PDA

View Full Version : Suns Style Entertaining?

LavaLamp
05-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Team loyalties aside, do any of you Spurs fans enjoy watching Nash make a seemingly impossible assist for an easy basket?

Do you find yourself just enjoying the beauty of the game at moments like those?

SAtown
05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Not really. And I wouldn't call Nash's assists "seemingly impossible." Most are 1/2 of a foot away from the Suns player anyways. Good luck the rest of the series

LavaLamp
05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Not really. And I wouldn't call Nash's assists "seemingly impossible." Most are 1/2 of a foot away from the Suns player anyways. Good luck the rest of the series

Nash is usually double or triple-teamed when he gets in the paint. He has to thread the ball through all the defenders' legs and arms. It is certainly not easy. Meanwhile the roll-guy in the pick-and-roll is moving to the basket yet Nash is able to place the ball in his hands while in motion.

Don't you appreciate that kind of play on its merits, even if he is on the opposing team?

I find myself appreciating the various moves of TD (especially his hook shots), the incredible speed, directional changes and dribbling of TP, the accurate rainbow arc of Finley and Manu's ability to get the rebound even when surrounded by 3 Suns players. As a basketball fan, it is just a feast for the eyes.

sunsbum
05-09-2007, 07:50 PM

lolol thats like saying i dont think TD is that good cause most his baskets are 5 feet away from the hoop anyways.

ridiculous.

SacheLee
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
:fro

exstatic
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Don't be offended, because I'm just trying to honestly answer your question, but I can see a Suns game at any rec center or gym in the city any day of the week.

SAtown
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
lolol thats like saying i dont think TD is that good cause most his baskets are 5 feet away from the hoop anyways.

ridiculous.

Read. I didn't say "I don't think Nash is that good cause most of his assists..." He/she asked if we enjoyed it.

td4mvp21
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
When they are running (not against us :lol), they are very fun to watch, especially when they shoot three's in transition. Nash's assists are very good ones and tough ones, but personally, I don't get too excited over assists. They are very good nonetheless, and I'm sure the majority of fans do find it very entertaining.

ambchang
05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
To me, all basketball is fun to watch. Just that the Spurs' brand is funner, and a Spurs win the funnest.
I just enjoy structure, well thought out game plans, and execution. I really should have been a football fan.

OldDirtMcGirt
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
To me, all basketball is fun to watch. Just that the Spurs' brand is funner, and a Spurs win the funnest.
I just enjoy structure, well thought out game plans, and execution. I really should have been a football fan.

Yeah. I'm a big basketball fan in general, and I just love solid team basketball whether it be Phoenix, San Antonio, or Detroit. The only basketball I really dislike is crappy isolation with superstars. Los Angeles and Cleveland come to mind.

kps0001
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
The way Timmy was using the glass last night was something beautiful to watch. I enjoyed it but could have been for the fact he was the only one scoring and it was obvious to me San Antonio lost the grip on the game. Otherwise I would have been yelling profanities at Timmy and Kurt Thomas. :)

THE SIXTH MAN
05-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't really care for style. What I do find entertaining is when the game is played the way it's supposed to be played. Like the above poster said, as long as there's no ball hogging or lack of hustle I'm satisfied.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Team loyalties aside, do any of you Spurs fans enjoy watching Nash make a seemingly impossible assist for an easy basket?

Do you find yourself just enjoying the beauty of the game at moments like those?

No. I like watching tougher, more physical teams. No offense, and I acknowledge that Nash has great skills and court vision, but I don't care to watch Phoenix unless they are playing San Antonio. If I were a native of Arizona, obviously I'd be a diehard fan, but I'm not. That's just an honest answer.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Don't be offended, because I'm just trying to honestly answer your question, but I can see a Suns game at any rec center or gym in the city any day of the week.

I'm not offended, but I do find your comment hilarious! :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Yes.

Suns>Spurs
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
:fro

:nope avatar

BigBeezie
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm primarily a Spurs fan, but I also enjoy the team basketball played by the Bulls and the Pistons. I think both of them are solid teams. I don't think this applies to the bulls at this point, but for my dollar, I want a team that plays defense EVERY game. Not once a year or with one or two players. I appreciate the style of play by the Pistons. The Spurs are obviously at the top of the totum pole for me. The Suns don't excite me and I think that they would pretty much suck ass without Nash. I have a great amount of respect for Nash as a player, yet I don't think he has a Shaq to his Kobe or a Kareem to his Magic, etc., etc. cliche, etc.

