PDA

View Full Version : "Suns need to switch strategy on defense"

SpursFanFirst
05-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Suns need to switch strategy on defense
Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6804734

The Spurs seemed to have a lot going for them in their impressive 108-101 win over Phoenix on Saturday. And the key to the game was San Antonio's manipulation of the matchups.

Let's take a closer look.

The most critical matchup of them all was Kurt Thomas versus Tim Duncan. Because Thomas had given TD such a hard time in Game 2, the Suns were confident that they could avoid having to two-time Duncan and therefore control Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. But Duncan simply destroyed Thomas. :tu

At least two inches shorter than Duncan, with an abbreviated wing-span and minimal hops, Thomas was seldom able to challenge TD's release point. Instead, Thomas had to swipe at Duncan's dribble. If that tactic was fruitless, then Thomas resorted to swiping at the ball as Duncan brought it up to shoot. But the Big Fundamental made sure to fend off Thomas with his off arm and his lead shoulder.

Yes, Thomas clawed, shoved, bumped, held and forced Duncan to take several difficult shots. But Duncan made most of the difficult ones and the easy ones as well.

For a couple of possessions, Phoenix also sicced Boris Diaw on Duncan. After licking his chops, Duncan scored an easy jump hook, then a layup on a backdoor cut.

In Game 4, the Suns absolutely must double-team Duncan.

Steve Nash started out opposite Tony Parker but was chumped by repeated high screen/rolls. The visitors' long-range game plan was to use Shawn Marion as the primary defender against Parker, but the Matrix couldn't keep TP out of the middle either. However, Phoenix was ready to collapse into the lane whenever Parker did turn the corner — and Parker's kick-out passes went for naught as Michael Finley and Manu Ginobili couldn't find the ring even though they had plenty of open looks.

Come the third quarter, though, and the Suns' interior rotations started to slow down. And that's when Parker really went to work, plaguing Phoenix with a rash of spinning layups, and once Bowen, Finley and Brent Barry finally found the range, also with a variety of assist-passes.

Raja Bell had the task of containing Ginobili, and he did a fairly good job early on. Ginobili was inserted into the game with just a few minutes gone in the first quarter, but couldn't get anything going. He was also the designated scorer for the Spurs' second unit and accordingly drew a crowd whenever he drove into the lane. In the first half, Ginobili was either stripped or his shots were smacked at least four times.

In the third quarter, however, Ginobili commenced to abuse Bell, who for some reason failed to push Ginobili to his right hand. Indeed, on only one drive was Ginobili forced to execute a right-to-left crossover. Otherwise it was go left, young man, go left.

Of course, the fact that Ginobili knocked down a couple of jumpers did much to soften Bell's defensive pressure. In the middle of the last quarter, Marion took over the task — but it was already too late.

On the other side of the ledger, the Spurs tried multiple defenders on Nash. Parker picked up Nash as he crossed the time-line and hounded him as much as possible. Even though Parker succeeded in getting around several high S/Rs, the Spurs didn't mind showing the bigs and then switching.

Bruce Bowen took a few turns bumping and grinding against Nash, as did Ginobili. And whoever had this difficult task was greatly helped by the Spurs' bigs stepping up and helping out. Instead of waiting to meet Nash at the rim, San Antonio's helpers were suddenly there a step or two below the foul line. The weakness of this maneuver, of course, was in allowing Amare Stoudemire, Diaw, and (sometimes) Thomas to slip behind the rotators and to offer attractive targets for drop passes by Nash. Even so, once these passes were completed, the Spurs (especially Robert Horry and Duncan) were quick enough to recover and swarm the ball so that Phoenix seldom wound up with unimpeded layups.

Even though the long-armed Ginobili blocked a layup, he was mostly unable to keep up with Nash. But the physicality of Bowen's efforts seemed to bother Nash the most. Bowen constantly hassled him, overplayed Nash screen-side, and even ripped him once or twice. In any event, Nash was scoreless for the first half, and didn't get his mojo working until 4:58 of the third quarter, when he tallied his initial field goal. By then, it was too late to salvage the game.

Bell picked up some of the slack by downing four (of four) treys in the first half — but was a total non-factor thereafter. Amazing as it may seem, the Spurs' defensive rotations were even quick enough to slow down the Blur, Leandro Barbosa. In fact, the only Sun who routinely found holes in the Spurs' adhesive defense was Shawn Marion.

