PDA

View Full Version : Official "I can do it better" thread

spurschick
05-12-2007, 11:18 AM
There has been a lot of feedback thrown around in different threads on how the Spurs organization can make the game experience better, i.e. replace Stan Kelly, hand certain things out at the front entrance, change the music, etc. It's time to consolidate all of the ideas into one thread. If you have a serious suggestion, post it here. And by "serious", I mean don't post that the people in the balcony, a.k.a. Club 200, should get to switch places with the lower level people. It ain't gonna happen.

Go. :wakeup

stretch
05-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Free hookers.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
At least during the playoffs: do the T-shirt thing like Oracle Arena. Black Out the ATT.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh, and the Spurs need a new rabble rouser. The current guy is lame.

Duel > Crazy Lou > new guy

Lebowski Brickowski
05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
The cheap seats should be lower level.

seriously

spurschick
05-12-2007, 11:30 AM

I like Kevin Brock's voice, but I agree that he may seem a little soft. What would you think about two people keeping the crowd pumped? A man/woman tandem? I've seen a woman getting the crown riled up in other arenas and it seems to work well. Of course she would have to be cute, but she would also have to have a loud voice that would really get the crowd into it.

spurschick
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
The cheap seats should be lower level.

seriously

What if there were a couple of rows in each lower level section that were designated as cheaper? It wouldn't guarantee that the people that bought those seats would be consistently loud, but perhaps if it were marketed/sold as "the ring of whatever" and people knew that they needed to cheer and be loud if they bought those seats, it might work.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I like Kevin Brock's voice, but I agree that he may seem a little soft. What would you think about two people keeping the crowd pumped? A man/woman tandem? I've seen a woman getting the crown riled up in other arenas and it seems to work well. Of course she would have to be cute, but she would also have to have a loud voice that would really get the crowd into it.
That might work. It has to be someone or someones who can really rile the crowd, though. Duel had that knack. The best description was by Sequ, regarding the '03 Finals: Duel was like a brotha in church.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 11:37 AM
What if there were a couple of rows in each lower level section that were designated as cheaper? It wouldn't guarantee that the people that bought those seats would be consistently loud, but perhaps if it were marketed/sold as "the ring of whatever" and people knew that they needed to cheer and be loud if they bought those seats, it might work.
I think they would get snagged over the internet by the same types of fans that get them now. Techno edge. If the rowdies did manage to get them, they would probably be told to sit down and be quiet by those around them. :lol

spurschick
05-12-2007, 11:38 AM
That might work. It has to be someone or someones who can really rile the crowd, though. Duel had that knack. The best description was by Sequ, regarding the '03 Finals: Duel was like a brotha in church.

I wouldn't mind Kevin Brock taking over Stan Kelly's job. Not that I don't like Stan, he's a very nice man, but it is time to put a new coat of paint on the franchise.

Crazy Lou was great, he just wasn't available to return. They didn't want him to leave and were sorry to see him go.

ponky
i'm not a spurs fan (well, i am for about a week or two), i'm just bored right now until tipoff. anyway get t-shirts and you guys should have something like those rockets rowdies, a devoted section in the lower section all sitting together at each and every game cheering their heads off...have auditions too, i'd LOVE to see that :lol

nkdlunch
WGAF, just win.

Spurs are a machine, it don't matter what trim you put on it as long as the engine is running. get a W, that's all I care about

~Sweetmelody~
05-12-2007, 11:39 AM

I would buy some !
I only get to go to a game once a year, we always try to get seats in the 100's and I always cheer like crazy. Sometimes people around me laugh, but I don't care, I only get to go once a year!

hmm there is an idea. Fans have to alternate for good seats, lol
The harder the cheer, the better the seat! :lol

Shelly
05-12-2007, 11:39 AM
PLEASE get rid of 'y'all ready for this'!!!!

That song makes my ears bleed.

spurschick
05-12-2007, 11:41 AM
I think they would get snagged over the internet by the same types of fans that get them now. Techno edge. If the rowdies did manage to get them, they would probably be told to sit down and be quiet by those around them. :lol

This is were the sales department would step in. If they made it so that you could only purchase these seats directly through them, like the Baseline Bums section, you wouldn't have the internet problem. People would get familiar enough to know that these people will be cheering the entire game and they could choose not sit near them or stfu.

Ginofan
05-12-2007, 11:49 AM
"Ring of Rowdies".... I like it.

