PDA

View Full Version : Is Elson done?

Spurs Brazil
05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
He didn't play in the 2nd half after the terrible 2nd quarter

Do you think he will play again in this series?

timvp
05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
He might have re-injured his wrist.

Either way, I don't see much use for him in this series other than bigman depth.

makedamnsure
05-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Oberto's really shown up this series I think. More than Elson.

ploto
05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I thought he was signed SPECIFICALLY to match up with Phoenix and Dallas?

timvp
05-13-2007, 06:56 PM

I thought Rasho was traded to the Eastern Conference so he could actually play in the playoffs.

:stirpot:

GrandeDavid
05-13-2007, 06:57 PM
SpursBrazil, eu acho que Elson deveria pescar agora, porque ele vai fazer porra nenhum mais por nossa time, principalmente contra Phoenix. Entao quando voce observa que ele esta sumido amanha durante o jogo, e porque ele foi para Sao Paulo para passar a noite no Cafe Foto. rs rs

:lol

AnkleBreaker21
05-13-2007, 07:00 PM
more for dallas i think

objective
05-13-2007, 07:17 PM
too bad the Spurs blew their MLE last summer on a total average of 13 mpg, 3.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 0.5 blocks per game, and 0.0 assists

Borosai
05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Elson owns the Pistons. Keep him fresh just in case the Spurs make it to the finals. Oberto is playing better anyway. :bike:

ploto
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I thought Rasho was traded to the Eastern Conference so he could actually play in the playoffs.
It's a shame- I used to respect you. To try to turn a discussion on the suckage of Elson into a Rasho bash is beneath you.

You know full well that Rasho played as many minutes as people expected against a team that was not a good match-up for him. I even said before the series started that he would not play that much. If Nenad was still playing, he would have been out there more, but with no post threat on the offensive end for NJ, Rasho's main skill was not needed. If Toronto had played Miami, Cleveland, Orlando, even Detroit with Webber, Rasho would have played more. On the other hand, Elson was signed specifically to be used against Phoenix and Dallas. It would be like trading for Rasho and not playing him against Shaq and Yao. Even with a bad match-up Rasho played more than Elson has against his good match up in Phoenix.

You are just mad about my predictions coming true. Quicker and quicker Elson (Nazr) being pulled in the third quarter until he is no longer starting the second half. Now will Oberto (Rasho) start Monday night- and when the Spurs lose then what will Pop do?

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Elson is a $3 million NBA big man, just like Rasho was.

GrandeDavid
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Elson is a $3 million NBA big man, just like Rasho was.

I think Rasho's a $6 million big man, isn't he?

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I meant what I wrote..

Warlord23
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
As for non-trivial minutes in the playoffs, hopefully he is done ... he can still be the official victory cigar though

GrandeDavid
05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I meant what I wrote..

Actually, he's a $7 million NBA big man, and next season he's close to 8.

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I understand what I'm saying.

Spurs Brazil
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
SpursBrazil, eu acho que Elson deveria pescar agora, porque ele vai fazer porra nenhum mais por nossa time, principalmente contra Phoenix. Entao quando voce observa que ele esta sumido amanha durante o jogo, e porque ele foi para Sao Paulo para passar a noite no Cafe Foto. rs rs

:lol :lol :lol

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
SpursBrazil, I find that Elson I would have to fish now, because it goes to more make porra no for our teams, mainly against Phoenix. Entao when voce observes that it this disappeared amanha during the game, and because it was for Sao Pablo to pass the night in the Cafe Photo. rs rs

timvp
05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
It's a shame- I used to respect you. To try to turn a discussion on the suckage of Elson into a Rasho bash is beneath you.

First of all, you are the master of turning any thread into a Rasho talking point. It's what you've been doing since Rasho was traded.

Second of all, emoticons usually indicate one is kidding.

You know full well that Rasho played as many minutes as people expected against a team that was not a good match-up for him.

You mean like last year? I guess the Spurs aren't the only to think he doesn't match up with everyone.

And last I checked, Rasho can guard Jason Collins and is usually useful against teams who like to penetrate the ball into the paint.

