PDA

View Full Version : Flagrant 1 For Bowen?

Taco
05-14-2007, 12:24 PM
A Co-worker Said He Heard On Phx Radio That Bowen Will Be Assessed A Flagrant 1 Foul

I Can't Find Anything On The Net.

Anyone Else Heard This?

Edit for Link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2870076

Bowen avoids punishment, will play in Game 4ESPN.com

SAN ANTONIO -- While Bruce Bowen's aggressive defensive style remains under the league's microscope, the San Antonio Spurs guard will not be suspended for Monday night's Game 4 against the Suns.

Bowen's knee to Steve Nash's groin in Game 3, originally whistled during the game as a personal foul, has been upgraded by the league to a Flagrant Foul 1, a league spokesman said. But that decision results in neither a fine nor a suspension for Bowen, who said at the Spurs' Monday morning shootaround that he has apologized to Nash.

"The reaction of the bench, it's easy to say, 'Oh, that was calculated on his behalf because of who it is.' But I have too much respect for Steve, two-time MVP, a great player, I have respect for him and I wouldn't do anything like that," Bowen said. "It's just part of the game, I think, that you have to be man enough at times, when you do something and it's not the right thing that you've done, you have to be man enough to say, 'Hey, I'm sorry for that.' That's all it was, in the spirit of competition."

The Spurs lead the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series 2-1.

Meanwhile, in the Warriors-Jazz Western semifinal, Baron Davis' elbow on Derek Fisher is under review but Jason Richardson's foul on Mehmet Okur is not being looked at for further punishment. Richardson's foul will remain classified a Flagrant Foul 2.

Players get points that can lead to suspensions for flagrant fouls. Bowen's is one point on his record, Richardson's is two points.

Bowen continues to be widely watched. The league decided to conduct a full investigation into Saturday's incident after declining to do so when Bowen was accused of intentionally kicking Amare Stoudemire in Game 2.

Stoudemire called Bowen and Manu Ginobili "dirty" players after the Game 2 tangle, in which Bowen admitted he "did clip" Stoudemire from behind on a dunk, but Nash has consistently refused to voice any public displeasure with Bowen's physical play, which the Suns believe was a factor in Nash's 0-for-9 shooting in the first half in Game 3.

On the play in question, Bowen pivoted in an attempt to clear space in the first minute of the second half and landed his knee between Nash's legs. Bowen insisted later that he apologized to Nash immediately.

Bowen told the San Antonio Express-News: "I said to him, 'Now, Steve, you know I didn't try to knee you there,' and he said, 'Yeah, absolutely, Bruce,' and we gave each other five."

In explaining what happened, Bowen said: "He was crowding me, and in this game you're taught to get people off of you. If someone is taking up your space, you have nothing to do. But with all the stuff that is going on with [me], I'm sure that will end up on YouTube."

How the Suns respond from a physicality standpoint to their 108-101 defeat in Game 3 has become the major story line of the series for the two active playoff teams with the best regular-season records.

Buddy Holly
05-14-2007, 12:26 PM
He was suspended!

http://xs115.xs.to/xs115/07201/bowensuspended.PNG

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
A Co-worker Said He Heard On Phx Radio That Bowen Will Be Assessed A Flagrant 1 Foul

I Can't Find Anything On The Net.

Anyone Else Heard This?

Ducks posted that Iavaroni said it on the radio in Phoenix, that it's flagrant 1 and no suspension. No official word yet.

Taco
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Ducks posted that Iavaroni said it on the radio in Phoenix, that it's flagrant 1 and no suspension. No official word yet.

found on another board
Marc Iavaroni (Suns assist. coach) said on XTRA Sports Radio 910 AM in Phoenix 5 minutes ago that the NBA notified them Bowen will receive a Flagrant 1. Ultimately, No Suspension.

www.xtra910.com

YEAH I JUST FOUND DUCK'S POST SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE THREAD

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
YEAH I JUST FOUND DUCK'S POST SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE THREAD

No problem, it's probably worth being its own thread if/when it becomes official.

alamo50
05-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I flagrant 1 means just a fine, right?

Extra Stout
05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I flagrant 1 means just a fine, right?
I don't think he even gets fined.

It does count as one flagrant-foul point. If he accumulates a total of 5 during the playoffs, he gets suspended one game.

nkdlunch
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
:lmao I knew it!

you guys get flustered for no reason.

spursfan09
05-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Ok so what just a fine? I didn't think it warrented a suspension. But Bowen please try not to do anythign questionable. I have a feeling this was a strike 2 for Bowen.

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Ok so what just a fine? ...

Nothing has officially happened yet. But reportedly the foul is just being upgraded to a Flagrant 1.

RiverwalkParade
05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Too bad. I was hoping Bowen would have to sit this one out so Manu could be in the starting lineup and pick up where he left off on Saturday. Even so, I think Manu should start over Bowen in this one just so Bruce can avoid early foul trouble. The refs will be blowing early whistles tonight.