I just think it's been done before by so many great players, that I love seeing team basketball. Share the ball, d-up, block a shot, rebound...you know the deal.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Steve Nash is fun to watch on an individual level. And the team mentality is always a bonus.

AnkleBreaker21
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
fuck that lil canadian, next time he runs in the paint we need to send someone to fuckin clothsline that fucker. that will make him think twice about going in the paint again, we need to be tough

Capt Bringdown
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Steve Nash's accomplishments as an over-30 PG are epic, perhaps never to be equaled. History in the making every time he steps on the court.

cornbread
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
The run 'n' gun is okay to watch. Nash's circus shots are cool.

But the part of Suns b-ball that I really enjoy to watch is Raja's defense. His intensity is what I find to be very entertaining.

jmard5
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, both Suns and Spurs brand of basketball are fun to watch.

RonMexico
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Haha - said by someone who obviously only watches those games and never participates.

baseline bum
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Of course. I'm a basketball fan first.

dav4463
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I enjoy watching good basketball. Suns are a good team. Spurs are a good team. The contrasting styles make for a good series.

By the way, I REALLY enjoy the playoffs knowing that I don't have to see Mark Cuban on the sidelines the rest of the way!!!

jmard5
05-09-2007, 11:09 PM
By the way, I REALLY enjoy the playoffs knowing that I don't have to see Mark Cuban on the sidelines the rest of the way!!!

:lol

dbestpro
05-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Suns basketball works for the casual fan. A knowledgeable fan will appreciate the intricacies of defense every time. A Suns fan will complain about a blown layup or a shooting foul that was missed. A Spurs fan will complain about a player not in position on defense or blocking call that was really a charge. Case in point, look at how the Suns fans reacted after game one. They blamed the refs for stalling their offense. In game two the Spurs fans simply blamed poor defense. Spurs fans know that playoff basketball is a physical game and will respond accordingly.

da_suns_fan__
05-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Suns basketball works for the casual fan. A knowledgeable fan will appreciate the intricacies of defense every time. A Suns fan will complain about a blown layup or a shooting foul that was missed. A Spurs fan will complain about a player not in position on defense or blocking call that was really a charge. Case in point, look at how the Suns fans reacted after game one. They blamed the refs for stalling their offense. In game two the Spurs fans simply blamed poor defense. Spurs fans know that playoff basketball is a physical game and will respond accordingly.

THIS spurs fan will assume that fans of every team act and think as one.

:rolleyes

Gaddabout
05-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Heh.

Generally speaking, you speak in such generalities that it's generally offensive. Generally, though, I can't agree with a single characterization because, generally:

- You imply all Suns fans are casual fans
- You imply all Spurs fans are knowledgeable fans
- You imply knowledgeable fans are somehow above enjoying offensive displays
- You imply Spurs fans calmly returned to their computers after Game 2 and discussed the game's intricacies with a calculating detachment, like rocket scientists discussing why the last probe crashed into Mars.

You want generalities? ALL FANS ARE THE SAME. As a group, I see no difference. Some are experienced, either as players or have been around the game a long time, some aren't so experienced. Some are patient, some are not so patient. Some have high opinions of their own fan base, some are more realistic.

I do find it hilarious to watch the group thought that occurs when Phil Jackson takes over a team, or as Pops has slowly developed in San Antonio. The fans there get so wrapped up in what these two very bright tacticians are doing, they begin to think they were involved in the planning stages. LOL It's not much different in Phoenix, where fans feel the fast break was invented in Italy where D'Antoni perfected the lob pass and the 3-on-2 break.

King
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM

Put casual fan/serious fan in place of Suns fans/Spurs fan. There are geniuses and idiots in both fanbases. Don't make ridiculous blanket statements.

And to answer the question, yes, I love watching the Suns play. Nash is one of my favorite to watch in the league.

JackArse
05-10-2007, 12:47 AM
and also, knowledgable basketball fans would know, the suns style was not brought about by d'antoni or from europe
it was originally implemented by red auerbach with the boston celtics team that won a crapload of titles.
started with the PG that most people compare nash to. bob cousy.

