PDA

View Full Version : Horry's Comments

kps0001
05-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I believe, if I heard correctly in a postgame interview, Horry saying his teammates were ball hogging and not getting the ball to the open man. How do Spurs fans feel about that? I think the Spurs are a veteren enough team to where comments like this won't have an effect in later games. Has there been dissension in the locker room before with Horry?

I guess it is similar to Nash calling out his teammates will to win after game 1 but as equally dissimilar.

Kinda lame thread but I wanted to take away from the brazilian blurrs ignorant , moronic, retarded, etc posts...All suns fans are not like this character believe me.

timvp
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Horry didn't say that in the postgame.

Kermit
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
d'oh.

timvp
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Kinda lame thread but I wanted to take away from the brazilian blurrs ignorant , moronic, retarded, etc posts...All suns fans are not like this character believe me.

Just FYI, he's not a Suns fan - he's a Laker fan who has been here under tons of aliases in the past.

kps0001
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
he did. they replayed it about 5 times in a 5 minute span on the radio this morning. I know people will want a clip of it and I will see what I can do. I figured it would have been all over Spurs boards.

He stated that they were doing a good job on us early, defensively and we went on a little run and they countered. Our defense picked up and Spurs weren't dropping shots, guys started ball hogging and then the dam broke. Not exact words but pretty close.

kps0001
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Just FYI, he's not a Suns fan - he's a Laker fan who has been here under tons of aliases in the past.

That doesn't surprise me.
:lol

steppy

I wonder if he used to post at ESPN under the moniker "Asterik". That was over 3 years ago. If so, he sure does dedicate a lot of time hating the Spurs.

timvp
He didn't say guys started ball hogging - I believe he said there wasn't very good ball movement.

kps0001
05-09-2007, 12:20 PM
He didn't say guys started ball hogging - I believe he said there wasn't very good ball movement.

No he used the exact term "ball hogging" because the first few times I heard it I thought he said "ball hawking".

If I am wrong I have no problem saying so and I know this exact situation came up before in the Steve Kerr with his comments in a previous thread. I am not trying to make something up here and truly wanted to know Spurs fans thoughts.

timvp
05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
No he used the exact term "ball hogging" because the first few times I heard it I thought he said "ball hawking".

If I am wrong I have no problem saying so and I know this exact situation came up before in the Steve Kerr with his comments in a previous thread. I am not trying to make something up here and truly wanted to know Spurs fans thoughts.

Then I didn't hear that. I heard him say something about not good ball movement but it must not have been the same interview.

Anyway - to answer your original question, no there's never any problems with Horry (or any other player) commenting on the team's play.

cherylsteele
05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
he did. they replayed it about 5 times in a 5 minute span on the radio this morning. I know people will want a clip of it and I will see what I can do. I figured it would have been all over Spurs boards.

He stated that they were doing a good job on us early, defensively and we went on a little run and they countered. Our defense picked up and Spurs weren't dropping shots, guys started ball hogging and then the dam broke. Not exact words but pretty close.
I actually noticed during the game Horry was open and he was calling for the ball and the ball handler never saw him or something....he just threw his has up in disgust.

dreamcastrocks
05-09-2007, 12:23 PM

duncan228
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
If anyone could have called out this team's performance last night it would have been Duncan.
He didn't, his postgame comments were his usual elegant stuff.
If he let it be a team loss, I will too.
They had a bad night. They didn't move the ball well. Shots didn't fall. Etc. Etc....

It's one game. It's done. Time to focus on getting game 3.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen a quote but it wouldn't surprise me. There were a couple of plays last night where Tony drove, and either took a bad shot or turned it over, and afterward they showed Horry and Manu (different times) saying 'hey, I was open.'

I also saw Horry talking to Vaughn about the same thing at one point. Can't say I disagree.

BigBeezie
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, hopefully they're all adults about this over the next few days.

samikeyp
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Dude's got six rings and his picture is in the dictionary under "clutch shot"...he can say what he wants.

tmtcsc
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I thought Tony and Manu being marginalized was the reason we lost. Phoenix played great defense on both of them and we didn't respond too well.