I even said before the series started that he would not play that much. If Nenad was still playing, he would have been out there more, but with no post threat on the offensive end for NJ, Rasho's main skill was not needed. If Toronto had played Miami, Cleveland, Orlando, even Detroit with Webber, Rasho would have played more.

:lol

Since when did Rasho's strength become post defense? Nazr was always the much better post defender.

Rasho's strength is team defense. He rotates very well and is most useful in cutting off driving lanes for perimeter players. In fact, he's probably a top five center at doing that.

But of course, being the huge Rasho homer that you are, you know that.

On the other hand, Elson was signed specifically to be used against Phoenix and Dallas.

Like I said since the beginning, his signing was a mistake. You don't see me shedding a tear when Pop pulls him out of a game.

It would be like trading for Rasho and not playing him against Shaq and Yao.

No, it'd be like trading for Rasho and then not playing him against a team full of players that attack the rim.

Even with a bad match-up Rasho played more than Elson has against his good match up in Phoenix.

Yeah because Elson sucks.

You are just mad about my predictions coming true.

:lmao

How many times is your "prediction" going to change?

First you said the lineup change would be after just a couple games. And then you said the lineup change would follow the first time Elson is pulled quickly in the third quarter. And all along you "predicted" Horry would get the start when Elson gets benched. Now it's Oberto.

And again, predicting Elson would fail isn't exactly a world changing phenomenon.

Quicker and quicker Elson (Nazr) being pulled in the third quarter until he is no longer starting the second half. Now will Oberto (Rasho) start Monday night- and when the Spurs lose then what will Pop do?

Bitter much?

Bottomline is you condemned the Spurs for benching Rasho last year in the playoffs to that point that you've now turned on the franchise. And Rasho gets traded and the new franchise and the new coach does the same thing. One would think that'd shed some light on the situation for you.

Like I've always said, Rasho is a very, very good regular season center. He can win you games with his rotational defense. But he isn't built for the playoffs ... as his team worst +/- indicated this in the playoffs for the Raptors.

You owe the Spurs an apology.

:smokin

ShoogarBear
05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Boy, just think of where the Spurs could be today if only they had kept Rasho.

BigBeezie
05-13-2007, 08:12 PM
We need to make Elson earn his minutes like everyone else. The guy just hasn't done much for us lately.

AFBlue
05-13-2007, 08:32 PM
No, but he should be. Bring on Butler!

jmard5
05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Give him more time to get used to our defensive rotations. Finley's old but he was able to get comfortable with the Spurs' defensive scheme only just recently.

I would still take my chances with Elson given his agility.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Boy, just think of where the Spurs could be today if only they had kept Rasho.

Over the cap?

smeagol
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
I'd love to hear Spurs Brazil say he wants Oberto to start :lol

GrandeDavid
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
SpursBrazil, I find that Elson I would have to fish now, because it goes to more make porra no for our teams, mainly against Phoenix. Entao when voce observes that it this disappeared amanha during the game, and because it was for Sao Pablo to pass the night in the Cafe Photo. rs rs

Alvarez, those google translations or what have you are awful! :lol

T Park
05-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Elson is a good backup big.

Hes one that can come in against an opposing team's big and do decent.

IMO, next year hes gonna be regulated to 12th man status behind Butler and Mahinmi.

Marcus Bryant
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
You get what you pay for.

anonymous coward
05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
T Park > Elson

T Park
05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Look at the bigman list from last summer, and who the hell would you want?

I mean, other than Ben Wallace, whos better?

Jarron Collins?

Joel Pryzbilla!??!

Puhlease.

alamo50
05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
IMO, next year hes gonna be regulated to 12th man status behind Butler and Mahinmi.

Wow about YO.
Elson will learn and learn and will remain the Spurs starting center for the coming years. Remember when Fabricio was sucking this season? Elson was kicking ass untill his injury.

Of course I am ashamed when he is missing dunks, but he is just not familiar with the responibility yet over here. His perimeter shot is solid and he should use it more. I know Pop wants him to just shoot it, but he just won't do it because he is depending on TD too much (and can you realy blame him for that?).

One championship under his belt and he'll be just fine.
Come talk to me next playoffs.

