PDA

View Full Version : Duncan:We're Not Going to Let People Walk Through Us...

milkyway21
05-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Duncan & the Spurs respond to Amare's accusations on Bowen And Manu playing dirty

Suns, Spurs Prep for Game 3 After Stoudemire Slam
By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
Posted May 11 2007 8:27PM

http://www.nba.com/games/20070512/PHXSAS/preview.html

SAN ANTONIO (AP) Amare Stoudemire's accusation that the Spurs are a "dirty team'' should really fire up the already rugged playoff series between Phoenix and San Antonio.

Shouldn't it?

Well, it didn't appear to do much for the Spurs, who had their first chance Friday to respond to Stoudemire's comments and mostly said they weren't all that bothered. :p:

"He can continue to give us fuel if he wants to, but honestly we're not going to play any harder or any less because of what anybody says,'' Tim Duncan said. "For whatever reason, I guess people don't expect people to play hard. It's not the regular season. We're not going to let people walk through us.''

On Thursday, Stoudemire said Bruce Bowen tried to hurt him during the Suns' 101-81 series-evening victory in Game 2 on Tuesday. He also called out Manu Ginobili and blasted the entire team as "dirty.''

"It was a purpose kick to the Achilles' and he definitely tried to injure me,'' Stoudemire said of Bowen.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called the whole situation "irrelevant.''

"I saw the replay and it's obvious I did clip him, but to kick him, that wasn't the intention at all,'' Bowen said. "It was an unfortunate situation and I'm sorry that he feels that way. ... I have a lot of respect for him, so I wouldn't do that.''

Stoudemire stood by his remarks Friday.

"My comments were made and they were positive comments,'' he said. "There was no negativity and no bad gestures toward players. Just being honest, and I'm done with it.''

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said Stoudemire was just saying what he felt. Stoudemire said he did not talk to the league and Bowen said he hadn't, either.

"Whether it's right or wrong, that's for you guys to discuss,'' D'Antoni said. "But I listened to the comment. I don't think it was bad.''

Ginobili said he was surprised to be singled out by the Suns' center, who along with Phoenix's Steve Nash and Duncan were selected to the all-NBA first team Thursday. Stoudemire said Ginobili kneed him on purpose during the regular season.

"It's a team thing, you don't want to leave Bruce alone all the time,'' Ginobili joked, referring to past accusations against Bowen. "We try to play hard; I don't think anybody's dirty. I don't know why he said it but I really don't have anything to say about it.''

Saturday's Game 3 is sure to be rife with tension, at least for San Antonio fans, who will surely be riled up. But the Spurs said they're more concerned about making a few adjustments and getting Ginobili, who has had a subpar series thus far, involved.

Ginobili has averaged 11.6 points during the playoffs, down from 16.5 during the regular season. He scored just six points in Tuesday's loss and eight in the Spurs' Game 1 victory in Phoenix. Ginobili torched Phoenix for career highs of 48 points and 16 made field goals in a game in January 2005.

"I'm not making the shots, first, and then of course they're playing good 'D,''' Ginobili said. "I didn't play good the first two games, my shots were not looking good, so of course the confidence was not there. But as I said before, I just try to forget about it and play a more relaxed game.''

And Ginobili's teammates are confident they'll get what they need from him.

"We're not worried about Manu. It's not a ceremony to revive him, so to speak,'' Bowen said Thursday. "We understand he's going to play well, he's going to do all right.''

The teams have had three days off, and neither practiced on Wednesday. The Suns said they know what to expect coming to San Antonio, and even if they don't return home up 3-1, they don't want to head back to Arizona on the brink of elimination.

"They're going to pull out all the stops to win these two,'' D'Antoni said. "We need to get at least one. Should be a great battle.''

----------

that's it Timmy :ihit

LaMarcus Bryant
05-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Thou hast angered thine Duncan. Thou shall repeath the lack of Ruth.

LavaLamp
05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
LOL. We certainly are eating all the hype that the NBA wants to generate over these games. One would think the games themselves are meat enough. Game 3 will certainly be interesting.

Axl Van Dam
05-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Oh boy now Timmy is pissed..........

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I hope the Spurs deliver tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure Amare's words don't carry much weight in the Spurs' minds,

"It was a purpose kick to the Achilles' and he definitely tried to injure me,'' Stoudemire said of Bowen. :lol

Johnny RIngo
05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Spurs. Suns talk trash like a group of bitches while the Spurs respond with class. It'll be great to see D'Antoni and his gimmick get eliminated after 5 games. The NBA doesn't need a group of trash-talking floppers in the WCF.

Scumbag
05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
The NBA doesn't need a group of trash-talking floppers in the WCF.

