PDA

View Full Version : Suns focus on sticking to game plan against physical Spurs

powerpower
05-14-2007, 06:18 AM
After watching the postgame interview and sunday's practice comments, raja bell scares me to death.....he will try to do something ...and unfortunately the victim might be manu....or any of the spurs:(((

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0514NUsuns0514.html

Tough times
Suns focus on sticking to game plan against physical Spurs
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 14, 2007 12:00 AM

SAN ANTONIO - Toughness. It's not just for the Spurs anymore.

That is how the Suns are approaching tonight's Game 4 in San Antonio.

They need to match the Spurs toughness, but it's not about muscle. Bringing down the Spurs will take more backbone than brawn.

They know the only way to avoid a sixth consecutive loss at AT&T Center and a 3-1 hole that has been death for all but eight teams in NBA history is to play through the hacks, kicks and knees.

They are down 2-1 because they were not steely in a Game 3 loss Saturday.

It showed in many ways:

• When Shawn Marion lost the ball on a sure layup and then stuck around to argue an ensuing play, resulting in two Bruce Bowen open three-pointers that gave San Antonio the lead for good.

• When Steve Nash missed two layups against Tim Duncan and lost two round-the-back dribbles as Bowen jostled him.

• When Amaré Stoudemire returned for one play before picking up his fifth foul to open the fourth quarter.

• When Leandro Barbosa went on a turnover spree as the team got "antsy," according to coach Mike D'Antoni.

"We're going to have to be as mentally tough as they are," D'Antoni said.

Nash recently said the Suns' toughness was underrated. Tonight's game could make a more convincing statement, especially when a win would flip perception by giving Phoenix home-court advantage in a best-of-three setup.

The Suns' Raja Bell returned to the arena Sunday with the same edge he had leaving it on Saturday. He wasn't up for talking about the Spurs' supposed toughness.

"I'm sure they (the Spurs) are having a real good time with it so it's time to stop talking," Bell said.

"If you try to play their game with them, you're going to lose. They're good. They've done it year in and year out. They've done the playoffs year in and year out. They've won championships doing it. You can't do that. You have to play your game. Being tough is sticking to your game plan, playing your game despite whatever is going on around you, despite what they're trying to do to you, despite what this crowd is trying to do to you . . . There are a lot ways you can be tough, and they're not all physical."

The Suns are shooting at a high percentage and scoring enough points, and their defense has been solid for most of the playoffs. But key moments get away from them, such as when Nash left the game with the Spurs leading 72-71 and 1:49 to go in the third quarter Saturday. San Antonio finished the quarter on a 8-1 run and made it 10-1 off Stoudemire's fifth foul.

"The tendency here is whoever plays hard and tougher gets closer to winning the game, so we're going to try to bring the same juice and aggressiveness," Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said.

"We need to match their intensity and physicality, but I wouldn't expect anything less anyways," Nash said. "To me, the mental toughness encapsulates physical toughness, whereas physical toughness does not always encapsulate mental toughness."

That includes moving past a bad call or bad play quickly, Nash said.

Even Ginobili acknowledged the Suns can be physical. Then he qualified it. "Well, of course, some of the guys," he said.

Ginobili said he expects "desperation" from Phoenix tonight.

Stoudemire declared it a "must-win game."

"I don't know how much bigger you can get it," D'Antoni said. "Can't you also say it's a must-win for them?"

ponky
05-14-2007, 06:21 AM
jayzus fucking christ, enough with the crap already. what is this "scares me to death" nonsense? do you sleep with the lights on? it's freakin' basketball and yeah, this sounds OH SO SCAAAAAAARY, I'M SKEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRED!!!!

"There are a lot ways you can be tough, and they're not all physical." - Raja

powerpower
05-14-2007, 06:22 AM
jesus fucking christ, enough with the crap already. what is this "scares me to death" nonsense? do you sleep with the lights on? it's freakin' basketball and yeah, this sounds OH SO SCAAAAAAARY, I'M SKEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRED!!!!

"There are a lot ways you can be tough, and they're not all physical." - Raja

well, that's my impression

ponky
05-14-2007, 06:25 AM
well, that's my impression

ok, fair enough

Dro210
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Sounds like Bell is more frustrated with his team than the Spurs to me.... Bell can't complain about bein dirty or physical by a long shot, I think he knows that.... and I think he's mad that his team is falling apart under pressure (but thats because the spurs force that), getting thrown off the game plan theyve always had (but that's because the spurs force that), and most improtantly...

He was 4-4 from 3pt land early on in Game 3, and he didn't see another attempt all game while he watch the "MVP" go 0-9 to start the game.

kskonn
05-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Yea this does not worry me. I actually agree with everything that Bell said, Phoenix just has to play their game and hope they win. If they lose playing their game then so be it, but to lose a series because you tried to play like the other team is painful. You never know if you would have won just sticking to your game.

Kobulingam
05-14-2007, 07:36 AM
I hope Ely is dressed and has a blunt before the game. We might need him to kick Raja's ass.

L.I.T
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
This is my problem with all this talk...you don't just become 'tough' or 'physical' overnight. It's a culture thing, it has to be inculcated in the personality of the team. You don't just decide...hey lets all of a sudden be tough.

The typical result of saying, "I'm gonna be tough" is out of control and dangerous play.

ThomasGranger
05-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Bell's comment doesn't sound particularly menacing to me--in fact just the opposite. Given the context of the piece, it sounds like he is referring to mental toughness.

kskonn
05-14-2007, 07:46 AM
This is my problem with all this talk...you don't just become 'tough' or 'physical' overnight. It's a culture thing, it has to be inculcated in the personality of the team. You don't just decide...hey lets all of a sudden be tough.

The typical result of saying, "I'm gonna be tough" is out of control and dangerous play.

Yea a lot of people often confuse tough with sparatic out of control, swipe at everything, throw you body into people, type basketball. That could be dangerous.

However again by voicing this to the media before the game you can bet the refs will be sure to keep an eye on anything that might start to get out of control. I can't imagine the refs will just let them play like they have been but hey you never know.

GrandeDavid
05-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Nobody wants to get fined, suspended and cost their team. It will continue to be a hard fought series. I don't think tonight will be any different than the previous three games.

nkdlunch
05-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Bell will clothesline a Spur and get suspended for their last game of the season.

nkdlunch
05-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I hope Ely is dressed and has a blunt before the game. We might need him to kick Raja's ass.

a blunt? no, give him some crown royale...

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 09:20 AM
This goes for everyone, not just the thread starter ...

It helps if you are going to start so many threads that you actually start them with the title of the article or at least something indicating the subject matter, rather than stuff like "Wow".

Thanks.

LilMissSPURfect
05-14-2007, 09:21 AM
we shouldn't expect phoenix to lie down and take a beating and the suns ans their fans shouldn't expect the SPURS to cooperate either... again, its the playoffs you don't get anything handed to you!

MajorMike
05-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I forsee the Suns completely losing composure tonight, ala the Warriors at Dallas in game 2.

SequSpur
05-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Bell will clothesline a Spur and get suspended for their last game of the season.

Raja Bell ain't going to do shit.