PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Suns Game 3 - Grades

timvp
05-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Tim Duncan
This was one of the best games of Duncan's career. He thoroughly dominated action during all 41 minutes he was on the court. He finished with 33 points, 19 rebounds, three blocks and no turnovers, while shooting 12-for-19 from the field. He also had many huge defensive plays in the fourth quarter. Just an amazing effort by Duncan who appeared to be the hungriest player on the court. He couldn't have played much better.
Grade: A+

Manu Ginobili
Welcome back, Ginobili. After a frustrating string of games, Ginobili bounced back with a huge performance. He scored a playoff high 24 points in 32 minutes. He was ultra aggressive attacking the basket and making things happen. Ginobili had been settling for jumpshots recently, but responded in a big way when the Spurs needed him the most. His play in the third quarter was the turning point in the ballgame.
Grade: A-

Tony Parker
When the Spurs only had one basket outside of 16 feet in the first half, it was Parker and Duncan keeping the Spurs close. Without Parker's first half points, the Spurs would have been in trouble going into the third period. Parker's scoring fell off in the second half, but he had a couple timely assist and a big basket. More impressive than his offense was his defense. He dominated Nash defensively in the first half and when he switched off onto Barbosa, he stopped Barbosa from producing. Defensively, this goes down as a highlight in Parker's career.

Bruce Bowen
Speaking of defense, Bowen's killer D was back. With Parker starting on Nash, it made Bowen more effective late when Nash had little time to adjust. Bowen also had three huge baskets in the second half that propelled the Spurs. He finished with ten points, nine rebounds, four steals, two assists and a block. It was an all around very good performance from Bowen.
Grade: A

Francisco Elson
Elson was decent in the first half. His rotation were there for the most part and he hit one of the Spurs few first half jumpers. He had a couple bad plays, but nothing extraordinarily bad. He didn't play in the second half.
Grade: C+

Michael Finley
Finley had an off shooting night, but the two shots he did hit were huge. He hit the Spurs lone shot outside of 16 feet in the first half when he sank a three-pointer late in the second quarter. He hit another gigantic three in the fourth quarter that helped seal the victory. On the other hand, his defense wasn't as good as it has been and he missed eight shots out of ten.
Grade: C

Brent Barry
This quietly might have been the most important playoff performance of Barry's career. Forget the stats, he came in and changed the offensive flow for the Spurs in the third quarter. When he entered, the Spurs had hit only one three-pointer in the game. Within minutes, the Spurs had buried three treys, with Barry accounting for the first make and dishing out an assist on the second one. He came in, got the ball moving and was a huge part of the win.

Fabricio Oberto
Oberto was another player who subtly had a nice showing. He drew a couple fouls, got a couple big rebounds and it was his passes that got Ginobili going. He started the second half, so there's a possibility that he could see a lot more action in this series. If that's the case, he's proven to be able to do the small intangible things that produce victories.
Grade: B+

Robert Horry
Horry struggled much of the game but like usual, came through with a clutch three-pointer in the fourth quarter. His defense was sub par and he had a couple bad decisions offensively, but the effort was there and he was playing tough. As long as Horry is playing hard, good things usually tend to happen.

Jacque Vaughn
Vaughn played seven minutes and didn't make a dent in the stat sheet at all. Usually that'd be a sign of a bad game, but that's actually an improvement over the way he's been playing. The Spurs don't need him to shoot or even distribute the ball much. His job is to pass it once he gets passed halfcourt and then just get out of the way.
Grade: B-

Pop
Well coached game by Pop in Game 3. He didn't panic and kept Ginobili coming off the bench, which turned out to be the right call. He had a magic touch when it came to substitutions. He put Barry in the game in the third quarter and right away Barry led a run. Then in the fourth, he put Finley in and Finley drained a three-pointer within seconds. His decision to start Oberto in the second half was also a good one. And it's good to see Pop playing the Big Three more minutes.

makedamnsure
05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
too nice for Barry but whatever

Admidave50
05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Good man, I was waiting for it :)

spurster
05-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Elson was D or worse.

timvp
05-12-2007, 11:01 PM

I'm not sure the Spurs even win the game without Barry. Before he entered the game, the Spurs' offense had no crispness.

He made it crisp.

itzsoweezee
05-12-2007, 11:01 PM
horry is so underrated. he might not have put up the stats, but he did all the little things that make a difference. he's a wily veteran and was really trying to get under amare's skin. i loved it.

