PDA

View Full Version : Best PG remaining in the Playoffs

Pistons < Spurs
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I saw a similar discussion on the ESPN message boards, and figured I'd start it up over here.

Of the 8 remaining teams, everyone but the Cavs have exceptional PG's. Those other 7 should all be in the top 10 in the L. How do you rank them?

Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
Baron Davis
Jason Kidd
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Eric Snow

I probably have Baron a little too high...but after what he did vs the Mavs, I had to make him top 3

Phenomanul
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
minus his inconsistent shooting... Jason Kidd is the most complete point guard on that list.

Too bad he is older than most on that list as well.... so some of his athleticism is gone.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I saw a similar discussion on the ESPN message boards, and figured I'd start it up over here.

Of the 8 remaining teams, everyone but the Cavs have exceptional PG's. Those other 7 should all be in the top 10 in the L. How do you rank them?

Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
Baron Davis
Jason Kidd
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Eric Snow

I probably have Baron a little too high...but after what he did vs the Mavs, I had to make him top 3

I might put Parker over Kidd at this point.

mabber
05-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Steve Nash
Chauncey Billups
Baron Davis
Jason Kidd
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Eric Snow

Nash
Billups
Kidd
Davis
Parker
Williams
Hinrich
Snow

phyzik
05-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Nash
Billups
Parker
Kidd
Davis
Williams
Hinrich
Snow

mardigan
05-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Snow is coming off the bench, the Cavs start Hughes at point now.

Kidd
Billups
Nash
Parker
Davis
Williams
Hienrich
Hughes/Snow

Xylus
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Nash
Billups
Kidd
Parker
Davis
Williams
Hinrich
Snow

JamStone
05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Kidd
Nash
Billups
Deron
Parker
Davis
Hinrich
Snow

mabber
05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Kidd
Nash
Billups
Deron
Parker
Davis
Hinrich
Snow

Kidd should be at bottom of the list after last night's performance :lol He was a turnover machine last night.

Cry Havoc
05-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Nash
Deron (yeah, go ahead, doubt me. Then watch this kid play. He's a distributor, he can score, and he plays amazing defense)
Billups
Kidd
Parker
Davis
Hinrich
Snow

MrChug
05-09-2007, 03:54 PM
People are overlooking that Nash is still the best on this list. For a reason. It's as shocking as when MJ would only score 25. We'd call is a sub-par game. Yet be singing the praises if John Starks would do the same. We're so used to having Nash having assists in the teens and scoring 20 or 30 points (most of the time 20+ points and 13+ assists.

Cry Havoc
05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
People are overlooking that Nash is still the best on this list. For a reason. It's as shocking as when MJ would only score 25. We'd call is a sub-par game. Yet be singing the praises if John Starks would do the same. We're so used to having Nash having assists in the teens and scoring 20 or 30 points (most of the time 20+ points and 13+ assists.

I have Nash as the best on my list, but people are simliarly shocked if Nash holds the man he's defending to under 20 points. Just saying.

mardigan
05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
People overlook the fact that J-Kidd averages a triple double in the playoffs, but if anyone else did it, it would be a big deal. All around point guard, Kidd is the best

mabber
05-09-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm not. I was floored when I saw 2-3 lists with Nash not at #1 but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

mabber
05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
People overlook the fact that J-Kidd averages a triple double in the playoffs, but if anyone else did it, it would be a big deal. All around point guard, Kidd is the best

I think Kidd used to be the best but he's not as good as Nash now.

JamStone
05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Kidd should be at bottom of the list after last night's performance :lol He was a turnover machine last night.

Kidd sucked last night, specifically with turning the ball over. I was basing my list on the entire season as well as the playoffs. I thought Kidd was close to being washed up even before last year. While I don't necessarily like him, I can't ignore him averaging a triple double for an entire playoff series, even if it was against TJ Ford and Jose Calderon.

mardigan
05-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Kidd sucked last night, specifically with turning the ball over. I was basing my list on the entire season as well as the playoffs. I thought Kidd was close to being washed up even before last year. While I don't necessarily like him, I can't ignore him averaging a triple double for an entire playoff series, even if it was against TJ Ford and Jose Calderon.
And even though he sucked last night, he still was only 2 assists away from a triple double, and if Carter didnt suck so much ass he would have had well over 10 assists

mabber
05-09-2007, 04:02 PM

I know. I was just throwing that out there. I'm actually a fan of his but he really sucked last night.