Crying floppers are much better. :cry

missmyzte
05-11-2007, 09:07 PM
"It's a team thing, you don't want to leave Bruce alone all the time,'' Ginobili joked, referring to past accusations against Bowen.'LMAO @ Gino

milkyway21
05-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Stoudemire stood by his remarks Friday. :rolleyes

http://mud.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/4262766548 Waah!!!Waah!!

Johnny RIngo
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Crying floppers are much better. :cry

Which team was it that was whining to the media about officiating and other players? Oh yeah, the Suns. Fact is the Spurs respond with class while the Suns like to bitch, whine, and trash-talk.

While the Spurs have one flopper in Manu the whole Suns team are a group of floppers. Since their defense is so mediocre they need to resort to flops to get some stops. Very cheap IMO, especially when your undeserved MVP keeps sliding under charging players and flailing his arms like he's been hit by a truck. Then there's Raja Bell who likes to flop on both ends of the court.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
They showed more of their comments on ESPN.

Ginobili and Bowen didn't care--they didn't seem happy to be singled out, but took the high road-- but it seemed like Duncan was a little offended on behalf of his teammates.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I love what ginobili said

"I get hard fouls all the time.....I don't say anything"

:lmao

man, i love that guy

milkyway21
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
They showed more of their comments on ESPN.

Ginobili and Bowen didn't care--they didn't seem happy to be singled out, but took the high road-- but it seemed like Duncan was a little offended on behalf of his teammates.yeah, i think he's a little bit pissed.

nice to see Manu joking about the issue..i think he's ready to play game3.

L.I.T
"I'm positive!! I'm not negative!! But all the Spurs are dirty and floppers and my leg hurts...owwwwwwie owie owie."

Oh yeah, I'm entertained. It's like watching a mental train wreck.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

man, i love that guy
yeah, I liked that comment. Manu is cooler than the average NBA babies.

LavaLamp
05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Very cheap IMO, especially when your undeserved MVP keeps sliding under charging players and flailing his arms like he's been hit by a truck. Then there's Raja Bell who likes to flop on both ends of the court.

Taking a charge is good defense. It is as effective as a steal or a block in forcing a turnover. We'll just have to trust the refs to identify when position is established by the defender. In Nash's case, he uses his court vision and intelligence to predict what the offense plans to do, plants himself quickly and then take the charge. It requires skill, speed and athleticism. He is good at it. Flopping is very different from that.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-11-2007, 09:32 PM
say what you want about the suns, but i love steve nash, he's hardly an undeserving mvp, an a very classy guy. it's a shame that while i wouldn't mind seeing him win a ring, it'd be at the cost of seeing idiots like amare and marion getting a ring too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Dear Amare, shut the fuck up. Don't piss off Tim Duncan. Wait a minute. As a Spurs fan, piss him off all you want :lol

What a fucking pussy. But what can you say? Players reflect their coach.

samikeyp
05-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Good.....Timmy is fired up. Usually forbodes well for us.

td4mvp21
05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Good.....Timmy is fired up. Usually forbodes well for us.

Yep, unless his teammates fail to show up :depressed.

conversekid
05-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Taking a charge is good defense. It is as effective as a steal or a block in forcing a turnover. We'll just have to trust the refs to identify when position is established by the defender. In Nash's case, he uses his court vision and intelligence to predict what the offense plans to do, plants himself quickly and then take the charge. It requires skill, speed and athleticism. He is good at it. Flopping is very different from that.

I agree with what you said, most of it. Nash is excellent at setting his offense up in the way you describe. But ALL players flop... yours, ours, GS, UTAH, Detroit, ALL flop. A lot of flopping is to sell contact that was already made - unless your iverson flopping because the wind blew. In a fast paced game, refs don't see all the contact and players will sell the foul.

conversekid
05-11-2007, 09:54 PM
It's not the regular season. We're not going to let people walk through us.

Oh man, what a perfect signature! :)

LavaLamp
05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
But ALL players flop... yours, ours, GS, UTAH, Detroit, ALL flop.

I agree.

I guess we should make a distinction between a flop to help a ref see contact that was made, and a flop which attempts to give the impression of contact when there was none. Can't think of a better word for the former (maybe exaggeration?) whereas the latter is what I normally consider a flop and is actually bad for the game.

GrandeDavid
05-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Stoud has a low IQ. Mad hops, but a low IQ.

alamo50
05-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Is it game time yet?