K-State Spur
05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
do we have any dutch fans on this board? (and i'm not referring to the early 90s movie starring ed o'neill)

ShoogarBear
05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Nahhhh, nobody Dutch here. :p:

YODA
05-13-2007, 11:13 PM
If we get by the Suns,,,elson should be important with a matchup with utah.

Yoda

MannyIsGod
05-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Ploto got owned.

T Park
05-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Elson will learn and learn and will remain the Spurs starting center for the coming years

God I hope not.

ducks
05-13-2007, 11:44 PM
You get what you pay for.
so paying to keep manu and tp were a mistake?

spurs money touble now is mostly because tp,manu and duncan make good
money

not many teams have more three players making good money

ducks
05-13-2007, 11:59 PM
would you trade manu or tp for a big to help duncan?

is a vet big to help duncan worth either one of them?

rasho makes 7-8 million next year
getting a vet big that is going to produce is going to cost more then rasho
a unproven one would be cheaper
spurs drafted one hopefully they can buy time tell he is ready

alamo50
05-14-2007, 12:12 AM
God I hope not.

So, you are turning your back on Elson like the rest of the followers in here?

ChumpDumper
05-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Eh, he might be done for this series, but he has shown more signs of "getting it" lately. Might actually be consistent next season. Worth $3 million to find out I guess, but he can be traded if need be.

slayermin
05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
What are you gonna do? Phoenix went big and that helped minimize Fran's effectiveness.

ducks
05-14-2007, 12:27 AM
elson at 3 million is tradeable
rasho at 8 is hardly tradeable

timvp
05-14-2007, 12:39 AM

Elson can't give up on this season just yet, much less this series. The Spurs are going to need him still. They've invested too much time and effort into him that they aren't going to totally take him out of the equation.

In fact, there's a better than decent chance he still starts tomorrow. Hopefully he can raise his level of play to where he's at least 60% as effective as Nazr was in 2005.

Oberto and Horry have been pretty good in the playoffs thus far, but I don't know if those two are enough. Elson playing decent would be a huge help.

T Park
05-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Elson needs to come out tommarow with a game 5 Nuggets like game.

Great on D, agressive on O.

No more passes through 3 players to Duncan.

ChumpDumper
05-14-2007, 02:53 AM
I posted some interesting rebounding stats when I hijacked another thread.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1667158&postcount=92

Spurs Brazil
05-14-2007, 06:23 AM
I'd love to hear Spurs Brazil say he wants Oberto to start :lol

I won't say that, because I think Oberto needs to play with Manu

But I think Oberto needs (much) more minutes than Elson

thousandth
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
I won't say that, because I think Oberto needs to play with Manu
But I think Oberto needs (much) more minutes than Elson

Yes. Oberto played with passion in this series and last series in Denver.
I like see more of Oberto tonight.
Elson 3 turnovers last game. Ridiculous. No more Elson, please! :nope
Oberto>Elson.

Kobulingam
05-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Elson sucks. I hope they dress Ely in case we need to kick some ass.

TMSKILZ
05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I like Elson, obviously in this OFF he's not looking to shoot or score, but he's sooooooo much better overall than anything we have had @ Center since the great DROB retired. Although Nazr was great in 2005 for us.

GrandeDavid
05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
All I've got to say is I'd better see a monster effort from Elson on the defensive end if Bowen is suspended tonight.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Elson has showed that he can play on occasion. I hope he puts it all together at some point this season. He doesn't have many more chances.

ArgSpursFan
05-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Wow about YO.
Elson will learn and learn and will remain the Spurs starting center for the coming years. Remember when Fabricio was sucking this season? Elson was kicking ass untill his injury.

Of course I am ashamed when he is missing dunks, but he is just not familiar with the responibility yet over here. His perimeter shot is solid and he should use it more. I know Pop wants him to just shoot it, but he just won't do it because he is depending on TD too much (and can you realy blame him for that?).

One championship under his belt and he'll be just fine.

....and looks like he is still not familiar with the NBA rims also.

Jimcs50
05-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Look at the bigman list from last summer, and who the hell would you want?

