PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons' brief thoughts on game 3

Amuseddaysleeper
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
• Here's why Gregg Popovich is the best coach in the league: Phoenix makes its big adjustment in Game 2 (playing Kurt Thomas to cover Duncan one-on-one), and it's clear from the beginning that it's just not San Antonio's night -- they're not getting any calls, they're missing free throws and 3s, it's just not happening. So he lets the game unfold without a big counter move and Phoenix pulls away in the fourth quarter, which probably would have happened regardless of whatever Pop did. Now we're headed to Game 3 and Phoenix still has no idea how Pop will counter the Duncan/Thomas thing. Watch what happens in Game 3: the Spurs will counter (I predict they go small with Duncan and four perimeter guys, force Amare to guard Finley, Ginobili or Barry 20 feet from the basket, then pound the ball inside to Duncan) and Phoenix will take an entire game to adjust. If they had done this in Game 2, it wouldn't have mattered because Phoenix was winning the game, anyway. I swear, this will all make sense when you're watching Game 3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

101A
05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
That's ridiculous.

Everybody knows it's how much you lose by that's important. Pop should have done ANYTHING he could to keep that game close - even if it meant spilling all the beans; so that Phoenix wouldn't look so dominant. Now, a lot of people think they are unbeatable, which means they are.

MannyIsGod
05-11-2007, 01:09 PM
That's ridiculous.

Everybody knows it's how much you lose by that's important. Pop should have done ANYTHING he could to keep that game close - even if it meant spilling all the beans; so that Phoenix wouldn't look so dominant. Now, a lot of people think they are unbeatable, which means they are.:lol

Nice.

sunsbum
05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
yea phoenix would never figure out how to counter small ball :rolleyes

mabber
05-11-2007, 01:15 PM
• Here's why Gregg Popovich is the best coach in the league: Phoenix makes its big adjustment in Game 2 (playing Kurt Thomas to cover Duncan one-on-one), and it's clear from the beginning that it's just not San Antonio's night -- they're not getting any calls, they're missing free throws and 3s, it's just not happening. So he lets the game unfold without a big counter move and Phoenix pulls away in the fourth quarter, which probably would have happened regardless of whatever Pop did. Now we're headed to Game 3 and Phoenix still has no idea how Pop will counter the Duncan/Thomas thing. Watch what happens in Game 3: the Spurs will counter (I predict they go small with Duncan and four perimeter guys, force Amare to guard Finley, Ginobili or Barry 20 feet from the basket, then pound the ball inside to Duncan) and Phoenix will take an entire game to adjust. If they had done this in Game 2, it wouldn't have mattered because Phoenix was winning the game, anyway. I swear, this will all make sense when you're watching Game 3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

I really struggle with believing that Pop wouldn't try everything to try to win the current game. I think Simmons is reaching.

SAGambler
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
That's ridiculous.

Everybody knows it's how much you lose by that's important. Pop should have done ANYTHING he could to keep that game close - even if it meant spilling all the beans; so that Phoenix wouldn't look so dominant. Now, a lot of people think they are unbeatable, which means they are.

That could be the dumbest statement I have ever seen.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I did get the feeling that the Spurs were willing to give up game 2. Nash called out his 'mates for a must-win game for Phoenix. D'Antoni shuffled his lineup. The Suns played all out and successfully split at home.

In my mind they've already played their series cards; (1) Team leader calling out teammates for the motivational win; (2) Head coach switching lineups. The Spurs go home with homecourt advantage and a chance to adjust to the Suns changes with the advantage in the series and potentially 5 games left to play.

My money is on the Spurs being able to successfully respond to the both the lineup changes and the increased energy from the Suns team. Spurs in 6.

samikeyp
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I really struggle with believing that Pop wouldn't try everything to try to win the current game. I think Simmons is reaching.

I think so too....The Spurs were playing so crappy that even if Phoenix had not changed a thing, I am not sure the Spurs would have won.

Mr. Body
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Yep. It was a judo move. Full-charging Suns team sacking up -- they absolutely had to, or else give up to San Antonio for a long time -- and the Spurs started to fall beneath it. There's a good case to say they're taking that momentum to throw another win or two.

Good call, Simms.

cornbread
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
That could be the dumbest statement I have ever seen.
This site really needs to have a sarcasm meter installed.

itzsoweezee
05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
yea phoenix would never figure out how to counter small ball :rolleyes

it's not just small ball, it's small ball with the most dominant post player in the game. it would be a matchup nightmare for the suns. the spurs should try it at least in doses.

hater
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
simmons forgets Spurs suck at small ball.

NoMoneyDown
05-11-2007, 01:46 PM
If they had done this in Game 2, it wouldn't have mattered because Phoenix was winning the game, anyway. I swear, this will all make sense when you're watching Game 3.

Weren't the Spurs still in the game in the late 3Q/early 4Q?

Durruti
05-11-2007, 01:47 PM
they're not getting any calls

:lol

Simmons is a complete tool. Were we watching the same game? I'd expect this from some teenager on ESPN but really.

