PDA

View Full Version : Homerun Milestone Thread

dallaskd
05-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Bonds needs 11 more to pass Aaron. Sosa needs 4 to get 600.

TheTruth
05-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Steroid using douchebags forum.

Mike Tirico
05-12-2007, 05:24 PM
http://michigangolfer.tv/2004shows/pics/tirico_sm.jpg

dallaskd
05-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Sosa homers tonight...

dallaskd
05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Sosa homers tonight! also....Craig Biggio is closing in on 3000 hits.

mikejones99
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Barry Bonds home run ball will be worth about $3 million if he ever gets there. Should be in July. Leading the league in walks too.

Extra Stout
05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Bonds closing in on 756 syringe scars.

exstatic
05-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Bonds closing in on 756 syringe scars.
:p:

dallaskd
05-28-2007, 10:02 PM
people are already putting up millions for a ball that hasnt even been hit yet.

dallaskd
06-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Sosa has 599!

dallaskd
06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
...and Sosa hits #600!

Bill O'Reilly
06-20-2007, 11:22 PM
I was at the game, I will post the pics later tonight.

dallaskd
06-20-2007, 11:23 PM

sweet

dallaskd
06-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Big Question: Is Sosa a hall of famer?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I just saw the broadcast of Sammy's shot.

I loved the next AB.

"How'd you like to be Frank Catalanatto following up all that?"

Catalanatto then goes yard.

K-State Spur
06-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I admit it, I didn't think Sosa would hit 12 HRs all year.

That said, his .750 OPS is still below average for an OF or a DH and that 68/18 K/BB ration is just scary.

Bill O'Reilly
06-21-2007, 12:35 AM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6615/sosa600ticketkr1.jpg

Sosa hit into fielders choice, safe at first on error by Fontenot.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6199/soutct5.jpg

Soriano Taking Kameron Loe Deep

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/633/sorianogoesdeeponloeus8.jpg

Kinsler pretending he knows how to play 2nd base.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8561/kinslermj5.jpg

Sammy about to jack #600

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7294/sammysosa600xl9.jpg

Congrats on #600 Sammy

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4844/sammysosa600bannercp4.jpg

Holmes_Fans
06-21-2007, 12:41 AM
I was there to, the first ranger game I have been to all year, and I didn't even know it was gonna possible happen lol. I sat in 328, perfect view. I wish the ball would of gone into the stands.

I heard they were using specially marked balls whenever he came up to bat, they had a yellow number or something on them so you couldn't fake it if you caught it.

Did you get one of those 600 posters? I wish it would of had a place for the ticket or something. I went down during the 7/8 inning and was able to get 7 of them(had 7 tickets). Man some people I saw were pissed because they didn't get one.

dallaskd
06-21-2007, 05:03 PM
looks like you sat in the home run porch. nice. kam-loe was great last night.

K-State Spur
06-21-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't want to tear into Sammy's career (I do believe he is a hall-of-famer), but looking at the 600 HR club, I do get a strong feeling of "one of these names is not like the others"...

dallaskd
06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't want to tear into Sammy's career (I do believe he is a hall-of-famer), but looking at the 600 HR club, I do get a strong feeling of "one of these names is not like the others"...

you wouldnt have said that in 2002

K-State Spur
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
you wouldnt have said that in 2002

Not really.

Career OPS:

Aaron - .929
Bonds - 1.052
Mays - .941
Ruth - 1.164

Sosa - .879

Sammy has posted a .900+ OPS only 6 times in his entire career. Aaron did that 17 times, Mays did it 14, Ruth did it 17, and Bonds is doing it for the 18th time this year.

Sammy had a monster 4 year run along with 2 more great seasons. He also had a number of good, but not great, seasons where he was putting up solid HR numbers, but not being one of the best players in the game. He was never as consistently good for such an extended period as the other 4 players.

This is not necessarily a huge knock on sammy, he's still a HOFer in my opinion. But the other guys are easily 4 of the top 10 players of all time (depending on how you feel about bonds and steroids).

