PDA

View Full Version : Which team in the playoffs gets the most beneficial calls?

EastsBeasts
05-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I'd have to say hands down right now since the Heat are out of the picture its the Spurs. Imagine this Suns fans, having Amare sit on the bench for practically 2 quarters is what the Piston's had to endure with at least 2 of their players the first 2 games of the 2005 finals at San Antonio. Why are the Spurs consistently favored by Stern's robots year after year? This is a question perhaps only the dark lord himself could answer.

timvp
05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
We live in a huge TV market and the ratings and money made off the Spurs is counted in billions, not millions.

ponky
05-13-2007, 12:08 PM
it's the wide eyes, jon barry pointed this out last night

peskypesky
05-13-2007, 12:09 PM
You're f-cking moron. Did you see Ginobili's eye last night? No foul was called and he nearly had his eye gouged out. And that was just one of about 10 no-calls on fouls against him.

And if you think the Spurs are favored by Stern and the NBA, your head is firmly up your a--. The supposedly "boring", small-market Spurs are just about the last team that Stern wants in the Finals.

I hate to see a Detroit fan whining like this. Good thing your team has more class than you do.

I for one like the Pistons and want to see a re-match of Spurs-Pistons in the Finals.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-13-2007, 12:10 PM
You're f-cking moron. Did you see Ginobili's eye last night? No foul was called he nearly had his eye gouged out. And that was just one of about 10 no-calls on fouls against him.

And if you think the Spurs are favored by Stern and the NBA, your head is firmly up your a--. The supposedly "boring", small-market Spurs are just about the last team that Stern wants in the Finals.

I hate to see a Detroit fan whining like this. Good thing your team has more class than you do.

I for one like the Pistons and want to see a re-match of Spurs-Pistons in the Finals.

You probably shouldn't start your argument with an obvious no-call on a steal attempt that just went wrong for Manu's face.

dallaskd
05-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Pheonix

jacobdrj
05-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Actually, the officiating has been decent this year. Not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, and there have been a few notable no-calls, but the playoffs is devoid of the horrible officiating that would have been present in, oh, I don't know, a Lakers-T`wolves series

cornbread
05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
This is why the league favors the Spurs and gives them championships and calls.

The Spurs produce the lowest of television ratings of any team which translates to lost revenue and an under-delivered audience for its advertisers. This helps the NBA in its goals of minimizing revenue and pissing off advertisers.

ponky
05-13-2007, 12:29 PM
what do the revenues have to do with the officiating? maybe it has more to do with that whole "the spurs are classy" thing that everyone is always tooting their horns about. maybe the refs want to give them the benefit of certain iffy calls because they are classy and polite as hell. maybe? yeah, maybe..........or, maybe it all evens out in the end.

peskypesky
05-13-2007, 12:32 PM
The Spurs are winning despite the fact that they are being mauled.

mVp
05-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Why are the Spurs consistently favored by Stern's robots year after year? This is a question perhaps only the dark lord himself could answer.

Yeah... the Spurs won 3 championships because of the refs :rolleyes

You're a dumbass

mavsfan1000
05-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Spurs by a large margin.

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Whiny fans from multiple teams unite!

Pistons < Spurs
05-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd have to say hands down right now since the Heat are out of the picture its the Spurs. Imagine this Suns fans, having Amare sit on the bench for practically 2 quarters is what the Piston's had to endure with at least 2 of their players the first 2 games of the 2005 finals at San Antonio. Why are the Spurs consistently favored by Stern's robots year after year? This is a question perhaps only the dark lord himself could answer.
Pot meet the Kettle......

The Pistons are notoriously one of the least penalized teams. In the last 4 years, we've ranked 5th, 1st, 2nd and 4th in fewest PF's per game. While we have alot of fouls in this post season ... the previous 4 postseasons we've ranked 1st, 2nd , 6th and 4th.

It's difficult to take your post seriously when we are in fact, more guilty of what you're accusing the Spurs or Stern for.

That being said, I've had no problem with the officiating so far. There's always missed calls and bad calls. On a certain night one team may indeed make out better than another, but IMO it's been nothing blatant.

Style of play, bbal IQ, and experience have alot more to do with the fouls one team gets more than any sort bias the league or officials have towards any player or team.

peskypesky
05-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Pot meet the Kettle......

The Pistons are notoriously one of the least penalized teams....

It's difficult to take your post seriously when we are in fact, more guilty of what you're accusing the Spurs or Stern for.

Nice to see a classy Pistons fan on the boards. I like that, because I like and respect the Pistons, even though they are the "enemy". I don't want them to beat the Spurs when they meet in the Finals this year, but I do give them props.

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah, it's odd seeing a pistonfan throwing out some preemptive finals whining.

