PDA

View Full Version : Suns have Spurs matched up really well

Spursfan101
05-09-2007, 08:32 PM
The Suns put Shawn Marion on Tony Parker last night which kept Parker out of the lane and forced him to make some really bad decisions. Nash was on Bowen which worked out for Pheonix because Bruce is an offensive liability and Nash didn't have to chase Parker all over the floor. Outside of Duncan(the only one who let his nuts hang in game 2) i'm worried the Suns have got us figured out.

What do you guys think?

LaMarcus Bryant
05-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Offensive minded teams have acquired defensive minded players in an attempt to matchup better with the spurs in the past, and the only time it came close to working was last year when we beat ourselves.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 08:45 PM
The Suns put Shawn Marion on Tony Parker last night which kept Parker out of the lane and forced him to make some really bad decisions. Nash was on Bowen which worked out for Pheonix because Bruce is an offensive liability and Nash didn't have to chase Parker all over the floor. Outside of Duncan(the only one who let his nuts hang in game 2) i'm worried the Suns have got us figured out.

What do you guys think?

The Suns made nice adjustments and had a great game plan. The Spurs were caught off guard. I think that Sunday morning we'll have long forgotten this thread and we'll be posting in a "Spurs have Suns matched up really well". The Spurs will adjust.

THE SIXTH MAN
05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
The Suns made nice adjustments and had a great game plan. The Spurs were caught off guard. I think that Sunday morning we'll have long forgotten this thread and we'll be posting in a "Spurs have Suns matched up really well". The Spurs will adjust.
:tu

Spursfan101
05-09-2007, 08:49 PM

I only hope your right.

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I am. I know I'm right. Elson still needs to be pimpslapped for missing that dunk, though. That bitch.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-09-2007, 09:13 PM
but why would the spurs be caught off guard when everyone knew going into game 2 kurt thomas would be starting. spurs players were interviewed before game 2 about the adjustment. I think while Thomas in the lineup helped phoenix, the spurs happiness with getting game 1 had them doomed going into game 2 no matter what.

i expect a much different game 3

Capt Bringdown
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Raja Bell on Manu seems to be working very well, although how much of that can be attributed to Manu's slump will be answered in the next game (I hope).

KT actually did a good job on Duncan. Half of Duncan's 3rd quarter rampage occurred when KT was on the bench. KT did some scoring as well. Good move by the Suns coach.

In fact, it looked like every move the Suns did last game worked. They've got to be feeling a lot better.

sunsbum
05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I am. I know I'm right. Elson still needs to be pimpslapped for missing that dunk, though. That bitch.

have you got around to even seeing the game yet? :rolleyes

GrandeDavid
05-09-2007, 09:29 PM
have you got around to even seeing the game yet? :rolleyes

I don't have time. I am busy enough with home and career life, especially trying to manage property and a company in Brazil and another in Phat Antonio. But I will be back in San Antonio in a couple of weeks, and as a co-season ticket holder, I plan on catching all of the Western Conference Finals home games. I think Utah will give the Spurs a little more trouble than Phoenix. ;)

But I did see the clip of Elson's athletic attempt at a hardcore jam.

Capt Bringdown
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
If the Suns can produce similar defensive intensity, we're in serious trouble.
The Phoenix coach was right-The Suns are the better team, offensively at least. If they can maintain defensive pressure to slow the Spurs, then it's their game.
If we try to match their offensive intensity, then we're playing their game.

Brilliant adjustment by Phoenix, at least for this game.

sunsbum
05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
well, heres my thoughts on what the spurs can do...not that this is gunna be anything that hasnt already been put out there but here goes..

1.) get KT the F out of there ASAP go at him the first 6 or so possesions of the game, they really let kurt be physical with tim and i was actually suprised to see him get away with as much as he did even though he WAS playing spectacular defense.

2.) Take the ball to the damn hoop. Manu...i know you dont have joe johnson gaurding you this year and i know you hate playing agains bell, but put the ball on the floor and get some kind of momentum going for yourself and the entire offense. Fins also needs to put the ball on the floor, if you guys are just going to stand out there and wait to chuck threes we will win. same with tony, i know your shot has gotten better over the past 2 years but your game is taking it to the hole....QUIT SETTLING FOR JUMPERS.

3.) i noticed the lakers pressured nash with 2 guys as soon as he got across the halfcourt line...make nash work, the more dribbles steve takes the more dangerous he becomes. get it out of his hands early. i know its easier said then done but it can be done.. of course youre never going to shut him down but take away his weapon which is keeping the ball alive.

4.) when nash is out and barbs is running the point, make him a passer..as you can see hes not a great distributor.

5.) make your shots and foul shots becuase you know we are:)

6.) all that being said....good luck.

jmard5
05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I'd rather make this thread if the series go game 4.

Extra Stout
05-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Overreacting.

RonMexico
05-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I'd rather make this thread if the series go game 4.

Guess what... it will go to Game 4... in fact, it will even go past Game 4... did you not take math in school?

cly2tw
05-10-2007, 02:27 AM
I think Spurs have to figure out better ways for Duncan and Parker screen/pick game to work. Kurt not only defended TD with single-coverage well, but also sealed the path and angles on numerous p&r's very well. Also, Marion could slow down TD for a couple of seconds when switch is forced. Pop should have some more tricks in his bag to solve this problem. That's an additional advantage of having Marion cover Parker. Well, in the end it may again come down to execution and will power.

Gaddabout
05-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Over on the Suns board, the consensus is the Spurs will utilize double picks to get Parker and Manu loose in the lane. KT knows how to play defense off picks, but isn't quick enough to adjust. Amare has the quickness, but probably needs another two or three years studying with KT before he develops a clue.

Xylus
05-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Over on the Suns board, the consensus is the Spurs will utilize double picks to get Parker and Manu loose in the lane. KT knows how to play defense off picks, but isn't quick enough to adjust. Amare has the quickness, but probably needs another two or three years studying with KT before he develops a clue.
What's the best way to counter a double-pick? In other words, are the Suns capable of countering such a strategy?

Gaddabout
05-10-2007, 06:28 AM
What's the best way to counter a double-pick? In other words, are the Suns capable of countering such a strategy?

Same way you counter any screen. You can either switch or go underneath. Going over the pick (preferable, as always) usually requires a heady defender with good feet, and you'd rather give up an open J than an easy run to the bucket.

Before we ask if the Suns are capable of countering a double pick, we have to ask if the Spurs are capable of setting two quality picks. You know Duncan's pick is going to be solid as oak. The next guy ... depends who picking.

rascal
05-10-2007, 06:37 AM
I don't have time. I am busy enough with home and career life, especially trying to manage property and a company in Brazil and another in Phat Antonio. But I will be back in San Antonio in a couple of weeks, and as a co-season ticket holder, I plan on catching all of the Western Conference Finals home games. I think Utah will give the Spurs a little more trouble than Phoenix. ;)

But I did see the clip of Elson's athletic attempt at a hardcore jam.

Forget about catching the spurs in the western conference finals. They are not moving on.