I also dig the t-shirt thing during the playoffs. New music is definitely in order, and Stan has got to go. I'm sure if we held auditions or something we could find a decent announcer here in SA

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
i'm not a spurs fan (well, i am for about a week or two), i'm just bored right now until tipoff. anyway get t-shirts and you guys should have something like those rockets rowdies, a devoted section in the lower section all sitting together at each and every game cheering their heads off...have auditions too, i'd LOVE to see that :lol

The Spurs might well have been the organization to start that sort of a group, with the Baseline Bums. Like I said in another thread, though, I'm not sure that the Bums are still what they once were. In the day, they were the most venomous and rabid fans in the building and had the opportunity to affect the game with their proximity to the floor. I don't doubt that the current Bums are big fans, but they seem almost like the Spurs Auxilliary -- a glorified spirit group that doesn't have a particularly hard edge.

On other issues:

I think Big Kev could be effective, but he takes too damned long to deliver anything that he wants to say. He's getting better, but I recall early in the season, his set-ups on just about everything caused the "entertainment" portions of the program to extend beyond the timeout. I think the difference between Kev and Lou before him was that Lou seemed to really want to pump the crowd up and didn't really care if he happened to be glib and entertaining in that process. Kevin seems far more interested in being an entertainer and if that happens to juice the crowd, so be it. I find it interesting that they still pump in Crazy Lou's "we need it Metallica loud" at times during games -- though I wonder sometimes if most of the people in the arena have any conception of what that really means.

I think the Spurs could do a better job of tailoring promotions to situations. Flags are a neat idea, but they don't make any noise and aren't particularly useful in playoff situations for that reason. I still think that the most brilliant marketing hand-out was the maracas/rattles that were given out before Game 2 of the Denver series in 2005. People couldn't help but make noise with those things and I thought it did give the Spurs more of a home-court advantage during that game. I don't know, honestly, if the league put limitations on using things like that, but the more noise making, the better. The game that I went to in Dallas last year, the Mavs handed out plastic "clappers." Of course, when I went to Sacramento last year, they gave out these purple glow sticks that looked like dildos.

While t-shirts don't make noise, I do think that they bring a sense of unity to a crowd. It gives that feeling of being at a college game, where everyone is wearing the same stuff (or at least the same color) and fully committed to the home team. There just seems to be some psychological element involved. Of course, handing out t-shirts is a far more expensive endeavor for a sponsor (or the team) than handing out Express News banners that can be folded up into some sort of noise-making device or pom-poms.

GrandeDavid
05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Free hookers.

If they were free, they wouldn't be hookers. They'd just be hoze.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 11:54 AM
The announcer has GOT TO GO, it's the year 2007, pump up the fans with some colloquial sayings at least, he's so freaking boring.

traitoravery
05-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Umm we already have the Baseline Bums and they have been there forever...Stan Kelly is awesome. I wanna hear TNT Dynamite when they come out.

KEDA
05-12-2007, 12:14 PM
The music at the game, both pre-game and during needs to be changed.

I love Stan Kelly as he has been with the team for what seems forever, but a change is due.

Kevin is ok, I think he could do better, maybe a coaching session with Chris Duel, or a duet with him is what he needs.

I personally love the shirt idea, I have been envious of this since Miami did it a few years ago, it shows that the franchise wants to give a little back to the fans as well as it shows a "unity" of 18,787 people.

Heres an idea, silly or not, but lower the price of beer by one dollar, that might loosen the not-so-diehard fan up and get them to cheer a little louder.

IX_Equilibrium
05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm glad so many people hate the job that Stan Kelly does as much as I do.

Get rid of Kelly and get someone like the guy that the Pistons has.

For the love of God, get rid of "Y'all ready for this?"

SpursWoman
05-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Miami's white-out made it look like they were playing in an insane asylum. That had to be very disturbing to the players. :lol

spurschick
05-12-2007, 12:24 PM
If they were to implement this "ring of rowdies" idea, I'm wondering if the Baseline Bums would want first crack at it. I'm not sure if they prefer being clustered together or if they would be willing to spread out in one row around the arena. If we're looking for unity and use of noisemakers, etc., these people have it down to a science and to have an entire row in each section dedicated for Bums, it make get more people in each section going. The section previously dedicated for the Bums could then be a lower priced spirit section. Since Academy already sponsors a spirit section, maybe they would sponsor it and you could only buy tickets for that section through them.

SequSpur
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Stan Kelly is terrible. The music is terrible...

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.....

WTF is that?