Can Phoenix play this type of defense throughout the rest of the series. One game is one thing, but we shall see.

kps0001
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Can Phoenix play this type of defense throughout the rest of the series. One game is one thing, but we shall see.

We seem to be able to play defense like this in spurts. Being able to put together back to back or several games with that intensity on D is very questionable and I haven't seen them be able to do it yet. I don't know if they can but I certainly hope they can find it in em.

Soul_Patch
05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Loss stings, but Spurs happy to get a split
Jason P. Skoda
The Arizona Republic
May. 9, 2007 12:00 AM

Manu Ginobili's shooting woes continued, Tim Duncan dealt with foul trouble, and Tony Parker's scoring output dwindled faster than Band-Aid supplies in the greater Phoenix area.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was so angered with the end of the first half in Tuesday's Game 2 loss at US Airways Center that he was assessed a technical foul.

Still, San Antonio leaves for home with exactly what it wanted.

"We got a split, and that's great for us," Parker said. "We get to go home, and we still have the advantage."

Regardless of the margin in the 101-81 loss, the series is tied, and that is a plus for any lower seed in a seven-game series.

"One win can't change the complexion of a series unless it is the fourth one," said Spurs reserve Robert Horry, who is in his 15th consecutive postseason.

San Antonio accomplished its mission, but the lopsided defeat had to at least make the Spurs a little uneasy with some of the themes that have popped after two games.

Ginobili, who averaged 16.5 points in the regular season, is at 10.1 in the playoffs and even more disconcerting is the 7.0 points he is averaging against the Suns on 5-for-18 shooting, including 1 for 5 from three-point range.

"We have to get him going; we have to find a way," Parker said. "He had some good looks, some wide-open threes, and they just didn't go in."

Parker was not much better after averaging 33.5 points in the past two games, counting the regular season, against the Suns.

He finished with 13 points, 19 below his Game 1 total, on 5-for-14 shooting.

"They did a good job of clogging the paint," said Parker, who bruised his shooting elbow in a collision with Leandro Barbosa. "I had some good looks, but the shots didn't fall."

Horry said Tuesday's effort wasn't something to be worried about unless the start of Game 3 is similar to Tuesday's fourth quarter.

"We didn't do the things we needed to do on the offensive end," he said. "We settled for jump shots and went one-on-one and didn't get our teammates involved. We've got to be more of a team in the next game.

"We started ball-hogging, and they were attacking the basket and hitting shots. We were still there in the fourth, but they defended their home court like they were supposed to. Now it's our chance to do the same."

baseline bum
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Makes sense. The Suns fans are pretty knowledgeable. He's got a lot in common with our now-departed loudmouth Mav fans.

ducks
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
We didn't do the things we needed to do on the offensive end," he said. "We settled for jump shots and went one-on-one and didn't get our teammates involved. We've got to be more of a team in the next game.

"We started ball-hogging, and they were attacking the basket and hitting shots. We were still there in the fourth, but they defended their home court like they were supposed to. Now it's our chance to do the same."

atleast horry knows what the problem is
so things will be fixed

easjer
05-09-2007, 03:06 PM
His comments at the end of the article weren't so bad. He included himself with the team and accused the team of bad play. It would be different if he called out a specific player or two or if he said THEY played poorly or I played well but everyone else sucked.

But his comments seemed innocuous enough and pretty on point. Tony ends up in a bad position of being a scoring point guard - so he wants to shoot himself out of a slump, but that can lead to open guys not handling the ball. So that's something they need to work out before Saturday.

MoSpur
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
At least he said, "we" and not Tony. LOL

sa_butta
05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Dude's got six rings and his picture is in the dictionary under "clutch shot"...he can say what he wants.Exactly, when he speaks, teamates should listen and respond accordingly. Look for more ball-movement in game 3.

