PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if I'm wrong

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I have been a Kansas City Royals fan my whole life, I used to go to a ton of games when I was growing up and I thought the most beautiful sight in the world was the Kauffman Stadium fountains shooting high into the air with the dark blue sky and solid green grass framing them, but I have sinced moved from Kansas City and the Royals have moved to the cellar of the AL Central for 9/10 years. I've seen them let go Johnny Damon, Raul Ibanez, Carlos Beltran, Jeff Suppan, and Jermaine Dye all without a fight. I've never been to a Royals playoff game in my life, or even seen one on TV for that matter, thats because they've never been there during my lifetime :depressed.
When I was hanging all my stuff on the walls after moving into a different house here in Tucson I had space for one more item, I could hang a third Spurs wall banner, or the only Royals flag I had, I of course picked the Spurs banner without thinking and now I need help picking something else: A new favorite team. I know the future in KC looks somewhat bright with Alex Gordon, John Buck, David Dejesus, Mark Teahen and Zack Greinke all supposed to become great players, but I would rather not see them all leave in 5 years for money the Royals just wont spend. Keep in mind the owner is one of the richest men in America (David Glass). I just want to leave this sorry ass team and root for one that will at least TRY and keep their homegrown talent if theyre not going to be active in free agency, so who should I root for? And am I wrong for jumping overboard on my hometown team? I feel that ownership has given up on the fans and franchise, so why would it matter if the fans did the same.

Spurminator
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I've never had this experience, but I bet it would be very hard to permanently cast the Royals aside if you've been a fan of theirs for that long. Can you imagine if your new team plays the Royals? How would you feel rooting against them? And what if the Royals make a run at the World Series? Can you really keep yourself from jumping back aboard the bandwagon?

Melmart1
05-10-2007, 01:00 PM
NEVER give up on your team!!

Signed,

A Rangers Fan

MajorMike
05-10-2007, 01:01 PM
For some reason the Royals never got the 'loveable loser' tag like the scrubbies did. Maybe thats because the Royals actually have a pretty decent history. Nowadays, you are correct, tho... you can bet both TB and KC will be in the cellar every year (along with the scrubbies being overrated every pre-season).

I'd say stick with it. I still admit I'm a Raiders fan. I've always been a Cards fan, even thru the lean late 80s early 90s era. This way you can say, "Oh, yea? Well I was a fan back when we lost 19 in a row," or "I was a fan when we became only the 11th team in MLB history to lose over 100 games 3 years in a row."

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-10-2007, 01:45 PM
For some reason the Royals never got the 'loveable loser' tag like the scrubbies did. Maybe thats because the Royals actually have a pretty decent history. Nowadays, you are correct, tho... you can bet both TB and KC will be in the cellar every year (along with the scrubbies being overrated every pre-season).

I'd say stick with it. I still admit I'm a Raiders fan. I've always been a Cards fan, even thru the lean late 80s early 90s era. This way you can say, "Oh, yea? Well I was a fan back when we lost 19 in a row," or "I was a fan when we became only the 11th team in MLB history to lose over 100 games 3 years in a row."

See but the Royals do not even TRY to improve. Its basically a sure thing that every star we have ends up elsewhere before the end of their contract year. Royals = Glorified farm team for the big spenders.

Spurminator
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
They said the same thing about the Twins for a while.

MajorMike
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
And Indians.

K-State Spur
05-10-2007, 05:15 PM

That's true. At the end of the 1989 season, you could make a pretty strong argument that the Royals were still one of the best handful of franchises in baseball. The K used to be full every night.

And while it's easy to forget now, the Royals do have a title in the past quarter century and had another 5 or 6 teams that were good enough to win if they had caught a few breaks.

BUMP
05-10-2007, 05:17 PM
so who should I root for? And am I wrong for jumping overboard on my hometown team?

yes only if you let me root for the Spurs this year since the Mavs are out.

deal with it. thats what being a true fan is about. and yes ive been a Ranger fan all my life

TheTruth
05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Well man, I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan. Always will be. They suck, but I love 'em.

timvp
05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm a die hard Expos fan. Even after my team died, I didn't jump to a different bandwagon.

Royals > Expos

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Well man, I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan. Always will be. They suck, but I love 'em.

