PDA

View Full Version : It's official Dirk is MVP....

florige
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Will be named MVP Tuesday>> Congrats.... Dallas Fans!! :clap

kris
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Ice the turnip juice.

kps0001
05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
congrats and enjoy it Dirk. You will probably never see another one.

samikeyp
05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Its official....I am laughing my ass off.

florige
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Maaan Dallas fans are going to be celebrating HARD tonight! I'm happy for the city of Dallas tonight. :)

judaspriestess
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
The ceremony will make a great Southwest Airlines commercial.

"Wanna Get Away"

Budkin
05-10-2007, 10:11 PM
It's ironic that he is now out but the MVP has always been based on the regular season and Dirk was pretty awesome in the regular season. *shrug*

timvp
05-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Seriously Mav Fan congrats. This tops the three-point shootout trophy for the highest honor in franchise history.

This was a season no one will ever forget :tu

tmtcsc
05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Missing Valuable Player

florige
05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Seriously Mav Fan congrats. This tops the three-point shootout trophy for the highest honor in franchise history.

Classy post dude....Classy post... :cry

dbreiden83080
05-10-2007, 10:18 PM
LOL will he even show up to get his trophy or request that they Fed-EX it to him? :p:

mavsfan1000
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
The great thing is that Dirk always plays better in the playoffs. I am looking forward to how much he steps up this year.

LilMissSPURfect

"Wanna Get Away"

:lol :lol :oops

bigFUNDAMENTAL
congrats and enjoy it Dirk. You will probably never see another one.
true

ducks
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
NBA's worst kept secret will be out next week.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, whose coronation as the first European-born Most Valuable Player in NBA history has been expected for weeks, is scheduled to officially receive the MVP trophy at a Tuesday news conference in Dallas, ESPN.com has learned.

The NBA has handed out its past three MVPs -- two straight to Phoenix's Steve Nash after Minnesota's Kevin Garnett won in 2004 -- at the start of the second round. But it's believed the league opted to put some distance between Nowitzki's ceremony and the Mavericks' stunning first-round exit against Golden State.

By the time Nowitzki collects his award, nearly two weeks will have elapsed since the 67-win Mavs became the just the third No. 1 seed in NBA history to lose to a No. 8 seed. The previous two No. 1 seeds to lose so quickly, however, suffered five-game exits as opposed to losing a seven-game series: Seattle in 1994 to Denver and Miami in 1999 to New York.

Said Nowitzki, reached by phone Thursday night: "Nobody's told me anything. You [media] guys have been talking about it for a while, so let's see what happens.

"[But] it's hard to even think about that stuff right now. Everything [from the Golden State series] is still pretty fresh. It's been some tough days since we lost.

"I thought this was such an incredible year. We won 67 games and then to lose in the first round, it just feels so empty right now."

Asked to imagine what an MVP ceremony would be like after such a disappointment, Nowitzki said: "If I do get it, it's an incredible honor. I'm sure 20 years from now or whatever, to see that in the [record] books, it's an amazing achievement. But right now, it's hard. Obviously, you can't feel good about the way our season ended."

Nowitzki averaged 24.6 points, 8.9 rebounds and a career-best 3.4 assists during the regular season and was the only player in the league to shoot at least 50 percent from the field (.502), 40 percent from 3-point range (.416) and 90 percent from the free-throw line (.904). His percentages in each of those categories were career highs, helping Nowitzki secure his third successive berth on the All-NBA first team, which was announced earlier Thursday.

But it all changed in the playoffs against longtime mentor Don Nelson, who crafted a defensive strategy -- which included constant double-teaming, largely by fronting Nowitzki and then sending over help defenders on his catches -- that the 7-footer and Mavs coach Avery Johnson never solved. Nowitzki scored just eight points on 2-for-13 shooting in Dallas' Game 6 elimination and wound up averaging a mere 19.7 points for the series on 38.3-percent shooting and just 21.1 percent on 3s.

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Dirk deserves the MVP. Hopefully Stern will do the right thing and will retroactively overturn the results of the Golden State series since we would've won without the refs screwing us. 67-15 speaks for itself. We also have the best fans, including David Hasselhoff of Baywatch and KnightRider fame. Look at him attack that burger the way we attacked the league this year. David Hasselhoff 67, Burger 15:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/david_drunk2.jpg

Aguirre, Wrath of God:

http://www.nba.com/media/history/dal_uni_02.jpg

Borosai
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I feel sorry for the guy.

bdictjames
05-10-2007, 10:30 PM
He deserves it. Props to Dirk.