SenorSpur
05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
If there were any bad shots taken, certainly Tony and Manu (at times) can be cited for that. As everyone knows, the Spurs are a far more effective when they share the ball around and work for the best shot.

I cringe when I see any Spur, particulary Manu and Tony, pound the ball and then take a bad shot. Of course, they're not as bad as say, Allen Iverson, but they do have their moments.

longrod
05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I believe Horry's stature in the team reaches far beyond his stats. Chances are he just spoke his mind and was correct doing it. I doubt Horry's statement surprised Pop the least bit.

Mr. Peabody
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
We've had problems with Horry for a while now, but this latest comment will be the final straw. I predict that Horry will no longer be a Spur after this summer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Spurs played like crap. I hope Horry did call out his teammates.

leemajors
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
We've had problems with Horry for a while now, but this latest comment will be the final straw. I predict that Horry will no longer be a Spur after this summer.

huh? if anything, he will probably retire.

MadDog73
05-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Are you on another planet? When exactly have the Spurs had "trouble" with Robert Horry? He single-handledly won OT for us against Game 5 in Detroit.

Spurs owe Robert Horry. Why punish him for speaking the truth?

ducks
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
what has horry every done except for not showing up tell after allstar break
spurs brass knew he would not before they signed him though

ducks
05-09-2007, 04:34 PM
did horry put his big balls in your sisters ass or something?

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I believe, if I heard correctly in a postgame interview, Horry saying his teammates were ball hogging and not getting the ball to the open man. How do Spurs fans feel about that? I think the Spurs are a veteren enough team to where comments like this won't have an effect in later games. Has there been dissension in the locker room before with Horry?

I guess it is similar to Nash calling out his teammates will to win after game 1 but as equally dissimilar.

Even if he did actually say that, it would not be a reflection on poor team chemistry. A comment like that would more than likely be taken as truthful commentary from a key veteran. The Spurs' team chemistry is unparalleled in professional sports, perhaps. I've heard this directly from the mouthes of present and former NBA players and analysts.

nkdlunch
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM

:idiot

BIG IRISH
05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
did horry put his big balls in your sisters ass or something?

Nope, That why Mr Peabody is complaining. His sister wanted it, couldn't get it and Now she is taking it out on her widdle brudder.

Mr. Peabody
05-09-2007, 04:41 PM
:bang :lol :bang :lol

This is hilarious.

I don't even know what to say sometimes......

ducks
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
lol

Mr. Peabody
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
We've had problems with Horry for a while now, but this latest comment will be the final straw.

Are you on another planet? When exactly have the Spurs had "trouble" with Robert Horry?

what has horry every done except for not showing up tell after allstar break spurs brass knew he would not before they signed him though

:lol :bang :lol

I predict that Horry will no longer be a Spur after this summer.

huh? if anything, he will probably retire.

:lol :bang :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
"We didn't do the things we needed to do on the offensive end," he said. "We settled for jump shots and went one-on-one and didn't get our teammates involved. We've got to be more of a team in the next game.

Same tired bitch and moan from Horry. Pop's got three rings. We didn't lose last night because of 4down or running iso sets on offense [/Popsuckers]

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
:bang :lol :bang :lol

This is hilarious.

I don't even know what to say sometimes......

Welcome to my world, homeboy.

implacable44
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
At least he said, "we" and not Tony. LOL

you know he meant tony -- dude dominates the ball like nobody else in the game. dribble dribble dribble dribble -- bad shot - turnover - don't get me wrong sometimes he plays great but lest you apologists and homers forget every year in the playoffs pop goes to a different pg and God help us all - this year it is Jaque vaughn - The only thing I remember about him is when they were clowning him on Sportscenter because he didn't score for like 15 games.

SpursWoman
05-09-2007, 06:27 PM
:lol @ Mr. Peabody

~Sweetmelody~
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM

We didn't do the things we needed to do on the offensive end," he said. "We settled for jump shots and went one-on-one and didn't get our teammates involved. We've got to be more of a team in the next game.

Yay Horry! Dude can say anything he wants. :)