Sometimes, I think Spurs entertainment is leaned towards the gay community...

because... it's just plain......

gay...............................

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2007, 12:46 PM
* Do a black out w/ t-shirts for the playoffs (A&M started doing a white out last year at their big home games, an idea that was made famous by Miami last year in the playoffs)

* Get rid of the current PA guy. Duel was great.

* Log into the sound system. Find the track called 'Y'all Ready for this?'. Delete it. If anyone ever brings it back, fire them. Same thing for 'If You're Happy and You Know It' and all the other crap they have been playing for the last 15-20 years at games.

* Intro music needs to have more of an edge. Think ACDC. Or the one a couple of years ago (1999 maybe?) that had the Linkin Parkish rap metal band that were sporting commercials in their vids. At least I think it was the 1999 playoffs, but the song had an edge to it and fired up the crowd.

* Get some of the guys on the team to challenge the fans. "No one comes into this house and gets a win with this crowd" type thing. I don't know the wording, it'd be one of those kickass fire up the world and make the fans want to run through a brick wall type speeches. Get someone stoic like Tim to deliver it, and it would have even more of an impact.

* Go Spurs Go flags? Weak. Get some noise makers. Thundersticks, or to be more SA, the mariachis a couple years back were great.

* Set it up so that the Baseline Bums or whoever can get to the games early, come down low, and talk trash at the end of the court where the visitors are warming up.

SA210
05-12-2007, 12:50 PM
-Spurschick, I absolutely love your idea of a man and woman duo, that's great, but yea, they have to be loud and energetic, and she has to be hot! Awesome idea!

1) Get rid of Stan Kelly
(Insert Spurschick's male/female duo (but female must be hott! and they gotta be loud!)

2) Get rid of "Ya'll Ready For This"
(And not only get rid of the song "Ya'll ready for This" at the games, but please tell me who is responsible for playing this crap every damn year. Who the hell loves this frickin' song over there, I want a name!)

3) Keep all the Rocky stuff, anything Rocky is great!

4) Blackout! Blackout! Blackout!
For the Playoffs a sponsor needs to step up and hand out over 18,000 black shirts.
(And sooner or later, SA needs to start showing up to games in all black, we need to get in that habit where it's the norm, promote it thru commercials or something to make it a normal thing at Spurs games. Like a black dress code. That would set us apart from other arenas, where eventually we don't need sponsors, we normally come like that to games)

5) Hire a badass DJ for the music.
Enough of this soft crap, cowboy melodies, "if your happy and you know it, clap your hands" Ton Loc, etc.
Play some hard stuff.

6) Spurschick "Ring of Rowdies" idea, Great! :tu

I love my Spurs, but the marketing team has sucked many years now. I remember I was bugging the FO once to get those plastic bangers for a Timberwolves game, I told her our crowd needed to be very loud, louder than any NBA arena.

The lady on the phone sounded very excited and told me not to worry. She said they would be handing out pink pom poms that night.

I went to the game, and sure enough it was PINK pom poms. :bang :bang :bang :bang

And it fit Stan Kelly's voice, and it fit the soft music, and it fit right along with "Ya'll Ready for This" and it fit the "soft" label.

Change is NEEDED!

kris
05-12-2007, 01:10 PM
My ideas cost money, but I'll go ahead and write some down.

1. Pay for the rights to some new music. This has been said, but can't be said enough. There are only about 4 songs I'd keep (I can't explain them by typing, but you get the idea).

2. New games with more cash. F the prizes and show me the money. I miss the days when people used to miss half court shots for $50k.

3. The Luby's toy scramble is an incredibly cruel game if you think about it. The Coyote is sitting there throwing every toy he can get his hands on to the kids corner and the remaining toys all go to the Christus Rosa Children Hospital. It's a good ploy for a tie in to marketing, but leave it just to the kids. Or maybe keep it, what the hell do I know... LJ and I seem to be the only ones that notice.

<slightly off topic but I wanted to throw that in>

4. I actually say keep Stan Kelly. As annoying as he is and for as many times as he says or said "Get the bike," the guy has been solid through the years and probably gets paid peanuts by the Spurs. He's loyal, comes to the game no matter how sick he is, and he's actually a big fan of the spurs. Plus, he knows everything inside and out. I'd give him a full endorsement, but his new thing of calling Francisco Elson "cisco" is really gay.

5. No SBC coyote crew or whatever they call them. The only thing I really like about them is pointing out how much of a square that one guy is. He's like 5'6'' 280 and I really don't think he's all that strong as much as he is built with short extensions reinforced with power weight.