ShoogarBear
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
A+ for Barry? :lol Low expectations.

He did play well, though.

timvp
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Elson was D or worse.

Again, I will forward all comments for Francisco Elson to his fan club presidents Obstructed View, Aggie Hoopsfan and T Park.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 11:03 PM
There may be hope left for Ginobili.

dbreiden83080
Tim Duncan
This was one of the best games of Duncan's career. He thoroughly dominated action during all 41 minutes he was on the court. He finished with 33 points, 19 rebounds, three blocks and no turnovers, while shooting 12-for-19 from the field. He also had many huge defensive plays in the fourth quarter. Just an amazing effort by Duncan who appeared to be the hungriest player on the court. He couldn't have played much better.

[/SIZE]

Well said and then some Timmy was an animal tonight. He played like the amazing champ that he is for every minute that he was on the floor.

duncan228
I wish there was something higher than an A+ for Duncan but your words are beautiful.
It was one of his best performances.

Texas_Ranger
05-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Barry's got an A+. Don't agree with that.

Sec24Row7
Duncan got screwed with this grading system.

LaMarcus Bryant
Barry played as awesome as we could expect out of him given his performance recently, he deserves credit.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure the Spurs even win the game without Barry. Before he entered the game, the Spurs' offense had no crispness.

He made it crisp.

I said the same thing in the game thread. barry's long three changed the course of the game, and as you say, he then had a few nice, crisp passes.

:clap Barry! Glad to see him turn up.

T Park
not only for what he did on the offensive end, but defensively Barry was fantastic.

He fronted Diaw and others greatly, he stopped a penetration by Nash that turned into a missed shot.

You guys are being way too hard on Barry, Barry was great.

Kori Ellis

:lol How is an A+ and saying this was one of his best games ever, getting screwed?

E20
05-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Barry deserves an A+ He came out with the confidence of a raging bull. Nailed his first trey sparked a 9-0 run. Kept the offense running and fluid.

T Park
05-12-2007, 11:07 PM

theres something better than A+ :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Not only that but Barry was a good 2 feet behind the 3 point line when he drained that three too.

ducks
barry did alot that did not show up

timvp
Barry played as awesome as we could expect out of him given his performance recently, he deserves credit.

Exactly. Players are graded based on their potential. In ten minutes of action, would it have been possible for Barry to have had more of a positive impact on the game than he had?

Doubt it.

E20
05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Not only that but Barry was a good 2 feet behind the 3 point line when he drained that three too.
I had a feelign in my nose that was going in. The other two 40 footers he bombed I had doubts, but the first one was going in for SURE.

Admidave50

A++? :lol

pad300
10 and 9 for Bowen, and shut-down D... and he only gets an A

Give the man his A+, those points and rebounds are MUCH above the expected...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-12-2007, 11:10 PM
There were so many big 2nd half plays today.

First was Barry's 3 straight off the bench, then Manu's poked eye anger, Horry's 4th Q 3, Finley's 4th Q 3, Tony's big 4th Q bucket, Timmy every time we needed something... but the biggest difference was the SCRAMBLING D in the 2nd half. We didn't scramble in the first and they nailed 6 threes on us, but we did in the second and they only had 3 threes, not to mention all the blocks, steals and assorted defensive hustle plays. Much more SPURSBALL like! :D

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm still a little worried about our offense, starting to buy into the crap about phoenix clamping down on us....if Barry doesn't hit that sick three, or Manu doesn't get poked in the eye....then what is the outcome?
If we can give "the offense" a general grade, i would still say like B- at best. We're still missing something.

florige
05-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Tim Duncan

Manu Ginobili
Welcome back, Ginobili. After a frustrating string of games, Ginobili bounced back with a huge performance. He scored a playoff high 24 points in 32 minutes. He was ultra aggressive attacking the basket and making things happen. Ginobili had been settling for jumpshots recently, but responded in a big way when the Spurs needed him the most. His play in the third quarter was the turning point in the ballgame.

Tony Parker
When the Spurs only had one basket outside of 16 feet in the first half, it was Parker and Duncan keeping the Spurs close. Without Parker's first half points, the Spurs would have been in trouble going into the third period. Parker's scoring fell off in the second half, but he had a couple timely assist and a big basket. More impressive than his offense was his defense. He dominated Nash defensively in the first half and when he switched off onto Barbosa, he stopped Barbosa from producing. Defensively, this goes down as a highlight in Parker's career.