San Antonio also concentrated on trying to keep a lid on Stoudemire's explosive offense. As the game began, Stoudemire was guarded by Francisco Elson — to no avail. Stoudemire zipped his way to a pair of floaters and a putback, to say nothing of a neat assist-pass to Marion.

Elson was quickly yanked from the game, never to return. Fabricio Oberto was up next and did a creditable job. Banging the young man around. Executing a floperoo special 30 feet from the ball that the refs — in their finite wisdom — decided was a foul. Robert Horry also took a turn and succeeded in bothering a couple of Stoudemire's jump hooks.

But the Spurs' offense was their most important defense against Stoudemire. Mainly because of his late reactions and late rotations, and because of his eagerness to block shots, Stoudemire was easily suckered into committing enough fouls to force him into spending more time on the bench than on the court.

Still, it wasn't until Barry, Bowen, Finley and Ginobili found the range from the perimeter late in the third quarter that San Antonio took control of the game. And, of course, Big Shot "Call Me ‘Rob'" hit his customary rally-squelching 3-ball.

Give Phoenix credit for not conceding anything at any time. And kudos to San Antonio for making more of its favorable mismatches than the Suns did of theirs — and for the Spurs' incredibly swift and excellent interior rotations.

So what can we expect in Game 4?

Since Duncan got too comfortable playing against Thomas, the Suns need to double-down on a regular basis. They might also use Thomas against Duncan more selectively, just as a change of pace. And by two-timing TD, Stoudemire can guard him without being too vulnerable to picking up an inordinate number of early fouls.

Since Bell and Marion are the Suns' only reliable backcourt/wing defenders, they must necessarily match up against Parker and Ginobili.

Phoenix also has to ratchet up its intensity and rescue more loose balls and stray rebounds. Bell has to stop woofing :lol at Bowen and concentrate more on putting the ball in the basket. Stoudemire has to stop bellyaching to the refs. Nash has to find a way to find a way.

Above all, the Suns need to tweak their baseline defense. Their bigs have to come quicker, higher in the lane, and under more control.

As for the Spurs?

They're in the enviable position where Phoenix has to adjust to them.

And so the human chess match continues.

OldDirtMcGirt
05-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Disagree about doubling Duncan. Let him get his. We were fine in game two without doubling him.

lefty
05-13-2007, 01:53 AM
The Suns have a defensive strategy ? :wtf

sabar
05-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Duncan creates such a mis-match for the Suns. If they do not double him, he will dominate anyone 1 on 1. If they do double him, he passes out to the wide open three or the slash to the basket. The Suns thought that Tim passing out to open shooters would be more of a threat. After this game and all of our bricks from outside, I wouldn't be suprised to see them double Tim in game 4, but I'm not sure how much that will really help them.

Duncan, depending on the matchups, can still score with two on him at times, especially with the small Suns. If Finley, Parker, or Manu are hot from outside shots, they will rack up points as Tim passes out of the double team, or it could create more chances for Manu and Parker to drive to the basket.

If I am PHX, I keep going 1 on 1 with Tim, because it's easier to control Parker and Manu. If you double Tim, it becomes easier for any of our big three to score, which hurts any team since when they all do well, we usually win. If they 1 on 1 Tim, he will do well but Parker or Manu can brick a lot of shots which makes it hard for the Spurs to win.

Chris
05-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Above all, the Suns need to tweak their baseline defense. Their bigs have to come quicker, higher in the lane, and under more control.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2664/matadorkt1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

timvp
05-13-2007, 02:03 AM
I only read Rosen's recaps to see how many mistakes I can find.

He didn't let me down. I see at least three mistakes :tu

cly2tw
05-13-2007, 02:09 AM
I find it incredible that such a "fundamentalist" like Rosen didn't even mention one main part of Suns' offense in 1st half and part of 3rd qtr, namely Diaw's post play, when Nash wasn't a real factor on offense.

Let TD get his points against Kurt, that's really not what decided the game. Two runs by the Spurs, one of 3 consequetive 3pters on fastbreaks capped with Bowen hitting a wide wide open one, and Manu's hot streak after being poked under eye were the main momentum swinger. And then refs allowing Bowen to manhandle Nash in the 4th just after Nash regained his shooting touch finally doomed Suns chance to come back.

Rosen offered really stupid adjustment measures in this article.

Despot
05-13-2007, 02:11 AM
How often has anyone seen the Suns double anyone?? Kind of always seemed to me that doubling is just something that they don't do. Then again, I don't see too many of their games, so it may just be how I perceive them.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Bell has to stop woofing at Bowen and concentrate more on putting the ball in the basket. :lol

I didn't get why Bell was complaining during the game to Bruce about Manu :lol Did he think Bruce was going to take his side?