6. Black out, White out, Silver out - whatever. Pay the money one game and just do it. Don't rely on the radio to try to get people to wear their Spurs shirts they already bought. If it's going to work, you have to give them out.

7. Sell alcohol cheaper. This sounds like a losing proposition at first glance, but maybe you have a $1 off sale on beer and everybody thinks it a really great deal and they get drunk and cheer louder. Then, you can save money on any other promotions.

Drunk people cheer loud. Bottomline.

SAtown
05-12-2007, 01:20 PM
No more thundersticks, as it's made people lazy as shit. Whatever happened to standing up and yelling? Now we have a bunch of old ass people looking at me like I'm a maniac when I yell.

Every game I get told to sit down and shut up (in the nosebleeds).

KEDA
05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
7. Sell alcohol cheaper. This sounds like a losing proposition at first glance, but maybe you have a $1 off sale on beer and everybody thinks it a really great deal and they get drunk and cheer louder. Then, you can save money on any other promotions.

See, Im not the only one that thought of this. Kris, my friend, you are one smart dude!

SpursWoman
05-12-2007, 01:22 PM

No doubt. That's exactly how the Baseline Bums originated ... like on $.50 beer night or something.

I know I am a lot more impervious to people around me telling me to STFU & sit down when I've had a few.

And stopping beer sales at the end of the 3rd quarter is for shit ... it takes fans totally out of the 4th quarter, when they are likely to be needed most. :lol :drunk

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-12-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm very biased, but I like Kevin Brock.

kris
05-12-2007, 01:30 PM
No more thundersticks, as it's made people lazy as shit. Whatever happened to standing up and yelling? Now we have a bunch of old ass people looking at me like I'm a maniac when I yell.

Every game I get told to sit down and shut up (in the nosebleeds).

Yeah, REAL basketball fans have been outlawed. You can't yell or standup without getting hushed or told to sit down and the ushers will back this up because you're not timing your yelling or standing up appropriately to where everybody else is loud or on their feet.

It will be sad for my kid when I take him to a modern day sporting event and everything will be assimilated to the point where "disorderly" people are reprimanded. Drunken slobs, yelling, some cursing (not too bad), chanting, taunting, ref barbs, etc. should be a part of the game. That's part of the experience.

Real fans such as these are a dying breed. Maybe they still have some at the Red Sox game.

kris
05-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm very biased, but I like Kevin Brock.

I'm unbiased and I like Crazy Lou. That guy had an awesome thing going where he'd say something (I forgot what) to get everybody into the game right before tip off.

Chris Duel is good for everything else.

Crazy Lou wore armbands which I never understood and had really bad hair until he cut it.

I think, and this is just a guess, but I think the previous guys left because they asked for more money after the season and the Spurs sent them packing.

I heard some rumor the SilverStars only make $100/game. Is that true?

Oh yeah on the topic of frugality, saw Peter Holt at Big Lots and he asked me for a lift to the dollar tree :wtf

cherylsteele
05-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Stan Kelly is terrible. The music is terrible...

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.....
Next thing you know we'll be singing B-I-N-G-O...and bingo was his name-o.

cherylsteele
05-12-2007, 01:44 PM
4) Blackout! Blackout! Blackout!
For the Playoffs a sponsor needs to step up and hand out over 18,000 black shirts.
(And sooner or later, SA needs to start showing up to games in all black, we need to get in that habit where it's the norm, promote it thru commercials or something to make it a normal thing at Spurs games. Like a black dress code. That would set us apart from other arenas, where eventually we don't need sponsors, we normally come like that to games)
Maybe play "Blackout" by the Scorpions before the game.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm unbiased and I like Crazy Lou. That guy had an awesome thing going where he'd say something (I forgot what) to get everybody into the game right before tip off.

Chris Duel is good for everything else.

Crazy Lou wore armbands which I never understood and had really bad hair until he cut it.

I think, and this is just a guess, but I think the previous guys left because they asked for more money after the season and the Spurs sent them packing.

I heard some rumor the SilverStars only make $100/game. Is that true?

Oh yeah on the topic of frugality, saw Peter Holt at Big Lots and he asked me for a lift to the dollar tree :wtf
Kris, your Mouse imitation is getting old, and frankly pales next to the original.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 01:51 PM
How about two tone T-shirts? Black/Silver, and you switch them at the half?

Spurminator
05-12-2007, 01:59 PM
"Y'all Ready for This" has to go. The song used for the beginning of the second half would be a great intro song, and original because no one uses it.

