PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are interested in Sam Mackinnon

Bruno
05-11-2007, 04:51 AM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21659876-5006371,00.html

AUSTRALIAN NBL star, Sam Mackinnon, will roll the NBA dice later this year with three clubs already interested in seeing what the athletic forward has to offer.

Apart from the Cavaliers, Mackinnon has also attracted camp invites from the Toronto Raptors and San Antonio Spurs.

His profile + stats in NBL are :
http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=bullets_playerprofile&profile=101

Does someone know it ?

timvp
05-11-2007, 04:58 AM
32 and playing in one of the worst basketball leagues in the world?

I think I'd pass.

johngateswhiteley
05-11-2007, 05:55 AM
32 and playing in one of the worst basketball leagues in the world?

I think I'd pass.

some of you are so funny. 32 is not old, its not near too old to play in the NBA or even start out.

...if he can play, he can play.

exstatic
05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
32 is not old, its not near too old to play in the NBA or even start out.

Yes it is. It's looking like we'll have two roster spots out of 15 open next year. No more senior citizens.

Bruno
05-11-2007, 07:15 AM
He isn't 32 years old.
He is 30 years old and will be 31 years old for the 07-08 season.

I wonder if some australian posters can give us some insight on him. A 30 years old guy who has only played in Australia doesn't look appealing but he seems to be a good defender and rebounder.

Duncan21
05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
no thanks.

xcoriate
05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Sam is probably the best player in the NBL and I would guess of the "vets" in the league he probably has the most game to translate to the NBA. I'll try and give a bit of an analysis and remain unbiased, but honestly even I don't really follow the NBL I mean hell I have the Spurs :lol

He was very athletic in his younger years but now is much heavier/musclier to the point where he played the 4 in the latest olympic squad. I imagine the spurs believe he can be the small 4 in a small ball lineup and i would imagine he fills the role better than anyone else on the Spurs roster.

With Sam (in the NBL at least) you get a guy with range to the 3, who shot over 50%, and prime grant hill/lebron numbers. In the NBA the best case scenario would be a "glue guy" style player.

Mackinnon is also probably the best defensive wing in Australia for the last couple of years capturing the DPOY multiple times, averaging about 1.5 block and 2 steals a game.

I dunno to summarise I thought his time was past but he put up easily his most impressive season last carrying his team to a championship.

Strengths
Solid Defender
Good post skills (as a result of playing a lot of 4)
A legitimate forward
Good transition player
Ball of muscle/bulk could get position on the block against many 3/2s
10rips per game (lead league), very solid rebounder at any level
Good Passer
Good basketball IQ

Weaknesses
Probably cant create his own shot in the NBA
Quickness might be an issue
Only a passable jumpshooter
Ballhandling is only passable (probably better than Fin though)
Only 6'6.. pretty small these days for a 3... especially one who would play small ball 4

T Park
05-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Theres a reason hes 30 and playing in the worst league in the world.

No thanks.

Use the roster spots on James White and Butler, and theres other young players that will be drafted, that the spots would be better wasted on, HONESTLY.

johngateswhiteley
05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Yes it is.

incorrect.

xcoriate
05-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Just FYI as bad as the NBL is, there are worse the Asian leagues are shocking and have still managed to produce Yao and a couple of new kids that will be joining up in the next couple of years. The NBL house Stephen Jackson, Brett Brown (see Spurs coaching staff) and the great Shane Heal... ughh yeah... screw that it was sweet as when he dropped like 30 on the US back in the day :lol

Never the less some of em do occasionally pan out.

P.S. Shane Heals line for the season just completed.... 20/3/5

xcoriate
05-11-2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/22/sam_dunk_narrowweb__300x464,0.jpg

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2006-08/19/xin_220803191553901215123.jpg

http://www.bullets.com.au/images/players/sam_mackinnon_200x400.jpg

KEDA
05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
see Andrew Gaze

Mr. Body
05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
In years we need to fill roster slots... maybe.

This year: why? Will he take Derrick Byars' slot?

Slippy
05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Mackinnon is not NBA worthy. As much as i hate to admit it , winning our MVP award just goes to show how the standard of our league has dropped. I wouldn't go as far to say we are the worst league in the world but when it comes to money we just can't compete with the rest. Bball is probably now the 4th or 5th biggest sport in OZ. As a result the standard of the imports has taken a big hit.

He stil got some of his leap but his athleticism is not the same as it used to be because of injuries. For the position he plays and his height he wouln't be quick enough and his shot would struggle with an NBA 3-point line. Like all ballers, he just gotten smarter with age but for Nba standards he just doesn't cut it.

Bruno
05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks xcoriate and Slippy for the infos.

I see nothing wrong with Spurs trying to get him for their summer league or the training camp.
It looks like that Spurs won't have a lot of available roster spots this year but you never know. After some trades and retirements, Spurs can have some roster spots open.

Mr. Body
05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
The Spurs aren't in the position to have a Sean Marks mascot or Andrew Gaze on the team. We have no room in the house for a Down Under exchange student and suggest he applies in a few years.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2007, 09:44 AM
hahhahaaahahaha no

earnin nba minimum for one season is better than earnin AUS$250-350k a year, even if you are the best player in the nbl.

and dude is fuckn shit

one time in highschool he came for some BS bball drill, dude wore trackies and you can clearly see he had a stiff which was quite funny, the ballers that came was all staring at the italian teacher....and all the students can see it hahahahhahaa

funniest shit was playing that ft game, and some transfer student wtf doesnt play sport ends up winnin the game and a sign bball. fuck this.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Mackinnon is not NBA worthy. As much as i hate to admit it , winning our MVP award just goes to show how the standard of our league has dropped. I wouldn't go as far to say we are the worst league in the world but when it comes to money we just can't compete with the rest. Bball is probably now the 4th or 5th biggest sport in OZ. As a result the standard of the imports has taken a big hit.

He stil got some of his leap but his athleticism is not the same as it used to be because of injuries. For the position he plays and his height he wouln't be quick enough and his shot would struggle with an NBA 3-point line. Like all ballers, he just gotten smarter with age but for Nba standards he just doesn't cut it.

todays game is fuckn shit, as compared in the 90s, with the melbourne teams rivalry

todays league is all about, sign all the imports who cant even crack the nba and win NBL championships, look at the sydney kings 4peat team = a bunch of imports and shane heal.

look at aussie rules football, its starting to become like the NBA with the zero tolerence BS:
criticism of refs = fine
no push in the back = no handcheck allowed
wats next? smile/clapping ur hands/wtf look at calls = NBA new rules this season

it has become a pussy sport atm, you got all these buff players with tic tac calls, which takes away the physical game in the 80s-90s.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2007, 09:52 AM
The Spurs aren't in the position to have a Sean Marks mascot or Andrew Gaze on the team. We have no room in the house for a Down Under exchange student and suggest he applies in a few years.

one of the assistant coaches brett brown, the white dude/brunette curly hair you see sitting behind pop most of the time, had a stint at coaching in the aussie league, and he was quite successful in the 90s winnin 1-2 championships i think. His the connection for the aussie players to get a callup in the nba.

chris anstey>sean marks

Snake
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I'd love the Nuggets to add that kinda player.

I've seen him play in the NBL tournament... he's a smart, tough-nose player. His lack of athleticism due his old age may be a problem but given a clear role within the team, he could be a valuable asset.

I just don't want a contract of 4 yrs/ longer. Maybe 2-3 years.

whottt
05-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Worst Basketball League in the World

Sin,

http://img.sports.tom.com/img/assets/200412/041210073826Stephen%20Jackson.jpg