Testing
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd take Baron and Parker over Kidd any day. Yes, Kidd is averaging a triple double, but his defense isn't what it used to be and his offense is downright nasty right now. His triple double isn't helping his team win any games against the Cavs. Parker/Baron's 20 and 7 are helping their teams win.

mardigan
05-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I'd take Baron and Parker over Kidd any day. Yes, Kidd is averaging a triple double, but his defense isn't what it used to be and his offense is downright nasty right now. His triple double isn't helping his team win any games against the Cavs. Parker/Baron's 20 and 7 are helping their teams win.
You really think that 10 boards 10 points and 10 assists dont help a team win? I think Carter not being able to shoot, them having no low post scoring threat, and a bad bench are what is not helping his team win. Now his turnovers dont help, but niether does all of their scoring coming off jumpers.

mavsfan1000
05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Steve Nash
Baron Davis
Chauncey Billups
Jason Kidd
Tony Parker
Kirk Hinrich
Deron Williams
Eric Snow

JamStone
05-09-2007, 04:27 PM

Baron's 24 and 7 didn't help the Warriors win game 1 against the Jazz.

Tony Parker's 13 and 3 on 5-for-14 from the field didn't help the Spurs win last night.

Kidd isn't even shooting as poorly as some might suggest. He's shooting .444 from 3-pt range, .438 from the field. While that's not great, Tony Parker is shooting only .467 from the field.

For the playoffs:

Kidd: 13.5 ppg, 12.0 apg, 10.0 rpg, 1.88 spg, 3.63 TO
Parker: 19.4 ppg, 6.4 apg, 2.7 rpg, 1.14 spg, 3.57 TO
Baron: 24.9 ppg, 5.9 apg, 5.7 rpg, 1.71 spg, 3.14 TO

Kidd's 3-pt shooting: .444
Baron Davis' 3-pt shooting: .432

Baron has been spectacular in the playoffs so far. But, aside from shooting better from the field, Kidd has been at least "as" spectacular. He had a lot of turnovers last night. But, he does so much for the Nets. I can't believe I'm arguing this at all because I don't really like Jason Kidd. But, you gotta give it up to the guy for the way he's played in these playoffs, and basically all season long, especially at his advanced age.

JamStone
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Actually, aren't the Cavs starting Larry Hughes at point these days?

MrChug
05-09-2007, 05:01 PM
What Deron Williams did on Monday was awesome, but his defense (or lack thereof) will still keep him from moving up the list.

resistanze
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis/Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Larry Hughes

G-Money
05-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Kidd is playing at a level rarely EVER seen. He is averaging a triple double, got his team past the raptors. He has hit a tough (considered in th east) team and his teammates suck balls. RJ is top 5 most overated players in the league. Wince blows as well.

Kidd
Nash
Baron

Kidd
Nash
Billups
Baron

I like Baron but Billups wouldn't have made those FT's and this game vs the Jazz would be over.

Cry Havoc
05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
What Deron Williams did on Monday was awesome, but his defense (or lack thereof) will still keep him from moving up the list.

Um. Okay.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Kidd's numbers are sick. And he's been hitting big three pointers.

It takes an aficionado to appreciate somebody who can dominate the game without scoring.

Cry Havoc
05-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Kidd's numbers are sick. And he's been hitting big three pointers.

It takes an aficionado to appreciate somebody who can dominate the game without scoring.

Kind of like how Jeff can dominate the message boards here without "scoring" a single point. :lol

Supergirl
05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Hinrich is underrated. Parker and Deron should both be above JKidd at this point.

My list:
Chauncey Billups (plays a more complete game, ie DEFENSE)
Steve Nash
Baron Davis
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Jason Kidd

However, the point of the thread is correct - all the teams but the Cavs have spectacular PGs in one way or multiple ways. And I would hypothesize that this spells doom for the Cavs, and is also a big part of the reason why the Mavs, not to mention the Rockets and the Lakers, were demolished. The era of the PG has officially arrived.

Cry Havoc
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Hinrich is underrated. Parker and Deron should both be above JKidd at this point.