I mean, other than Ben Wallace, whos better?

Jarron Collins?

Joel Pryzbilla!??!

Puhlease.

Ben Wallace??? That is what we need another offensive inept player in the staring lineup. Chicago is finding out why they got screwed by signing him.

VaSpursFan
05-14-2007, 11:06 AM
elson should be done. i thought his ability to run would help us this series, but he's been horrible. maybe he may give us something against the plodding jazz...but i doubt it.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I was going to ask if Elson ever really got started . . . .

but I'd rather be accurate and ask, wasn't he done at the All-Star Break? Elson has been a man without a seeming clue in just about every important game the Spurs have played since February. He did play well early in Game 4 at Denver, and he deserves credit for that. But I don't know that he has the poise to perform at a high level in high-stakes games. He seems to allow the situation to overtake him, which seems to cause him to struggle with even the most basic things. Oberto isn't perfect, but he's far more poised in these circumstances and sometimes that's enough.

The Truth #6
05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Elson does seem to have very low basketball IQ.

But surprisingly, he's skilled at hitting top of the key jumpers. Maybe we need to get him a few more of those? He doesn't do much well on offense but he can make that shot at least....

ArgSpursFan
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
He really don´t look like a ¨smart guy¨ at all.He has the WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO NOW kind of face when he is on the floor.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 03:35 PM

But surprisingly, he's skilled at hitting top of the key jumpers. Maybe we need to get him a few more of those? He doesn't do much well on offense but he can make that shot at least....
The problem is that for every jumper he makes he turns the ball over, usually badly. His problem is that he's very mentally weak. He should be playing for the Suns.

ArgSpursFan
05-14-2007, 03:40 PM

I thought they brought him to much up better with the suns and Mavs.not to hit some mid range jumpers

dmac
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Elson owns the Pistons. Keep him fresh just in case the Spurs make it to the finals. Oberto is playing better anyway. :bike:
Don't you mean just in case the Pistons make it to the finals. I know we're going!

timvp
05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/elsonshoot.gif

Uh Elson isn't exactly Larry Bird from the perimeter either.

Fabbs
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
We'll definitely need Elson to relieve Duncan.
If the refs screw Duncan, Fabs and 4 smalls vs Stoudamire-Thomas-Diaw is another disaster waiting to happen.

Elson had a couple good games vs Denver.
Also Phx Gm 2 he did alright. Blocked, altered some shots.
a. If you can't dunk, then lay the damn ball in for 2 pts. Take lessons from Duncan.

b. If you are standing a foot outside the FT line with the ball and no Sun defender is within 12 feet, you may proceed closer (forward) to get a higher % shot.
You do not need to fade away.

ArgSpursFan
05-14-2007, 04:02 PM
We'll definitely need Elson to relieve Duncan.
If the refs screw Duncan, Fabs and 4 smalls vs Stoudamire-Thomas-Diaw is another disaster waiting to happen.

Elson had a couple good games vs Denver.
Also Phx Gm 2 he did alright. Blocked, altered some shots.
a. If you can't dunk, then lay the damn ball in for 2 pts. Take lessons from Duncan.

b. If you are standing a foot outside the FT line with the ball and no Sun defender is within 12 feet, you may proceed closer (forward) to get a higher % shot.
You do not need to fade away.

I think its a little too late to learn BB basics for Elson.

Fabbs
05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I think its a little too late to learn BB basics for Elson.
58% from the rim to 2 feet out?
:elephant :lol I guess so!

alamo50
05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
6-13, I take it.

Mr. Body
05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Alonzo Mourning would have been aces last off-season. I wonder if he regrets his 'loyalty'. There's a lot of talk he may retire now, but I'd love nothing more than for him to swing over her for another campaign.

ArgSpursFan
05-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Alonzo Mourning would have been aces last off-season. I wonder if he regrets his 'loyalty'. There's a lot of talk he may retire now, but I'd love nothing more than for him to swing over her for another campaign.
Shit,Alonzo averaging 10 mpg in the playoffs should´ve been money for the spurs.
Mourning on one leg>elson,Butler and even Oberto.(one on top of the other)