PDA

View Full Version : Game 3 Keys To Victory

timvp
05-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Spurs fans can try to play down the importance of this game, but I think Game 3 is a must win game. The Spurs can't afford a loss here. Going down 2-1 against the Suns would give them a huge advantage in the series ... not to mention that a Tim Duncan team has never recovered after being in such a hole.

Here are the timvp keys to victory rated in order of most important:

1) Defensively matchup properly. Bowen on Nash makes no sense. I respect Bowen's defensive abilities as much as anyone but he's not built to guard Nash. Parker has defended Nash well in the past and should be given the job.

It also helps because you can then put Bowen and Finley/Manu on Marion and Bell ... and those are very good matchups for the Spurs. Bell scored 18 last game but with Bowen on him, he'd struggle to score at all.

If the Spurs defensive strategy is to let Nash score but keep everyone else in check, it makes no sense to waste your team's best defender on Nash. If in the fourth quarter Pop wants to mix it up and put Bowen on Nash, I can live with that. But not for the whole game.

Keeping Bowen on Nash would be akin to the mistake last year when Pop kept Bowen on Dirk. And we all saw how that one ended up. Bowen is a great defender -- but not great enough that he can guard point guards and power forwards. Like I've said, you don't see D'Antoni putting Bell on Duncan or Parker. Keep Bowen on a swingman and let the Spurs point guards defend Nash.

2) Get out and run. The Suns halfcourt defense is much improved and is actually pretty damn good. But they aren't a great transition defensive team.

The Spurs can get some good opportunities if they can get out on the fast break. It'll help get Tony and Manu involved and get the team some easy baskets. Running will also free up some transition three-pointers.

Run after defensive rebounds, turnovers and even made baskets. It might sound odd, but you have to push the tempo back at the Suns. Pop's Spurs over the last eight or so seasons are probably the best transition defensive teams of all-time. The Spurs need to use that to their advantage on the other end of the court.

3) Get Manu going. Although it hurts the team as a whole, I'd be willing to start Manu at this point. The Spurs have a higher ceiling of greatness with Manu coming off the bench, but the Spurs aren't going to win this series if Manu is producing like the Argentine Boris Diaw.

Running will help Manu but he's going to have to knock down a couple three-pointers to get his confidence going and keep the defense honest. But even if his shot is off, Manu has to drive the lane and get to the line. I'd rather him finish 3-for-15 than 3-for-9 if it means a more aggressive and basket-attacking version of Manu.

4) Short leash for Elson, Vaughn and Barry. If these three guys aren't producing, Pop just needs to yank them. The more Horry, the better. If Manu has to play backup point, so be it. If Bowen and Finley have to play 48 minutes because Barry is sucking, then it's time to play 48 minutes.

Charity minutes and waiting for guys to produce is over. It's winning time.

5) Don't give the Suns transition baskets or three-pointers. The Spurs are very good at stopping the fast break ... so it's no time to slip up. Additionally, everyone (that means you Barry and Manu) has to keep with the gameplan and not leave a three-point shooter to come and help.

You want the Suns to beat you playing in a halfcourt setting with no open looks from deep. If Nash and Stoudemire score 40 apiece in such a setting and lose, you lose. But forcing them to do that is the lesser of all evils.

Get this damn game.

Believe.

http://spurstalk.com/popsean.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/spurs/elliott_trophy_200w.jpg

T Park
05-12-2007, 05:10 PM
3) Get Manu going. Although it hurts the team as a whole, I'd be willing to start Manu at this point. The Spurs have a higher ceiling of greatness with Manu coming off the bench, but the Spurs aren't going to win this series if Manu is producing like the Argentine Boris Diaw.

This IMO, is the big one.

atxrocker
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Make sure Bowen finishes the job and takes Amare of another key piece of the Suns out and your chances grow tremendously.

exstatic
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
1) Re

2) bound

timvp
05-12-2007, 05:57 PM
This IMO, is the big one.

Best case scenario is Manu comes off the bench and explodes. But it's getting to the point that best case scenarios aren't as important as getting the job done by any means necessary.

polandprzem
05-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Spurs needs somebody to take off
either Barry, Oberto or Elson

And if starting Manu is huge?

Don't think so, but Pop can closely look at the matchup and not let Manu be the only go to guy in the lineup.

How Thomas will handle Duncan will be a key and how Tim can make him pay (fouls).

Stopping Nash. I wonder if Bruce have got some adjustments or Pop decided to put TP on him.