Hopefully this will give him motivation and use it in next year's playoffs.

ducks
05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
yeah he has all that money to get surgery to get some balls

austinfan
05-10-2007, 10:34 PM
You know, Dirk is not what bothers me about the Mavericks. What bothers me about the Mavericks are their owner, their coach and "JET." I actually feel bad for Dirk because I think he has a coach who doesn't know how to get the best out of him--Avery only knows one speed and one intensity and if, as a player, you don't fit into that rubric, your performance is going to suffer eventually.

Pistonfan1
05-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow what a terrible choice. The NBA looks bad now because of this. The MVP award has been disgraced to all the former winners. People say Nash was the worst MVP winner which I think is bullshit because he plays like an MVP. He isnt afraid to hit big shots and is a proven leader on that team. he doesnt call out his teamates unless it is really for a reason (Game 1 against the spurs this year). To anyone who claimed Nash was the worst mvp choice ever, Dirk easily took that label away from him today. I cant even remember the last time the winner of the MVP lost in round 1. This is sad.

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I cant even remember the last time the winner of the MVP lost in round 1. This is sad.

Moses Malone. Look it up. He was a fluke. Dirk is the real deal.

LilMissSPURfect
05-10-2007, 10:37 PM
best player on the best team.....props for all the hard work!

CharlieMac
05-10-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/061306dnmetmavparade.128518df.html

Let me add some extra flava' to this thread.

angel_luv
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I think Dirk is all right.
I wish they had given him this award in the regular season when he could feel like he earned it.

Pistonfan1
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM

Real deal? In the regular season Iirk may be a badass but the son of a bitch cant handle physical play from other teams. Real deals arent scared to take big shots and arent scared of contact. They dont get humilated in the first round either. Nash is the real deal a hell of alot more than Irk is.

florige
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I think Dirk is all right.
I wish they had given him this award in the regular season when he could feel like he earned it.

True. If I were him, right now I wouldn't give a crap about that award with the way I went out.

dav4463
05-10-2007, 10:42 PM

"Wanna Get Away"

Great post! Mind if I use that and say I thought of it?!!!

MavericksDynasty
05-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Real deal? In the regular season Dirk may be a badass but the son of a bitch cant handle physical play from other teams. Real deals arent scared to take big shots and arent scared of contact. They dont get humilated in the first round either.

It's hard to win when you're playing five on eight. In a fair fight, we sweep Golden State easily. The refs gave it to them. Hey, don't be mad at me because the Mavs are the best team and the league has to screw and cheat them out of what is rightfully theirs. I make predictions that turn out to be correct and people hate me for it, along with the fact that I refuse to worship the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Pistonfan1
05-10-2007, 10:44 PM

Why? Alot of the blame is on him for not stepping up when the team really needed him to. He knows jack shit on being a leader and has zero mental toughness. It is a team game but when your so called leader isnt doing his job, the blame begins with him.

samikeyp
05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
At least he will have plenty of time to polish the trophy. :)

kris
You know, Dirk is not what bothers me about the Mavericks. What bothers me about the Mavericks are their owner, their coach and "JET." I actually feel bad for Dirk because I think he has a coach who doesn't know how to get the best out of him--Avery only knows one speed and one intensity and if, as a player, you don't fit into that rubric, your performance is going to suffer eventually.

You are right on. Avery needs to learn not every player's personality benefits from a pushy loudmouth no matter how many times you plug that you got cut on Christmas day. Coaches need to understand different personalities to get the most out of them.

I feel bad for Dirk too. He did choke, but at least he answered the phone with the AP on the line. I don't know if I would have picked up the line if I were in his shoes. Actually, if I were him I'd probably go to the press conference and admit I choked and say maybe after next playoffs I can prove I deserve this.

Pistonfan1
It's hard to win when you're playing five on eight. In a fair fight, we sweep Golden State easily. The refs gave it to them. Hey, don't be mad at me because the Mavs are the best team and the league has to screw and cheat them out of what is rightfully theirs. I make predictions that turn out to be correct and people hate me for it, along with the fact that I refuse to worship the Minnesota Timberwolves.

:) :) I just saw your username and totally understand what you are now saying.

baseline bum
05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3376/mavsbi6.jpg

kris

Are you trying to copy me when I mocked the Mavs by pretending it was the referees fault?

...or are you just stupid?

Pistons < Spurs

Ohhhh Shit......

:lol

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Are you trying to copy me when I mocked the Mavs by pretending it was the referees fault?

