PDA

View Full Version : increase your gas milage...

phyzik
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Don't know how many of you are car freaks but I've been reading up on using pure acetone as an additive to your fuel.

Most people see an increase of 2%-15% from the people I have talked to on some car forums but some have even reached an increased millage of 25%.

This doesnt work for everyone or every single engine, lots of testing has been done, if not used in proper doses (too much) it could damage your rubber seals in your engine.

Was just curious if anyone else has heard about this or even tried it, if your interested you can read up on it here: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_Additive:FAQ

Extra Stout
05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I seriously doubt that acetone changes the combustion properties of gasoline, but it does have a high octane rating, and it will do a nice job of cleaning carbon deposits out of an engine, which would explain the improved mileage.

Since it is oxygenated, the improved emissions makes sense.

My concern would be not only with the damage to elastomers, but also that acetone mixes well with water, and could set up some serious engine corrosion if used long-term.