RonMexico
05-10-2007, 01:34 AM

Incredible... your homework is to go to the Game blog and see how many Spurs fans bitched about the officiating... or how many times I heard, "Yeah, Kurt Thomas is playing good D, but he's hacking the shit out of Duncan..."

After you've provided me with an accurate number of times Spurs fans complained about crap, feel free to come back to this thread and re-generalize your own fanbase.

Burn531
05-10-2007, 01:38 AM
The first year Nash was in Phoenix it was fun to watch. Now it's just boring.

RonMexico
05-10-2007, 01:42 AM
The first year Nash was in Phoenix it was fun to watch. Now it's just boring.

What's boring is watching Rasheed Wallace shoot 3's

Up next comes Rip Hamilton's facemask

Up after that is Rip Hamilton's lame attempts at being tough.

Johnny RIngo
05-10-2007, 01:58 AM
The Suns are a gimmick(a tired one at that). Their style of basketball won't ever win a championships:

Rank in EFG% of every NBA champion since the ABA/NBA merger in 76-77:

05-06: Miami 10th
04-05: San Antonio 1st
03-04: Detroit 2nd
02-03: San Antonio 2nd
01-02: LA Lakers 2nd
00-01: LA Lakers 13th
99-00: LA Lakers 1st
98-99: San Antonio 1st
97-98: Chicago 5th
96-97: Chicago 3rd
95-96: Chicago 6th
94-95: Houston 7th
93-94: Houston 3rd
92-93: Chicago 15th
91-92: Chicago 9th
90-91: Chicago 13th
89-90: Detroit 1st
88-89: Detroit 2nd
87-88: LA Lakers 9th
86-87: LA Lakers 6th
85-86: Boston 1st
84-85: LA Lakers 5th
83-84: Boston 2nd
82-83: Philadelphia 4th
81-82: LA Lakers 10th
80-81: Boston 3rd
79-80: LA Lakers 7th
78-79: Seattle 1st
77-78: Washington 10th
76-77: Portland 7th

Average Rank: 5.4

Phoenix ranked 12th this year in EFG%. So in the last 30 years, only three teams have finished the year with a worse EFG% and won the title.

Twice it was the Bulls during their first 3-peat and the 00-01 Lakers who steamrolled through the Playoffs, losing only one game.

timvp
05-10-2007, 02:16 AM
My favorite series to watch all-time was Spurs vs. Knicks in '99. I'm a fan of defense first, slow paced basketball. To me, that's basketball at it's best.

But I also like pitching duels in baseball and field goal battles in the NFL, so I might just be weird like that.

mathbzh
05-10-2007, 02:45 AM
I like the style oppositions. It is cool to see the #1 devense vs. the #1 offense.
But I don't really enjoy the Suns game when they play against teams like GSW or Denver when both team look that they are only trying to run faster.

mathbzh
05-10-2007, 02:48 AM
My favorite series to watch all-time was Spurs vs. Knicks in '99. I'm a fan of defense first, slow paced basketball. To me, that's basketball at it's best.

If you don't, you should watch euroleague games.

Gaddabout
05-10-2007, 04:47 AM
The Suns are a gimmick(a tired one at that). Their style of basketball won't ever win a championships:

I was under the impression professional basketball was about matchups and team play. Do you honestly believe Auerbach was looking at an EGF% chart when they were racing up and down the floor in the 60s? He might've kicked someone in the family jewels if they called it a gimmick.

Johnny RIngo
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I was under the impression professional basketball was about matchups and team play. Do you honestly believe Auerbach was looking at an EGF% chart when they were racing up and down the floor in the 60s? He might've kicked someone in the family jewels if they called it a gimmick.

Teams need defense to win championships in the modern NBA. The EGF chart proves this. The Suns style is a gimmick that won't win them a 'ship. If the Spurs don't knock them out it'll be the Pistons or any other half-decent defensive team. History doesn't lie.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I love watching the Suns, at least on the one end of the court where they actually play like a team.

v2freak
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't find their style of play very fun to watch. Then again, I am different from most people; I enjoy watching TD's game a lot but I hate watching Nash run around in circles with his over-sized shorts and then pull up for a fade away or a left handed lay up.

kyle macy
05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I can end this dispute for all of you....YES the Suns style of play IS entertaining :toast