PDA

View Full Version : ok, is Tim a foreign player?

gaKNOW!blee
05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I see on the spurs game when they show how the Spurs have all these foreign players on thier roster and they always show Tim Duncan. Ive even seen espn.com do a top 10 foreign nba players and he was on the list. However I disagree with them.

Since Tim plays for the USA olympic team, IMO he is an American player. what do you think?

its obviously not a big deal where hes from or what kind of player he is, im just wondering.

T Park
05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
TECHNICALLY I think, Im prob wrong here, but I think he technically is a foreign player.

The picture of Ginobili with the argentinian flag, duncan the VI flag and parker the french flag was pretty cool

exstatic
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Well he was born in US territory, but not in any of the 50 states. Do you consider Puerto Ricans to be foreign? I'm sure the NBA does.

Trainwreck2100
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
He plays for the US team because when he played his his first qualifier (i don't know the year) the Virgin Islands had no olympic bball team. They send a team to the qualifiers now, but since Duncan already played for the US he couldn't switch.

BigBeezie
I consider Tim an American and obviously the Olympic comittee does too.

gaKNOW!blee
Well he was born in US territory, but not in any of the 50 states. Do you consider Puerto Ricans to be foreign? I'm sure the NBA does.

Yeah you have a point, but they do call them the US virgin islands.

Dr.SpursLover
05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
He was born in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Any birth within U.S. territory, including the U.S. Virgin Islands, are given U.S. citizenship including a U.S. social security number. The NBA uses Duncan as a foreign player when it is good for publicity and likewise also considers him an American when it helps their cause.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Tim was born on a "foreign" island that happens to be an unincorporated U.S. territory. USVI has their own government, etc. Though they are U.S. citizens, they can't vote in our Presidential election and the such.

So to me, Tim is a foreign player and an American player. :lol

bdictjames
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
He was born in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Any birth within U.S. territory, including the U.S. Virgin Islands, are given U.S. citizenship including a U.S. social security number. The NBA uses Duncan as a foreign player when it is good for publicity and likewise also considers him an American when it helps their cause.
Ding-ding I think we have a winner!! :clap

exstatic
05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Pssst....since he re-established his USVI residence before he signed his big contract, he pays no Federal income tax.

T Park
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
since he re-established his USVI residence before he signed his big contract, he pays no Federal income tax.

Niiiiice Timmy :tu

exstatic
05-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Niiiiice Timmy :tu
He did some tourism shit for them after the '99 championship. I think he owns the family home down there.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2007, 10:41 PM
He did some tourism shit for them after the '99 championship. I think he owns the family home down there.

I think he actually contracted to do some tourism stuff for them for like 10 years or something. I remember hearing that a long while back.

T Park
05-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Gets 15 mill a year and no fed tax.

Im jealous timmy :lol

spurs1990
05-13-2007, 10:44 PM
So Duncan lives in the VI in the offseason or does he maintain year round residence in SA?

exstatic
05-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I think he actually contracted to do some tourism stuff for them for like 10 years or something. I remember hearing that a long while back.
Best

endorsement

deal

ever.

:lol:rollin

exstatic
05-13-2007, 10:47 PM
So Duncan lives in the VI in the offseason or does he maintain year round residence in SA?
I think he still owns the home, but his sisters both live stateside now, I believe. I'm sure he goes back there about every summer, but I doubt he lives there.

TampaDude
05-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Timmay screws the other teams AND the IRS...legally...ya gotta love it!!! :lol

boutons_
05-13-2007, 11:41 PM
"Gets 15 mill a year and no fed tax."

Taxation isn't based on citizenship, but primarily by residence. Tim, or any foreigner, who is legally resident in the USA is subject to income taxes.

spurs1990
05-13-2007, 11:49 PM
"Gets 15 mill a year and no fed tax."

Taxation isn't based on citizenship, but primarily by residence. Tim, or any foreigner, who is legally resident in the USA is subject to income taxes.

Well then at most he's paying for income earned Nov-Apr, when he's residing in SA. So since the NBA pays it's players only during the regular season, all of Duncan's salary is taxed. Just playing CPA.

zrinkill
05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes ..... Tim is a foreign player.

Summers
05-14-2007, 06:33 AM
He had it set up so his taxes are paid to the VI, IIRC.

word
05-14-2007, 06:38 AM

Ever heard of a Puerto Rican passport ? No such thing. Nor is there such a thing as a 'Virgin Islands' passport. He's an American.

Buddy Holly
05-14-2007, 06:41 AM
He's not American, an American is born on American soil. Neither the VI or PR is American soil no matter if you need or have to have pass port, they're simply U.S. territories.

The reason the VI and PR are so closely associated with America is because of their close proximity to America as opposed to Swains Island which is a US territory but if someone born and raised their were playing in the NBA, they'd be classified immediately as a foreign player.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
He plays for the US team because when he played his his first qualifier (i don't know the year) the Virgin Islands had no olympic bball team. They send a team to the qualifiers now, but since Duncan already played for the US he couldn't switch.
He played for the VI team one year, didn't he? I could swear I remember that.

MadDog73
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
He played for the VI team one year, didn't he? I could swear I remember that.

I don't think so....

one year, he didn't play a game against VI Olympic team while on the American team. (it was a qualifier I believe, and the US still won).

LilMissSPURfect
05-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Tim is Foreign only to the opposition

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
He's not American, an American is born on American soil. Neither the VI or PR is American soil no matter if you need or have to have pass port, they're simply U.S. territories.

The reason the VI and PR are so closely associated with America is because of their close proximity to America as opposed to Swains Island which is a US territory but if someone born and raised their were playing in the NBA, they'd be classified immediately as a foreign player.

:lol Is that your rule for being an American? Because according to the government he's a U.S. citizen, so some people might say he's American. Since Steve Kerr was born in Beirut, does that mean he isn't American too?

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't think so....

one year, he didn't play a game against VI Olympic team while on the American team. (it was a qualifier I believe, and the US still won).
Yeah, that sounds right. Maybe that's what I was thinking.

MadDog73
05-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Just to confirm, Tim has only played in the Olympics once, for the US, in 2004.

He was supposed to in 2000, but as we all know, was injured that year (Suns fans should know that as well...)

Duncan's senior international career with the United States national team began in 1999. As a member of the 1999 USA Olympic Qualifying Team, he averaged 12.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg and 2.4 bpg and assisted the USA to a 10-0 finish en route to a qualifying berth for the 2000 Sydney Olympics; however, a knee injury forced him to stay out of the Olympic Games.[6] In 2003, Duncan led the USA team to a 10-0 recordand a qualifying berth for the 2004 Summer Olympics.[6] Duncan started all the games he played in and averaged team bests of 15.6 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.56 bpg, while shooting 60.7 percent from the field.[6] At the Olympics itself, the team lost three games on its way to a bronze medal.[20] The record represented more losses in a single year than in the 68 previous years combined. It was also the first time since NBA professionals became eligible that the U.S. men's basketball team returned home without gold medals.[20] After the tournament, Duncan commented, "I am about 95 percent sure my FIBA career is over. I'll try not to share my experiences with anyone."[21]

phyzik
05-14-2007, 05:52 PM
FYI, banks consider transaction done in US territories foreign because they are not part of the 50 states. Could be the same for the NBA.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Just to confirm, Tim has only played in the Olympics once, for the US, in 2004.

He was supposed to in 2000, but as we all know, was injured that year (Suns fans should know that as well...)
I have a Sprite can with Timmy in his olympic uniform from 2000. I always figured it might be valuable someday.