Bruce Bowen
Speaking of defense, Bowen's killer D was back. With Parker starting on Nash, it made Bowen more effective late when Nash had little time to adjust. Bowen also had three huge baskets in the second half that propelled the Spurs. He finished with ten points, nine rebounds, four steals, two assists and a block. It was an all around very good performance from Bowen.
Grade: A

Francisco Elson
Elson was decent in the first half. His rotation were there for the most part and he hit one of the Spurs few first half jumpers. He had a couple bad plays, but nothing extraordinarily bad. He didn't play in the second half.
Grade: C+

Michael Finley
Finley had an off shooting night, but the two shots he did hit were huge. He hit the Spurs lone shot outside of 16 feet in the first half when he sank a three-pointer late in the second quarter. He hit another gigantic three in the fourth quarter that helped seal the victory. On the other hand, his defense wasn't as good as it has been and he missed eight shots out of ten.

Brent Barry
This quietly might have been the most important playoff performance of Barry's career. Forget the stats, he came in and changed the offensive flow for the Spurs in the third quarter. When he entered, the Spurs had hit only one three-pointer in the game. Within minutes, the Spurs had buried three treys, with Barry accounting for the first make and dishing out an assist on the second one. He came in, got the ball moving and was a huge part of the win.

Fabricio Oberto
Oberto was another player who subtly had a nice showing. He drew a couple fouls, got a couple big rebounds and it was his passes that got Ginobili going. He started the second half, so there's a possibility that he could see a lot more action in this series. If that's the case, he's proven to be able to do the small intangible things that produce victories.
Grade: B+

Robert Horry
Horry struggled much of the game but like usual, came through with a clutch three-pointer in the fourth quarter. His defense was sub par and he had a couple bad decisions offensively, but the effort was there and he was playing tough. As long as Horry is playing hard, good things usually tend to happen.

Jacque Vaughn
Vaughn played seven minutes and didn't make a dent in the stat sheet at all. Usually that'd be a sign of a bad game, but that's actually an improvement over the way he's been playing. The Spurs don't need him to shoot or even distribute the ball much. His job is to pass it once he gets passed halfcourt and then just get out of the way.
Grade: B-

Pop
Well coached game by Pop in Game 3. He didn't panic and kept Ginobili coming off the bench, which turned out to be the right call. He had a magic touch when it came to substitutions. He put Barry in the game in the third quarter and right away Barry led a run. Then in the fourth, he put Finley in and Finley drained a three-pointer within seconds. His decision to start Oberto in the second half was also a good one. And it's good to see Pop playing the Big Three more minutes.

I rememeber one play in the 1st half that kinda made me chuckle. Vaughn had just brought the ball up past half court and passed it to Ginoboli, immediatly Manu got double teamed in the process leaving Vaughn wide open. It was like Manu saw him open and just took his chances forcing a pass to someone else. I know that had to make Vaughn feel like crap. :lol

T Park
05-12-2007, 11:13 PM
The defense in the second half was a little better than the first, they just got lucky that Marion and Nash missed some shots, and Kurt Thomas blowing a point blank layup.

They have got to stop abandoning the perimiter shooters collapsing on Nash, and staying the hell home!!!!

Supergirl
05-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I realized tonight (this perhaps should have been obvious) but part of the reason Manu coming off the bench works so well is that Pop has timed his substitutions so that he and Oberto play together a lot. It makes sense - they know each other well and play with great chemistry.

Spurs need this level of intensity in Game 4, and then they should have this series - whether it takes 5 or 6 games.

v2freak
05-12-2007, 11:14 PM

He made it crisp.

Agree

TampaDude
05-12-2007, 11:15 PM

A++, then! :toast

Slippy
05-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Brent Barry

Good call. Barry's 3, on offense atleast.. changed the complextion of the game.

bresilhac
05-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Tim was simply magnificent and is THE reason the Spurs are looking so impressive this playoff and WILL win this year's Championship. It seems that no matter what the Suns try to defend him it doesn't work. Or gets worse as the games wear on. What's next for Tim in this series? 40 & 20?