...or are you just stupid?

look at his name and compare him to another guy

angel_luv
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM

"Wanna Get Away"

Very funny, Jud! :lol :tu

dav4463
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Dirk cheated on that 3-pt shot contest anyway! One of those shots came after the buzzer and his foot was on the line on a couple! Refs blew it! Might as well kick the mavs while they're down I say!

baseline bum
05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Dirk should show up drunk as shit to pick up his trophy. You think Stern will even come to the press conference, or will the trophy be presented to Dirk by Andre Aldridge?

florige
05-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Dirk cheated on that 3-pt shot contest anyway! One of those shots came after the buzzer and his foot was on the line on a couple! Refs blew it! Might as well kick the mavs while they're down I say!

I forgot all about he won that 3-point contest till tonight. But guys you are forgetting that Dirk WOULD had won MVP of the finals last year had they won.

Amarelooms
05-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Congrats Dirk

bdictjames
05-10-2007, 10:55 PM
As soon as Dirk gets the trophy he leaves a note and runs away

dbreiden83080
05-10-2007, 10:57 PM
What will his acceptance speech by like.

"I would like to thank my teammates for always believing in me even though i failed them when it mattered most"

"Mark Cuban for being fucking stupid enough to think he could build a championship team around me"

"And my coach for being dumb enough to assume i would be aggressive and lead my team to victory against a mediocre 8 seed in the playoffs"

bdictjames
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
http://www.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0531/nba_g_dirk_395.jpg

xamila rey
05-10-2007, 11:09 PM
i feel a lit bit sorry for him,
well nahhhhh.
not really.

ponky
05-10-2007, 11:16 PM
to those spurs fans et al who gave dirks some props for the regular season, you guys are alright, thanks for being cool about it. i feel bad for dirk but i can't deny that i'm at least a little excited that he's finally gotten the mvp for his regular season play (i thought he deserved it last year). hopefully dirk will use this to work out some kinnks, come back next year and work even harder (in the playoffs) and i hope the mavs f.o. makes the right changes in the off-season.

i still can't believe there are people responding to mavericksdynasty's posts as if he was being serious, it's a freakin' shtick and kind of funny but a shtick nonetheless, don't get all hot and bothered with the posts

lefty
05-10-2007, 11:18 PM

judaspriestess
05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Great post! Mind if I use that and say I thought of it?!!!

:lol Sure!!

judaspriestess
05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Very funny, Jud! :lol :tu

teehee............ :p:

dg7md
05-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Dirk's a good guy, but this has to feel bad for Dallas fans.

mavs>spurs2
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM

LMAO :lmao :lmao :lmao

nkdlunch
05-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Good for Dirt. It was not his fault the whole team including the coach choked w/him.

it's unfair to blame it all on him. He is a jumpshooter w/mediocre defense. Mav fans knew this going into the playoffs. They should have also known a guy like that could never carry a team to a championship.

kps0001
05-10-2007, 11:48 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/nkdlunch/suns_gang9.jpg

ponky
05-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Dirk's a good guy, but this has to feel bad for Dallas fans.

not at all, i'm happy he's getting the mvp, it's a regular season honor and the mavs had a good regular season. if you wanna talk about feeling bad, i'll talk about the playoffs although i'm mostly over the mavs loss and looking forward to next season while still watching the pistons roll. yeah, i'm pissed about the playoffs, not pissed about dirk getting the mvp award, i'm happy he got it because he deserved it last year.

ponky
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Good for Dirt. It was not his fault the whole team including the coach choked w/him.

it's unfair to blame it all on him. He is a jumpshooter w/mediocre defense. Mav fans knew this going into the playoffs. They should have also known a guy like that could never carry a team to a championship.

lol at marion in your siggy

spurs=bling
05-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Congrats to Dirk for getting the MVP

P<S, sweet sig :tu

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3216/playoffsigcopywe3.png

Findog
05-11-2007, 12:04 AM
i still can't believe there are people responding to mavericksdynasty's posts as if he was being serious, it's a freakin' shtick and kind of funny but a shtick nonetheless, don't get all hot and bothered with the posts

There's a shallow end of the pool for every fanbase. There are some great Spurs fans on here, like FromWayDowntown, mardigan, Obstructed View, to name just a few, and then there are the idiots. It's funny how they act as if our fanbase is the only one that has homer trolls and morons.

mVp
05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
nash got robbed

ashbeeigh
05-11-2007, 02:01 AM
:vomit: Oh happy day.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-11-2007, 02:44 AM
There's a shallow end of the pool for every fanbase. There are some great Spurs fans on here, like FromWayDowntown, mardigan, Obstructed View, to name just a few, and then there are the idiots. It's funny how they act as if our fanbase is the only one that has homer trolls and morons.
What are you talking about?