Also, all concessions stands should accept credit cards.

Otherwise, I thought the presentation at the one game I've been to at AT&T was pretty good. That said, this is coming from someone who is used to watching games at the AAC.

caŽlo
05-12-2007, 02:02 PM
when the spurs are bringing up the ball up court.. quit saying "HERE COMES THE SPURS!!"

hey even if im all the way here n the philippines.. im getting tired of that. i agree the announcer is ok but he really has to go.

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2007, 02:03 PM
3. The Luby's toy scramble is an incredibly cruel game if you think about it. The Coyote is sitting there throwing every toy he can get his hands on to the kids corner and the remaining toys all go to the Christus Rosa Children Hospital. It's a good ploy for a tie in to marketing, but leave it just to the kids. Or maybe keep it, what the hell do I know... LJ and I seem to be the only ones that notice.

<slightly off topic but I wanted to throw that in>

You're not alone. I've had very much the same thought. It seems a shame that the kids at the hospital only get what the kids who got to go to the game didn't take. And as much as Stan might tell the kids to take the bike, I think it's interesting to imagine the rationale of the kids playing the game, who I always imagine are thinking "I already have a bike and I don't need another one." There's some sort of egalitarianism that at least some kids tend to show in those situations.

ducks
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
a car dealership or a t-shirt company would make millions if they bought t-shirts one night
once they bought them for them
they would only have to hand out new ones to people who did not go to the game they handed them out

if I am a t-shirt company and someone wants thousands of shirts I make a hell of a deal for them

themvp
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
For the intro music instead of "Ya'll Ready For This" there should be AC/DC - The Razors Edge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq9OWIA9UK4) or Nightwish - Planet Hell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WPtVAAxUE)

What do you think?

ducks
05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Ya'll Ready For This"

is in alot of basketball games
not just spurs

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I think the one problem with replacing "Ya'll Ready for This" is similar to the problem of giving Manu jersey #6 when he came to San Antonio.

Spurs fans are rabid about certain things, and I think, by and large, that Spurs fans have a number of superstitions. I can remember that before one game -- in 1999, I think -- in a First Round series against Minnesota, the Spurs actually used a new intro song. They lost that game. I can only imagine how many phone calls they got from distressed fans who blamed the loss on the changed song. And, lo and behold, at the next home game, "Ya'll Ready for This?" was back and hasn't left since.

When Spurs fans feel passionately about something, they let the front office know and the front office usually responds -- except to my annual rant for out-of-town scoreboards in the arena and more statistical information.

Had they picked a badass song long ago (they've used it forever, but there's still something about the Bulls intro, "Sirius," that makes it a great intro tune) I don't think the problem would be as pronounced. But "Ya'll Ready for This" reminds me of a pink and turquoise floor and a Fast Breakin' Fiesta. I think it is time to move on.

phyzik
05-12-2007, 02:27 PM
how about setting aside the "ring of roudies" section, cant buy tickets for it, and a desginated person/people go to each section and pick out the loudest people/group from that section. Dont announce anything, just do it randomly throughout the game.

People eventually catch on to this and want to be upgraded for free, thus more people cheer hoping to be picked.

SAtown
05-12-2007, 02:33 PM
how about setting aside the "ring of roudies" section, cant buy tickets for it, and a desginated person/people go to each section and pick out the loudest people/group from that section. Dont announce anything, just do it randomly throughout the game.

People eventually catch on to this and want to be upgraded for free, thus more people cheer hoping to be picked.

People shouldn't be rewarded for cheering at the games.

Phenomanul
05-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Among some of the other serious suggestions....

1) Have a sound engineer come in to fix the accoustics of the arena. I want the place loud with cheers, and with the yelling that comes along after a made basket, but I don't want to be blasted out by the 130 decible music that is currently being used as a substitute for 'loudness'.

2) Have someone develop original cheers for the Spurs. Maybe some personalized ones for key Spurs players.

3) We need a traditional wave at the start of every fourth quarter coupled with better sound effects.

4) Someone seriously needs to show fans sitting behind the free-throw line that the only effective free-throw distraction method is a syncronized swaying. The cheerleaders or the Coyote need to take accountability for this one - especially in critical late game situations.

5) We need more international flavor to some of our sound bites. Especially considering that we have several international players who could be motivated by such considerations to their heritage.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 03:00 PM
"Earth People" by Doctor Octagon would be the absolute best intro theme for the Spurs, I swear we'd go undefeated at home if we had it. Download it and you'll see what I mean. We'll only hear the first minute or so of the track but with some good bass speakers it would sound amazing.