Spurminator
05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
lol

Weakest flagrant foul ever.

jmard5
05-14-2007, 12:54 PM
No official news yet?

dbreiden83080
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Hopefully this is true the Suns are begging for Bowen or someone to get suspended here. They may try to bait Bowen into something tonight.

nkdlunch
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
expect many flops from suns

Spurs Brazil
05-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Flagrant 1 is BS

It was nothing

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Boston: what do you think the league going to do about Bruce Bowen's dirty play on nash?

John Hollinger: (2:09 PM ET ) Maybe a fine. Certainly not a suspenion. If anyone but Bowen had made that play we woudn't even be talking about it, except in a "ha ha wasn't that funny he got hit in the groin" TV-Bloopers kind of way.

Extra Stout
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Hopefully this is true the Suns are begging for Bowen or someone to get suspended here. They may try to bait Bowen into something tonight.
Pssht.

Bowen is far too smart to get baited into anything like that.

If the Suns get wrapped up in the physicality of the series, advantage Spurs.

DePastino
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
This smacks of appeasement.

But I can't believe that some of you are still complaining about this little slap on the wrist. It will have ZERO impact on the rest of the series.

angel_luv
05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
And what exactly is the flagrant for- kneeing Nash?

spursfan09
05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I think Bowen needs to cool it and be careful because you just know he's under a microscope right now.

Budkin
05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Hopefully Bowen will come out tonight and do what he's paid to do, play great solid defense while he's on the court (and hit a couple of those timely corner 3's as well).

NoMoneyDown
05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
It seems like Nash is the only one on the Sun's team with any balls, and Bruce was just trying to find out for sure. :lol

Ginofan
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
At least Bruce gets to continue his consecutive games streak!

JamStone
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
lol

Weakest flagrant foul ever.

If you're a guy, I hope you get kneed in the balls sometime soon. No way does it deserve a suspension, but I don't see the problem with it being changed to a flagrant foul.

Extra Stout
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Flagrant 1 is BS

It was nothing
A flagrant foul 1 is assessed for 'unnecessary' contact.

It was not necessary for Bowen to knee Nash in the groin.

This is not an unjust penalty.

spursfan09
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
If you're a guy, I hope you get kneed in the balls sometime soon. No way does it deserve a suspension, but I don't see the problem with it being changed to a flagrant foul.

I thought Nash was kneed in the thigh.

ambchang
05-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I thought a flagrant foul is assessed when there is no intention in going for the ball. Bowen went for both of them!

picnroll
05-14-2007, 01:26 PM
If Bowen got a flagrant 1 shouldn't this have been a flagrant 2?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6yggh9efD-M

Nashfan
05-14-2007, 01:26 PM
And what exactly is the flagrant for- kneeing Nash?

You are a little slow aren't you? :rolleyes

zrinkill
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
You are a little slow aren't you? :rolleyes

That would be Thomas trying to guard Tim.

Drive Like Jehu
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
I think Bowen needs to cool it and be careful because you just know he's under a microscope right now.

Bowen is always under a microscope.

Bruce is a smart defender and knows how to keep his feet moving. If Bowen constantly parked himself as close as Nash was, he would foul out by half time. Or worse, he'd recieve a lot more elbows and knees to his body.

Nash knows taking a charge required getting hit by the other player and Nash knows that it's hard to take a step forward without extending your knee. Nash positioned himself to take the charge. He made the play and got the call.

ducks
05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=2870076

Bowen avoids punishment, will play in Game 4
ESPN.com

SAN ANTONIO -- While Bruce Bowen's aggressive defensive style remains under the league's microscope, the San Antonio Spurs guard will not be suspended for Monday night's Game 4 against the Suns.

Bowen's knee to Steve Nash's groin in Game 3, originally whistled during the game as a personal foul, has been upgraded by the league to a Flagrant Foul 1, a league spokesman said. But that decision results in neither a fine nor a suspension for Bowen, who said at the Spurs' Monday morning shootaround that he has apologized to Nash.

"The reaction of the bench, it's easy to say, 'Oh, that was calculated on his behalf because of who it is.' But I have too much respect for Steve, two-time MVP, a great player, I have respect for him and I wouldn't do anything like that," Bowen said. "It's just part of the game, I think, that you have to be man enough at times, when you do something and it's not the right thing that you've done, you have to be man enough to say, 'Hey, I'm sorry for that.' That's all it was, in the spirit of competition."

The Spurs lead the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series 2-1.

Meanwhile, in the Warriors-Jazz Western semifinal, Baron Davis' elbow on Derek Fisher is under review but Jason Richardson's foul on Mehmet Okur is not being looked at for further punishment. Richardson's foul will remain classified a Flagrant Foul 2.

Players get points that can lead to suspensions for flagrant fouls. Bowen's is one point on his record, Richardson's is two points.

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
That article ducks just posted is stuck at the top of the forum. So I'll close this one.