BacktoBasics
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
This thread has me laughing pretty hard.

degenerate_gambler
05-11-2007, 01:57 PM
If they had done this in Game 2, it wouldn't have mattered because Phoenix was winning the game, anyway. I swear, this will all make sense when you're watching Game 3.

Weren't the Spurs still in the game in the late 3Q/early 4Q?

look at the youtube video of bowen trying to destroy stoudamire's career....spurs down 6-7 w/10 minutes left to play.

wildbill2u
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
look at how GS won with small ball easlily against the team with the best record. It can work if the smaller guys are hitting the jumpers. If not, then having Elson in the post won't make any difference anyway.

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Pop is the best coach for not making adjustments?

Damn, he's even more CIA than I thought!

da_suns_fan__
05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I think Pop is going to attempt to generate more of the offense through Tony Parker and less through Tim Duncan. Too much standing around for the Spurs.

I expect Parker to put up 20+ shots the next game.

DarrinS
05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
But don't misunderestimate the mastermind, Mike D'Antoni. His basketball IQ is through the roof and he's a master motivator.

"Energy guys. Energy energy. Let's go. Hustle out there."
http://static.flickr.com/139/324414035_7a8f3f004e.jpg

PhxDog
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
If you think that was great coaching, wait until Pop doesn't make any moves in game 3, either...

Amuseddaysleeper
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
:lmao darrinS

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
If you think that was great coaching, wait until Pop doesn't make any moves in game 3, either...

I was going to laugh at this, but then I realized you're probably right...

This is all part of a larger Plan to send the Suns to the Finals, where they will win the first 2, then lose 4 straight to Detroit.

Next year, the Suns will lose to the Number 8 seed, and it will all be Pop's fault. The guy is that good.

Testing
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Elson is the biggest waste of space of a center I've seen in a while. I find it hard to believe that a team with 3 championships and a history of recruiting the best players in the league have resorted to playing him at Center. I honestly cannot think of a worst center in the league right now. At best, Elson is a 3rd string center in the league for any team (ask the nuggets). If the Spurs had someone even halfway decent...Rasho/Nazr are better than him! they'd be a lot better team.

DarrinS
05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Elson is the biggest waste of space of a center I've seen in a while. I find it hard to believe that a team with 3 championships and a history of recruiting the best players in the league have resorted to playing him at Center. I honestly cannot think of a worst center in the league right now. At best, Elson is a 3rd string center in the league for any team (ask the nuggets). If the Spurs had someone even halfway decent...Rasho/Nazr are better than him! they'd be a lot better team.

There aren't a lot of great centers anymore. Think about it.

Testing
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Im thinking about it...and there's about oh 15 better than Elson at least. Heck, 3 of them are possible on your bench: Oberto, Butler, and Ely. :rolleyes

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM

:depressed

I like Elson...

Truth is, Spurs haven't had a decent center since Robinson.

mardigan
05-11-2007, 03:43 PM
:depressed

I like Elson...

Truth is, Spurs haven't had a decent center since Robinson.
Its sad that Rasho was the closest thing we've had since D-Rob

JamStone
05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Jason Collins, but yeah Elson is pretty bad.

DarrinS
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Im thinking about it...and there's about oh 15 better than Elson at least. Heck, 3 of them are possible on your bench: Oberto, Butler, and Ely. :rolleyes

I'm not disagreeing with you. Elson does suck.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 03:55 PM
At this point, all Elson and Oberto need to do to improve on last year's center rotation is to rack up more than one minute and 12 seconds of PT.

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
At this point, all Elson and Oberto need to do to improve on last year's center rotation is to rack up more than one minute and 12 seconds of PT.

True, is it better or worse that Pop is playing them?

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM

I have to admit, that was funny.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
True, is it better or worse that Pop is playing them?
Well, the Spurs lost last year in seven games after the Mavs killed them in the paint. Having tall guys in there seems like it might help.

Mark in Austin
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow. Simmons must read the Forum. He should give timvp credit on this one though.

GrandeDavid
05-11-2007, 04:39 PM
That's ridiculous.

:shootme

LaMarcus Bryant
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like a homer to me, spurs are fucked if the article writing has stooped down to this already.

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes, because the Spurs always follow the same fate as idiot writers...

pad300
05-11-2007, 04:51 PM

True, if the Spurs win, it will be called great coaching. "The most important thing is never to let them see you sweat" and "You got to know when to hold'em..."

exstatic
05-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Where on earth did you get the idea that we have a history of recruiting "the best players in the league"? We whiffed on CWebb AND an in his prime Mike Finley in 2001 and Jkidd AND J O'Neal in 2003. The only players we usually sign are castoffs/projects or players on the back side of their careers. Elson fits both of those criteria.

blaze89
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
But don't misunderestimate the mastermind, Mike D'Antoni. His basketball IQ is through the roof and he's a master motivator.

That's hilarious!

Durruti
05-11-2007, 07:45 PM

:lol :lol :lol