I don't think you can put Sammy in the top 25 (maybe much lower). He's got huge HR totals (in an era in which HRs have exploded for all players), but would anybody in their right mind put him among guys like Mantle or Frank Robinson or Ted Williams who hit less HRs?

dallaskd
06-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Sammy Sosa is a Hall of Famer. There is no definitive proof about his alleged steroid involvement, so in the absence of hard evidence, his numbers are what we go by, and they are of Cooperstown quality. He has the fifth-most home runs in baseball history. From 1995 to 2004, Sosa hit 479 homers, the most at that time for any 10-year period in history. He holds the NL record with six consecutive seasons of at least 40 home runs; only Babe Ruth, with seven, has a longer streak. There have been eight 60-home run seasons in history, and Sosa has three of them. Sosa hit more homers at Wrigley Field than Babe Ruth hit at Yankee Stadium. For a few years, he was the Cubs. In 2001, he had 160 RBIs, 94 more RBIs than anyone on his team, demolishing the record for largest disparity in RBIs between a team leader and the runner-up. He got caught with a corked bat and was exposed at the end of his time in Chicago for not being a good teammate. But sometimes, the numbers overwhelm all else. And that is the case with Sosa.

Sammy Sosa is a Hall of Famer. Slam dunk. There is no smoking gun with him. There is just guilt by association. Just because he kept pace with Mark McGwire in home runs in 1998 doesn't mean he should be seen the same way as McGwire. Sosa made a statement in front of the House Committee on Government Reform in which he declared he had never used illegal performance-enhancing substances while McGwire did not. There are no former teammates pointing fingers at Sosa like there are at McGwire. He has never failed a drug test. In fact, consider that Sosa did get busted for corking a bat during his playing days. Why would a player on steroids cork his bat? He wouldn't. Sammy Sosa is one of the most charismatic players to ever play the game during his prime. He will most likely end up with the fifth-most career homers. He is a first-ballot Hall of Famer if there ever was one.

Only four players in baseball history have hit more home runs than Sammy Sosa, and he will finish his career ranked in the top 20 in RBIs. Of the six greatest single-season performances in home runs, Sosa has three. He's been an All-Star seven times, and ranked in the top 10 in MVP voting in seven different seasons, including 1998, when he won the award. Unless we have anything close to a full understanding and context of the steroid era, I have a very hard time effectively giving Sammy Sosa -- or any other player -- my own personal lifetime ban by refusing to place his name on a Hall of Fame ballot. I will vote for him.

dallaskd
06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
After the strike baseball was dead, Sosa and McGwire brought people back and filled seats. Sosa helped save baseball forever.

K-State Spur
06-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Too much has been made of that. A few years earlier, Ripken was credited with saving the game. Fans had been coming back in large totals before the HR chase.

As for your quotes, I've agreed in every post that he is a hall-of-famer, so not sure what you're trying to convince me. He's also compiled some huge numbers in select categories and put together one of the monster 4 year runs that the game has ever seen. There is no disputing that.

But he's not one of the best handful of players of all-time, that's all I'm saying. The other guys in the 600 club are.

If guys like Thome and Sheffield challenge that number in the next 3-4 years, are you going to put them in the same class as Aaron, Mays, and Ruth as well? Hell, Palmeiro hit 569 HRs and I don't think anybody had him as a top 75 players of all-time, even before the positive steroid test.

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Sammy just went yard in his first game back.

Bear Grylls
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
This inning has gotten VERY VERY ugly for the Astros.

So far 44 pitches and 1 out for the Astros in the 5th

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
5 homers, 8 runs for the rangers in the 5th.

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 09:53 PM
**3 Homers**

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Biggio will probably hit 3000 hits this series.

Bear Grylls
06-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Biggio will probably hit 3000 hits this series.

I doubt it

CubanMustGo
06-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I got something for Bonds and the record book:

http://www.actusa.com/images/asterisk.gif

dallaskd
06-22-2007, 10:28 PM
thats not nice*

CubanMustGo
06-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, people are so magnanimous in giving them to the Spurs that the least I can do is share! :downspin:

Bear Grylls
06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
I got something for Bonds and the record book:

http://www.actusa.com/images/asterisk.gif

Bonds is not the first or last guy to cheat in the game of baseball. Cheating has been around since the beginning of the game and will go on long after we are gone.

There is not an * by the 1970 Pirates NL East champs banner (when that team was using cocaine before their games)

Mays and Aaron both used amphetamines for energy when they were playing.