DubMcDub
05-12-2007, 03:03 PM
4) Someone seriously needs to show fans sitting behind the free-throw line that the only effective free-throw distraction method is a syncronized swaying. The cheerleaders or the Coyote need to take accountability for this one - especially in critical late game situations.

That's a pretty fuckin Aggy idea. Maybe they could get Dennis Franchione in there to teach everyone how to do it.

kris
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Kris, your Mouse imitation is getting old, and frankly pales next to the original.

One, I don't try to imitate Mouse.

2, it's pretty senseless to complain about it when you can just block me.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 04:01 PM
That's a pretty fuckin Aggy idea. Maybe they could get Dennis Franchione in there to teach everyone how to do it.

:lmao RACK!!!!

spurschick
05-12-2007, 04:27 PM
1. Pay for the rights to some new music. This has been said, but can't be said enough. There are only about 4 songs I'd keep (I can't explain them by typing, but you get the idea).

They pay ASCAP a fee every year, so they can use any song they want in-game. Some of you may notice that the only fresh music you hear is when the guys come out of the tunnel. That seems to rotate more frequently.

These are all great ideas and feedback, everyone!

midgetonadonkey
05-12-2007, 04:29 PM
How about a night where they give everybody free air-horns. That would make the arena the loudest in the NBA.

spurschick
05-12-2007, 04:30 PM
How about a night where they give everybody free air-horns. That would make the arena the loudest in the NBA.

As long as they passed out earplugs at the same time. :lol

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2007, 04:36 PM
No wonder why no one likes the Spurs....

Kelly blows, the music they play is for flamers, and they don't give out black T's.

I think the whole uniform color t-shirts would look especially good in AT&T if they used black, that would set it apart from all the others. It would be sick.

SAtown
05-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Last year they gave out these little "clickers" that made it sound like the arena was full of crickets. WTF

T Park
05-12-2007, 04:39 PM
damn exstatic is becoming a cranky old fart.

kris
05-12-2007, 04:42 PM
They pay ASCAP a fee every year, so they can use any song they want in-game. Some of you may notice that the only fresh music you hear is when the guys come out of the tunnel. That seems to rotate more frequently.

These are all great ideas and feedback, everyone!

Well then I'd suggest different fresh music.

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
My suggestion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1EW5z1wdc

the Spurs could take some notes from the Virginia Tech Hokies

Phenomanul
05-12-2007, 05:08 PM

You may not like it... but you can't argue with results. Steve Kerr once even wrote about why this ploy wasn't used more in NBA arenas.

You are of course a Mavs fan, what would you know. :fro

bigfundamental21
05-12-2007, 05:36 PM
We definitely need more Metallica! The main problem is that the people who can afford the lower level tix are not all true Spurs fans. Prices are too high in the lower level. Also, there needs to be traditions... Standing up for the entire 4th quarter. I like idea of special cheers for specific players. We need it to be like unbelievably rabid at the ATT especially for the playoffs. The Baseline Bums should do more like they used to at the Hemisphere... maybe they need to move them closer to the court. We need to see more faces painted and black-outs! We need to see non-stop noise. No one fears the ATT because we do not put the fear in the other teams. It is time for our fans to step up!

Shelly
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I say the fans should start throwing batteries, etc. at the opposing players...:nerd

That'll show them that we're hardcore.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
damn exstatic is becoming a cranky old fart.
becoming? :spin

Kori Ellis
05-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Fans standing up until the Spurs score their first basket.
Fans standing up the last two minutes of each quarter.
Handout black t-shirts at the door during the playoffs.
Concession stands accepting credit/debit cards.
Move the towel holders in the bathroom to be close to the sink instead of around the corner (yes, I realize they forgot to put them in at first and added them at the last minute)
Better giveaways during the game - i.e. freethrow contest to win a pair of floor seats to the next game, drop balloons or envelopes from the ceiling after the game and have one of them contain a pair of floor seats to the next game, no more toy scramble
Big Kev take over Stan Kelly's job
Have someone who is rowdy and wild do Big Kev's job - Big Kev is obviously just trying to get a PA/Broadcasting job and plays up his voice too much
Move the Baseline Bums lower or institute rowdy rows as you described - try to get younger people interested in joining the bums
Any of those lower level seats that are always "set aside" need to be released right before the game to whoever wants to buy them
Handout numbered tickets at the door, pull 25 numbers during the game, those 25 people can come get an autograph and shake the hand of a designated player after each game

