PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Morals.

GoldToe
11-24-2004, 04:16 PM
In the same way that anti-abortion fanatics co-opted the phrase "pro-life" (as if the rest of us were "anti-life" or "pro-death"), the same immoral minority are attempting to shove their puritanical standards down our throats by calling them "values."

In the first place, everyone has values. Osama bin Laden has values. Our worst enemy, George W. Bush, has values. My neighbor's dog has values. "Values" are the things we perceive as valuable. They are what we find enjoyable and pleasant. They are ideas that make us feel better about ourselves.

All the major religions are founded on the same values. Try to be the best person you can be, tell the truth, and don't try to cheat or steal from the other guy. Human beings have corrupted the original intent of religions for their own gain.

But I think we can all still agree on some basic values. These have nothing to do with rituals or agendas, like going to church on Sunday or voting Republican. Values are things we were taught when we were young. As in:

--It's wrong to beat up on the other guy, especially if he's smaller/weaker than you are.

--Everyone deserves their privacy.

--Be nice to everyone you meet, because you never know what's going to happen down the road.

--Tell the truth in as nice a way as possible.

--Things go more smoothly if we put aside our differences and all work together.

I've probably left out some important values, but these will do for a start.

Let's all focus on these things and make sure we stay clear on what "values" really are. Because if we let our glorious leaders define the word for us, we're going to be in big trouble very soon.

So why don't you conservatives put a sock in it already!

JohnnyMarzetti
11-24-2004, 05:41 PM
You'd think conservatives are the only ones with morals. :rolleyes