I noticed lots of the people responding to MavsDynasty appeared to be just out of the know, or unaware of the NBA forum's Dynasty joke threads where all those Dynasty names started appearing this week. I don't think they're exactly idiots for not being aware of the inside jokes that go on here all the time.
Sometimes people assume users are being straight. I don't think people getting pissed off at the MavsDynasty joke account, it has anything to do with stereotyping fanbases.

milkyway21
05-11-2007, 02:46 AM
Dirk deserves the MVP. Hopefully Stern will do the right thing and will retroactively overturn the results of the Golden State series since we would've won without the refs screwing us. 67-15 speaks for itself. We also have the best fans, including David Hasselhoff of Baywatch and KnightRider fame. Look at him attack that burger the way we attacked the league this year. David Hasselhoff 67, Burger 15:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/david_drunk2.jpg

Aguirre, Wrath of God:

http://www.nba.com/media/history/dal_uni_02.jpg:lmao

& enough of the refs screwing your team :D GS played better.

anyway, i am happy Dallas lost in the first round but my :tu to Dirk, he deserves his MVP.

Said Nowitzki, reached by phone Thursday night: "Nobody's told me anything. You [media] guys have been talking about it for a while, so let's see what happens.

"[But] it's hard to even think about that stuff right now. Everything [from the Golden State series] is still pretty fresh. It's been some tough days since we lost.

"I thought this was such an incredible year. We won 67 games and then to lose in the first round, it just feels so empty right now."

Asked to imagine what an MVP ceremony would be like after such a disappointment, Nowitzki said: "If I do get it, it's an incredible honor. I'm sure 20 years from now or whatever, to see that in the [record] books, it's an amazing achievement. But right now, it's hard. Obviously, you can't feel good about the way our season ended."

J.T.
05-11-2007, 04:38 AM
nash got robbed

Not really. Dirk should have won it last year, and Nash this year. So it evens out in my mind.

Texas_Ranger
05-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Not really. Dirk should have won it last year, and Nash this year. So it evens out in my mind.

Agree.

Jimcs50
05-11-2007, 08:05 AM
How does he get it over Nash????

SAGambler
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
How does he get it over Nash????

I think because he probably should have gotten it over Nash last year. Like those nonexistent "make up calls" when the refs know they blew one. I think this years MVP was probably decided at the end of last year.

Dirk did have a "good" regular season. But IMO, Josh Howard is more the leader of that team than Dirk is.

But theoretically, since the MVP is supposed to be the player that his team can't win without, a lot of guys could actually claim that award....

longrod
05-11-2007, 08:35 AM

I thought the Western Conference rings have more prestige.

LEONARD
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Fuck yea!!!! :fro

BigBeezie
05-11-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree with what someone else had said. I only dislike the Mavericks because of Cuban and Jason Terry. They are two of the biggest a-holes affiliated with the NBA.

florige
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I agree with what someone else had said. I only dislike the Mavericks because of Cuban and Jason Terry. They are two of the biggest a-holes affiliated with the NBA.

I think just about everyone hates the Mavs because of Cuban and usually someone else. Cuban's name is normally always there. :spin

cherylsteele
05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Moses Malone was a fluke???
He carried many rocket teams in playoffs and one to the finals.
He was the difference in '82-'83 for 76ers great playoff run.

Sportcamper
05-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Based on performance in crunch time...I think that it is unfair to give the MVP to Dirk...It probably should have gone to Smush Parker instead....

VaSpursFan
05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
dirk is a fanatastic, regular season player and deserves the award this year.

now when the stakes are high when the real season starts (i.e., the playoffs), the shrinkage factor occurs. i'm hoping he gets over it because dirk is the only mav i like.

tmtcsc
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Do you think Dirk was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out after Game 6 and tell him he just got Punk'd ? That the GS Warriors baskets had magnets in them and that the ball had a magnet too ? Damn, that would have been funny.

Mavs fan must still be having nightmares.

Extra Stout
05-11-2007, 12:05 PM
MVP = Mitleiderregender Verlierende Packesel

mabber
05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I think because he probably should have gotten it over Nash last year. Like those nonexistent "make up calls" when the refs know they blew one. I think this years MVP was probably decided at the end of last year.

Dirk did have a "good" regular season. But IMO, Josh Howard is more the leader of that team than Dirk is.

But theoretically, since the MVP is supposed to be the player that his team can't win without, a lot of guys could actually claim that award....

I'm still not sure why most everyone thinks Dirk is the leader on the Mavs??? Of course, as the best player he probably should be the leader but he's just not wired that way. Josh Howard is not a leader as well. Stack & Avery are the leaders and that's probably one of their problems as the 6th man and the coach shouldn't be the leaders IMO.

florige
05-11-2007, 12:42 PM

now when the stakes are high when the real season starts (i.e., the playoffs), the shrinkage factor occurs. i'm hoping he gets over it because dirk is the only mav i like.