:ihit

ducks
05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Yep, unless his teammates fail to show up :depressed.
when td is ticked he gets on his teammate
spurs easily win saturday

dbreiden83080
05-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Suns awoke a sleeping giant to an extent here. Timmy is pissed as are Manu and Bruce. Spurs must be thinking, not only do these guys think it is their year and they are finally going to beat us but now they are calling us DIRTY, FUCK THEM!! Spurs will come out like a pack of wolves tomorrow night.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I've never seen the Spurs react angrily to provocation.

MadDog73
05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Are people reading the same quotes I am?

Duncan's not pissed. Ginobli's not pissed. Bowen's not pissed. At least, they're not acting like it.

They seem amused at the situation more than anything.

And they understand what is at stake is more important than anybody's "feelings."

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Duncan looked stoic in his video reaction. So who knows.

SANANTOJAMES
05-11-2007, 11:45 PM
God Help The Suns Cause Spurs Are Coming Hard

dbreiden83080
05-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Duncan's not pissed. Ginobli's not pissed. Bowen's not pissed. At least, they're not acting like it.

And they understand what is at stake is more important than anybody's "feelings."

You have to read between the lines Duncan made a pretty emphatic statement about nobody is going to walk through them. He never says stuff like that. Amare talked a lot of shit and you bet the Spurs heard him loud and clear.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2007, 11:57 PM

You're right, Tim Duncan says shit like 'we're not going to let people walk through us' all the time :rolleyes

Fucking A, Tim Duncan isn't going to come out and say 'fuck that jackass, we're going to kick his ass tomorrow.'

You've got to read between the lines on his comments.

Maybe Amare can talk shit about Tony and Finley tomorrow during pre-game, then he can have the top 6 guys in the rotation all pissed off at once :lol

MadDog73
05-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Hmm, maybe you guys are right.

If anyone needed to get fired up, though, it's Manu not Tim...

(not that a fired up Tim is a bad thing...)

OldDirtMcGirt
05-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Duncan looked stoic in his video reaction. So who knows.

Duncan looked stoic! Stop the presses! :lol

Anyways, I think I speak for all parties when I say that this whole thing is fucking stupid. There are no lasting injuries and it looks like both teams are moving on, and they're just in time. I'm pumped up for some basketball.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-12-2007, 12:32 AM

:lol

Obstructed_View
05-12-2007, 12:35 AM
With Amare's incredible ability to rehab, I'm sure he'll be ready by game time.

Tek_XX
05-12-2007, 12:36 AM
I guess the first impression that Amare is not so bright is actually factual.

lefty
05-12-2007, 12:37 AM
One word : :hungry:

Tek_XX
05-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Gawd i hope the Spurs get pissed off and send these dramatic fuckers back to sprawlville

milkyway21
05-12-2007, 01:02 AM

Anyways, I think I speak for all parties when I say that this whole thing is fucking stupid. There are no lasting injuries and it looks like both teams are moving on, and they're just in time. I'm pumped up for some basketball...the lasting injury is Bruce Bowen being called dirty by Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Isaiah Thomas and now..
the Spurs team by Amare, the San Antonio Spurs reputation of winning titles and playoff contenders for the past years that they worked so hard to build, now blemished with those "dirty" accusations.

bobbyjoe
05-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Actually, Stoudemire called Duncan the classiest person in the league and said his main beefs are with Bowen and Manu.

You forgot George Karl, Phil Jackson, Steve Francis, Wally Szerbiak from your list. Actually the list should pretty much state:

All NBA fans and players outside of San Antonio (regarding Bowen of course, not the entire team).

And I think your comments about tainted titles, etc is going too far. A guy went out of his way to kick Amare in the achilles on a dirty play and he called him out. That's all their was too it. Just calling a spade a spade.

milkyway21
05-12-2007, 01:19 AM
when there's a lot of people calling someone dirty it's alarming. Esp now that Amare mention the Spurs team before singling out Bruce.

some still mention Malone & Stockton play dirty to this day.

but i hope you're right. that it won't change anything

And I think your comments about tainted titles, etc is going too far. A guy went out of his way to kick Amare though i don't think Bruce intentionally want to hurt Amare.

judaspriestess
05-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Actually, Stoudemire called Duncan the classiest person in the league and said his main beefs are with Bowen and Manu.

You forgot George Karl, Phil Jackson, Steve Francis, Wally Szerbiak from your list. Actually the list should pretty much state:

All NBA fans and players outside of San Antonio (regarding Bowen of course, not the entire team).

And I think your comments about tainted titles, etc is going too far. A guy went out of his way to kick Amare in the achilles on a dirty play and he called him out. That's all their was too it. Just calling a spade a spade.

