PDA

View Full Version : Personal Check/Banking Question (...assistance?)

pussyface
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I am currently in a city that doesn't have any chapters of the bank I use.

I have in my possesion a personal check i am looking to cash.

Is it possible to sign it over to a friend and have it cashed via his (local) bank/checking account or am i going to have to venture into one of those questionable check-cashing establishments?

...any information is greatly appreciated

SpursWoman
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Your friend just needs to ask his bank if they'll accept a 3rd party check....mine does, but someone else around here had the same issue and their bank didn't.

SpursWoman
05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Or, if there is a local branch of the bank the check is written from, you can go there and cash it.

pussyface
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
...thanks for the information

midgetonadonkey
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Is the check made out to Pussyface?

pussyface
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Is the check made out to Pussyface?

it is payable to Mr. Pus Syface

pussyface
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
on another note, what is the procedure for cashing a personal check at those check cashing places?

are they going to call and pester the person that wrote me the check to verify or will they just contact the bank to ensure that the check is good?

sa_butta
05-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Is the check made out to Pussyface?I like making out checks to friends I owe money to and putting drugs, or sexual favors in the "for" section.

sa_butta
05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
on another note, what is the procedure for cashing a personal check at those check cashing places?

are they going to call and pester the person that wrote me the check to verify or will they just contact the bank to ensure that the check is good?I dont think they cash them at Moneybox or anything like that, you may want to call.

whottt
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
PM me your bank account #, debit card #, and social security #....I'll get this mess straightened out.

fraga
05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
^^Also...please look past the fact he is from Nigeria...

duncan228
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Those check cashing places will charge you alot. Not worth it unless you run out of other options.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
PM me your bank account #, debit card #, and social security #....I'll get this mess straightened out.:lol

Shelly
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM

are they going to call and pester the person that wrote me the check to verify or will they just contact the bank to ensure that the check is good?

They call the person who wrote the check.

We had someone print up phony checks on our payroll account last year. We do direct deposit, but for jobs where we hire a bunch of people short term, we write paper checks.

So this person at first signed our field supt.'s name and took it to a check cashing place on a Saturday. Since we're not open on Saturdays, the check cashing place took a chance and cashed it anyway. I just happened to look at our account online because some of our deposits in our regular account come in electronically. I noticed that our payroll account had a negative balance. We leave about $5k in that acct just for a quick layoff check, if needed, but basically what goes in comes right back out.

Long story short, Citibank closed our account immediately and these people still kept writing bum checks signing any old name. Every time the check cashing place would call to get the okay, we told them that these are fraudulent checks, the account is closed, and to call the police. They didn't want to believe it (because they make money off it) and we would tell them that if they cashed it's gonna bounce. They would tell us that the 'owner' called in and said it was okay (the owner is my dad) and we'd have to keep telling them the account is closed. The last checking place said that this person comes in all the time and I told them that if they were smart, they should keep her there and call the police.

The funny thing is that all this was happening in Los Angeles and someone drove to a branch down in San Diego and actually OPENED an account with Citibank with a fraudulent check and a signature that wasn't even anyone's who is allowed to sign on that account! I don't know why they bother with signature cards if they don't check them.

All in all, they wrote about $10K in bad checks, but Citibank covered it.

pussyface
05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Shelly]They call the person who wrote the check. [QUOTE=Shelly]

i dont get it.

how can they call? how do they have a phone number for the check writer?

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM

i dont get it.

The one time I tried to cash a check like that, I was asked to provide a phone number for the person who wrote me the check and they called and confirmed.

I'm not sure how secure that actually is, but that's what they did.

Melmart1
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
If your friend is willing to put it in their bank account and give you teh cash, that is easiest and cheapest overall. But be warned that most banks will only do it if your friend has funds in their account to cover the check in case it bounces, and they likely will freeze those funds until the check clears.

Shelly
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM

i dont get it.

I very rarely see a check that doesn't have a phone number on it.

SrA Husker
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I very rarely see checks. I don't remember the last time I wrote one... everything is done online or via debit card.

Lady Marmalade
05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I very rarely see checks. I don't remember the last time I wrote one... everything is done online or via debit card.

That is how I am too. I even pay rent online now at my new apartment complex... The last few months at my old place I just gave my roommate the cash and had her write out a check for the rent for the month...