level of D we play and over the course of the series that should bear itself out.

The III
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
We are playing a man short... lets hope that all 5 show up at the ATT.

makedamnsure
05-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I really don't want to remember last year at all...

Johnny RIngo
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I'd say it's more reminiscent of 2005. Spurs in 5.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-09-2007, 08:25 PM
This is what has me wondering whether this is the beginning of the end for the Spurs. Before last year, I'd have confidence that this team would be fine with 1-1 start to a series against a powerhouse team. But this is so deja vu it's not even funny.

Spurs squeak out a win in Game 1 that could have gone either way. Last year, if Stackhouse hits that three, the Mavs could have won it. This year if Nash doesn't get hurt, the Suns could have won it.

After the game, there was talk of a lineup change. In both years Spurs fans celebrated and laughed at the other team saying that it was a desperation move and how it'd never work.

Then in Game 2, the Spurs got their azz blown away with the lineup change paying immediate dividends.

Last year, Pop probably overreacted to the Game 2 loss and the Spurs never recovered. Could that happen this year?

Ostensibly the movie is a rerun but I am not that rattled yet because I don't t hink the lineup change was what caused us to lose. That and the fact that we're coming home for 3 and 4. Last year I was much more freaked out. Although to add to the coincidences and play devil's advocate: we are playing a team that is used to getting beat by us and has the confidence to finally beat us. :dizzy

easjer
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
If they come out as flat and clearly unmotivated and content to split as they did for Game 2 I'll be concerned. I thought it was a big lack of effort that hurt them most.

If they come out and play hard and lose, I will be concerned.

I am concerned that Manu's head seems to be permanently lodged in his ass. I am concerned that a championship calibur team appeared content instead of ruthless. I am concerned about the turnovers and free throw shooting.

I am not concerned about last year. It's over. The Mavs were a team designed to beat the Spurs and they did it, and it still required 3 extra games and a stupid foul leading to overtime to make it happen. We are a nightmare matchup for the Suns. I don't think there is more than superficial resemblance to last year.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM

Interesting.

No. This year we've got James White and Jackie Butler to motivate the guys off the bench.

spurmssuck
05-09-2007, 08:53 PM
d

THE SIXTH MAN
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
If they come out as flat and clearly unmotivated and content to split as they did for Game 2 I'll be concerned. I thought it was a big lack of effort that hurt them most.

If they come out and play hard and lose, I will be concerned.

I am concerned that Manu's head seems to be permanently lodged in his ass. I am concerned that a championship calibur team appeared content instead of ruthless. I am concerned about the turnovers and free throw shooting.

I am not concerned about last year. It's over. The Mavs were a team designed to beat the Spurs and they did it, and it still required 3 extra games and a stupid foul leading to overtime to make it happen. We are a nightmare matchup for the Suns. I don't think there is more than superficial resemblance to last year.
Good post.

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Why is everyone trying to compare different years and different scenarios...just sit back and watch what happens.

easjer
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Why is everyone trying to compare different years and different scenarios...just sit back and watch what happens.

Too much time on our hands. Nothing to do until Saturday but overanalyze and fret since we have this long layoff after a loss. Nothing interesting on TV (my favorite show just aired it's season - series? - finale and I'm depressed). What else to do but speculate, trade our players, argue over whether or not to start Manu or play Bonner and whether or not Horry is too old or should play more, etc.

I hate long times between games. :dramaquee

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 09:00 PM

Besides, last year we didn't have Jackie Butler to come off the bench to give us 10 and 10 a game.

Capt Bringdown
05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I was thinking the same thing.
Kinda discouraging to see our players and coaches completely flummoxed 2 years in a row by an opposing team's adjustments.
Can't wait to see if this was only a one-game anomaly, or something more serious like last year's small ball debacle.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I guess nobody found my Butler and White comment funny. :(

Hey, I was being serious! :shootme

nkdlunch
05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
not at all. This series is not like last playoffs. Duncan is healthy this series, we took Suns out of their game for all game 1 and half of game 2. not vice-versa, what Dallas did to us last night.

Psychologically, all Spurs know we can beat the Suns, not like last series.

leemajors
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Interesting.
the concerned fans are mostly keeping silent, i would imagine hoping you and FWD aren't creating bad juju

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Interesting.

LJ, you have to realize a lot of folks you're wondering about not being concerned are the same folks who couldn't see the Kurt Thomas starting idea paying dividends for Phoenix.