Tek_XX
05-13-2007, 02:16 AM
:lol

I didn't get why Bell was complaining during the game to Bruce about Manu :lol Did he think Bruce was going to take his side?

Yeah, and/or he doesn't have the balls to say it to Manu.

mavsfan1000
05-13-2007, 02:20 AM
When Kurt Thomas is in the game don't double. When Kurt Thomas is out than double. Simple as that.

cly2tw
05-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Bell and Bowen are good friends and he shares the same agent with Manu. I guess you guys know that.

OldDirtMcGirt
05-13-2007, 02:27 AM
How often has anyone seen the Suns double anyone?? Kind of always seemed to me that doubling is just something that they don't do. Then again, I don't see too many of their games, so it may just be how I perceive them.

We usually double Kobe when we play the Lakers.

rasho8
05-13-2007, 02:42 AM
When Kurt Thomas is in the game don't double. When Kurt Thomas is out than double. Simple as that.

When Kurt Thomas is in the game, he gets owned by Duncan. When Kurt Thomas is out someone else get owned by Duncan. Simple as that.

There... fixed it.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Bell and Bowen are good friends and he shares the same agent with Manu. I guess you guys know that.

I know they are friends - I just thought it was odd that he'd plead his case to Bowen during the game. :)

kris
05-13-2007, 03:21 AM

Looks like Kurt Thomas the Duncan stopper was a second half of Game 2 fad.

Suns single team Duncan with anybody and they're going to get torched.

I do somewhat enjoy watching Kurt Thomas go mental every time Duncan lights him up. It seems like he bought into the fact he really could stop Duncan and is now genuinely surprised that he can't.

ManuTastic
05-13-2007, 07:44 AM
"a variety of assist-passes."

Um, Charley? Assists are always passes. Just fyi.

TampaDude
05-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Suns? D? Surely you jest! :lol

hater
05-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Suns bet the farm on Singling Duncan. Even I am surprised at how Duncan has stepped up his game. But I think he took it personal and is making them pay bigtime.

If they double Duncan, all we gotta do is make our open shots and we're home free. Suns are fucked.

timvp
05-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Like I said after Game 2, no team has ever beaten the Spurs in the playoffs with the defensive strategy of single covering Duncan. You just can't beat the Spurs like that. It can have an effect on one game, but it's not a viable longterm option.

That said, I expect some different looks from the Suns in Game 4, which hopefully the Spurs can take advantage of.

TampaDude
05-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Like I said after Game 2, no team has ever beaten the Spurs in the playoffs with the defensive strategy of single covering Duncan. You just can't beat the Spurs like that. It can have an effect on one game, but it's not a viable longterm option.

That said, I expect some different looks from the Suns in Game 4, which hopefully the Spurs can take advantage of.

Yup...let the Suns double-up on Duncan, and leave the perimeter open for the Spurs...and the threes will fall like rain, baby!!! GO SPURS GO!!!

exstatic
05-13-2007, 09:56 AM
"a variety of assist-passes."

Um, Charley? Assists are always passes. Just fyi.
Ah, but passes aren't always assists. Tim, like Tony, sometimes only triggers the first pass of two or three that lead to the basket.

1Parker1
05-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Nash is going to have a huge Game 4, I predict. Spurs need to be ready for that. Hopefully Finley, Horry, Ginobili still have their outside shot because that's going to be huge.

ducks
05-13-2007, 10:06 AM
I think suns double duncan
barry ,bowenand finely time

and finley got his bad shooting game out of the way last night
LETS GO SPURS

jmard5
05-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Nash is going to have a huge Game 4, I predict. Spurs need to be ready for that. Hopefully Finley, Horry, Ginobili still have their outside shot because that's going to be huge.

All it takes is for Parker to counter Nash's production.

ducks
05-13-2007, 10:07 AM
if they double duncan
tp jumpshot could be the key for game 4

Supergirl
05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I agree Suns will come out strong in game 4 - they don't want to go back to Phoenix down 3-1, because they know then the series is effectively over.

But game 4 is the Spurs' game to lose. They HAVE to come out strong, with just as much energy as they did in game 3. The Suns, ultimately, have no answer for Duncan, and therefore no answer for the Spurs. I said it all along - they can't win in a 7 game series, because the Spurs simply wear them down.