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. He plays like crap in the playoffs EXCEPT when he's playing us. It's like every shot that SOB throws up against us manages to drop. It's when he's playing against everyone else he plays like pure crap!

DallasFan
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you think Dirk was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out after Game 6 and tell him he just got Punk'd ? That the GS Warriors baskets had magnets in them and that the ball had a magnet too ? Damn, that would have been funny.

Mavs fan must still be having nightmares.

Yeah, but someone seems to have reversed the magnets...those shots aren't dropping against the Jazz like they did against the Mavs. :greedy

mabber
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Maybe you should take a peek at his playoff history. It's damn good with many more clutch moments than choke moments.

Findog
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. He plays like crap in the playoffs EXCEPT when he's playing us. It's like every shot that SOB throws up against us manages to drop. It's when he's playing against everyone else he plays like pure crap!

This is knee-jerking at its worst and ignores his entire body of work. He was crap against Miami and Golden State, but he was pure gold against Phoenix last year after we had eliminated the Spurs. Dude only hung 50 on the Suns in the pivotal Game Five. Dirk's won 8 playoff series. And here's another stat for you: The Dirk-era Mavericks are 5-0 in Game Seven/best of five Game 5's.

Criticize him all you want for his last two playoff series, and it's well deserved, but do you even watch any games your team isn't involved in?

Game Five of the 2001 Quarterfinals, Dallas beats Utah to clinch the series 3-2.

Dirk: 18 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 10-10 from the FT line. Dallas was a young team making its first playoff appearance in 11 years, and they were on the road against Stockton and Malone.

Game Seven of the 2003 Quarterfinals, Dallas beats Portland to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 31 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 12-21 from the floor, 6-6 from the line

Game Seven of the 2003 Semifinals, Dallas beats Sacramento to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 30 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 12-20 from the the floor

Game Seven of the 2005 Quarterfinals, Dallas beats Houston to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 14 points, 14 rebounds, 5-14 from the floor. A bad game for sure, but a little misleading in that Dallas won 116-76 in a game that was over halfway through the 1st quarter.

Game Seven of the 2006 Semifinals, Dallas beats San Antonio to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 37 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 11-20 from the floor.

Here is his line from the series-clinching loss to Miami in Game 6, where he played well despite his team losing:

29 points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 10-22 from the floor.

You're going to have to do better and take Dirk's entire body of work into account before spouting off in an ill-informed manner. He's come up woefully short in clutch situations and he's also performed well in the clutch too.

Dirk is 5-0 in series-deciding games, 9-6 when his team is facing elimination. He deserves plenty of criticism for his last two series, but this knee-jerking crap is getting out of hand and is pretty ridiculous.

to21
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Your shtick is getting old dude. :rolleyes

cornbread
05-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Congrats to Dirk. People forget that the guy is a class act. He'll be back next year.

Findog
05-11-2007, 02:01 PM
But winning a title is a different story, if he does do that he would be consider superstar like Timmeth!

True, three titles separate Dirk from TD. The only question right now is will Dirk breakthrough like Elway, Peyton Manning or Shaq, or will he end up being another Dan Marino, Karl Malone or Patrick Ewing?

I don't want to see the Mavericks kneejerk and trade him away. Take him off this team and replace him with, I don't know, a thoroughly average player at his position and this team wins 45 games. We don't have the cap flexibility to bring in a Jermaine O'Neal without giving up too much in return. Our best bet for solving the weaknesses the Warriors exposed is to change the backcourt. Harris can drive to the basket but he can't distribute and neither one of them seem able to handle the big, athletic guards like B-Diddy and J-Rich.

Findog
05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Congrats to Dirk. People forget that the guy is a class act. He'll be back next year.

Yeah, the piling on is getting out of hand. He's a gym rat, he's a good teammate, so on, so forth. I DO think that there is something to the idea that you have to be a cold-blooded alpha dog and have a temperament on the court that would get you labeled a curmudgeonly asshole off the court. Jordan was not so nice a guy away from the gym, same goes for Kobe, Shaq. Duncan breaks this mold but the dude is an absolute assassin on the court, he is merciless, ruthless and he possesses a lethal intellligence. He knows what he has to do, what his teammates have to do and where on the court they're supposed to be and what their assignments are, and he's got three titles from his ability to enforce his will. We saw a tiny smidgen of that last spring from Dirk but he has yet to prove he can do that for four straight rounds. We're certainly talented enough to win a title with the group we have but there are questions about what is between the ears of these guys.

