PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wallace, you have chosen...

EastsBeasts
05-12-2007, 08:42 AM
poorly.

:blah

JamStone
05-12-2007, 08:55 AM
uhhhh, no he didn't

trueD
05-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Pistons are rocking the NBA free world!

Who woulda thunk C-Webb in the middle, at vets minimum salary, would make the dif? Rates right up there with the Mavs losing to the 8 seed and the Heat getting swept in the first round in the IRONY department.

GO PISTONS!

kingsfan
05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1664/fearthedoughlolqc9.jpg

Vinnie_Johnson
05-12-2007, 09:50 AM
60 Million! 60 MILLION! I think you need to ask did the bulls make the right choice?

kingsfan
05-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Pistons are rocking the NBA free world!

Who woulda thunk C-Webb in the middle, at vets minimum salary, would make the dif? Rates right up there with the Mavs losing to the 8 seed and the Heat getting swept in the first round in the IRONY department.

GO PISTONS!I always knew he could do it, it's just the haters who doubted him :p:

Trainwreck2100
05-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Ben wallace made the right choice cause only an idiot would pay him that much.

TDMVPDPOY
05-12-2007, 11:55 AM
the question is does ben wallace deserves those 4dpoys he has?

i reckon most of them had something to do with rasheed wallace

JamStone
05-12-2007, 12:37 PM

2 of them were won without rasheed wallace. that's half without rasheed wallace. therefore, it's impossible for "most" of them to have something to do with rasheed wallace.

loveThe23
05-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I always knew he could do it, it's just the haters who doubted him :p:

kingsfan you said the bulls were one of your favorite teams, and i know they still are. and you were rooting for them before this series, so don't hate!! next year for the bulls, they'll have the experience..UNlike this year. Fro, have fun in Lake Michigan, it's nice in the summer. :toast

Vinnie_Johnson
05-12-2007, 11:08 PM

That's the truth Sheed is the better man on man defender Ben is a great weak side help blocker.

PM5K
05-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Ben did alright, he already got his ring and now he's got a shitload of money...

TDMVPDPOY
05-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Ben did alright, he already got his ring and now he's got a shitload of money...

wat ring?

i question the pistons 03/04 ring though, they think ben wallace is the center piece to there defense and title run, when in fact without rasheed wallace they are not contenders.

Rasheed was the most important piece in the puzzle that turn them into contenders and gave them that low post defense/offense presence something ben wallace is not.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 12:07 AM
For 60 million bucks, Ben would have signed with the Shock.

FreshPrince22
05-13-2007, 12:13 AM
wat ring?

i question the pistons 03/04 ring though, they think ben wallace is the center piece to there defense and title run, when in fact without rasheed wallace they are not contenders.

And without Chauncey we wouldn't have been contenders. Without Rip we wouldn't have been contenders. Without Tayshaun we wouldn't have been contenders. Without Ben we wouldn't have been contenders.

Sheed was the final piece, but that doesn't mean he was the most important. Just like C-Webb this year. He was the last piece to the puzzle. Without him who knows where this team would be right now. I know they wouldn't be 7-0 in the playoffs, that's for sure. Yet C-Webb is still just the 5th most important piece on the team (6th on some nights).

jacobdrj
05-13-2007, 10:25 AM
For those of you who have not actually watched the Pistons much since 2001:

Ben Wallace is a team defender. He was NEVER EVER touted as a great 1-on-1 defender. Ben Wallace does deserve 4 DPOY's, but not the 4 DPOY's he got. The last one was probably based on name recognition, but the fact is, he deserved the DPOY in 2001 a LOT more than who got it, who also got it on name recognition.

Ben Wallace has always been most effective (read won) when he had a great man on post defender next to him. Since 2002, the first 50 win season, he has had that guy: Cliff Robinson (arguably a top 2 man on post defender in the NBA, even today) and Rasheed Wallace (arguably a top 2 man on post defender in the NBA, even today). In 2004, after Uncle Cliffy was traded and before we got Sheed, Ben was less effective, which allowed for Artest to get the award that year. Pistons had a redundant defender in Memo Okur: He was also a team defender, not a man on defender. This created problems on the floor when Memo and Ben were on at the same time. It worked BRILLIANTLY against teams with lumbering centers like Shaq and Yao, but was worthless against the more mobile pathetic centers in the NBA. Once Sheed was moved to the starting lineup, he had not only the defense, but the scoring that was desperately needed, it was the only piece the Pistons lacked: They already had a top 2 bench 3 years running, already had great perimeter threats, 2 small forwards who were complete opposites. They just needed a low post threat at either the 4 or 5.

Make no mistake about it, Ben is a great team defender. He defends teams when other players just take their man. And he did it before there was Zone defense. An amazing accomplishment.

Ben is older now, and more importantly, he lacks the man on defender who lets Ben do his job, which is to stop penetration. He is still effective, but not against every set of players. He isn't dominant right now.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-13-2007, 10:29 AM
For those of you who have not actually watched the Pistons much since 2001:

Ben Wallace is a team defender. He was NEVER EVER touted as a great 1-on-1 defender. Ben Wallace does deserve 4 DPOY's, but not the 4 DPOY's he got. The last one was probably based on name recognition, but the fact is, he deserved the DPOY in 2001 a LOT more than who got it, who also got it on name recognition.

Ben Wallace has always been most effective (read won) when he had a great man on post defender next to him. Since 2002, the first 50 win season, he has had that guy: Cliff Robinson (arguably a top 2 man on post defender in the NBA, even today) and Rasheed Wallace (arguably a top 2 man on post defender in the NBA, even today). In 2004, after Uncle Cliffy was traded and before we got Sheed, Ben was less effective, which allowed for Artest to get the award that year. Pistons had a redundant defender in Memo Okur: He was also a team defender, not a man on defender. This created problems on the floor when Memo and Ben were on at the same time. It worked BRILLIANTLY against teams with lumbering centers like Shaq and Yao, but was worthless against the more mobile pathetic centers in the NBA. Once Sheed was moved to the starting lineup, he had not only the defense, but the scoring that was desperately needed, it was the only piece the Pistons lacked: They already had a top 2 bench 3 years running, already had great perimeter threats, 2 small forwards who were complete opposites. They just needed a low post threat at either the 4 or 5.

Make no mistake about it, Ben is a great team defender. He defends teams when other players just take their man. And he did it before there was Zone defense. An amazing accomplishment.

Ben is older now, and more importantly, he lacks the man on defender who lets Ben do his job, which is to stop penetration. He is still effective, but not against every set of players. He isn't dominant right now.

:clap Good post.

trueD
05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
:clap Good post.
Seriously, we've been schooled!