Kori Ellis
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Oh and as for the music ... I don't really care about it :lol I've been to dozens of arenas and they all have lame music. Several NBA teams use Y'all Ready for This?

timvp
05-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Regarding t-shirts, I've seen some people post that all the Spurs have to do is get someone to sponsor the t-shirts and then they'll magically appear. I don't believe that is the case because I read somewhere the Chris Cohan (owner of the Warriors) has to pay out of pocket for each t-shirt night. And if you can't find a sponsor in Oakland/San Fran, you aren't going to find a sponsor in San Antonio.

Which means Holt would have to shell out some money to make it happen.

timvp
05-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Which means Holt would have to shell out some money to make it happen.

:lmao

easjer
05-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I really Kori's ideas, as well as Phyzik's idea about reserving the 'ring of rowdies' for the fans showing the most spirit/cheering the loudest.

I would endorse those.

As for prizes, because I've not seen what is being offered, I might throw out these ideas - at the first game of the season, do a raffle or contest for 2 free season tickets on the lower level. Same thing for season tix on the last game of the regular season.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Last night when the Spurs were about to win, they played Halftime (stand up and get crunk) by the Ying Yang Twins. They did something right, the beginning of the song is a perfect theme for that moment.

angel_luv
05-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Hire me as an assistant to the marketing director- don't want to give away all my ideas for free. :)

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Last night when the Spurs were about to win, they played Halftime (stand up and get crunk) by the Ying Yang Twins. They did something right, the beginning of the song is a perfect theme for that moment.

They play that at tip-off & the last few seconds of every (home) game the Spurs are about to win. I like that choice of song, too. :)

Dingle Barry
05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
You really think the rich assholes who wear LIME GREEN to games are going to put on a baggy black shirt?

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, Eva wore black ... so I guess she's not an asshole. :lol

I still don't get why people won't cooperate with a black-out. I can't imagine ANYONE that doesn't have one stitch of black clothing. And you can get a cheap black Spurs tshirt at HEB or Academy for like $10.

*shrugs*

velik_m
05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
4 words: Official Spurs Fan Club.

Seriously, when it comes to organized cheering you guys are at least 20 years behind Europe. Jumbotron? Come on. Real fans don't need cue cards.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
They play that at tip-off & the last few seconds of every (home) game the Spurs are about to win. I like that choice of song, too. :)I didn't know they play it at tip-off, but I have noticed it at the end of other games when the Spurs are moments away from victory. It felt especially nice and relieving to hear the song last night.:clap

spurschick
05-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Hire me as an assistant to the marketing director- don't want to give away all my ideas for free. :)

Get in line.

spurschick
05-13-2007, 05:24 PM
You really think the rich assholes who wear LIME GREEN to games are going to put on a baggy black shirt?

No shit! I had the same thought as I was watching people come in to the arena. Who in the hell wears lime green to a fucking Spurs playoff game? I can understand those people in corporate-wear who come directly from work during a weekday, but on a Saturday?! Black, silver or white... get a clue.

SequSpur
05-13-2007, 05:25 PM
i can just see beno and rasho lovers marketing the spurs... we would go back to the gay logo.

T Park
05-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I read somewhere the Chris Cohan (owner of the Warriors) has to pay out of pocket for each t-shirt night

shocking...

The team that has missed the playoffs for 14 straight years has to do it that way.

I just love people "Just have holt pay the money"

Id love if you people owned a business, had people come up to you and said bullshit like this.

JUST SPEND THE MONEY CHEAPSKATE

fuckers paying Beno Udrih a million bucks to be a gatorade disher.

That would make me a cheapskate automatically right there.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
shocking...

The team that has missed the playoffs for 14 straight years has to do it that way.

I just love people "Just have holt pay the money"

Id love if you people owned a business, had people come up to you and said bullshit like this.

JUST SPEND THE MONEY CHEAPSKATE

fuckers paying Beno Udrih a million bucks to be a gatorade disher.

That would make me a cheapskate automatically right there.
Why don't you pay for the shirts, I'm sure you could.

spurschick
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I can't believe that the owner for the Warriors dishes out the $$ for the shirts - they've got a big Comcast logo on them.

As for sponsors, most times they decide what kind of item they want to sponsor. If they want to do thundersticks, that's what gets done.

SequSpur
05-13-2007, 05:30 PM
They should just do a promotion called wear black get a free ticket to a shitty hockey game.