Not the norm around here.

cornbread
05-13-2007, 02:33 PM
what do the revenues have to do with the officiating? maybe it has more to do with that whole "the spurs are classy" thing that everyone is always tooting their horns about. maybe the refs want to give them the benefit of certain iffy calls because they are classy and polite as hell. maybe? yeah, maybe..........or, maybe it all evens out in the end.
The implication that the Spurs get special treatment from the league has everything to do with revenue. The league is not going to give special treatment to a team that it loses money on. Although it's a sport, the NBA is a business first.
Secondly, I thought the Spurs were known as the "dirty" and "whiny" team that complains to refs on every call. That's not classy. That's not behavior that refs would reward with the benefit on iffy calls. I thought us homers were they only ones who thought the Spurs were classy.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2007, 03:02 PM
At one point the Spurs were dead last in free throw attempts. I guess it's the quality of the calls the Spurs get, therefore the "most beneficial" label. :rolleyes

Rosie O'Donnell
05-13-2007, 06:01 PM
the Spurs

atxrocker
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
the spurs, hands down

BUMP
05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
At one point the Spurs were dead last in free throw attempts.

there's no way. not with Duncan on the team. maybe a team with no low post presence, but the Spurs have a beast down low and a couple of guards that live in the paint.

link?

spursfan09
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Man I wish the Spurs would get all the calls! That would be great, but I know in the real world they dont.

ChumpDumper
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
For the playoffs, the Spurs' have, on average, 0.25 more fouls called on them than their opponents have called on them -- 9th out of 16 teams.

The fix is definitely in.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Cleveland, LeBron James is the number 2 player in the league that is treated as if he's proved, won, and shown something important in his career and treated as such (number 1 being Dirk "the big smelly german douche" nowitzki)

slayermin
05-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I refuse to believe EastsBeasts is a "true" Pistons fan.

The stuff the Pistons had to battle against the Heat is the same crap we had to battle against the Lakers for years before Shaq left.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
there's no way. not with Duncan on the team. maybe a team with no low post presence, but the Spurs have a beast down low and a couple of guards that live in the paint.

link?

It was early in the playoffs, but here's a link to a thread discussing the point in time when the Spurs had the fewest FTA in the playoffs:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65742

Actually, the Spurs still average the fewest FTA/G of any team in the 2007 playoffs:

GST 30.3
DAL 30.0
CHI 29.4
ORL 28.5
CLE 27.3
MIA 27.3
HOU 26.3
DET 26.1
TOR 25.5
PNX 24.8
UTH 24.4
NJN 22.6
WAS 21.8
LAL 21.6
DEN 21.0
SAS 20.8

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?&cat1=Total&cat2=team&conference=NBA&year=postseason_2006&sort=237

Extra Stout
05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it's odd seeing a pistonfan throwing out some preemptive finals whining.

Not the norm around here.
EastsBeasts isn't near as bad as jeffdrums/SpursDynasty.

Extra Stout
05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
For the playoffs, the Spurs' have, on average, 0.25 more fouls called on them than their opponents have called on them -- 9th out of 16 teams.

The fix is definitely in.
But the Spurs actually commit 25 more fouls per game than any other team, 12 by Bruce Bowen alone.

Some guy with a blog says so.

DOMINATOR
05-13-2007, 11:56 PM
http://nickb.gabtopnetworksite.org/images/duncan.jpg

phyzik
05-14-2007, 01:30 PM
It was early in the playoffs, but here's a link to a thread discussing the point in time when the Spurs had the fewest FTA in the playoffs:

Actually, the Spurs still average the fewest FTA/G of any team in the 2007 playoffs:

GST 30.3
DAL 30.0
CHI 29.4
ORL 28.5
CLE 27.3
MIA 27.3
HOU 26.3
DET 26.1
TOR 25.5
PNX 24.8
UTH 24.4
NJN 22.6
WAS 21.8
LAL 21.6
DEN 21.0
SAS 20.8

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?&cat1=Total&cat2=team&conference=NBA&year=postseason_2006&sort=237

:tu was about to pull this out myself.

Amare_32
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=jacobdrj]Actually, the officiating has been decent this year. Not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, and there have been a few notable no-calls, but the playoffs is devoid of the horrible officiating that would have been present in, oh, I don't know, a Lakers-T`wolves series

No Wade thats why. :lol

Supergirl
05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
The idea that the Spurs benefit from calls is ridiculous. Duncan is CONSISTENTLY the only superstar who doesn't get a lot of leeway from the refs.

In the most recent series, the only two people getting less love from the refs are Vaughn and Manu - both have been hacked repeatedly and received no calls.

As far as teams go - I don't think there is one team that consistently gets away with more. I think overall, the refs do a pretty decent job.

A lot of people want to take issue with things that are just basic:
1. On a team's HC, calls are going to go a little more the way of the home team.
2. Refs will never call questionable contact in the end of a game, because they don't want made or missed FTs to be a deciding factor if the contact is questionable.
3. In general, the trend of the refs is to let the players play, as long as things aren't getting too heated
4. If things are too heated, refs will call a couple touch fouls to crack down on things.
5. There's always going to be major oversights.

These are just things about the nature of refereeing you have to live with.

hater
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM

GST 30.3
DAL 30.0
CHI 29.4
ORL 28.5
CLE 27.3
MIA 27.3
HOU 26.3
DET 26.1
TOR 25.5
PNX 24.8
UTH 24.4
NJN 22.6
WAS 21.8
LAL 21.6
DEN 21.0
SAS 20.8

:lol :owned