View Full Version : guess what another pacer was involved

ducks
11-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Top Stories - AP
AP
Police Seek Chair Thrower in NBA Brawl

1 hour, 6 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Top Stories - AP

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Police said Wednesday they have received some tips in their effort to determine who threw a chair during the brawl that broke out during last week's Pistons-Pacers game.

Photo
AP Photo

AP Photo Photo
AP Photo
Slideshow Slideshow: Brawl Erupts at Pacers-Pistons Game

The man has not yet been identified, but investigators continue to conduct interviews and follow up on tips about the fight, police in this Detroit suburb said.

Police also determined that a fourth Pacer, reserve center David Harrison, was involved, Lt. James Manning said. Manning said footage of the fight shows clearly that it was Harrison who punched John Ackerman, 67, in the stands. Ackerman claimed in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that it was Jermaine O'Neal who hit him.

However, O'Neal can be seen hitting other fans, Manning said.

O'Neal has been suspended for 25 games for his role in the brawl, Stephen Jackson for 30, and Ron Artest, who was the first to bound into the stands and begin punching fans, for the rest of the season. Police have not been able to talk to any of the Pacers, Manning said.

The fight among spectators and players broke out near the end of Friday's game after an on-court dispute over a foul. A fan hurled a drink at Artest, who then charged into the stands and began beating a man he thought had done it.

The man attacked by Artest, Mike Ryan, of Clarkston, has retained a lawyer, but has not decided yet whether to sue. Other people hurt in the fight have filed suits against the Pacers, individual players and The Palace.

"Artest attacked him and wrongfully so," Ryan's lawyer, Todd Flood, said Wednesday. "My client was truly an innocent victim."

Manning said a reward of up to $1,000 was available for information on the fight.

On Tuesday, police released a video showing a man in the crowd who is believed to have hurled the chair, which hit several people.

Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca has said players and fans could be charged with misdemeanor assault and battery. The only possible felony charge currently under consideration would be against the chair-thrower.

Among the people hit by a chair was a police officer, but his injuries were so minor that Manning said it was doubtful a separate charge would be issued for assaulting an officer.

The investigation could take two to three weeks, police said Tuesday. Investigators planned to continue to review videotapes and interview witnesses before issuing charges.

E20
11-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I saw it on PTI today.

ChumpDumper
11-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Ackerman claimed in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that it was Jermaine O'Neal who hit him.That would've hurt his case had the footage not been conclusive. Look for a "So they all look alike to you?" defense tactic.

Supergirl
11-24-2004, 11:42 PM
So will the NBA be responding and suspending David Harrison, too? I had not heard about this.

Phenomanul
11-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Ackerman claimed in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that it was Jermaine O'Neal who hit him.

That would've hurt his case had the footage not been conclusive. Look for a "So they all look alike to you?" defense tactic.

David Harrison = Small money (rookie contract)

Jermaine O'Neal = Big money (franchise max contract)

I'm sure Ackerman knew who hit him but also knew (or was advised) who has the dough....