Amare Stoudcrier
05-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Make sure Bowen finishes the job and takes Amare of another key piece of the Suns out and your chances grow tremendously.

Oh no, please don't send that mean ol' Bruce Bowen after me!!! He won't let me do any pushups!!! :cry :cry :cry

GrandeDavid
05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
The key is for the Spurs to reveal themselves as better than the Suns...or not. Hear me out. Every player needs to bring it, concentrate, protect the ball, take the shot when open, i.e. bust their ass and play within the confine of the coach's gameplan. If that is not enough and Phoenix wins, then "ouch". Credit to Phoenix.

The things I absolutely do not want to see are getting equaled or, heaven forbid, beaten on the glass, and for goodness sake, keep the first half turnovers low. The Spurs have been slippery with their handles and nervous with their releases in the first halves of the last two games. Let's go out there and dominate the tempo and protect the rock. If shots don't go down, so be it.

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Fuckin play hard.

All there is to it.

Manu, step the fuck up.

GrandeDavid
05-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Fuckin play hard.

All there is to it.

Manu, step the fuck up.

Hellmuthufugginyeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducks
05-12-2007, 06:53 PM
big 4 score 90

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM
big 4 score 90That'd be awesome.

I think 70 is more realistic though. I wonder what's the most combined points Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker have scored in a game...

phxspurfan
05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
4) Short leash for Elson, Vaughn and Barry. If these three guys aren't producing, Pop just needs to yank them. The more Horry, the better. If Manu has to play backup point, so be it. If Bowen and Finley have to play 48 minutes because Barry is sucking, then it's time to play 48 minutes.

iDios mio! Yes. Why are we the only playoff team in the league to insist on not playing a real playoff-quality lineup? This is no time for scrub ball (unless we are up 30), and the people who suck need to GTFO. Play 6-7, maybe 8 guys and we will win every game we play.

i.e. Starting Lineup should be:

Duncan
Horry
Bowen
Ginobili
Parker

...and subs should be:
Oberto
Finley
(maybe) Barry

nubs below this line should never see the court unless we are up 30:
==================================
Vaughn
Udrih
Elson
White
Bonner

ducks
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
That'd be awesome.

I think 70 is more realistic though. I wonder what's the most combined points Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker have scored in a game...
4 players 80 might be more realistic
70 is ok for the big 3 not big 4

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I was referring to the Big 3.

And I was off by 3.

They combined for 73 tonight.

ducks
05-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Yep
Big Fourth 83

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Finley said there is no Big 4, he's just a passenger.

polandprzem
05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Spurs needs somebody to take off
either Barry, Oberto or Elson

And if starting Manu is huge?

Don't think so, but Pop can closely look at the matchup and not let Manu be the only go to guy in the lineup.

How Thomas will handle Duncan will be a key and how Tim can make him pay (fouls).

Stopping Nash. I wonder if Bruce have got some adjustments or Pop decided to put TP on him.

Barry Oberto Elson

Manu - bench :tu

Thomas foul trouble

Bruce D

Slippy
05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
It just seemed Manu was showing more patience when to attack the basket, picking his spots and reading what the defense was giving him. Something Parker is very good at and tonight, Manu followed suit.

timvp
05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
1) Defensively matchup properly.

Great job by the coaching staff in making the adjustment. Bowen on Nash all game wasn't working. Parker stepped up and bought a lot of time on Nash and did so in spectacular fashion.

2) Get out and run.

Another thumbs up. The Spurs broke it open in the second half by getting some transition looks.

3) Get Manu going.

Done.

He started off a little slow, missed a couple easy shots ... but kept attacking. When he's attacking the rim relentlessly, he's one of the best offensive weapons in the league.

4) Short leash for Elson, Vaughn and Barry.

Elson and Vaughn felt the wrath of the short leash. Barry went into the game and produced right away and Pop let him keep playing.

5) Don't give the Suns transition baskets or three-pointers.

The Spurs only gave up only three three-pointers in the second half and kept them off the break for the most part.

Slippy
05-13-2007, 12:10 AM
and produced right away and Pop let him keep playing.

The Spurs only gave up only three three-pointers in the second half and kept them off the break for the most part.

This is why i don't get Jon Barrys' comments on Bell and has me wondering, does he understand these teams' strengths. He couldn't work out why the Suns didn't to go to Bell when he was 4 from 4 from the 3-point line. It was obvious the Spurs Had to adjust and not leave Bell open again.