He deserves plenty of criticism for Miami and Golden State, but let's save the mocking and trashtalk for Zach Randolph and Stephon Marbury.

florige
05-11-2007, 02:10 PM
This is knee-jerking at its worst and ignores his entire body of work. He was crap against Miami and Golden State, but he was pure gold against Phoenix last year after we had eliminated the Spurs. Dude only hung 50 on the Suns in the pivotal Game Five. Dirk's won 8 playoff series. And here's another stat for you: The Dirk-era Mavericks are 5-0 in Game Seven/best of five Game 5's.

Criticize him all you want for his last two playoff series, and it's well deserved, but do you even watch any games your team isn't involved in?

Game Five of the 2001 Quarterfinals, Dallas beats Utah to clinch the series 3-2.

Dirk: 18 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 10-10 from the FT line. Dallas was a young team making its first playoff appearance in 11 years, and they were on the road against Stockton and Malone.

Game Seven of the 2003 Quarterfinals, Dallas beats Portland to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 31 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 12-21 from the floor, 6-6 from the line

Game Seven of the 2003 Semifinals, Dallas beats Sacramento to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 30 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 12-20 from the the floor

Game Seven of the 2005 Quarterfinals, Dallas beats Houston to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 14 points, 14 rebounds, 5-14 from the floor. A bad game for sure, but a little misleading in that Dallas won 116-76 in a game that was over halfway through the 1st quarter.

Game Seven of the 2006 Semifinals, Dallas beats San Antonio to clinch 4-3

Dirk: 37 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 11-20 from the floor.

Here is his line from the series-clinching loss to Miami in Game 6, where he played well despite his team losing:

29 points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 10-22 from the floor.

You're going to have to do better and take Dirk's entire body of work into account before spouting off in an ill-informed manner. He's come up woefully short in clutch situations and he's also performed well in the clutch too.

Dirk is 5-0 in series-deciding games, 9-6 when his team is facing elimination. He deserves plenty of criticism for his last two series, but this knee-jerking crap is getting out of hand and is pretty ridiculous.

Okay let me re-phrase it some... When the expectations have been set at a high bar primaraliy these last two playoffs he has played like crap. And it's not even the fact that he tried and just happened to run into some bad shooting nights, I mean what happened to all the tongue wagging and stuff he was seen doing against the Spurs? It seems like he gets all fired up calling for the ball and everything when he plays us, but where is that same fire when there is just the slightest bit of question involved? Sure he had good games against Phx, Portland, And a injury depleted Suns team last year. It's like soon as he starts to panic just a little bit he chokes, Except last year against us in that game 7. Why couldn't he play with that same determination against GS or Miami? But since you went through all the trouble and found his stats I'll man up and say that I was wrong to say that he played like crap his entire playoff career. Happy??

Findog
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
When the expectations have been set at a high bar primaraliy these last two playoffs he has played like crap.

Go back and watch the 2006 Finals. Notice the way Haslem and Posey were allowed to aggressively body up Dirk? Were the Maverick perimeter defenders given the same leeway against Wade? Aside from questionable officiating in the Miami series, you're letting Avery off too easy. He was thoroughly outcoached by both Don Nelson and Pat Riley. I guarantee you if Riley and Nelson had their choice of which roster to have, they would've both chosen Dallas. And if you switch coaches in those two series, the result also changes. You don't change a lineup that won you 67 games. Instead of Dampier out on the floor and Dirk playing his natural 4 spot, he was plugged in at center where he was an absolute defensive liability. You change up your rotation, guys aren't playing their normal minutes, they're out on the floor with teammates in combinations they're not used to, and they're playing at different spots on the floor that they're not used to. Go back and look at Dirk's splits from after the All-Star break: He was tired. He plays for the German national team every summer, his previous NBA season didn't end until late June, he'd been playing nonstop for about a year. His numbers were all down in the second half and while the team kept chugging along and racking up wins, they weren't playing nearly as well towards the end. These aren't excuses, just explanations.

Why couldn't Avery have Dirk go down to the lowblocks instead of positioning him up at the arc the entire series against Golden State? Why couldn't Jason Terry hit water from a boat against the Warriors? The entire team stunk against Golden State, not just Dirk...the whole team was out of sync.

And it's not even the fact that he tried and just happened to run into some bad shooting nights, I mean what happened to all the tongue wagging and stuff he was seen doing against the Spurs?

I didn't see a lot of tongue-wagging and "theater" in Games 1, 5 and 6.

It seems like he gets all fired up calling for the ball and everything when he plays us, but where is that same fire when there is just the slightest bit of question involved?

Yeah, he didn't want to beat Golden State or Miami. He lost the "fire."

Sure he had good games against Phx, Portland, And a injury depleted Suns team last year. It's like soon as he starts to panic just a little bit he chokes, Except last year against us in that game 7.