We'll know by the end of the first quarter Saturday how this series will play out. If the Spurs don't come out to make a statement, this series is probably over.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm just not buying it. The +/- stats are ultra convincing in some cases, but in other cases they are off base. This is one of the latter. Kurt Thomas was also sinking his jump shot like no other in game 2. Lemme ask ya'll this: If you're in total control of the spurs defense do you live with giving Thomas that jump shot if you're able to crowd a more dangerous player like Nash or Marion? Every time he hit that I said keep taking it. I'll live with it. If the Suns beat us because Kurt Thomas has become Richard Hamilton then we deserve to lose. It's like when teams leave Vaughn 7 feet of space in every direction and he hits his jumper. They live with it.

timvp
05-09-2007, 09:50 PM
the concerned fans are mostly keeping silent, i would imagine hoping you and FWD aren't creating bad juju

Pointing out the deja vu is the only hope in history not repeating itself.

:smokin

T Park
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Then in Game 2, the Spurs got their azz blown away with the lineup change paying immediate dividends

in game 2 last year, the spurs were out of the game in the second quarter.

Last night the Suns didnt start pulling away until about 7 or 8 mins left in the 4th.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Amen to that.

jmard5
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
No deja vu here. Business as usual for the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I think the Spurs will make the requisite adjustments to the rotation (more Horry, Elson and Vaughn out, and Manu or Barry handling the rock when TP is out). Looking back to the 2nd quarter last night, it seemed like the Suns were able to make their run with Vaughn and Elson out on the court for a good portion of it. They needed better spacing on offense. You can crowd Bowen and live with any of his drives from a defensive POV. You can also sag off Vaughn and give him some shots to avoid the drive and kick. The Spurs' O ground to a halt with Vaughn, Bowen, and Elson on the court at the same time. Elson was close to clueless last night. He had a couple nice blocks but otherwise was fucking up. I'm really surprised that Pop gave Elson as much time as he saw. My guess is that was Elson's last chance to earn minutes in this series. More Horry, as it were. With someone who can shoot and drive as the backup 1 and a big alongside TD who can stretch the floor and play competently we should see the Spurs' offense improve significantly in Game 3. Bowen's fine.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-09-2007, 11:18 PM
i think this is eerily reminiscent of earlier in the year. too much overreacting.

Duncan in foul trouble early, Stoudemire went crazy for a little stretch, and everyone else had off shooting nights. Spurs get to come home, play behind the home crowd, Duncan will get all the calls as usual and KT will be out of the game by the 3rd and the Spurs will take care of business.

im surprised you spelled reminiscent correctly. nice :)

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
we took Suns out of their game for all game 1 and half of game 2. not vice-versa, what Dallas did to us last night. .

yeah i wish :depressed

ShoogarBear
05-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Interesting.I've thought about it, but one key difference, as FWD said, is now the Spurs are coming home for the next two games, whereas last year they were going to Dallas.

Also, they aren't going to get killed on the boards.

But yes, it is worrisome if to beat the Suns we have to get multiple 30 point performances from TP.

leemajors
05-09-2007, 11:56 PM

point taken.

T Park
05-10-2007, 08:15 AM
ut yes, it is worrisome if to beat the Suns we have to get multiple 30 point performances from TP.

IMo it doesn't need to be.

Horry getting more than 2 points, Ginobili gettting more than 6 would help.

I think Bowen getting 9 or 12 is gonna be standard.

Finley didn't shoot ENOUGH, he only took 9 shots.

The ball just needs to move better, and on defense some changes from Bowen going to Marion, to Parker going to Nash, to Finley guarding KT.

MadDog73
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
If anything, I find this whole scenario eerily reminiscent of 2005.

In any case, it's way too early in this series to either be too concerned or too confident.

It's a five game series now with the Spurs having homecourt against a very tough Suns team. It should be a good series, no matter what happens...

ducks
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
mavs>suns
hoever manu>2006 is greater then manu 2007

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
If we lose game 3, then I'd be worried about the 2006 parallel.

But if we win game 3, then the 2006 parallel theory goes out the window--regardless of the outcome :lol.

Right now, I feel it's a toss-up. Hopefully lady-luck is on our side, and the ball falls our way this year, or we'll do so well we won't have to rely on that this series.

Dave McNulla
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
yeah. if we lose games three and four, then win games five and six, i'll worry about history repeating itself.

ponky
05-10-2007, 08:57 AM
lots of talk about how it's different because spurs are coming home but home hasn't been quite the same this season as in the past. anyway, i'm pulling for the spurs in this series, not trying to bash, just pointing out that i could see the series going back to phx tied up 2-2, nash is really getting deserate as he gets older and he doesn't lose his head about it

VaSpursFan
05-10-2007, 09:00 AM
i'm not really that concerned until i see what kind of energy they play with in game 3. first game, decent energy. second game, a corpse would have had more energy than the spurs. they totally settled for the split and were ready to head by to san antone.

now, if that ass whipping in PHX didn't let them know that they are in a dogfight, then this is the beginning of the end of the spurs championship runs. they must come out with a high level of intensity and keep it going for the entire 48 minutes. everyone needs to understand their role and stay within themselves. vaughn, cannot press the issue and should dribble in instead of shooting jumpers. manu needs to be a wild man. tony needs to blow by marion but look to pass out or work on the middle game and blow by marion and shoot the short jumper or pump fake and get him in foul trouble. right now, tony is predictable, either a jumper or all the way to the rim. a middle game would surprise folks.

