PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Spurs so hated?

ambchang
05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
1) They are boring - totally subjective, and again, if the Spurs are so boring, why do you keep watching them? If you don't watch them, how in the world do you find them boring?
2) Spurs are dirty - So why did they only get 1 tech in the playoffs so far? Why did they only get 32 techs the whole season, tied with the Cavs for 21st out of 30 teams?
3) Spurs are whiners - still doesn't change the fact that the Spurs have shot the least ft/game in the playoffs despite being an inside out team and ranking 24th out of 30 teams in the regular season.
4) The refs are biased in favour of the Spurs :dramaquee - So please tell me this, the Spurs are boring (perception), they are a small market team (perception), and they are dirty (perception). Why would the league help them out if they can't sell merchandise, kills TV ratings, and exhibit poor sportsmanship, which the team has been trying for years to clean its image?
5) Jealousy - Is it any surprise that we rarely got haters from the Pistons, aka the only contender who has won a championship?

Man Mountain
05-09-2007, 12:24 PM
They aren't.

They are one of the most respected teams in the league.

samikeyp
05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
They are consistent winners. People don't like the same teams always winning, unless its their team.

steppy
05-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Success breeds trolls. Some people will give props to the Spurs and others will do all they can to discredit them. I'd venture to say that a lot of the NBA cities would trade their team for one like SA. The feeling of your home team winning a title is too good to put into words.

dreamcastrocks
05-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Success breeds trolls. Some people will give props to the Spurs and others will do all they can to discredit them. I'd venture to say that a lot of the NBA cities would trade their team for one like SA. The feeling of your home team winning a title is too good to put into words.

This is the most accurate statement I have seen yet. EVERY team, EVERY one wishes that they had Duncan. He will go down as the best PF to ever play the game, if he isn't already there. He is the epitome of what the league should be. His fundamentals as a whole are missing in the league today. Steve Nash and Tim Duncan (minus the whining for fouls) are what this league needs to clone.

mabber
05-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Why do you think the Spurs are hated? I don't think most NBA fans have strong feelings (good or bad) toward the Spurs.

whottt
05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Because they keep other teams from winning championships...same reason we hated the Lakers.

judaspriestess
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Because they keep other teams from winning championships...same reason we hated the Lakers.

:tu Very, very true!

bigglendiesel
05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I say bring back Dennis Rodman, Stephen Jackson, and pull Karl Malone out of retirement... and let's get some dirty playing goin on... I think we'll pull ratings then... TNT says it best... "we know drama"... and the day sports become a soap opera (like wrestling) is the day I watch only college ball... that's where it's at!!!! All heart!! No money, no ratings... no complaining... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! - Frustrated!
Can't wait for Saturday!!!! Start a game @ a decent hour so I can quit draggin A$$ here at work every day!!!

zrinkill
05-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Because they are good ...... and have 3 championships

While the haters like the Mavs and the Suns have none .....

that is the only reason ......

jmard5
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
People hate teams that constantly win. There are the bulls-haters, the lakers-haters and then there are the spurs-haters. With the exception of the Pistons, these teams have won the championship in the last decade.

These haters want a new champion.

ratm1221
05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Because they are good ...... and have 3 championships

While the haters like the Mavs and the Suns have none .....

that is the only reason ......

Once again, all of your posts look the exact same. Nothing useful in them. :blah

samikeyp
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
First off...anyone who actually hates a team for any reason...that person needs help. Its just sports.

Secondly the winning factor is the biggest thing. People can't stand losing especially to the same team.

JamStone
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't think many people hate the Spurs at all. Maybe Mavs fans and Lakers fans because they have some playoff history with the Spurs. But, in general, I don't think people hate the Spurs at all. In fact, I think most fans outside of San Antonio think the Spurs are a great team and class organization. Some might think Bruce is dirty or that Manu is a flopper, but I don't think that equates to "hating" the Spurs. And, calling the Spurs boring is not hate either. It's just an opinion. I don't see that criticism as much anyway since Parker emerged as another main scoring option. The Spurs are not as boring as before. They play good, sound, fundamental team basketball. And, outside a few annoying characteristics of some of the players, which every team has, the Spurs are not hated on much at all.

samikeyp
05-09-2007, 02:01 PM
^^^great post.

zrinkill
05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Once again, all of your posts look the exact same. Nothing useful in them. :blah

The Truth hurts kid ..... :lol

OldDirtMcGirt
05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
They're alot like the Patriots. Not only do they consistently win, but they win without alot of flashy superstars using tough defense and smart coaching.

twincam
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
The Spurs have been deemed the role models of professional sports. Nobody cries about playing time. Nobody cares for showmanship. Nobody cares to make it on ESPN's top plays of the day/week/month, etc. Spurs' management takes care of their people. The Spurs are simply "TEAM" players and not "INDIVIDUALS". That is 'the' key to their success.
The San Antonio Spurs are in a class of their own. Basketball fundamentals win games and championships.

Hated by many, envied by all.

mabber
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think many people hate the Spurs at all. Maybe Mavs fans and Lakers fans because they have some playoff history with the Spurs. But, in general, I don't think people hate the Spurs at all. In fact, I think most fans outside of San Antonio think the Spurs are a great team and class organization. Some might think Bruce is dirty or that Manu is a flopper, but I don't think that equates to "hating" the Spurs. And, calling the Spurs boring is not hate either. It's just an opinion. I don't see that criticism as much anyway since Parker emerged as another main scoring option. The Spurs are not as boring as before. They play good, sound, fundamental team basketball. And, outside a few annoying characteristics of some of the players, which every team has, the Spurs are not hated on much at all.

Good post. And as I mentioned above, I'm thinking most people (outside of fans of their 1-2 rivals) don't care about them one way or the other. I'm sure some respect them (hard not to) but it doesn't mean they like them.