Or against Utah in 2001, Minnesota in 2002, Portland and Sacramento in 2003, Houston in 2005, Memphis, San Antonio and Phoenix in 2006.

Michael Jordan was atrocious against Orlando in 1994, Magic wasn't so hot against Boston in 1984, etc, etc. I'm not putting Dirk in their league, but nobody is going to come through every single time, and a lot of times it's a case of matchups and personnel. Golden State went something like 16-5 after that trade when everybody was healthy. They were a 55 win wolf in a 42 win sheep's clothing. And Dallas racked up 67 wins against a league where half the teams were tanking for Oden/Durant. It's not nearly as big an upset as people think. The Maverick's weaknesses were something that the Warriors were perfectly suited to exploit: they had a bevy of long, athletic wing players that can hit perimeter shots and stretch the floor, negating any inherent rebounding advantage of ours and allowing them to play small, they had big, athletic guards that can drive to the hoop against Terry and Harris because they were both bigger and quicker. Diop and Dampier are absolutely essential to beating San Antonio because they defend Duncan about as well as anybody, but they were useless against that small, quick lineup of Golden State's because they don't have the offensive games to punish the Warriors for playing smallball.

The playoffs are quickly becoming an exercise in rock, paper, scissors. They Warriors would've won 55 games if that team had been healthy and together all year long and they were constructed to beat a team like Dallas, just as the Mavericks were constructed to beat San Antonio. When we play you guys, Bowen has to go against either Howard or Dirk, whichever one he plays off of eats you guys alive. Against the Warriors, they played a zone keeping us away from the hoop, and there are about 3 or 4 guys on Golden State that have similar size and quickness as Howard and can cancel him out.

Dallas would've handled Utah easily in 6, with Diop and Dampier to keep Boozer from completely going off, along with Howard to sic on Deron Williams late in games. But the Jazz will beat the Warriors because they have something smallball can't deal with, which is a low-post scorer (Boozer) and a distributing point guard with size to match up with Baron Davis (Williams.) Rock, paper, scissors.

spursreport
05-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Our team of pussys last didnt get physical with that son of a bitch last year. We gave him too much fucking respect and we NEVER gave him or any mav hard fouls. Even if fouls were going to get called, none of our guys harassed the living shit out of dirk and they gave him cheap pussy fouls rather then putting him hard on his ass anytime he tried to drive.

cornbread
05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, the piling on is getting out of hand. He's a gym rat, he's a good teammate, so on, so forth. I DO think that there is something to the idea that you have to be a cold-blooded alpha dog and have a temperament on the court that would get you labeled a curmudgeonly asshole off the court. Jordan was not so nice a guy away from the gym, same goes for Kobe, Shaq. Duncan breaks this mold but the dude is an absolute assassin on the court, he is merciless, ruthless and he possesses a lethal intellligence. He knows what he has to do, what his teammates have to do and where on the court they're supposed to be and what their assignments are, and he's got three titles from his ability to enforce his will. We saw a tiny smidgen of that last spring from Dirk but he has yet to prove he can do that for four straight rounds. We're certainly talented enough to win a title with the group we have but there are questions about what is between the ears of these guys.

I think a lot of people can't seperate Dirk from Cuban and some of the more arrogant fans so the backlash from the GSW series has been absolutely ruthless. He deserves critism but some folks have been completely writting him off. Anybody who's followed Dirk's career knows that he's capable of great things. Just look at last the 2006 Spurs series. He could not be stopped. He had a shitty series against GSW but the last thing you want to do is start underestimating this guy because of it.

Dirk needs to get that mean-streak back. You know what I mean? He plays his best when there's a little bit of malice in his eyes.

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Our team of pussys last didnt get physical with that son of a bitch last year. We gave him too much fucking respect and we NEVER gave him or any mav hard fouls. Even if fouls were going to get called, none of our guys harassed the living shit out of dirk and they gave him cheap pussy fouls rather then putting him hard on his ass anytime he tried to drive.

Man, you got it all wrong.... Spurs are THUGS, remember?

We don't practice defense, we just try to hurt people. Dirk just got lucky Bowen never bit his ear off...

spursreport
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I think a lot of people can't seperate Dirk from Cuban and some of the more arrogant fans so the backlash from the GSW series has been absolutely ruthless. He deserves critism but some folks have been completely writting him off. Anybody who's followed Dirk's career knows that he's capable of great things. Just look at last the 2006 Spurs series. He could not be stopped. He had a shitty series against GSW but the last thing you want to do is start underestimating this guy because of it.

Dirk needs to get that mean-streak back. You know what I mean? He plays his best when there's a little bit of malice in his eyes.