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I didn't know they play it at tip-off, but I have noticed it at the end of other games when the Spurs are moments away from victory. It felt especially nice and relieving to hear the song last night.:clap

Here we come to get you (you better get crunk)
Here we come to get you (a little bit more crunk)
Here we come to get you (you better get crunk)
Here we come to get you (a little bit more crunk)

They play that part when they are walking up to tip-off. I think they started that last year ... I think it's great. :tu

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 05:40 PM
They should just do a promotion called wear black get a free ticket to a shitty hockey game.

The hockey games are actually pretty fun. :lol

ploto
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Glad someone else mentioned it-- how strange to expect people on an internet forum to do someone's job because the Spurs can't come up with any marketing ideas of their own.

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would actually ask the people who go to the games what they would like. That's why I never responded to any of the feedback cards/emails I got as a season ticket holder...they should be able to read my mind. :spin

spurschick
05-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Glad someone else mentioned it-- how strange to expect people on an internet forum to do someone's job because the Spurs can't come up with any marketing ideas of their own.

They do just fine, thanks.

ploto
05-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would actually ask the people who go to the games what they would like. That's why I never responded to any of the feedback cards/emails I got as a season ticket holder...they should be able to read my mind. :spin
What does it matter-- the Spurs will simply lie and say the season ticket holders want the games earlier when it has since been shown by more than one member of the media that this was not true at all.

And this thread is simply someone looking for ideas to pass off as her own.

spurschick
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
And this thread is simply someone looking for ideas to pass off as her own.

You don't know what you're talking about. If you have nothing positive to contribute, get out of the thread.

ploto
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
They do just fine, thanks.
I would say the responses in this thread prove otherwise.

I love my Spurs, but the marketing team has sucked many years now.

spurschick
05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I realize you have nothing better to do now that Toronto is out of the playoffs, but it's clear from this thread and the "manu sighting" thread that you're looking for a fight.

ploto
05-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Just speaking the truth-- sorry if some people can't handle it. Many before me in this thread expressed exactly what I have. Somehow they didn't ruffle your feathers...

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Why does this chick even go to Spur games anymore?

spurschick
05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Just speaking the truth-- sorry if some people can't handle it. Many before me in this thread expressed exactly what I have. Somehow they didn't ruffle your feathers...

And ruffling feathers really is your goal, isn't it? My only beef with you is the cancer you bring to every thread.

People have expressed what they don't like... hence the sole purpose of this thread - for people to bring positive and realistic suggestions for how to make things better. You are clearly bitter and will take every opportunity you can to pick fights with people here.

Despot
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I would almost bet that the Spurs marketing team had a meeting after that article was released yesterday.

I have to say that most of the people that are calling out the Spurs Marketing department are off base, sort of. The lower level fan base seems to be a mix of corporate, family, and casual fan. Most of them act like they are watching a movie. The marketing dept. seems to be catering to the fan base that exists, in that respect, they have done a good job. It is a family atmosphere. It is what it is.

In order to have a better experience and rowdy crowd, I think the culture of the lower level crowd needs to be tweaked. I don't buy that just because some of the fans in the lower level are more well off that they are somehow not real fans. I just think they are more reserved, and not as likely to be the only one in their section to jump up and scream, but are willing to if most of the fans around them get wild. So the answer it seems is to pull that group out of their shell.

Some things should change, music, events to make things a little more relevent to the times, and they should change. The losing days may be sooner rather than later, and some of those lower level fans that they are catering to may not be around much longer leaving those seats open to a different crowd. Change can be bad though, and that may be the reason things have been the same for so long.

One thing though, I don't have the oppurtunity to go to many games, but have gone since the hemisfair days, not too much seems to change. While I go to see the game, I do feel a little cheated by seeing the same presentation over and over.

angel_luv
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I would like to see this idea instituted. It would be fun!

I think it would be neat to have international theme nights, say once a month, that highlight the home country of each of our international guys.

They could maybe have someone sing their national anthemn in addition to ours, like they do in Canada and have time out entertainment/ games and or give away related to that country.
I haven't worked out all the details yet- just some preliminary thoughts.

I would definitely want to institute the t-shirt idea for play offs.

That is all I can tell you off the top of my head. I am at my other job and tired.
But I am certain I could come up with some neat events, especially with a team to help. :)

T Park
05-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Ploto.

Go crawl in a hole and don't come out till Toronto does something like win a playoff series.

See you in 50 years.