My list:
Chauncey Billups (plays a more complete game, ie DEFENSE)
Steve Nash
Baron Davis
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Jason Kidd

However, the point of the thread is correct - all the teams but the Cavs have spectacular PGs in one way or multiple ways. And I would hypothesize that this spells doom for the Cavs, and is also a big part of the reason why the Mavs, not to mention the Rockets and the Lakers, were demolished. The era of the PG has officially arrived.

You're entitled to disagree, by all means, but how can you rate a PG who's average a trip-doub in the playoffs as the lowest on the list?

fitzgerald
05-10-2007, 09:23 AM
You're entitled to disagree, by all means, but how can you rate a PG who's average a trip-doub in the playoffs as the lowest on the list?

She does not know what she is talking about. Kidd is still good and people think triple doubles are easy. Shows how much they know. Here is my list:

Nash
Kidd
Baron
Billups
Parker
Deron
Hinrich

Supergirl
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM

You're right, I didn't like Kidd winding up so low, either, I just think Deron and Hinrich are that good.

But I wouldn't mind revising my list as such:

Chauncey
Nash
Baron Davis
Parker
Kidd
Deron
Hinrich

In order to get Kidd up higher. But he's not as he was a couple years ago, and no way is he better than the other 4 above him right now, in this postseason.

tlongII
05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
IMO, Deron is the best young PG in the league. That kid is a stud. I see no weaknesses in his game.

Chr!s Childs
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Baron Davis
Chauncey Billups
Jason Kidd
Tony Parker
Deron Williams
Kirk Hinrich
Eric Snow
Steve Trash

romsey31
05-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Chauncey Billups
Kirk Hinrich
Baron Davis
Deron Williams
Tony Parker
Eric Snow

Cry Havoc
05-10-2007, 10:52 AM
IMO, Deron is the best young PG in the league. That kid is a stud. I see no weaknesses in his game.

Agreed. He has great court vision -- possibly the best sign of a developing point.

I think next year he'll be one of the best fantasy draft picks for the money. He'll likely go late 2nd to late 3rd and produce late 1st-early 2nd round numbers.

At the U of I, he really came into his own his senior year. He works like a horse and has an incredible basketball IQ. I can't say enough positives about him. He looks like the reincarnation of Kidd, and potentially better.

Scary.

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Derek Harper > all the guys listed. When it comes to point guards, the list begins and ends with Derek Harper. Kidd was great when he wore the green and blue, but he's a fluke now that he plays for another team. Same thing with Steve Nash: those two mvp awards are a fluke. When he was with us and made the all-star team, he was simply just going about his business and doing what he was supposed to.

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Agreed. He has great court vision -- possibly the best sign of a developing point.

I think next year he'll be one of the best fantasy draft picks for the money. He'll likely go late 2nd to late 3rd and produce late 1st-early 2nd round numbers.

At the U of I, he really came into his own his senior year. He works like a horse and has an incredible basketball IQ. I can't say enough positives about him. He looks like the reincarnation of Kidd, and potentially better.

Scary.

I kinda feel like Williams is a fluke. Let's see him do it year in and year out like Brad Davis. That guy was a baller. He just did what he had to do and outplayed Magic, Isaiah, Stockton and other opposing point guards, like he was supposed to do.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/david_drunk2.jpg

BobcatsDynasty
05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Raymond Felton should be on this list. The only reason they aren't in the playoffs is because of Dwight Howard's fluke win on a fluke dunk by a fluke player against San Antonio. After that the refs would eject Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis from every game so that Orlando could win. And Charlotte never got any calls. If they had the 8 seed, they would have swept Detroit because they would have simply beaten a team they're supposed to beat.

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Raymond Felton should be on this list. The only reason they aren't in the playoffs is because of Dwight Howard's fluke win on a fluke dunk by a fluke player against San Antonio. After that the refs would eject Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis from every game so that Orlando could win. And Charlotte never got any calls. If they had the 8 seed, they would have swept Detroit because they would have simply beaten a team they're supposed to beat.

Adam Morrison is the second-best small forward in the league, right after Josh Howard.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/david_drunk2.jpg

naico
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Must say i've been impressed by Calderon's defense lately

ShoogarBear
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Let's see him do it year in and year out like Brad Davis.
:lmao :lmao :lmao