:rolleyes He imploded on the biggest stage of them all last year. Dirk did even worse in the first round this year. That isnt underestimating him, it is being realistic. Dirk cant handle teams who constantly harass and get physical with him. It gets to his head and totally hurts his game. The guy had his chances to prove himself and he couldnt do it. You have to give alot of the blame to Dirk.

CharlieMac
05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm way too excited about this presentation.

spursreport
05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Man, you got it all wrong.... Spurs are THUGS, remember?

We don't practice defense, we just try to hurt people. Dirk just got lucky Bowen never bit his ear off...

Giving a team an easy trip to the line or an easy basket is giving them too much respect. Put them on their ass for driving to the hoops. That isnt dirty ball that is good hard physical ball making the other team earn their 2 points.

cornbread
05-11-2007, 03:48 PM
:rolleyes He imploded on the biggest stage of them all last year. Dirk did even worse in the first round this year. That isnt underestimating him, it is being realistic. Dirk cant handle teams who constantly harass and get physical with him. It gets to his head and totally hurts his game. The guy had his chances to prove himself and he couldnt do it. You have to give alot of the blame to Dirk.
Uh, I did say he deserves the blame. But go ahead be realistic and write him off. Hopefully he'll implode the next time the Spurs match up with him so he doesn't send us fishing like he did in 2006.

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Giving a team an easy trip to the line or an easy basket is giving them too much respect. Put them on their ass for driving to the hoops. That isnt dirty ball that is good hard physical ball making the other team earn their 2 points.

Did you think I was serious? I thought the Mike Tyson reference eliminated the need of a :rolleyes

I was pointing out the irony that the Spurs don't play "hard ball" like they could, when Suns fans feel they are the dirtiest team in the NBA. (World?)

That's not to say they don't play defense, but they don't throw Nash to the ground everytime he goes to the basket!

LEONARD
05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Uh, I did say he deserves the blame. But go ahead be realistic and write him off. Hopefully he'll implode the next time the Spurs match up with him so he doesn't send us fishing like he did in 2006.

:fro

Smart man...

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Beno and Barry for Dirk. I'll take him on my team any day of the week.

ATXSPUR
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Real deal? In the regular season Iirk may be a badass but the son of a bitch cant handle physical play from other teams. Real deals arent scared to take big shots and arent scared of contact. They dont get humilated in the first round either. Nash is the real deal a hell of alot more than Irk is.

Personally I saw screw dirk and nash :fro

SRJ
05-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Twenty retired players have won the NBA MVP award. Of those twenty, only Charles Barkley and Karl Malone failed to win NBA championships.

Of the six active players to win the award, only Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal have won NBA titles. Here are the rest:

Allen Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki

Food for thought.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
It's the era of statpadders. Gaudy numbers get you awards.

spursreport
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM

If the spurs get physical with him, I highly doubt he will be great against us then. Fact is the spurs respected Dirk way to fucking much which is why he played out of his mind. Show no respect, put him on his ass hard anytime he drives to the hoop, and give him no breathing room once he gets the ball. If they are gonna call fouls you might as well make them worth something rather then giving him an easy trip to the line with a little pussy slap foul. Dirk is fucking soft and I dont see how that is writing him off. It has literally shown how he is when I know you like taking it up the ass when it comes to respecting Dirk. He is a good player, but I am not going to give mad props to a player who really hasnt improved his mental toughness.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
It's amazing how Spurs smallball makes Dirk look so dominant.

DubMcDub
05-11-2007, 07:40 PM
It's always so funny when Spurs fans hate on Dirk. He has essentially owned your team, oh, I don't know....6 or 7 of the last 9 or 10 times they've played (and the remaining games he played well, just not fantastic). The game in SA in January he put 37 up on you guys.

And here's everyone calling him out for sucking or being a choker. If Dirk is really so bad, that certainly doesn't speak well of the Spurs who are consistently abused up and down the floor by him...

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 07:59 PM
It's always so funny when Spurs fans hate on Dirk. He has essentially owned your team, oh, I don't know....6 or 7 of the last 9 or 10 times they've played (and the remaining games he played well, just not fantastic). The game in SA in January he put 37 up on you guys.

And here's everyone calling him out for sucking or being a choker. If Dirk is really so bad, that certainly doesn't speak well of the Spurs who are consistently abused up and down the floor by him...
Spurs Smallball© is responsible for his ONE playoff win against them, and it took overtime of game 7 to do it. Funny how some folks seem to need an education on the word "owned".

ChumpDumper
05-11-2007, 08:00 PM
It's always so funny when Spurs fans hate on Dirk.It's always so funny when Dirk chokes in the playoffs.

raeddy
05-11-2007, 08:03 PM
I love the Spurs!

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
It's always so funny when Dirk proves he's made for the regular season.
FIFY