Ty Cobb used to sharpen his cleats, so that when he slid into the bag he would try to injure the opposing team.

Gaylord Perry used a spitball his entire career, even admitted to using Vasoline.

When I see an * next to Perry, Cobb, Aaron, Mays, even Ruth, then I will have no problem with an * next to Bonds name.

Logan
06-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Let the countdown begin!!

Bonds Belts 749th Homer in Loss to Yankees
Giants Slugger Six Away From Tying Aaron's Record

AP
Posted: 2007-06-23 01:45:17
SAN FRANCISCO (June 22) - Barry Bonds got the home run. Alex Rodriguez helped the New York Yankees earn the win.

In a matchup of two of baseball's most feared sluggers, Bonds' 749th career home run wasn't enough to overcome four hits and two RBIs for Rodriguez as the Yankees beat the Giants 7-3 Friday night in their first meaningful game in San Francisco since winning Game 7 of the 1962 World Series.

Bonds connected for his 15th home run of the season in the eighth inning off Scott Proctor, cutting New York's lead to 6-3. But the Giants couldn't get any closer, dropping their season-high eighth straight game.

The talk before the game was of the two sluggers: Bonds as he closes in on Hank Aaron's career record of 755 home runs and Rodriguez, the player many consider the biggest threat to hold the record after Bonds.

"I'm not worried about that," said Rodriguez, who has 491 career homers. "I'm concerned about winning a game tonight. It's hard to think about individual things when you desperately want to win. The other thing is I got to this point by not thinking about myself and thinking about the team. This is Barry's time, not my time."

Rodriguez helped the Yankees get the much-needed win after they were swept in a three-game series in Colorado. His double started a three-run second inning and he also hit RBI singles in the fifth and ninth innings.

Kei Igawa, making his first start after seven weeks in the minors, was sharp early but was removed one out away from a potential win after walking Bonds with the bases loaded to cut New York's lead to 5-2 in the fifth inning. Luis Vizcaino (4-1) came in and Bengie Molina hit a drive to left field that Hideki Matsui caught as he jumped into the fence, robbing the Giants of an extra-base hit.

This game lacked the drama of the teams' last meeting in San Francisco that counted. The Yankees won that game against their former New York rival 1-0 when Willie McCovey lined out to second baseman Bobby Richardson with runners on second and third to end the game.

The Giants did threaten after Bonds' homer, putting two runners on in the eighth before Mariano Rivera escaped the jam by getting pinch-hitter Ryan Klesko to ground out. Rivera got five outs for his ninth save in 11 chances.

After being held to five runs in Colorado, the Yankees scored three times in the second against Matt Cain (2-8) with help from an overeager fan down the right-field line.

Rodriguez led off with a double and scored on Matsui's sacrifice fly. Cain appeared to get out of the inning when Miguel Cairo lofted a fly ball in foul territory with two outs. Randy Winn had a chance to make the catch, but a fan went after the ball. There was no interference because the ball was in the seats, but the fan buried his head in his hands.

Cain walked the next two batters to load the bases - including Igawa in his first career plate appearance - before Melky Cabrera's two-run single made it 3-0. That was New York's second hit in its last 20 at-bats with runners in scoring position. New York added two more runs in the fifth on an RBI double by Bobby Abreu and Rodriguez's run-scoring single.

Igawa allowed two runs and five hits in 4 2/3 innings after spending the previous seven weeks retooling his delivery in the minors. Igawa had been a big disappointment in his first stint in the majors after the Yankees spent $46 million to bring him over from Japan in the offseason.

But he looked much better this game, holding the Giants scoreless the first four innings, including striking out Bonds in the fourth.

Cain allowed five runs and seven hits in five innings and dropped to 0-5 in his last seven starts. Cain walked four and had no strikeouts for the first time in 53 career starts.

Tippecanoe
06-23-2007, 03:48 PM
frank thomas belts his 498th

Tippecanoe
06-24-2007, 02:06 PM
frank thomas belts 499th HR

one more to 500

resistanze
06-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Ken Griffey Jr belts HRs #583 and 584 to pass McGwire.

Damn, imagine if he hadn't missed like 2 seasons worth of games in the past 7 or so years.