E20
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I also wanna say that I'm really impressed by Tim's aggressiveness. Everytime he had that opening for the lay-up he didn't go for the lay-up, but went for the slam, even knowing at times he could have got the easy two, but instead geared up to slam it, even though he was unsuccessful except for once.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-12-2007, 11:36 PM
I also wanna say that I'm really impressed by Tim's aggressiveness. Everytime he had that opening for the lay-up he didn't go for the lay-up, but went for the slam, even knowing at times he could have got the easy two, but instead geared up to slam it, even though he was unsuccessful except for once.

You could almost say he was the Sylvester Stallone of Game 3 :smokin

timvp
05-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Two aspects that might be overlooked:

1) Manu using his drive to setup his outside shot instead of the other way around. Great self adjustment.

2) Parker's defense. His first half defense on Nash was outstanding and his second half defense on Barbosa was great as well. In one-on-one situations, I'm not sure if the Suns ever scored a basket on Parker.

E20
05-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Stallone couldn't even have calmed down Duncan tonight. People boat about Amares show in 05 against the Spurs I can't wait until this series becomes a part of history and is showcased. Amare is David and Tim is Hakeem, no offense to Dave -- I love him.

ducks
05-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Barbosa did have a very poor game

GrandeDavid
05-12-2007, 11:56 PM
LJ, I don't know if you're getting paid or not, but you should receive some form of monetary compensation for your consistently excellent summary of each individual player's performance. Great job, my friend.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:02 AM
LJ, I don't know if you're getting paid or not, but you should receive some form of monetary compensation for your consistently excellent summary of each individual player's performance. Great job, my friend.

The only form of payment timvp accepts is a Spurs victory.

:smokin

aaronstampler
05-13-2007, 12:06 AM
I think a big key to the game was how we did such a great job of taking care of the ball in the second half, especially the fourth quarter. We basically got a shot up every possession, so we gave ourselves a chance to score every possession, plus we didn't give them a chance to fast break.

Turnovers by quarter:

1: 4
2: 3
3: 3
4: 0

ducks
05-13-2007, 12:07 AM
no turnovers by td when has that every happened

Pop OFits
05-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Nice grades...and pretty much right on.
Key moments in the game:
* Oberto draws Amare's 4th foul...questioned by many but it was a frustration foul and Oberto drew it out of him. Amare sits.

* Barry's 3, injection of energy and confidence...like a Medrol Dosepack for a team who was feeling not so fresh.

* The Manu eye-mouse. Manu goes on an 8-0 run. The Suns had a tough time recovering.

conversekid
05-13-2007, 12:15 AM

And "flattery" when vex and walter steal your grades and use them as discussion points. They don't call them "grades"... but i've heard them repeat almost word for word your comments on player performance on their show... the few minutes i catch them here and there.

aaronstampler
05-13-2007, 12:18 AM
P.S. I guess the win put you in a good mood, but some of those grades were waaaaaaaaaaay too generous.

Finley shoots 2 of 10 and gets a C? His defense wasn't even any good. He was responsible for 2 of Bell's 4 open 3s and Marion toasted him pretty regularly when they were matched up.

A "C+" for Elson? Dude had 3 turnovers in 8 minutes. Didn't close out on Bell. The Suns had their highest scoring quarter when he played most of his minutes. Pop though so highly of his play that he benched him for the last 34 minutes of the game. I wonder what he'd think of the C+.

A "C" for Horry? He finished -15 in 22 minutes in a game we won by 7. He didn't make a shot, his defense was poor, and not in one of his "shifts" did the Suns fail to outscore us. C'mon now.

Jacque Vaughn shouldn't get a "B-" for doing nothing. Are standards so low around here we can give the backup PG a B- just not turning the ball over? Methinks this is code for "let Brent or Manu run backup point."

Finally, I think an "A" for Bruce might be a little much. Nash didn't do crap in the first half with Tony on him mainly (and Manu a little), and he had a pretty good 2nd half all things considering with Bruce on him. Plus, Stevie didn't have the luxury of playing with Amare very much. I think a "B+" or so would've been appropriate.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Finley shoots 2 of 10 and gets a C? His defense wasn't even any good. He was responsible for 2 of Bell's 4 open 3s and Marion toasted him pretty regularly when they were matched up.

Two big shots and got the foul parade started on Amare. Wasn't great but he stepped up when needed.

A "C+" for Elson?