101A
05-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Last year's team STRUGGLED to beat its first round opponent; this year's team took care of business, and has now dropped a single road game in the playoffs.

It is a single loss; nothing more, nothing less - when a team relaxes against the Suns, the score is going to get out of hand quickly.

I guess if it's not a sweep people are cliff-jumping anymore, huh?

Isn't this the same Spurs team that lost a SLEW of games to truly inferior opponents this year? They relaxed and blew teams off almost inexcusably. Could it be, that after the level of success the Spurs have had against these Suns in the playoffs, that THAT is what happened?

FreeMad Dan
05-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I agree with 101A...Why don't we wait and see what happens Saturday before we start counting them out.

Testing
05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Last year, the Spurs were never really clicking, you could see them slipping in the first series against the Kings.

This year, the Spurs team took on the challenge of a very physical and very good Nuggets team, much like in 2005.

It's definitely a mix of both. I'd like to see how the Spurs fare in these 2 home games...game 2, no one outside of Duncan showed up. Ginobili really needs to step up his game. And despite the fact that this may seem like the dallas series again...difference is Spurs actually still match up really well with the Suns even with Thomas in the lineup. Last year, with Harris and the small ball change, Spurs didn't match up at all with the Mavs, hence the loss.

Louae
05-10-2007, 11:19 AM

Last year, I always felt like we were always facing an uphill battle with the Mavericks from playoff scheduling and getting horrible breaks with the calls.

For example, we had a 36-hour turnaround from Game 6 in the SAC Series to Game 1 of the Mavs series, essentially making it the 2nd game of a back-to-back. Then Game 2 was pretty much a 3rd game in 4 nights type of scenario, so it didn't surprise me that we layed an egg in that game. The killer was losing to the Mavs when Duncan fouled out in Game 3 and Manu fouled out in Game 4. That put us down 3-1 and dug us into a horrible hole.

But I couldn't have been more proud of the players in Games 3 and 4. Despite struggling to get calls and scoring consistently down the stretch as Dirk & company was going to the FT line on almost every possession, the spurs kept their composure and continued fighting. And they never quit. I find it hard to believe that many other teams could've kept their composure in those instances. After that, I'm pretty confident about the Spurs in almost any instances.

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 11:25 AM
U scared?

NoMoneyDown
05-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Spurs will win G3 and, possibly, G4. They were in the mix in the 4Q of G2, but Phoenix pulled away, this DESPITE many of the Spurs' players having a lackluster performance. etc. The Silver&Black will win G3 by 8+ points and put an exclamation point on the series in G4.

baseline bum
05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
im surprised you spelled reminiscent correctly. nice :)

timvp obviously uses Firefox 2.0 with its integrated spell-check. I'm surprised you spelled I'm incorrectly :lol

MadDog73
05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
U scared?

Of the Mavs? :lol

SRJ
05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
There are always going to be some parellels. In a seven game series, there are always going to be coincidental patterns.

Maybe 2007 looks a lot like 2005:

San Antonio finished three games back of Phoenix, five games ahead of Detroit. 2007, or 2005?

San Antonio defeated Denver 4-1 in the first round, winning the last four after dropping the first game at home. 2007, or 2005?

Houston lost its first round series in seven games. 2007, or 2005?

Maybe it's 1994 all over again.

Utah advanced to play the eighth seeded team in the second round. 2007, or 1994?

Miami lost in the first round. 2007, or 1994?

Chicago swept in round one, Orlando got swept. 2007, or 1994?

Shaq got swept. 2007, or 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, or 1994? :lol

Anyway, there are always coincidental details between any given playoff years. In 2005, Seattle tied the series 2-2 after being down 0-2 - just like the '04 Lakers did. I'm not worried that this is a repeat of 2006. Could the Spurs lose? Sure. Phoenix is a hell of a team - but the Spurs won't lose as a matter of historical pattern. If that were the case, the AT&T would have three fewer trophies in it.

td4mvp3
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
i had an uneasy feeling when they went against the mavs last year, like i just couldn't see how they could overcome that team. the feelings not as great this year, though the 20-point loss was a stunner. at the same time, though, it really seems to stick out like a sore thumb aberattion considering neither team had beaten the other by more than 10 in their last several games, if i remember right. i'm curious, timvp, do you feel the same way this go around against the suns as you did against the mavs last year?

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2007, 11:57 PM
So much for the immediate similarity . . . .

:tu