It used to be karl malone and now its Bruce Bowen, when Bowen is gone it will be someone else. Its a cycle that will never end. Bruce Bowen is a boyscout compared to the dirtiest player of all time karl malone.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-12-2007, 01:33 AM
some still mention Malone & Stockton play dirty to this day.
. Are you implying that "Elbows" Malone had a stigma under false pretenses, and didn't earn that reputation himself? :lol

Besides, Spurs are the last team to care about "reputation" or being tainted by labels.

This is the team that has been called "boring" since they won their first title, and they don't care, they've picked up two more titles along the way. They'll just try to keep on winning, and let their game speak for itself, not by frustrated losers/ignorami.

Behrooz24
05-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Are you implying that "Elbows" Malone had a stigma under false pretenses, and didn't earn that reputation himself? :lol

Besides, Spurs are the last team to care about "reputation" or being tainted by labels.

This is the team that has been called "boring" since they won their first title, and they don't care, they've picked up two more titles along the way. They'll just try to keep on winning, and let their game speak for itself, not by frustrated losers/ignorami.

Amen. :)

milkyway21
05-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Are you implying that "Elbows" Malone had a stigma under false pretenses, and didn't earn that reputation himself? :lol

:lol the Admiral dozed off right? He saw butterflies. he wasn' faking it.

Manudona
05-12-2007, 02:10 AM
say what you want about the suns, but i love steve nash, he's hardly an undeserving mvp, an a very classy guy. it's a shame that while i wouldn't mind seeing him win a ring, it'd be at the cost of seeing idiots like amare and marion getting a ring too.

Ditto

bolat
05-12-2007, 03:32 AM
It'll be great to see D'Antoni and his gimmick get eliminated after 5 games.

Why do people consider the Suns uptempo style a gimmick? The Showtime Lakers and Celtics actually played faster, averaged more points per game, and consistently had higher game totals. Magic, Bird, Kareem, Parrish were all just gimmick players? People who hate the Suns say it's just a gimmick without understanding that historically all teams played this way.

Horry For 3!
05-12-2007, 03:39 AM

man, i love that guy
Yeah, I heard that too. It is true though, he gets killed out there but doesn't say shit. Amare is a walking crying pussy.

The_Game
05-12-2007, 06:51 AM
i can't believe people in this thread. You have to be completely idiotic to think any comments players say motivates guys even more. If they aren't motivated in the conference semis then there is something wrong

what amare said won't have any baring on how well spurs play.

ponky
05-12-2007, 07:01 AM
i can't believe people in this thread. You have to be completely idiotic to think any comments players say motivates guys even more. If they aren't motivated in the conference semis then there is something wrong

yup, amare sounds like a little whiny ass from the way his comments read, even though i wouldn't put it pass bowen to try to undercut him but whatever, nothing was too clear from the video and it didn't do any harm so amare should've just stfu.

however, duncan's comments, while upstanding, don't really instill fear into anyone other than spurs fans who are like "uh-oh now you've pissed off timmy" first off, the guy's name is affectionately, TIMMY (not exactly scary) and he's too quiet and nice to be scary. like last year with the whole "we'll see who's left glaring at the end" or some such nonsense, i just laughed and wasn't worried that it would have any impact whatsoever on either pumping the spurs up or getting the mavs all shaking in their shoes. i'm not dissing duncan, he's just an affable dude so when he says stuff like this it makes me laugh, that's all.

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2007, 07:26 AM
When Tim Duncan is stoic, he's a scary basketball player.

When Tim Duncan is pissed, historically, he's a beast.

I don't think Duncan is "pissed" in the way that he's been angry at external stuff in the past. I do think, though, that the Spurs have closed ranks and are a tighter group today than they might have been had they won Game 2. I think they're angry at themselves because they know they didn't give a good effort in Game 2. They know that despite the fact that they didn't give a very good effort in that game, they were within striking distance into the early 4th quarter. Couple of extra shots roll in (instead of the many that rolled out) during those first three quarters and the pressure on the Suns would have been immense. And still, the pressure on the Suns is there. If the Spurs play well, they can functionally end this series over the next 72 hours or so. They've been to this rodeo before. They tend to skip the sideshow and get right to the matter at hand. I think they'll do that tonight.