In case you haven't noticed, Elson sucks. For him to get lower, he'd have to do more outwardly bad.

A "C" for Horry? He didn't make a shot

Re-watch the game and then get back to me.

Jacque Vaughn shouldn't get a "B-" for doing nothing.

He hurts the Spurs most when he tries to do anything. Vaughn doing nothing >>> Vaughn trying to do something.

Finally, I think an "A" for Bruce might be a little much. I think a "B+" or so would've been appropriate.

Yeah, a B+ for a guy who hit three huge shots, rebounded way above his norm and got four big steals. Most of the points Nash scored in the second half were off of scramble plays or when matched up one-on-one with Barry.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Finley made up for a terrible game with that dagger. I'll take a guy making a play when it's important.

Horry was very good on intangibles despite not having a wonderful stat sheet. His team defense isn't ever great but if he's getting in Amare's head, coming in hard from the weak side and drawing defenders out of position, he's earning his money.

Vaughn and Elson have become such huge liabilities that their expectations coudn't possibly be lower. The fact that Elson made a basket or got a rebound without shitting all over himself or tripping on his own feet is surprising, and Vaughn gets some points from me for simply NOT shooting the ball and instead waiting to give it to Manu. Glad they were angry enough with the Amare situation that they came out and almost didn't fuck up as a show of support for their team. Four points and only three turnovers between them in fifteen minutes is a small blessing.

Bruce was pretty fucking clutch, even though taking Parker off Nash was a mistake in my opinion. He played like a team leader and you can't discount when he's giving you both scoring and rebounding.

aaronstampler
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Re: Elson, 3 turnovers in 8 minutes is about as outwardly bad as it gets. Does he have to take a shit on the court to get a lower grade?

Re: Horry, my bad, I forgot about the one he hit in the fourth. Still, I think it's a bit sad the guy can hit one shot and it enhances his folk hero status. I think it cheapens the memory of the actual good games he does have. Like against Denver he was one of our best players. Today he was just a passanger.

Re: Vaughn, that still doesn't sound like much of a defense. I think Pop needs to put serious thought into letting Brent or Manu run some point. Might be a way to find Brent some extra minutes without sacrificing Manu/Fin/Bowen's playing time.

I will however, accept your defense of Fin and Bowen.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Finley made up for a terrible game with that dagger. I'll take a guy making a play when it's important.

Horry was very good on intangibles despite not having a wonderful stat sheet. His team defense isn't ever great but if he's getting in Amare's head, coming in hard from the weak side and drawing defenders out of position, he's earning his money.

Vaughn and Elson have become such huge liabilities that their expectations coudn't possibly be lower. The fact that Elson made a basket or got a rebound without shitting all over himself or tripping on his own feet is surprising, and Vaughn gets some points from me for simply NOT shooting the ball and instead waiting to give it to Manu. Glad they were angry enough with the Amare situation that they came out and almost didn't fuck up as a show of support for their team. Four points and only three turnovers between them in fifteen minutes is a small blessing.

Bruce was pretty fucking clutch, even though taking Parker off Nash was a mistake in my opinion. He played like a team leader and you can't discount when he's giving you both scoring and rebounding.

:lol :tu

You said it better than I did.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Re: Elson, 3 turnovers in 8 minutes is about as outwardly bad as it gets. Does he have to take a shit on the court to get a lower grade?

That'd probably still in the D to D- range. :smokin

Re: Horry, my bad, I forgot about the one he hit in the fourth. Still, I think it's a bit sad the guy can hit one shot and it enhances his folk hero status. I think it cheapens the memory of the actual good games he does have. Like against Denver he was one of our best players. Today he was just a passanger.

I don't think a C is glorifying him that much. He supplied a lot of the toughness out there and was in the closing lineup. He can play a lot better ... but as we saw last postseason, he can play a lot worse.

SequSpur
05-13-2007, 12:40 AM
those are some bandwagoning grades right there.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 12:41 AM
:lol :tu

You said it better than I did.
In this case, it's accurate. Any benefit of the doubt I might have been giving him dried up with that choked dunk attempt. I hate him more than you do now. I have no patience for mentally weak players.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I just got home from bowling.

SpursFanFirst
05-13-2007, 12:43 AM

Actually, I think Barry was very important in this game. When he came in and hit that 3, it instantly changed the overall feel of that game.
I'm glad he did well...we really needed that! :clap

Solid D
05-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I just got home from bowling.