Yeah but at least you know when you go to a game or watch it that they have a chance to win a game here and there, and you guys have Grifey, Dunn, Encarnacion. Royals have shit, and ownership couldnt care less about the people that fill their fucking stadium every game, I could see if they actually tried to build a team but I want to kick my cats every time I think that we could have had an outfield consiting of Carlos Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Jermaine Dye.

BUMP
05-11-2007, 08:04 AM
thats part of what being a true fan is about, you dont just hop onto another good teams bandwagon if you dont think your has a chance at winning. thats ridiculous. no wonder your a Spurs fan........ :rolleyes

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
thats part of what being a true fan is about, you dont just hop onto another good teams bandwagon if you dont think your has a chance at winning. thats ridiculous. no wonder your a Spurs fan........ :rolleyes

Hey dickhead, when did I say I was going to jump ship for a winning team? A team that tries to field a COMPETITIVE squad would be 100x more than what the Royals have ever provided. No wonder you can't use you're the right way.

leemajors
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey dickhead, when did I say I was going to jump ship for a winning team? A team that tries to field a COMPETITIVE squad would be 100x more than what the Royals have ever provided. No wonder you can't use you're the right way.

I just want to leave this sorry ass team and root for one that will at least TRY and keep their homegrown talent if theyre not going to be active in free agency, so who should I root for? And am I wrong for jumping overboard on my hometown team?

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-11-2007, 03:51 PM
So you just reinforced the point I was trying to make?

leemajors
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
So you just reinforced the point I was trying to make?

the one where you said you were not jumping ship, but you said you were earlier?

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-11-2007, 04:04 PM
the one where you said you were not jumping ship, but you said you were earlier?

Read again bro, I said I wasn't just hopping to a team that is tearing up the league and winning, what I said was a team that at least try to keep their homegrown talent and compete. Hell I'll even root for the Cubs if I have to

TheSanityAnnex
05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
"what team should I root for?"

Pathetic.

leemajors
05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Read again bro, I said I wasn't just hopping to a team that is tearing up the league and winning, what I said was a team that at least try to keep their homegrown talent and compete. Hell I'll even root for the Cubs if I have to

dumping your team is dumping your team.

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
how do you know your team isnt "trying?" unless you know them personally you dont know how hard they try to put a winning team on the field.

so now you wanna change teams. pathetic

K-State Spur
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Have you been paying attention over the past year? Things are clearly different with the Royals since Drayton Moore took over. Plus, there is the Gil Meche contract (which is looking like a bargain compared to some of the other pitching contracts that were given out) that leads one to believe that the Royals are going to spend some money. They'll never be up there with the Yankees or Bosox, but they should be around the A's and Twins in the very near future.

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-11-2007, 09:43 PM
dumping your team is dumping your team.

I dont see it that way, I could understand if I was a long time Bosox fan before they won the title and I gave up, but the Royals are a bit different. Ever since the new GM came in yes things have changed for the better, but one big pitching contract over the past 15 years is nothing for me to get excited over. :rolleyes Especially after whats happened in just the past 5 years with our stars, pathetic? I dont think so. We'll see what happens with Gordon, Teahen, Dejesus, German, and Greinke, but my guess is four of them end up playing elsewhere by the end of their contracts years.

Melmart1
05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Never, ever give up on your team. Never.

NorCal510
05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
"what team should I root for?"

Pathetic.
agreed

Extra Stout
05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
The Royals are kind of unique, in that their owner makes no attempt whatsoever to field a competitive product, being content merely to pocket his piece of baseball's revenue sharing.

By doing so, he forsakes any claims upon loyalty from the fans.

A fan, therefore, is free to stop rooting for the Royals without being deemed a bandwagoner, especially if he has relocated from the KC area. If he does so, the appropriate thing to do is to start following the local team, which in this case would be the Diamondbacks.

It would be inauthentic all of a sudden to become a die-hard D-backs fan, though. Don't use them as a rebound team. Ease into it.

K-State Spur
05-14-2007, 06:18 PM
The Royals are kind of unique, in that their owner makes no attempt whatsoever to field a competitive product, being content merely to pocket his piece of baseball's revenue sharing.

That's UNIQUE to the Royals? What sport have you been watching?

Chris
05-16-2007, 06:56 AM
NEVER give up on your team!!

Signed,

A Rangers Fan
:toast