PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Suns notebook: Butler won't be starting, but will Ginobili?

ducks
05-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Spurs-Suns notebook: Butler won't be starting, but will Ginobili?
Web Posted: 05/11/2007 01:25 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

After Phoenix center Amare Stoudemire tipped off the media about the Suns' decision to start Kurt Thomas, Robert Horry decided to return the favor Thursday.

"We're going to make a lineup change," Horry deadpanned after practice. "We're going to start Jackie Butler, put some beef in there."

Suffice it to say, Butler is not expected to be in the starting lineup Saturday. As for Manu Ginobili?

When asked whether he was considering starting Ginobili in Game 3, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave his usual everything-is-considered answer.

"I've thought about lots of things, but most of them are probably silly," Popovich said. "That's what coaches do. They think of lots of things and then come to their senses and realize what they were thinking probably didn't make any sense.

"So that is something we talk about."

Ginobili has totaled 18 points in the previous three games, scoring eight and six in the two games against Phoenix.

Duncan honored: Tim Duncan was named to the All-NBA first team Thursday for the ninth time in his 10-year career.

Phoenix's Stoudemire and Steve Nash, Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant joined Duncan on the first team.

"It just shows the consistency he's had over the years," Popovich said. "He's able to focus year in and year out. He loves the game, he plays it well and it's a real tribute to him to be on that first team."

After failing to make the first team last season for the first time in his career — he was named to the second team — Duncan was selected ahead of Cleveland's LeBron James for the second forward position next to Nowitzki.

Duncan received 573 total points, including 94 first-team votes, in balloting by a 129-member panel of writers and broadcasters. James had 494 points and 64 first-team votes.

Houston's Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, Washington's Gilbert Arenas and Toronto's Chris Bosh joined James on the second team. The third team was made up of Miami's Dwyane Wade, Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Orlando's Dwight Howard.

Be aggressive: Popovich thought Shawn Marion did a good job on Tony Parker in Game 2 when he limited him to 13 points. But he also thought Parker wasn't as aggressive as he was in Game 1.

"When you come off a big game, you don't want to try to rush it," said Parker, who scored 32 points in the series opener. "You want to try to get everybody involved and try to get everybody in the game.

"Maybe I should be more aggressive. I'll talk to Pop and watch film and see what I can do better and try to find that balance."
Bulldog: Horry wasn't surprised when he saw Utah guard Derek Fisher's heroic performance Wednesday against Golden State.

After watching his 10-month-old daughter undergo surgery for a form of eye cancer earlier in the day, Fisher flew from New York to Salt Lake City, arriving midway through the game. He hit a clutch 3-pointer in overtime.

Horry was a teammate of Fisher's during his stay with the Los Angeles Lakers and the two are still friends.

"He's a tough-minded individual," Horry said. "I used to call him 'The Bulldog' because he doesn't let anything stop him. He just goes out and plays hard."

Horry's own daughter, Ashlyn, has been in and out of hospitals after she was born without part of her first chromosome.

"I've been battling it for 13 years with my daughter, so I can understand," Horry said. "Sometimes you need that to focus you even more.

"Sometimes you need that outlet (basketball gives you) to get away from it because if you don't, it will drive you crazy."