PDA

View Full Version : SRJ's All-Access: D'Antoni's Pregame Prep

SRJ
05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
One of my trusty operatives was hiding in a laundry basket inside the Suns locker room today just after shootaround. Expert in shorthand, this man took detailed notes on this morning's strategy session. I offer the transcription of the meeting below:

(D'ANTONI is carefully examining his mustache for ten minutes straight while the SUNS wait patiently. Finally, KURT THOMAS speaks)

THOMAS: Coach?

D'ANTONI: Oh, sorry Kit.

THOMAS: Kurt.

D'ANTONI: Kit, Kurt, who really cares? Can you shoot the three?

THOMAS: No.

D'ANTONI: Then what am I talking to you for? Hey listen, men - we got us a little bit of a situation tonight.

AMARE: Coach, Bruce Bowen fouled me and they didn't call anything.

D'ANTONI: That's nice, Amare, we'll get to that in a-

AMARE: (interrupting) Can I punch him in the face?

D'ANTONI: (annoyed) For the fifth time this week, Amare - no, you may not punch anyone in the face.

AMARE: Awwww.

D'ANTONI: 'Mare? Hey, if we lose you to a suspension, then who's gonna be out there dunking for me?

(AMARE smiles sheepishly)

D'ANTONI: Who's my big dunker? Who? Amare is, that's who! You are!

(AMARE looks pleased)

D'ANTONI: Now. We need to address the pick-and-roll sit-

MARION: (upset, interrupting) What about me??

D'ANTONI: Shawn, what's the matter?

MARION: Why is he always the big dunker? I'm a good dunker too!

D'ANTONI: Yeah, but Shawn -

MARION: Everybody on this team gets awards except me! Amare, Rookie of the Year, All-NBA first team. Barbosa, sixth man. Diaw, Most Improved. Nash, MVP! Twice!

NASH: (as if in answer, addresses room with glassy-eyed stare, using hushed, I-just-saw-a-ghost voice) It's the playoffs. It gets more physical, there aren't any excuses. You just have to play through it.

J. ROSE: Is he OK, coach?

D'ANTONI: He's still in press conference mode. He'll be fine. Anyway, Shawn - trust me, I know more than anyone that you're underappreciated. Remember, Amare's the big dunker. But you're the high flier! A lot of guys can jump straight up and dunk with two hands, but you can takeoff from the line! Now that's cool!

AMARE: Hey coach, what are you trying to-

D'ANTONI: (cuts him off with a "Not now" glare) So like I was saying, on our pick-and-roll sets, Bowen and Ginobili are tending under the screens.

RAJA: (repeatedly pounding his fist into his open palm) 'Ey coach, you wan' me to take care of dem, mon?

D'ANTONI: We've got a gameplan for that Raja, but thanks.

RAJA: (muttering) Seem like you could just pop dem a good one, but wha' do I know, eh?

SEAN MARKS: I used to play here coach, and I can tell you-

D'ANTONI: (interrupting) What's that? You have a question, Garfunkel?

(all the other SUNS laugh)

MARKS: (bitterly, under breath) It was funny the first hundred times...

J. ROSE: Coach, we can talk strategy and all that, but I think the best thing we can do is to just go out there and score more than they do!

SUNS: YEAH!

THOMAS: If we play our game, no one can stop us!

SUNS: YEAH!!

NASH: It was a tough play. I was going for the ball, Tony was making his move, and we collided. These things happen sometimes.

SUNS: YEAAAAAAHHH!

CARLOS ARROYO: LE'S GO GET THIS RINGS!!

(D'ANTONI smiles broadly as the Suns leave the locker room. After a minute, he resumes his detailed mustache examination)

midgetonadonkey
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
You fail.

Extra Stout
I give that a 6.

nkdlunch
hahaha funny

41times
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Borderline Genius!

Kori Ellis
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I found the Marion/insecurity part slightly funny.

I guess the Bell part could have been funny if he actually had an accent:lol

Borosai
05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
I believe every single word. Seriously. :lol

mardigan
05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
SEAN MARKS: I used to play here coach, and I can tell you-

D'ANTONI: (interrupting) What's that? You have a question, Garfunkel?

(all the other SUNS laugh)

MARKS: (bitterly, under breath) It was funny the first hundred times...

Made me laugh outloud

hater
05-14-2007, 01:04 PM
You forgot to mention the part that all throughtout that exchange, Amare was doing pushups. :lol

timvp
05-14-2007, 01:44 PM
The Suns should get in trouble for having Carlos Arroyo in their locker room trying to help them out :madrun

Spurminator
05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I laughed. Nice work.

D'ANTONI: Who's my big dunker? Who? Amare is, that's who! You are!

(AMARE looks pleased)

:lol

caŽlo
05-14-2007, 02:02 PM
the garfunkel line was the best part!

LOL!

lefty
05-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Speaking of which, I remember watching some footage of D'Anthony the basketball player ; damn, he used to yap at everybody : opponents, refs... :blah :blah :madrun

Texas_Ranger
05-14-2007, 02:15 PM
:lol