Hoy
05-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Are we seeing Timmy going gangsta?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Spoken like someone who has never played sports in your life. You're always up for games in the playoffs, but if your opponent says something in the press or out on the court, it fires you up even more.

samikeyp
05-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Do players care what fans say? No.
But their peers? absolutely.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2007, 10:01 AM
yup, amare sounds like a little whiny ass from the way his comments read, even though i wouldn't put it pass bowen to try to undercut him but whatever, nothing was too clear from the video and it didn't do any harm so amare should've just stfu.

however, duncan's comments, while upstanding, don't really instill fear into anyone other than spurs fans who are like "uh-oh now you've pissed off timmy" first off, the guy's name is affectionately, TIMMY (not exactly scary) and he's too quiet and nice to be scary. like last year with the whole "we'll see who's left glaring at the end" or some such nonsense, i just laughed and wasn't worried that it would have any impact whatsoever on either pumping the spurs up or getting the mavs all shaking in their shoes. i'm not dissing duncan, he's just an affable dude so when he says stuff like this it makes me laugh, that's all.

That's because all you outsiders who don't regularly follow the Spurs don't know shit about Tim. You think that because he doesn't come out and make some 'we're going to kill those mother fuckers' statement to the press, or because he doesn't punch a guy in the groin over a loose ball, that he hasn't taken issue with Amare's crying.

I'm laughing too, because you're trying to come off like you know something Spurs fans don't about Tim and his demeanor and comments, when in reality you know about as much about Tim and how he operates as Dirk knows about showing up when it counts in the playoffs.

Borosai
05-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Hard fouls...make them all count.

The_Game
05-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Spoken like someone who has never played sports in your life. You're always up for games in the playoffs, but if your opponent says something in the press or out on the court, it fires you up even more.

Actually I have fool, most likely at a much higher level than you could even dream about. I actually was part of a team that made the NCAA elite 8 several years ago so don't come back at me with this crap.

Fact is no matter what people say you play the same way. You play the best you can and see what happens. History has shown people talking trash has no baring on the games.

T Park
05-12-2007, 10:43 AM
FWD, I hope your 100% right my man...

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Actually I have fool, most likely at a much higher level than you could even dream about. I actually was part of a team that made the NCAA elite 8 several years ago so don't come back at me with this crap.

Fact is no matter what people say you play the same way. You play the best you can and see what happens. History has shown people talking trash has no baring on the games.

Well I guess you're just wired differently than others then. My teammates used to tell guys I was playing against that I started playing like crap when they talked shit to me. Didn't always work, but when it did I played better and usually schooled them.

I know other guys on my team that were wired the same way, and knew some guys in college that way too (including one now playing in the NBA). To each his own, I guess.

ponky
05-12-2007, 11:14 AM
That's because all you outsiders who don't regularly follow the Spurs don't know shit about Tim. You think that because he doesn't come out and make some 'we're going to kill those mother fuckers' statement to the press, or because he doesn't punch a guy in the groin over a loose ball, that he hasn't taken issue with Amare's crying.

I'm laughing too, because you're trying to come off like you know something Spurs fans don't about Tim and his demeanor and comments, when in reality you know about as much about Tim and how he operates as Dirk knows about showing up when it counts in the playoffs.

Simmer down, jesus fucking christ, you always get so freakin' defensive about nothing. I wasn't saying that Timmy doesn't get pissed off in private or that he doesn't diss other players privately, blah blah blah. I said that I laugh when he makes these comments in public because he COMES OFF as an affable dude who is quiet and polite and one of the more intelligent guys when it comes to getting in front of the mic. Don't get so fucking defensive, only a moron would disagree. I can only go by what he does in public so when he comes off as affable and then makes such a statement, it is fucking hilarious. Now, this has nothing to do with how he may feel inside, which may be that he wants to knock the living shit out of Amare and the Suns...which is great. Learn how to read before posting.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Bump. Would love to hear your explanation for Duncan saying straight up that Amare's comments 'added fuel to the fire today.'

Guess you better call up TD and tell him about your Elite 8 days...

cornbread
05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Are we seeing Timmy going gangsta?
If bank shots are gangsta, Tim Duncan was Al fuckin Capone tonight.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Man, TD just gave a fucking clinic!

lefty
05-12-2007, 11:14 PM
It seemed like he missed just one shot ; legendary display

Crookshanks
05-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Tim said they came out with a chip on their shoulder tonight - specifically because of Amare's comments. Don' tell us it didn't fire them up!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Tim said they came out with a chip on their shoulder tonight - specifically because of Amare's comments. Don' tell us it didn't fire them up!

Are you fucking crazy? I went to the Elite 8, what opponents say doesn't mean a thing [/The Game]

Obstructed_View
05-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Are you fucking crazy? I went to the Elite 8, what opponents say doesn't mean a thing [/The Game]
Hey, don't get snippy. Fans are "part of the team" too, ya know.

TampaDude
05-13-2007, 12:07 AM
If bank shots are gangsta, Tim Duncan was Al fuckin Capone tonight.

http://www.poster.net/scarface/scarface-photo-scarface-6229381.jpg
Say hello to my little friend!!!