:rollin

SequSpur
05-13-2007, 12:44 AM
:rollin

wtf are you laughing at.. your ass can't even show up to a gtg.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:46 AM
wtf are you laughing at.. your ass can't even show up to a gtg.

He was at the GTG tonight. I tried calling Hill Country Lanes but they said they didn't see you . . .

SequSpur
05-13-2007, 12:47 AM
He was at the GTG tonight. I tried calling Hill Country Lanes but they said they didn't see you . . .

bs... solid D is a wuss bag.. a hider.. chicken shit.

I was at home with the Klan throwing down....

aaronstampler
05-13-2007, 12:49 AM
At least LJ is coming around to agreeing with me about Tony. His defensive work on the opposing point is more of a factor in our wins/losses than how many points he scores.

The team doesn't need Tony to be all world, we just need him to compete on both ends. When he takes that Steve Nash, "I can conserve energy on defense" mentality, we're in trouble.

Solid D
05-13-2007, 12:51 AM
http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/photos/thumb_small/9129/9129,1129133932,2.jpg

Here are some pics of me at the GTG, although I don't photograph well.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:53 AM
At least LJ is coming around to agreeing with me about Tony. His defensive work on the opposing point is more of a factor in our wins/losses than how many points he scores.

:jack

The Spurs don't win Game 1 if Parker only plays defense. The Spurs are down 10+ in this game at half if he doesn't attack in the first half.

Parker, like Ginobili, is best when relentlessly attacking. Parker has done a good job in these playoffs of carrying that over to both ends of the court.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Of course, he actually has to have the assignment in order for that to happen.

aaronstampler
05-13-2007, 01:00 AM
:jack

The Spurs don't win Game 1 if Parker only plays defense. The Spurs are down 10+ in this game at half if he doesn't attack in the first half.

Parker, like Ginobili, is best when relentlessly attacking. Parker has done a good job in these playoffs of carrying that over to both ends of the court.

If that emoticon was an offer LJ, I'm flattered but uninterested. What would Kori think? :lol

Let's get Game 4 and finish these bitches off...

kskonn
05-13-2007, 01:06 AM

Well I suppose the 10k I was going to send you will just have to be blown on strippers... :toast

biba
05-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks Timvp for your giving us great insight about players performance.

Anyway, grades based on "potential" seem a little confusing for some people, like me.
Could it be possible you give us "potential" or "expectations" for every player for these playoffs: is "potential" the best a player can achieve? Or its average game?
And if a player reach is potential in a game, what it's due grade: A or B or C?
C could be it if we take Horry's grade: "Horry struggled much of the game but like usual, came through with a clutch three-pointer in the fourth quarter. His defense was sub par and he had a couple bad decisions offensively, but the effort was there and he was playing tough." Though it seems Horry was a little bit under his average game.
And Duncan: if Duncan is Duncan - this year's Duncan - how much he has to produce to earn a A or a B or a C?
I know it's hard to evaluate because all the stuff that doesn't appear in the stats sheet.
And again, many thanks.

Athenea
05-13-2007, 03:43 AM
P.S. I guess the win put you in a good mood, but some of those grades were waaaaaaaaaaay too generous.

A "C+" for Elson? Dude had 3 turnovers in 8 minutes. Didn't close out on Bell. The Suns had their highest scoring quarter when he played most of his minutes. Pop though so highly of his play that he benched him for the last 34 minutes of the game. I wonder what he'd think of the C+.

A "C" for Horry? He finished -15 in 22 minutes in a game we won by 7. He didn't make a shot, his defense was poor, and not in one of his "shifts" did the Suns fail to outscore us. C'mon now.

Jacque Vaughn shouldn't get a "B-" for doing nothing. Are standards so low around here we can give the backup PG a B- just not turning the ball over? Methinks this is code for "let Brent or Manu run backup point."

Finally, I think an "A" for Bruce might be a little much. Nash didn't do crap in the first half with Tony on him mainly (and Manu a little), and he had a pretty good 2nd half all things considering with Bruce on him. Plus, Stevie didn't have the luxury of playing with Amare very much. I think a "B+" or so would've been appropriate.
pattern

EG12
05-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Hey
i'm from the Netherlands..
Please don't give up on Elson yet... He wil come back stronger!

ManuTastic
05-13-2007, 07:36 AM
All true on Manu, but don't forget his 3 steals and 4 dimes. Those were some nice steals. I like me some mothafuckin' Manu steals.

50 cent
05-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Horry deserves a higher grade and I would put Parker as a B.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I think Barry's grade is justified. Dude was +15 in Game 3. He benefitted from sharing the floor with Ginobili during his late 3rd explosion, but Barry played just enough minutes (and perceptibly did just enough while on the floor) to make me think that he actually played a big role in that turnaround.

2centsworth
05-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't think the Spurs played nearly as well as they can play.

Tim Duncan- Easily with a A+. There's not much you can say except he was great.

Manu- For Manu standards I can only give him a B. He's still missing easy layups. However, his defense was outstanding. I watched a few minutes of the first half again and I saw Manu playing Steve Nash a lot.

Tony- C+. He needs more assist. I guess it's always going to be difficult for Tony, but when there's no flow to the Spurs offense it would be great if Tony could get easy buckets for players.

Elson- F. I missed 10 minutes of the game, so maybe he did well during those 10 minutes. However, from what I saw the guy stunk.

Fin- Hustle and effort was there and he did hit two big shots. He just had an off night. He gets a C+.

Horry- Dang this dude needs to hustle sometimes. He hit a huge 3 and played some good D. C+

Brent- I gotta give him a B+. He had a couple of rough patches, but overall he was very good. He can do better so I can't give him an A.

Oberto- all the hustle in the world. B+

Jacque- this is not the series for him.

Bruce- it goes without being said, A+. 9 freakin rbs!!!!!

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Hey
i'm from the Netherlands..
Please don't give up on Elson yet... He wil come back stronger!
To be fair, he has no choice from his current position.

DarrinS
05-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Good job with the grades. I'm glad someone stays sober during the games.

I told you people that Manu would be back in this game.

timvp
05-13-2007, 11:27 AM
pattern

True. You only show up when Manu scores over 20.

timvp
05-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Anyway, grades based on "potential" seem a little confusing for some people, like me.
Could it be possible you give us "potential" or "expectations" for every player for these playoffs: is "potential" the best a player can achieve? Or its average game?

Potential as in the best a player can play.

And if a player reach is potential in a game, what it's due grade: A or B or C?

If a player plays to his potential, that's an A in my book. The scale is different for every player, but basically an A means a player played about as well as possible, a B means a player played well but can play better and a C means a player played decent. Lower than that is reserved for players who didn't come ready to play or made a large amount of mistakes.

SequSpur
05-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I hate to say this, but if Pop played Beno somewhere in the middle of the second, he would probably come in and drop 10 pts on phoenix before they knew what happened.

T Park
05-13-2007, 11:45 AM
:lol

aaronstampler
05-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Who? Me?

timvp
05-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Who? Me?

The person I was quoting.

angel_luv
05-13-2007, 11:57 AM
I say, give Gino an A+. He was awesome. :)

Cry Havoc
05-13-2007, 12:59 PM
The person I was quoting.

You only show up when Elson has an above average performance. :lol

biba
05-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks Timvp for your reply.

"Potential as in the best a player can play."

I understand the best a player eventually plays in the playoffs (not his potential for the future, not his best in the regular season because it's a different game in some way).

So there is no place in your scale for a player playing over his potential.
If in game 4 Vaughn is 12/5/2 with 8 points in the 4th quarter, what to give him ? Well, it won't happen...

Athenea
05-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Wrong. And yes, u have a "pattern" and u know it.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 02:06 PM
If in game 4 Vaughn is 12/5/2 with 8 points in the 4th quarter, what to give him ?
Some hookers and a case of champagne.

biba
05-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biba

If in game 4 Vaughn is 12/5/2 with 8 points in the 4th quarter, what to give him ?

Some hookers and a case of champagne.

:spin

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM

If that happens, I'm sure we can make up a superlative grade just for him. :lol

timvp
05-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Wrong. And yes, u have a "pattern" and u know it.

A pattern of what exactly?

SpursWoman
05-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Or, hookers and a case of champaign. :lol

biba
05-13-2007, 02:28 PM
By the way, Spurswoman, It seems you are member n°4 in Spurstalk forum. :clap

I've never seen posts by members 1, 2 and 3. Who are they ?
And how can U be before Kori and Timvp ?

Strange things happen.